What would an Adam West version of Ras So Ghul be like?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

What would an Adam West version of Ras So Ghul be like?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Ras So Ghul, the iconic Batman and later DC villain, appeared in the 1970s, long after the campy version of Batman was fading away.

So, what if Ras So Ghul had been around for the 1960s? How would his character be different? What would be the same?

Who would best portray him on the 1960s TV show?

Discuss.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: What would an Adam West version of Ras So Ghul be like?

Post by Iroscato »

A few vague mental images come to mind of Ras lowering himself into the Lazarus Pit after walking up to it with a beautiful woman hooked onto each arm, musing on how to best Batman in mortal combat once and for all. His dress sense would've been beyond fabulous. He would've been quite threatening and ruthless by the show's standards, but still quite goofy overall.
I don't believe death would've been allowed in the show at the time (I've not seen all the episodes, but to my knowledge noody ever actually gets killed), so perhaps the Lazarus Pit would be a way of restoring his strength each time, or give him some other form of power (hypnotism to enthrall new members of the League, perhaps?). If death WAS allowed, his return after each resurrection would always be presented in typically OTT DUN-DUN-DUUUUUN fashion, with Batman and Robin being amazed at his return every time.
The League of Shadows/Assassins would be a laughably ineffective band of Hollywoodised ninjas, armed to the teeth with terrifying, intimidating rubber prop swords. Dispatching them would be a mildly strenuous distraction for the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder, but Ras would always escape and swear revenge.

As for who could portray him...it does precede the Jon Pertwee Doctor Who by a few years, but I reckon Roger Delgado would've been perfect - in both look and calculating, ruthless yet camp personae.

Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Funnily enough IMO not much would change. He'd still be into remaking the world in his own image and being immortal and all that; the only difference is that his plans will all the more hilariously convoluted and he'd HAM IT UP TO ELEVEN!

I'm all for BRIAN BLESSED to take the role, it wouldn't be the first time he's played a world conqueror.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Vincent Price was spry in the 60's. And he could roll out a decent monologue, even for a show like that. The onomatopoeia cards when he fights could be in illuminated letters or calligraphy... because, y'know, stylish fighting.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

GHETTO EDIT: if he hadn't already been tagged to do Egghead. :(
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Khaat wrote:Vincent Price was spry in the 60's. And he could roll out a decent monologue, even for a show like that. The onomatopoeia cards when he fights could be in illuminated letters or calligraphy... because, y'know, stylish fighting.
That would be hilarious. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ok ok guys, I know this may sound wierd but hear me out.

HIPPIE Ras So Ghul!

Think about! It's the 60s, the age of flower power!
What was Ras all about? like changing the world man!
Like totally about ending war and brining peace and brotherhood to mankind!
Think Trevor from IronMan 3.
Only, he doesn't act like the Mandarin, he acts like Trevor!!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Can he be a stylish hippy? ;)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Oh god yes.
Like, I see him as a "hippie" purely in his mannerism.
His still 1000 years old.. or however old Ras is supposed to be... But he evolves with the time.
At he's adopted "Hippie-ness" as a way of connecting and spreading his message.

So I'm envisioning this Dapper, stylish type look, with a cape or opera cloak...
But with smoked glasses of course...

So he's like, the "Refinded Gentleman HIPPIE" !
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!