Create the ultimate hero team.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Create the ultimate hero team.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Inspired in part by this board's recent mythological team thread, and other similar threads.

The purpose of this thread is to design the ultimate Multi-versal hero team. You can draw on any legend, mythology, work of fiction, or real world historical or major public figure, from any 'verse. The only stipulations are that this is a hero team, though anti-heroes are permitted (if people are interested, I will create a separate thread for villain teams); that the team should be capable of taking on a wide range of threats up to and including the cosmic/multi-dimensional apocalypse level; and that you try to keep the numbers down to no more than ten or so ('tis a team, not an army), although we can be flexible if the ideas are good enough. You can otherwise design a team following whatever criteria you please: maximum power, maximum versatility, maximum entertainment value, etc., though you should state the reasons for each inclusion.

Feel free to design multiple teams.

Have at it. :D

My first go:

Team Leader: Q (Star Trek franchise). This will be the more "responsible" Q who empathizes with humanity, from later in the franchise. He will use his powers to bring the team together, in finest SDN RAR tradition, to fight cosmic threats that even the Q can't handle.

Second in Command: President Abraham Lincoln (American history). Because I love Abe Lincoln. Sue me. :D Plus whenever I think of the sorry state of my country's politics today, I wish we had a leader like Abraham Lincoln around now. So yeah, wish fulfilment on my part.

He would provide a more sober, and human, counterpoint to Q's leadership.

Team Members:

River Tam ("Firefly"). Mostly because I can think of all sorts of awesome things to do with her mental abilities, and because an older, post-Serenity River would be interesting to explore.

Simon Tam ("Firefly"). Because every good team needs a doctor/medic/healer, and he and River should stay together.

Spike ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer"). Mostly for the snark. :D Plus someone knowledgeable about magic (which Spike is, despite his persona) will be useful.

Bruce Wayne/Batman (The Dark Knight Trilogy). Always wanted to see what he'd be like post-DKR. Would also take the role of a "ordinary modern human viewpoint character", which works because Nolan/Bale Batman never really encountered the supernatural. Though I have others for that.

Selina Kyle/Catwoman (The Dark Knight Trilogy). Comes with Batman, and I think it would be interesting to explore their relationship, since "relationship" (at least in that sense) and "Batman" don't usually go together. She would provide a different "modern human" perspective to Bruce's as well, and be a bit more on the anti-hero side, perhaps.

Michael Carpenter, Knight of the Cross (The Dresden Files). I want a straight-up idealist, knight in shining armour type on the team, and his powers would be useful, while his limits will make for interesting plot lines if handled well. Plus I think he'd make almost as good a foil/straight man for Spike as for Harry Dresden.

The Doctor ("Doctor Who"). Protecting the universe is his job, and he comes with the TARDIS, who I want to include anyway. Probably Capaldi Doctor or Smith Doctor, although John Hurt's War Doctor would be an interesting alternative.

The TARDIS ("Doctor Who"). Transportation if Q is out of commission, and team HQ. Q is normally the only one who can converse with her (seeing those two interact ought to be amusing).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: Create the ultimate hero team.

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Just for fun, here is one that would be more interesting than successful, and are entirely from animated series because that seemed like an interesting limitation, especially given how few animated series I have actually watched:

Team leader: n/a, none of these characters do well following orders.

Sterling Archer: Because sometimes you are just in the danger zone.

Ahsoka Tano: Someone has to be the straight woman, and it would be interesting to see how Archer handles a girl with a lightsaber.

Jack Jack Parr: Because a baby with superpowers just has to be an interesting addition.

Scooby Doo and Shaggy: Having a detective character is probably useful, so why not add the least intelligent members of Mystery Inc.

Bugs Bunny: Anyone with his level of character shield is worth bringing to the table. That might be someone worth bringing in a serious sense.

Inspector Gadget: He has a nice bag of tricks, if only he had any clue as to how to use them. As a side note, I love the Robot Chicken Inspector Gadget terminator sketch, in which Penny kills him.

Snoopy: Because the team needs a dedicated pilot. Too bad he only knows how to fly WW1 biplanes.

I am half tempted to keep this limitation and make a serious list next. Also, poor Ahsoka, she is the only truly competent character on the list.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That... that's kind of an awesome team.

Poor Ashoka, though. What did she ever do to deserve having to deal with Sterling Archer as her boss? :wink:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I can't say I actually came up with that pairing on my own, it was something I saw in a bizarre cross universe RPG once and I found the idea amusing. I honestly can't remember anything about it other than that pairing so I just went with it.

Also, to clarify, Archer isn't in charge. There is no one in charge. He is simply at the top of the entirely arbitrary list.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

My second go:

The Council of Magi:

A team with a specifically supernatural bent. The qualification is that you are prepared to use magic to preserve our reality against apocalyptic threats.

Team Leader: Merlin (Arthurian mythology). Arguably the archetypal wizard. A councillor to a great king, and as I recall, supposed to have prophetic abilities. Should be useful in a leader.

Members:

Doctor Strange (MCU). Definitely capable of combatting threats on a cosmic scale, and he seemed like a fairly level-headed and decent man, at least by the end of the film.

Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings). Not a leader only because its not Gandalf's intended role, as I recall, to claim political power. But far too wise and iconic a wizard to be excluded.

Harry Dresden (The Dresden Files. Again, for the snark. Also the anti-hero on the team.

Willow Rosenberg ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer"). Her research and hacking skills will make a useful addition to the magic.

Newt Scamander (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. A genuinely good person, and one who I think can bring both comic relief and a unique skill set to this team. Plus, the man Spoiler
took down a dark lord with a bird. A magic bird, but still.
;)

Nynaeve al'Meara (The Wheel of Time). Okay, so what she does is called channeling, not magic, but it amounts to much the same thing. :wink: Team healer, plus I rather liked her characterization by the end of the series. And Wheel of Time is so overpowered, so she'll have more firepower than most of the team.

David Xanatos ("Gargoyles"). Brings resources, scientific knowledge, and tactical acumen to the team to make up for his somewhat limited magical ability.

Susan Sto Helit (Discworld). For the DEATH-related knowledge and powers.

Twilight Sparkle ("My Little Pony"). Purely for laughs, because what is life without a little absurdity? Plus taking something from a hyper-idealistic setting will make for an interesting contrast with the darker settings and characters I'm using here, and contrast is the soul of drama.