Doctor Strange

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

User avatar
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1511
Joined: 2004-01-20 02:22am
Contact:

Doctor Strange

Postby Deathstalker » 2016-10-29 06:37pm

The Deathstalker saw a sneak preview today. A very enjoyable movie.
Image

bilateralrope
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3393
Joined: 2005-06-25 06:50pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby bilateralrope » 2016-10-30 12:24am

How did Doctor Strange get a New Zealand release before the US release ?

User avatar
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device
Posts: 1324
Joined: 2005-10-18 11:35pm
Location: The Palouse, armpit of Washington.

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby DesertFly » 2016-10-30 01:02am

bilateralrope wrote:How did Doctor Strange get a New Zealand release before the US release ?

Welcome to the Strange (no pun intended) world of international movie releases. Britain at least also has it before the U.S.

The only explanation I have seen for this sort of thing is in an attempt to minimize piracy, but that is usually in relation to poorer countries. I'm not sure why "Western" countries are earlier in the release schedule.
Proud member of the no sigs club.

bilateralrope
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3393
Joined: 2005-06-25 06:50pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby bilateralrope » 2016-10-30 01:17am

A simultaneous release would minimise piracy more than any staggered release.

User avatar
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover
Posts: 8092
Joined: 2002-07-07 03:04am
Location: Wasting time instead of money
Contact:

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Ace Pace » 2016-10-30 01:48am

Last time I looked into it, it related to local laws on distribution. For example, in Israel, movies are released on Thursday and not Friday due to religious laws. If I recall correctly, there's a similar law in France regarding the publishing date.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |

bilateralrope
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3393
Joined: 2005-06-25 06:50pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby bilateralrope » 2016-10-30 02:09am

The thing I usually see is that the NZ and US releases are so close together that I can't spot the difference when watching people discuss them on various forums. But for this movie we have an Oct 27 (thurs) release for NZ and a Nov 4 (fri) release for the US. So there is something unusual regarding the distribution of Doctor Strange.

I'm planning to see it next friday.

User avatar
Lost Soal
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2415
Joined: 2002-10-22 06:25am
Location: Back in Newcastle.

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Lost Soal » 2016-10-30 02:26am

We've had it since Tuesday, and its really damn good
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.

User avatar
Kojiro
Jedi Master
Posts: 1281
Joined: 2005-05-31 06:04pm
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Kojiro » 2016-10-30 03:28am

It was quite good up until the end. Which wasn't bad, but the.. mechanism used to triumph was particularly weak in my eyes.
Dragon Clan Veritech

User avatar
Bedlam
Jedi Master
Posts: 1158
Joined: 2006-09-23 11:12am
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Bedlam » 2016-10-30 06:04am

I think at least the UK release was actually more to do with sales. Last week was the school half term holiday for most of England so there was more chance for 12-16 year old demographic to see it. I don't know what the target audience would be for Strange, maybe a little higher than that but it probably didn't hurt.

User avatar
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner
Posts: 396
Joined: 2003-03-04 02:11pm
Location: Valhöll

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby ANGELUS » 2016-10-30 03:32pm

DesertFly wrote:The only explanation I have seen for this sort of thing is in an attempt to minimize piracy, but that is usually in relation to poorer countries. I'm not sure why "Western" countries are earlier in the release schedule.


Regarding tha poorer countries thing, I don't think it's accurate. We've had it here in Mexico since last thursday... I'm actually going to see it today.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~

User avatar
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage
Posts: 18768
Joined: 2003-02-12 10:59pm
Location: Tahalshia Manor

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby LadyTevar » 2016-10-30 05:47pm

The BBC reports the international box office has one of the highest opening weekends of any movie this year. Not Surprised, really.
Image

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

Ralin
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2079
Joined: 2008-08-28 04:23am

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Ralin » 2016-10-31 01:39am

Dunno the whys, but I've seen Hollywood movies premiere in Hong Kong before America, and Hong Kong definitely doesn't qualify as poor. Also Strange has been out there since at least Saturday.

User avatar
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device
Posts: 1324
Joined: 2005-10-18 11:35pm
Location: The Palouse, armpit of Washington.

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby DesertFly » 2016-10-31 02:17am

I'm not trying to characterize any particular country as poor (and therefore as "lesser"). All I was saying is the impressions I've read from various websites. I honestly don't know why different countries have staggered release dates--all I am really concerned with is the fact that I get to watch it days after other people. :(
Proud member of the no sigs club.

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1657
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby EnterpriseSovereign » 2016-10-31 02:45pm

I just got back from the cinema and I was right - the Eye of Agamotto does indeed turn out to be an Infinity Stone. The green time stone, to be exact- the surprise came from the presence of Dormammu, it would seem at first glance they're setting up a rival to Thanos. The visuals were every bit as trippy as expected- doubly so since I saw it in 3D :lol:

Thor's cameo at the end serves as a lead up to Ragnarok (which is still a year away, mind).

I also caught the trailer for Guardians Of the Galaxy, Vol. 2. It looks like Groot hasn't quite grown back to his previous size as he's seen piggybacking on RR :mrgreen:
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Your claim of using a scientific equation is laughable when all you have done is butcher science to the point it makes 'The Core' look like a fucking documentary. Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6269
Joined: 2010-09-03 09:31pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Borgholio » 2016-10-31 05:02pm

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:I just got back from the cinema and I was right - the Eye of Agamotto does indeed turn out to be an Infinity Stone. The green time stone, to be exact- the surprise came from the presence of Dormammu, it would seem at first glance they're setting up a rival to Thanos. The visuals were every bit as trippy as expected- doubly so since I saw it in 3D :lol:

Thor's cameo at the end serves as a lead up to Ragnarok (which is still a year away, mind).

I also caught the trailer for Guardians Of the Galaxy, Vol. 2. It looks like Groot hasn't quite grown back to his previous size as he's seen piggybacking on RR :mrgreen:


Spoiler tags exist for a reason buddy.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

User avatar
Knife
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15311
Joined: 2002-08-30 02:40pm
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Contact:

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Knife » 2016-11-04 08:45pm

Never really having read the Dr Strange comics, I really liked the movie. Well done, love the little funny bits and occasional tie in with other Marvel movies. To bad Strange didn't pull over and review Roadies case, or good that he did so we're not DOOOOOOMED as a planet.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

User avatar
Lost Soal
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2415
Joined: 2002-10-22 06:25am
Location: Back in Newcastle.

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Lost Soal » 2016-11-04 09:08pm

I still want to know what his car was made of. I once crashed into the back of a BMW at about 30 and my car was in worse condition than his after going through a virtual pinball machine at 100mph

edit for spelling
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.

User avatar
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage
Posts: 18768
Joined: 2003-02-12 10:59pm
Location: Tahalshia Manor

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby LadyTevar » 2016-11-04 11:57pm

Knife wrote:Never really having read the Dr Strange comics, I really liked the movie. Well done, love the little funny bits and occasional tie in with other Marvel movies. To bad Strange didn't pull over and review Roadies case, or good that he did so we're not DOOOOOOMED as a planet.
That wasn't Rhodie. That was the poor bastard in Iron Man 2, where the Hammer-tech suit malfunctioned (thus setting the 'when' for the car wreck). Not sure who the girl with the implant in her head was.

Did love the first stinger. Magically refilling tankard FTW!
Image

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

User avatar
Knife
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15311
Joined: 2002-08-30 02:40pm
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Contact:

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Knife » 2016-11-05 12:20am

LadyTevar wrote:
Knife wrote:Never really having read the Dr Strange comics, I really liked the movie. Well done, love the little funny bits and occasional tie in with other Marvel movies. To bad Strange didn't pull over and review Roadies case, or good that he did so we're not DOOOOOOMED as a planet.
That wasn't Rhodie. That was the poor bastard in Iron Man 2, where the Hammer-tech suit malfunctioned (thus setting the 'when' for the car wreck). Not sure who the girl with the implant in her head was.

Did love the first stinger. Magically refilling tankard FTW!


Yeah, Thor doesn't like tea. It was a good tit for tat.

You sure, I was thinking that it was Roadie after Cap civil war.
Last edited by Knife on 2016-11-05 12:20am, edited 1 time in total.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

User avatar
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage
Posts: 18768
Joined: 2003-02-12 10:59pm
Location: Tahalshia Manor

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby LadyTevar » 2016-11-05 12:20am

Lost Soal wrote:I still want to know what his car was made of. I once crashed into the back of a BMW at about 30 and my car was in worse condition than his after going through a virtual pinball machine at 100mph
My nephew said that scene totally threw the movie for him, as "no one would survive that crash and still be that pretty"
Image

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

User avatar
Knife
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15311
Joined: 2002-08-30 02:40pm
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Contact:

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Knife » 2016-11-05 12:22am

LadyTevar wrote:
Lost Soal wrote:I still want to know what his car was made of. I once crashed into the back of a BMW at about 30 and my car was in worse condition than his after going through a virtual pinball machine at 100mph
My nephew said that scene totally threw the movie for him, as "no one would survive that crash and still be that pretty"


I'm no expert but deal with the aftermath of MVA's and MVA's with motorcycles, seems plausible to me. Though if his hands were 'that bad' chances other parts would be as well. I get thematically why his hands, but chances are more, say his arms. Or if just one side, his arm and corresponding leg.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

User avatar
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage
Posts: 18768
Joined: 2003-02-12 10:59pm
Location: Tahalshia Manor

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby LadyTevar » 2016-11-05 12:31am

Knife wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:That wasn't Rhodie. That was the poor bastard in Iron Man 2, where the Hammer-tech suit malfunctioned (thus setting the 'when' for the car wreck).


You sure, I was thinking that it was Roadie after Cap civil war.
No, because that would have the time-line too far forward. The crash would have taken at least a month to heal from, and Strange probably spent another year on his 7 surgeries (if not longer). Then came his studies with The Ancient One, which had to have been a few years just to learn the physical fighting skills, on top of what he learned magically. Eidetic Memory may have helped with his studies, but the fighting had to be learnt the hard way
Image

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

User avatar
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage
Posts: 18768
Joined: 2003-02-12 10:59pm
Location: Tahalshia Manor

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby LadyTevar » 2016-11-05 12:43am

Knife wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
Lost Soal wrote:I still want to know what his car was made of. I once crashed into the back of a BMW at about 30 and my car was in worse condition than his after going through a virtual pinball machine at 100mph
My nephew said that scene totally threw the movie for him, as "no one would survive that crash and still be that pretty"


I'm no expert but deal with the aftermath of MVA's and MVA's with motorcycles, seems plausible to me. Though if his hands were 'that bad' chances other parts would be as well. I get thematically why his hands, but chances are more, say his arms. Or if just one side, his arm and corresponding leg.
But nothing else was that bad, that's the point. The scene was cinematic, but far too violent to wreck just his hands.
We see the airbag go and he rebounds forward. We see his hands fly forward and impact the steering wheel. That would be enough to break the metacarpals. Then we see the dashboard crumple and fold over the steering wheel. That would crush the fingers and trap his hands, leading to the nerve damage. The scene could have ended Right There, and he'd be in the same situation.

The rest of the crash, through a wall, down the hill, through a second wall (?), and landing upside down almost in the water was overkill. He'd have massive internal injuries that would have killed him in the time it took to find him.
Image

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

AniThyng
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2426
Joined: 2003-09-08 12:47pm
Location: Took an arrow in the knee.
Contact:

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby AniThyng » 2016-11-05 01:52am

We know it's not Rhodie because he's air force, the mentioned in strange in a marine.

The bemused way Thor says "Earth has wizards now huh" :D
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P

User avatar
Bedlam
Jedi Master
Posts: 1158
Joined: 2006-09-23 11:12am
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: Doctor Strange

Postby Bedlam » 2016-11-05 07:34am

LadyTevar wrote: Magically refilling tankard FTW!


Got to be careful with that, in mythology when someone tried that on Thor it lead to the creation of tides :)


Return to “Fantasy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests