Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 trailer

Post by ANGELUS »

Trailer is out:

Fixed the link for you. Just remember to remove the 's' from https to get it it working right --LadyTevar
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2016-10-21 06:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 trailer

Post by Crazedwraith »

Have't they used that song before?

I'm not teŕibly impressed but then GotG seemed overrated to me or I was just overhyped for it when I finally saw it on DVD.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So, looks like its going to be more focussed on Peter/Gamora romance? And Groot is still tiny.

Teaser doesn't say much besides that, though I did see what looks like one of the Kree (the blue aliens).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Crazedwraith wrote:Have't they used that song before?

Yea, so? It's a good song. Only thing that would get my kid to calm down for like a solid week, so I owe them one.

Chris Pratt, Bros hugging it out, good music: I'm sold. Still don't think I'll fight opening day, but I'll grab the wife and go see this one.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

TheFeniX wrote:
Yea, so? It's a good song.
Doesn't inspire confidence that they'll do anything new as opposite to a complete rehash of the first one.

Especially bad as everyone hypes how zany and fun and unconventional it is. While it remains basically conventional.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Guardians of the Galaxy does stray a little bit from the by now rather tired Marvel formula, at least in style if not in plot or themes, and its welcome, for the most part.

However, I can't help think that a film isn't really all that "unconventional" when it has the white male human as the leader for little reason, when it was originally Gamora who had the principles, and the mission to defeat Thanos, and arguably more skills and certainly more qualifications to lead.

Just a long standing irritant for me. I feel like the film could have easily been Gamora's story, but that she then got reduced at the end to being mostly just Peter's love interest. It... grates.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Crazedwraith wrote:Doesn't inspire confidence that they'll do anything new as opposite to a complete rehash of the first one.
You got that based off a song selection used in a teaser, that was also used at the last 20 seconds or so of the original trailer? Damn, and I thought I was tough on movies.
Especially bad as everyone hypes how zany and fun and unconventional it is. While it remains basically conventional.
People called Guardians unconventional? I guess when you put together a B-team that is entirely made up of malcontents, rather than all evil such as Suicide Squad or Usual Suspects or instead beat the Avengers formula of combining all sorts, people think you're all that original.

Either way, the movie sold me, not on it's plot, but it's characters and their interactions with each other. If they can offer more of that, I'm in. I mean, who wouldn't have watched an entire series of the marines from Aliens (provided 99% of them didn't die) flying around the cosmos nuking bugs and nailing Arcturan poontang? Guardians was almost live action Futurama for me. And that's not a bad thing.

I'm the first to bag on possible bad rehashes and reboots, but if the worst you can get off a teaser is "more of the same" when the original was pretty damn good, I find myself in no position to complain. I'd be more worried if we were instead treated with some wub-wub dubstep.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Just a long standing irritant for me. I feel like the film could have easily been Gamora's story, but that she then got reduced at the end to being mostly just Peter's love interest. It... grates.
How could someone wholly motivated by revenge get any of the other main and secondary characters to go all-in at the end of the first movie? Probably doesn't help Gamora is universally reviled pretty much anywhere. Also, I find the idea of her being relegated to nothing but a love interest is unfair to the character and Saldana's performance.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy does stray a little bit from the by now rather tired Marvel formula, at least in style if not in plot or themes, and its welcome, for the most part.

However, I can't help think that a film isn't really all that "unconventional" when it has the white male human as the leader for little reason, when it was originally Gamora who had the principles, and the mission to defeat Thanos, and arguably more skills and certainly more qualifications to lead.

Just a long standing irritant for me. I feel like the film could have easily been Gamora's story, but that she then got reduced at the end to being mostly just Peter's love interest. It... grates.
They lean a bit more anti-heroic than the other marvel films but that's about it. And yeah, that's partly what raised my ire. There was that meme everywhere "DC won;t do Wonder Woman but Marvel's like here's a talking raccoon!' As if a quirky cgi sidekick was some how something new and daring.

When they could have done a Black Widow movie in phase 2 if they wanted. Or Captain Marvel. It's not comparable. Even now DC will pip them to the post as far as Superheroine movies go.

Overrrated does not mean bad. It's fine, Just not as good for me as people said. (But then what is as good as it's fans make out?)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

TheFeniX wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Doesn't inspire confidence that they'll do anything new as opposite to a complete rehash of the first one.
You got that based off a song selection used in a teaser, that was also used at the last 20 seconds or so of the original trailer? Damn, and I thought I was tough on movies.
People called Guardians unconventional? I guess when you put together a B-team that is entirely made up of malcontents, rather than all evil such as Suicide Squad or Usual Suspects or instead beat the Avengers formula of combining all sorts, people think you're all that original.

Either way, the movie sold me, not on it's plot, but it's characters and their interactions with each other. If they can offer more of that, I'm in. I mean, who wouldn't have watched an entire series of the marines from Aliens (provided 99% of them didn't die) flying around the cosmos nuking bugs and nailing Arcturan poontang? Guardians was almost live action Futurama for me. And that's not a bad thing.

I'm the first to bag on possible bad rehashes and reboots, but if the worst you can get off a teaser is "more of the same" when the original was pretty damn good, I find myself in no position to complain. I'd be more worried if we were instead treated with some wub-wub dubstep.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Just a long standing irritant for me. I feel like the film could have easily been Gamora's story, but that she then got reduced at the end to being mostly just Peter's love interest. It... grates.
How could someone wholly motivated by revenge get any of the other main and secondary characters to go all-in at the end of the first movie? Probably doesn't help Gamora is universally reviled pretty much anywhere. Also, I find the idea of her being relegated to nothing but a love interest is unfair to the character and Saldana's performance.
Oh, no criticism of Saldana. And I agree that their's more to the character than that. Its just that by the close of the film, I felt like they'd pushed all that into the background to shover her into a subordinate and cliche role.

I disagree that she was "wholly motivated by revenge", as well. She's the one who keeps saying how they have to keep Thanos from getting the Infinity stone, calls out Peter's selfishness, etc. Sure, she has reason to want revenge on Thanos, but she also had motives and made choices that could be considered heroic.

Like I said, I would have made Gamora the team leader in the end, with Peter as her... well, not sidekick, exactly, but her foil/comic relief. That would have felt more natural to me, based on where they started out in the beginning of the film.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Hmm. Intriguing. Any guesses what it says on his shirt in that huggy scene at the end?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I disagree that she was "wholly motivated by revenge", as well. She's the one who keeps saying how they have to keep Thanos from getting the Infinity stone, calls out Peter's selfishness, etc. Sure, she has reason to want revenge on Thanos, but she also had motives and made choices that could be considered heroic.
Ok, fair enough. That does fit Drax more.
Like I said, I would have made Gamora the team leader in the end, with Peter as her... well, not sidekick, exactly, but her foil/comic relief. That would have felt more natural to me, based on where they started out in the beginning of the film.
Do they really have a Team Leader? Or is everyone just following Star Lord because he guilted, scammed, and truffle shuffled his way to beating the bad guys? Also, they are all shacking up in his rebuilt ship. I get the feeling from the end of the movie that Star Lord is much more the face man of a group of people who really have no clue what the Hell they are really doing, only knowing they have some type of job that involves making the universe suck a bit less. There's no inherent leader and in fact it would turn me off if the sequel descended into Star Lord being the one guy giving actual orders. Doesn't fit their shtick to me. It's a group a semi-capable "heroes" failing their way through a PnP DnD "planning" session that goes to shit immediately but they pull through due to blind luck and some fudged die rolls.

It's what I really liked about Guardians.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It seemed like Star Lord was very much in charge at the end, but that could have been a temporary thing.

I guess we'll have to see what the dynamic is in the new film.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

umm, it's Star Lords ship. By default, he's in charge.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yeah but it's pretty common for early trailers to use existing stock or recycled music because the final score for the film isn't finished. Generally the only reason early trailers can even exist is because specific clips are polished specifically for that purpose.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

It is also increasingly common to use filler soundtracks for movies during production, generally ripping off from other movies, regardless of whether the rights to do so exist. Which is one reason why so few Marvel movies have memorable soundtracks unless, like Guardians of the Galaxy, they use already popular songs heavily.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Honestly, their are... maybe three or four decent and memorable compositions I can recall readily from all the Marvel films.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The biggest mistake of Marvel is not hiring the same composer for the sequels.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

How many mixtapes did Peter have when he was abducted?

That could certainly explain any limited diegetic soundtrack.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

They should have a scene where Peter returns to Earth for no other reason than to get a new mixtape. :D

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Nah, he can upgrade to a Sony Discman.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, from context it does seem like Gamora will be calling StarLord out on who's in charge (relationship issues lead to Bro-hug). We also see Rocket & LilGroot hanging with Yondu as blueguys (Kree?) go floating by. That may be Nebula in the hood, can't get a good look. But the scene that really got me grinning was the smirk Rocket had on his face when he shot the wall, with LilGroot perched on his shoulder. :mrgreen:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

OMG IS LILGROOT WEARING A MICHAEL JACKSON RED LEATHER JACKET?!??!?!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote:umm, it's Star Lords ship. By default, he's in charge.
I suppose.

But that doesn't mean he's best suited to lead. It just means that he owns the most property.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Solauren wrote:umm, it's Star Lords ship. By default, he's in charge.
I suppose.

But that doesn't mean he's best suited to lead. It just means that he owns the most property.
Did you watch Guardians of the Galaxy?

None of them are suited to lead.

Or follow a leader.

At most Star Lord ended up as cat herder in chief.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, relatively suited.

Like if you had to cast your vote between Donald Trump and Jill Stein. ;)