Lovecraft Halloween [RAR!]

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

libertyjim
Youngling

Lovecraft Halloween [RAR!]

Post by libertyjim »

Hi guys I apologise for being late; I've been busy. Here's an injection of Lovecraftian horror directly into your eyeballs for this Halloween.

A member of the Great Race of Yith is at the foot of your bed when you wake up. Depicted here:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 5c20f4.jpg

Keep in mind that to actually see risks insanity so think of that image as an artist's interpretation. Assume you do not instantly go insane for the purposes of this RAR! It communicates to you that you must leave and warn everyone about the Elder Things that will emerge from their prison soon and wipe out all other life. It also warns that soon after they escape the Great Ones will return to usher in the End Times.

If you do not know anything about the Great Race of Yith or Elder Things or Great Ones then you can choose to look up info online as yourself in the RAR! if you like. Assume Lovecraft's work still exists and is unaltered. What do you do? I'm interested to know how you'd go about convincing people of this info and what kind of defense you might try to setup.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Lovecraft Halloween [RAR!]

Post by Solauren »

Ask it where the prison is, and how do we get nukes there?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If I do what it says do I get a guarantee that when the Awful Things arrive I will be among the first eaten?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
libertyjim
Youngling

Post by libertyjim »

Broomstick wrote:If I do what it says do I get a guarantee that when the Awful Things arrive I will be among the first eaten?
Probably not.
Solauren wrote:Ask it where the prison is, and how do we get nukes there?
It's coming to you with the problem not any solutions. Also the effectiveness of nukes is debatable and possibly not exactly what you want even if effective when a Great One is in the middle of New York for example.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Brush up on my Elder Sign and flood the Internet with my End Times GoFundMe.

[As an aside "Great Old Ones in NYC" may not be so much a nuke deterrent as perhaps incentive, depending on who has the red button. The SHIELD Security Council was cool to sign off with just a bunch of shooty space-sleds and akanti space whales.]
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Can I ask them for more specific information, such as where are the prisons and what do they look like, are there any intact prisons and so on? You know, useful information that if not stop the upcoming events at least have warning of them. If necessary, places where I can go with a handcam to record what these things are and show them as evidence.

Because the scenario is sort of setting up us as people that need to warn the rest of the world about the coming of the Elder Things. And we kind of need something more than "the end is nigh!".
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
libertyjim
Youngling

Post by libertyjim »

Khaat wrote:Brush up on my Elder Sign and flood the Internet with my End Times GoFundMe.

[As an aside "Great Old Ones in NYC" may not be so much a nuke deterrent as perhaps incentive, depending on who has the red button. The SHIELD Security Council was cool to sign off with just a bunch of shooty space-sleds and akanti space whales.]
End Times GoFundMe. That's genius and will probably get you some money. Also yeah I was thinking about the Avenger's as I was typing that.
Zixinus wrote:Can I ask them for more specific information, such as where are the prisons and what do they look like, are there any intact prisons and so on? You know, useful information that if not stop the upcoming events at least have warning of them. If necessary, places where I can go with a handcam to record what these things are and show them as evidence.

Because the scenario is sort of setting up us as people that need to warn the rest of the world about the coming of the Elder Things. And we kind of need something more than "the end is nigh!".
You can ask it things and it can let you know where the prison is and what the Elder Things look like (vaguely). Don't quite remember the exact geographic location as according to the Shadow out Time but I'll try to retrieve it. As for the 'the end is nigh' it'll tell you that the Great Old Ones returning is a sign of the End Times coming so to prevent the End Times you have to be rid of the Great Old Ones in some way if possible. It'll probably tell you about R'lyeh, it's location and Cthulhu and let you know about them waking up in lets say a year.