Doctor Strange

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lost Soal
Jedi Council Member

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Lost Soal » 2016-11-05 08:16am

AniThyng wrote:We know it's not Rhodie because he's air force, the mentioned in strange in a marine.

The bemused way Thor says "Earth has wizards now huh" :D

No, I sure he said Air Force Colonel. At the same time he said "some sort of experimental armour" when his identity as Warmachine is public knowledge and its not really experimental. Plus he knows Strange wants the publicity so saying Warmachine has broke his spine would get his attention, unless fo some reason billy didn't have any names to go with the files, which I find unlikely.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Postby LadyTevar » 2016-11-05 10:29pm

Lost Soal wrote:
AniThyng wrote:We know it's not Rhodie because he's air force, the mentioned in strange in a marine.

The bemused way Thor says "Earth has wizards now huh" :D

No, I sure he said Air Force Colonel. At the same time he said "some sort of experimental armour" when his identity as Warmachine is public knowledge and its not really experimental. Plus he knows Strange wants the publicity so saying Warmachine has broke his spine would get his attention, unless fo some reason billy didn't have any names to go with the files, which I find unlikely.
I will have to go back to see what he says exactly, but iirc someone in connection with Marvel has stated it's not Rhodie.

Thor says "So... Earth has Sorcerers now?", not wizards. Thor is also in NYC on a 'family matter' with Loki, and to get Loki out of NYC as fast as possible, Strange offers to help. Which means that Strange will be in Raganarok.

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

Lost Soal
Jedi Council Member

Postby Lost Soal » 2016-11-05 10:38pm

Doesn't really matter but he definitely says Wizards, not Sorcerers. Its also said off screen so there may have been multiple lines recorded for different countries.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Postby Gandalf » 2016-11-06 01:58am

LadyTevar wrote:
Knife wrote:Never really having read the Dr Strange comics, I really liked the movie. Well done, love the little funny bits and occasional tie in with other Marvel movies. To bad Strange didn't pull over and review Roadies case, or good that he did so we're not DOOOOOOMED as a planet.
That wasn't Rhodie. That was the poor bastard in Iron Man 2, where the Hammer-tech suit malfunctioned (thus setting the 'when' for the car wreck). Not sure who the girl with the implant in her head was.

That also sort of fits for the mention of his name in Captain America: Everyone's A Nazi.

Also, no way Rhodes is 35. :P
"How you wanna raise a flag with a rifle
To make us want to celebrate anything but survival?
Nah, you watching tele for The Bachelor
But wouldn’t read a book about a fuckload of massacres?"

- A.B. Original, January 26

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Postby madd0ct0r » 2016-11-06 05:05am

Girl with schizophrenia had controlling implant but was struck by lightning. That's got to be an origin story.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member

Postby EnterpriseSovereign » 2016-11-06 05:44pm

Who was that guy killed at the end, when the other one said something like there being too many sorcerers?

I was definitely glad that I'd read about Dormammu before seeing the film, otherwise I might not have gotten the significance of his appearance- you can bet that we haven't seen the last of him.

The Wiki page also says Strange will return for Ragnarok, at least between now and then we have Guardians of the Galaxy 2 to look forward to. And Spiderman Homecoming, though how well they'll integrate him in to the rest of the MCU is too early to say. At the moment, I'm thinking Black Panther will be when the last Infinity Stone comes into play...
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Your claim of using a scientific equation is laughable when all you have done is butcher science to the point it makes 'The Core' look like a fucking documentary. Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

Lost Soal
Jedi Council Member

Postby Lost Soal » 2016-11-06 06:09pm

Jonathan Pangborn, the guy who sent Strange to Peru

Ivanova is always right.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Postby Knife » 2016-11-06 06:24pm

Lost Soal wrote:Jonathan Pangborn, the guy who sent Strange to Peru

Yeah, it was the circle of life thing. Pangorn was the guy Strange heard about from the physical therapist about recovering miraculously, and tracked down and told him to go to Katmandu. Made the show come full circle.

Got to admit didn't read the Dr Strange comics, need to go read up on Dormanmmu. Totally figured it's his nemesis but don't know shit about it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Postby LadyTevar » 2016-11-06 08:17pm

:banghead:
TIBET! Kathmandu is in TIBET. TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONTINENT!!!

But yes, Jonathan Pangborn was the guy mentioned by the Physical Therapist ("Just to prove you wrong"), who had suffered a severed spine and yet was up and walking. As the Ancient One said, Pangborn had a gift for magic, but instead of using it to help, he was using it to make himself able to walk despite his wounds.
When Mordu steals his magic (for 'perverting nature'), Pangborn is left as he was before -- paraplegic

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Postby LadyTevar » 2016-11-06 08:20pm

Knife wrote:Got to admit didn't read the Dr Strange comics, need to go read up on Dormanmmu. Totally figured it's his nemesis but don't know shit about it.

Dormammu
Mordo Although I have to say I prefer this new look at Mordo

Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Postby Deathstalker » 2016-11-07 05:54pm

Found the following at Den of Geek Dr. Strange article

While I don't think either of the other potential patients mentioned to Stephen Strange on that call before he crashes have any greater Marvel Universe significance, one definitely stands out: the Air Force Colonel who crushed his spine wearing experimental armor. That almost has to be a reference to James "Rhodey" Rhodes, who met a tragic fate in Captain America: Civil War.

Now, this has ramifications for the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline, too. These movies tend to take place in "real time" (as in, the order they were released to theaters is usually the order that the events happened). I had just naturally assumed that the origin sequence of this movie had to take place earlier than recent Marvel movies (in part because of the Stephen Strange namedrop in Captain America: The Winter Soldier...why would SHIELD be monitoring him back then, right?). It doesn't.

And since we can assume that Stephen Strange's journey from neurosurgeon at the top of his field to Sorcerer Supreme had to take at least six months (and really, the timeline for this movie should really be something more like a year), maybe things will line up in real time again when Thor: Ragnarok comes out next year.

Now, few folks in the comments are making a good case that this could actually refer to injuries sustained by faulty Justin Hammer tech in Iron Man 2, and I have to say...it would make sense. BUT...Several of you have pointed out that there's an award visible in Stephen's apartment that clearly says 2016 on it. Not to mention the fact that you can see Avengers Tower in the NYC skyline, which places this well after the events of Iron Man 2 and right in line with "contemporary" Marvel movies. With that being the case, I have to stick with the Rhodey theory for the identity of the patient. For now. While personally I think at least the first half of this movie should take place before other recent Marvel flicks, I think the reality is, it remains in sequence/chronological with everything else. Since it covers so much time, we can probably assume that this takes us right up to next year's Thor: Ragnarok.

It's a nitpicky timeline thing, doesn't really take away from anything.

I could see Dr. Strange the neurosurgeon being targeted by Zola's algorithm.

Lost Soal
Jedi Council Member

Postby Lost Soal » 2016-11-07 06:35pm

LadyTevar wrote:
:banghead:
TIBET! Kathmandu is in TIBET. TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONTINENT!!!

But yes, Jonathan Pangborn was the guy mentioned by the Physical Therapist ("Just to prove you wrong"), who had suffered a severed spine and yet was up and walking. As the Ancient One said, Pangborn had a gift for magic, but instead of using it to help, he was using it to make himself able to walk despite his wounds.
When Mordu steals his magic (for 'perverting nature'), Pangborn is left as he was before -- paraplegic

Sorry, I miss-remembered the location text as Peru instead of Nepal. Marvel removed Tibet completely so they could market to China

Deathstalker wrote:Found the following at Den of Geek Dr. Strange article

While I don't think either of the other potential patients mentioned to Stephen Strange on that call before he crashes have any greater Marvel Universe significance, one definitely stands out: the Air Force Colonel who crushed his spine wearing experimental armor. That almost has to be a reference to James "Rhodey" Rhodes, who met a tragic fate in Captain America: Civil War.

Now, this has ramifications for the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline, too. These movies tend to take place in "real time" (as in, the order they were released to theaters is usually the order that the events happened). I had just naturally assumed that the origin sequence of this movie had to take place earlier than recent Marvel movies (in part because of the Stephen Strange namedrop in Captain America: The Winter Soldier...why would SHIELD be monitoring him back then, right?). It doesn't.

And since we can assume that Stephen Strange's journey from neurosurgeon at the top of his field to Sorcerer Supreme had to take at least six months (and really, the timeline for this movie should really be something more like a year), maybe things will line up in real time again when Thor: Ragnarok comes out next year.

Now, few folks in the comments are making a good case that this could actually refer to injuries sustained by faulty Justin Hammer tech in Iron Man 2, and I have to say...it would make sense. BUT...Several of you have pointed out that there's an award visible in Stephen's apartment that clearly says 2016 on it. Not to mention the fact that you can see Avengers Tower in the NYC skyline, which places this well after the events of Iron Man 2 and right in line with "contemporary" Marvel movies. With that being the case, I have to stick with the Rhodey theory for the identity of the patient. For now. While personally I think at least the first half of this movie should take place before other recent Marvel flicks, I think the reality is, it remains in sequence/chronological with everything else. Since it covers so much time, we can probably assume that this takes us right up to next year's Thor: Ragnarok.

It's a nitpicky timeline thing, doesn't really take away from anything.

I could see Dr. Strange the neurosurgeon being targeted by Zola's algorithm.

I missed Avengers Tower both times. Nevermind. Is Avengers Tower still in New York currently, they stopped using it when they moved to the compound at the end of Ultron. Thought it would go back to just being Stark Tower

Ivanova is always right.

EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member

Postby EnterpriseSovereign » 2016-11-07 08:21pm

I still doubt it's Rhodey, the War Machine armour definitely isn't experimental. It's gotta be the test pilot from IM2 who was crippled when the Hammer suit he was wearing twisted through 180 degrees.

Re: Avengers tower and compound. Let's not forget that post Civil War, the Avengers team no longer exists. Since Cap broke them out of the floating prison, everyone on his side will have gone into hiding while the Accords are in effect- most likely in Wakanda.

The only members left are Iron Man, Vision and Spiderman. Rhodey's out of it unless his condition improves and Thor/Hulk are offworld.

The introduction of Dormammu makes me wonder if the upcoming Infinity War is going to be between him and Thanos- From what we saw Strange do with the Eye of Agamotto we can infer that Dormammu does have some vulnerability to the effects of the Infinity Stones.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Your claim of using a scientific equation is laughable when all you have done is butcher science to the point it makes 'The Core' look like a fucking documentary. Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

Kojiro
Jedi Master

Postby Kojiro » 2016-11-07 11:42pm

Does anyone else feel the ending was rather weak?

Spoiler
I know Strange is supposed to be a hero and all, but even heroes break. He's essentially locked himself into being tortured/killed (in a variety of different ways) indefinitely, and bet he can endure that longer than Dormamu can tolerate the situation. Dormamu is on the cusp of gaining that which it most wants in all the universe- the Earth- and this would seem like decent motivation for it to persist for some time.
Dragon Clan Veritech