Doctor Strange

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Re: Doctor Strange

Post by Lost Soal »

AniThyng wrote:We know it's not Rhodie because he's air force, the mentioned in strange in a marine.

The bemused way Thor says "Earth has wizards now huh" :D
No, I sure he said Air Force Colonel. At the same time he said "some sort of experimental armour" when his identity as Warmachine is public knowledge and its not really experimental. Plus he knows Strange wants the publicity so saying Warmachine has broke his spine would get his attention, unless fo some reason billy didn't have any names to go with the files, which I find unlikely.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lost Soal wrote:
AniThyng wrote:We know it's not Rhodie because he's air force, the mentioned in strange in a marine.

The bemused way Thor says "Earth has wizards now huh" :D
No, I sure he said Air Force Colonel. At the same time he said "some sort of experimental armour" when his identity as Warmachine is public knowledge and its not really experimental. Plus he knows Strange wants the publicity so saying Warmachine has broke his spine would get his attention, unless fo some reason billy didn't have any names to go with the files, which I find unlikely.
I will have to go back to see what he says exactly, but iirc someone in connection with Marvel has stated it's not Rhodie.

Thor says "So... Earth has Sorcerers now?", not wizards. Thor is also in NYC on a 'family matter' with Loki, and to get Loki out of NYC as fast as possible, Strange offers to help. Which means that Strange will be in Raganarok.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Doesn't really matter but he definitely says Wizards, not Sorcerers. Its also said off screen so there may have been multiple lines recorded for different countries.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote:
Knife wrote:Never really having read the Dr Strange comics, I really liked the movie. Well done, love the little funny bits and occasional tie in with other Marvel movies. To bad Strange didn't pull over and review Roadies case, or good that he did so we're not DOOOOOOMED as a planet.
That wasn't Rhodie. That was the poor bastard in Iron Man 2, where the Hammer-tech suit malfunctioned (thus setting the 'when' for the car wreck). Not sure who the girl with the implant in her head was.
That also sort of fits for the mention of his name in Captain America: Everyone's A Nazi.

Also, no way Rhodes is 35. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Girl with schizophrenia had controlling implant but was struck by lightning. That's got to be an origin story.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Who was that guy killed at the end, when the other one said something like there being too many sorcerers?

I was definitely glad that I'd read about Dormammu before seeing the film, otherwise I might not have gotten the significance of his appearance- you can bet that we haven't seen the last of him.

The Wiki page also says Strange will return for Ragnarok, at least between now and then we have Guardians of the Galaxy 2 to look forward to. And Spiderman Homecoming, though how well they'll integrate him in to the rest of the MCU is too early to say. At the moment, I'm thinking Black Panther will be when the last Infinity Stone comes into play...
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Jonathan Pangborn, the guy who sent Strange to Peru

Ivanova is always right.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Lost Soal wrote:Jonathan Pangborn, the guy who sent Strange to Peru
Yeah, it was the circle of life thing. Pangorn was the guy Strange heard about from the physical therapist about recovering miraculously, and tracked down and told him to go to Katmandu. Made the show come full circle.

Got to admit didn't read the Dr Strange comics, need to go read up on Dormanmmu. Totally figured it's his nemesis but don't know shit about it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

:banghead:
TIBET! Kathmandu is in TIBET. TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONTINENT!!!

But yes, Jonathan Pangborn was the guy mentioned by the Physical Therapist ("Just to prove you wrong"), who had suffered a severed spine and yet was up and walking. As the Ancient One said, Pangborn had a gift for magic, but instead of using it to help, he was using it to make himself able to walk despite his wounds.
When Mordu steals his magic (for 'perverting nature'), Pangborn is left as he was before -- paraplegic

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Knife wrote:Got to admit didn't read the Dr Strange comics, need to go read up on Dormanmmu. Totally figured it's his nemesis but don't know shit about it.
Dormammu
Mordo Although I have to say I prefer this new look at Mordo

Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Found the following at Den of Geek Dr. Strange article
While I don't think either of the other potential patients mentioned to Stephen Strange on that call before he crashes have any greater Marvel Universe significance, one definitely stands out: the Air Force Colonel who crushed his spine wearing experimental armor. That almost has to be a reference to James "Rhodey" Rhodes, who met a tragic fate in Captain America: Civil War.

Now, this has ramifications for the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline, too. These movies tend to take place in "real time" (as in, the order they were released to theaters is usually the order that the events happened). I had just naturally assumed that the origin sequence of this movie had to take place earlier than recent Marvel movies (in part because of the Stephen Strange namedrop in Captain America: The Winter Soldier...why would SHIELD be monitoring him back then, right?). It doesn't.

And since we can assume that Stephen Strange's journey from neurosurgeon at the top of his field to Sorcerer Supreme had to take at least six months (and really, the timeline for this movie should really be something more like a year), maybe things will line up in real time again when Thor: Ragnarok comes out next year.

Now, few folks in the comments are making a good case that this could actually refer to injuries sustained by faulty Justin Hammer tech in Iron Man 2, and I have to say...it would make sense. BUT...Several of you have pointed out that there's an award visible in Stephen's apartment that clearly says 2016 on it. Not to mention the fact that you can see Avengers Tower in the NYC skyline, which places this well after the events of Iron Man 2 and right in line with "contemporary" Marvel movies. With that being the case, I have to stick with the Rhodey theory for the identity of the patient. For now. While personally I think at least the first half of this movie should take place before other recent Marvel flicks, I think the reality is, it remains in sequence/chronological with everything else. Since it covers so much time, we can probably assume that this takes us right up to next year's Thor: Ragnarok.
It's a nitpicky timeline thing, doesn't really take away from anything.

I could see Dr. Strange the neurosurgeon being targeted by Zola's algorithm.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

LadyTevar wrote:
:banghead:
TIBET! Kathmandu is in TIBET. TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONTINENT!!!

But yes, Jonathan Pangborn was the guy mentioned by the Physical Therapist ("Just to prove you wrong"), who had suffered a severed spine and yet was up and walking. As the Ancient One said, Pangborn had a gift for magic, but instead of using it to help, he was using it to make himself able to walk despite his wounds.
When Mordu steals his magic (for 'perverting nature'), Pangborn is left as he was before -- paraplegic
Sorry, I miss-remembered the location text as Peru instead of Nepal. Marvel removed Tibet completely so they could market to China
Deathstalker wrote:Found the following at Den of Geek Dr. Strange article
While I don't think either of the other potential patients mentioned to Stephen Strange on that call before he crashes have any greater Marvel Universe significance, one definitely stands out: the Air Force Colonel who crushed his spine wearing experimental armor. That almost has to be a reference to James "Rhodey" Rhodes, who met a tragic fate in Captain America: Civil War.

Now, this has ramifications for the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline, too. These movies tend to take place in "real time" (as in, the order they were released to theaters is usually the order that the events happened). I had just naturally assumed that the origin sequence of this movie had to take place earlier than recent Marvel movies (in part because of the Stephen Strange namedrop in Captain America: The Winter Soldier...why would SHIELD be monitoring him back then, right?). It doesn't.

And since we can assume that Stephen Strange's journey from neurosurgeon at the top of his field to Sorcerer Supreme had to take at least six months (and really, the timeline for this movie should really be something more like a year), maybe things will line up in real time again when Thor: Ragnarok comes out next year.

Now, few folks in the comments are making a good case that this could actually refer to injuries sustained by faulty Justin Hammer tech in Iron Man 2, and I have to say...it would make sense. BUT...Several of you have pointed out that there's an award visible in Stephen's apartment that clearly says 2016 on it. Not to mention the fact that you can see Avengers Tower in the NYC skyline, which places this well after the events of Iron Man 2 and right in line with "contemporary" Marvel movies. With that being the case, I have to stick with the Rhodey theory for the identity of the patient. For now. While personally I think at least the first half of this movie should take place before other recent Marvel flicks, I think the reality is, it remains in sequence/chronological with everything else. Since it covers so much time, we can probably assume that this takes us right up to next year's Thor: Ragnarok.
It's a nitpicky timeline thing, doesn't really take away from anything.

I could see Dr. Strange the neurosurgeon being targeted by Zola's algorithm.
I missed Avengers Tower both times. Nevermind. Is Avengers Tower still in New York currently, they stopped using it when they moved to the compound at the end of Ultron. Thought it would go back to just being Stark Tower

Ivanova is always right.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I still doubt it's Rhodey, the War Machine armour definitely isn't experimental. It's gotta be the test pilot from IM2 who was crippled when the Hammer suit he was wearing twisted through 180 degrees.

Re: Avengers tower and compound. Let's not forget that post Civil War, the Avengers team no longer exists. Since Cap broke them out of the floating prison, everyone on his side will have gone into hiding while the Accords are in effect- most likely in Wakanda.

The only members left are Iron Man, Vision and Spiderman. Rhodey's out of it unless his condition improves and Thor/Hulk are offworld.

The introduction of Dormammu makes me wonder if the upcoming Infinity War is going to be between him and Thanos- From what we saw Strange do with the Eye of Agamotto we can infer that Dormammu does have some vulnerability to the effects of the Infinity Stones.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Does anyone else feel the ending was rather weak?
Spoiler
I know Strange is supposed to be a hero and all, but even heroes break. He's essentially locked himself into being tortured/killed (in a variety of different ways) indefinitely, and bet he can endure that longer than Dormamu can tolerate the situation. Dormamu is on the cusp of gaining that which it most wants in all the universe- the Earth- and this would seem like decent motivation for it to persist for some time.
Dragon Clan Veritech
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Kojiro wrote:Does anyone else feel the ending was rather weak?

I know Strange is supposed to be a hero and all, but even heroes break. He's essentially locked himself into being tortured/killed (in a variety of different ways) indefinitely, and bet he can endure that longer than Dormamu can tolerate the situation. Dormamu is on the cusp of gaining that which it most wants in all the universe- the Earth- and this would seem like decent motivation for it to persist for some time.
I feel this is what truly cements his journey from arrogant asshole to hero. It doesn't seem that "eating" Earth is the ultimate goal of Dormammu, just another prize. Clearly, going on the evidence of the movie, the resolve of Mr. Dr. to save his realm is, at the end, more than the desire of the giant space cloud to eat it.

That reminds me: despite this being heralded as the introduction of magic to the MCU (and Agents of Shield seeming to do the same), both have had physical, rational, logical explanations for the powers and effects involved, and they really seem to be hearkening back to Thor: "Your ancestors called it magic, but you call it science. I come from a land where they are one and the same." This description seems to line up with what has been shown as magic in the last few Marvel properties. No-one knows if that will still be true if the Netflix series explain the magical things happening there (like various feats of The Hand), but I think it's interesting that TPTB are still providing plausible explanations for supernatural-seeming phenomena.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Marvel Magic has, at its core, been a mix of low internal powers and a majority of tapping into extradimensional sources of energy/begins who grant access to spells in exchange for later favors/minionioning yourself.

So given the tweaks made, I figure there shouldn't be many contradictions.

Until the Staff Of One shows exactly how broke it is. . . and it already did show up in the background of Doctor Strange, and with the Ruanways TV series in the works for Hulu, that could happen.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Majin Gojira wrote: Until the Staff Of One shows exactly how broke it is. . . and it already did show up in the background of Doctor Strange, and with the Ruanways TV series in the works for Hulu, that could happen.
Depends on whether or not they incorporate *that* show into the MCU. It looks like the MCU is running away fast from Agents of Shield. The Netflix series *might* become part of the MCU--they keep teasing us, but there's no concrete proof any of the Netflix characters will ever appear in MCU films. So who knows with Hulu.

I watched this movie last week. It was damn good. Definitely on par or better than Ant-Man. I wasn't a huge fan of Kaelicius or whatever his name was, but Mads Mikkelsen is always a pretty decent actor. And Cumberbatch got the role of Strange *so* right. Arrogant attitude before his accident? Yup. Abject student? Pretty good. Fledgling sorcerer? Not bad. And by the end... you could buy it.

The Cloak of Levitation totally stole the show, though. :lol:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote: Until the Staff Of One shows exactly how broke it is. . . and it already did show up in the background of Doctor Strange, and with the Ruanways TV series in the works for Hulu, that could happen.
Depends on whether or not they incorporate *that* show into the MCU. It looks like the MCU is running away fast from Agents of Shield. The Netflix series *might* become part of the MCU--they keep teasing us, but there's no concrete proof any of the Netflix characters will ever appear in MCU films. So who knows with Hulu.
Ghost Rider has revitalized SHIELD so hard there's rumors of Robbie Reyes getting his own Netflix series.

But the case has always been the TV series working to support and expand on the ideas and concepts of the Movies. I doubt there will ever be a time when something goes from TV or Netflix to Movies.

Though there is that one rumor for the Netflix side of things.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Elheru Aran wrote:And Cumberbatch got the role of Strange *so* right. Arrogant attitude before his accident? Yup. Abject student? Pretty good. Fledgling sorcerer? Not bad. And by the end... you could buy it.
It's not like Marvel haven't had a lot of practice at that plot template. :P

I felt like Cumberbatch was ill utilised in this role. One of his great acting skills is acting like an unrepentant arse, like in Sherlock. Unfortunately it seemed like too much time was invested in trying to make him likeable and funny, and it just became another Marvel film about a guy who learns humility in the face of some challenge.
I fucking hated that cloak. It was like watching the My Favourite Martian remake again.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Kojiro wrote:Does anyone else feel the ending was rather weak?
Spoiler
Was Dr Strange experiencing every single loop or was he being reset along with everything else ?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Gandalf wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:And Cumberbatch got the role of Strange *so* right. Arrogant attitude before his accident? Yup. Abject student? Pretty good. Fledgling sorcerer? Not bad. And by the end... you could buy it.
It's not like Marvel haven't had a lot of practice at that plot template. :P

I felt like Cumberbatch was ill utilised in this role. One of his great acting skills is acting like an unrepentant arse, like in Sherlock. Unfortunately it seemed like too much time was invested in trying to make him likeable and funny, and it just became another Marvel film about a guy who learns humility in the face of some challenge.
I fucking hated that cloak. It was like watching the My Favourite Martian remake again.
Remind me to never go see a movie with your curmudgeonly ass :roll: :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

bilateralrope wrote:Was Dr Strange experiencing every single loop or was he being reset along with everything else ?
Dormammu did experience the loops / was aware of it from the get-go. So I'd say, yes Strange did experience every loop as well.
Otherwise Dormammu shouldn't be aware of it either.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

tezunegari wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:Was Dr Strange experiencing every single loop or was he being reset along with everything else ?
Dormammu did experience the loops / was aware of it from the get-go. So I'd say, yes Strange did experience every loop as well.
Otherwise Dormammu shouldn't be aware of it either.
What factor decides if something experiences the time loop or not ?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Odds are, Strange set up the time loop in a way that they'd both remember it.
Otherwise, what was the point?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

It probably would've been better if Strange was also reset with the loop, making Dormammu the only one to experience the same thing over and over, and therefore being literally the only one able to change it. That way Strange wouldn't have to enter a battle of willpower with a vastly powerful and impossibly ancient entity, who probably sees centuries as a mildly distracting wait in the dentist's office.

Still, guess he was impatient as vastly powerful and impossibly ancient entities go, so he broke before Strange did :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)