Logan (third Wolverine movie) trailer is out

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Logan (third Wolverine movie) trailer is out

Post by ANGELUS »

Just as it says in the title:

Note from LadyTevar: if you remove the 'S' from the https, the youtube button will work. Fixed the link for you.
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2016-10-21 06:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Logan (third Wolverine movie) trailer is out

Post by Broomstick »

Oooo - great choice of music!

Not sure of the exact context of the storyline... but I don't really care. I'll happily see any movie with either Hugh Jackman or Patrick Stewart. A movie with both?

And in the X-men universe?

Is this supposed to be after the event that un-mutants a lot of people?

::: goes off to make popcorn :::
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The only negative I have is having Laura Kinney trapped in the far future for any further use.

But she's also the main reason I'm interested in seeing this film.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

When I first heard they were doing another Wolverine movie, I sighed and rolled my eyes. I didn't think they could get any more traction out of the current iteration of the character.

But ... wow, this looks amazing, and this coming from someone who is always bullish about superhero movies.

(Is the mutants losing their powers something that happened in one of the recent X-Men movies, making this a sequel to one of those? I haven't seen the two most recent ones)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Why do I get the feeling Patrick Stewart has filmed yet another death scene for Prof X here?

No more mutants is not a thing from the main xmen series. They've been prequels for the last 3 films.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:When I first heard they were doing another Wolverine movie, I sighed and rolled my eyes. I didn't think they could get any more traction out of the current iteration of the character.

But ... wow, this looks amazing, and this coming from someone who is always bullish about superhero movies.

(Is the mutants losing their powers something that happened in one of the recent X-Men movies, making this a sequel to one of those? I haven't seen the two most recent ones)
I... cannot say that I know for sure, as far as the movies go.

In the comics, after House of M in the early (mid?) 00's a lot of mutants lost their mutant abilities thanks to Scarlet Witch going nuts and nuking them. Since then, that's mostly gone away, until recently when the Inhumans unleashed the Terrigen Mist on the world and it turns out a lot of mutants are actually Inhumans or something... I dunno, I don't really keep up with comics.

Anyway, they're obviously combining the mainstream X-Men universe with Old Man Logan, which was a storyline in an alternate universe where Wolverine went nuts and killed most of the X-men (and a bunch of their mutant villains too), the world went to hell because the superheroes duked it out to the bitter end one more time, and Logan retires out West and starts a family. Until the Hulk Clan (Hulk starts a family too, don'cha know) moves in on him...

The adaption here is that they're dropping the whole "post-superhero-apocalypse" aspect (especially since that involved a bunch of Avengers, and Fox can't really film that), bringing in X-23 (Wolverine's female clone... yes really), Caliban and possibly the Morlocks, and a bunch of Wolverine antagonists, along with Mister Sinister in the background (as hinted at in the post-credits of Age of Apocalypse when guys from "Essex Corp" visited the Weapon X facility). Road trip with Professor X in the back seat. Woo.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Elheru Aran wrote:Road trip with Professor X in the back seat. Woo.
Now I can't help wondering if he had any flashbacks to the "dune buggy" scene at the beginning of one of the Trek films... :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Hugh is starting to look a lot like Mel Gibson. :) lol
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Damn, Huge Jacked Man is getting older and Stewart is looking ancient. Yea, this could be a dumpster fire, but Stewart's onboard enough to get outside a cameo appearance to make a buddy-cop Mutant movie. I mean, I'd see it even if it was terrible because Stewart isn't going to be around forever, but it's nice to think this could actually be really good.

Jackman and Stewart also have a lot of chemistry, even going back to the original X-Men movie. I noticed there were a lot of dialog exchanges, but those two felt like they were talking to each other more than any other pair. And this has held through any scene I've seen them both in together. Could have been Jackman's physicality or just the writing, but it reminded me of Sisko and Picard's scene at the beginning of DS9. I doubt Stewart does it intentionally, but he can make a lot of other actors look like amatuers. For a scrawny English dude, he has a stupid amount of presence. But he didn't walk over Jackman.

I would have loved Jackman's Wolverine regardless, but that really made me look at Jackman as an actor. He even made Origins watchable.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote:Oooo - great choice of music!
Great choice of music, and it really sells the early non-action scenes. Whomever put the scenes to the music did it perfectly, tempo to tempo.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Loved the music too, and it gives this trailer a more solemn, introspective feel. Even though there is a fair amount of action in the latter half of the trailer, I hope that the more quiet feeling is present in the film itself. It would be interesting watching more of a contemplative drama instead of the action-fests most superhero films are. Not that one more slice-and-dice from Hugh Jackman would be a bad thing. :P
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:(Is the mutants losing their powers something that happened in one of the recent X-Men movies, making this a sequel to one of those? I haven't seen the two most recent ones)
Mutants losing their powers was from the events of X-Men: The Last Stand (the third movie). Based on the events in the Wolverine and Days of Future Past with several depowered mutants appearing with their powers again, the cure was temporary. The changes to the timeline in DoFP also made it so the events of X3 never happened, and this movie takes place in the new timeline since the world hasn't been destroyed by Sentinels. I'm pretty sure Logan referring to mutants being "gone" means they've been hunted to near extinction.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

There have been a few timelines where Mutants didn't last beyond a few generations. In the "good" ones the mutant genes just didn't carry on strongly enough for there to be Mutants.

There have been more where Mutants left Earth so then there weren't any left on Earth. Seems doubtful for this timeline though.

In something I saw about one of the trailers it was suggested that a disease wiped out Mutants (obviously not all). If it was a manufactured virus (Legacy Virus?) it would fit in with Mr. Sinister supposedly being in this movie.

Since the Reavers are in this I suspect that there is at least some hunting of Mutants involved.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Tsyroc wrote:There have been a few timelines where Mutants didn't last beyond a few generations. In the "good" ones the mutant genes just didn't carry on strongly enough for there to be Mutants.

There have been more where Mutants left Earth so then there weren't any left on Earth. Seems doubtful for this timeline though.

In something I saw about one of the trailers it was suggested that a disease wiped out Mutants (obviously not all). If it was a manufactured virus (Legacy Virus?) it would fit in with Mr. Sinister supposedly being in this movie.

Since the Reavers are in this I suspect that there is at least some hunting of Mutants involved.
It certainly isn't that the mutant genes just naturally didn't carry on. This takes place shortly after the newly established timeline in DoFP where we see pretty much everyone is alive and well, so mutants clearly didn't stop propagating and die out naturally in the space of a year. A disease wiping them out is the most likely explanation, since even with the Sentinels hunting down mutants with extreme prejudice there were still more than three of them sticking together. I've also seen suggestions of the disease disabling the mutant genes, which would explain why Logan's healing factor isn't working properly (scars all over his back). But even if they were merely depowered I highly doubt Jean and Scott and the rest of the gang would abandon Xavier in his extremely vulnerable state. It's a shame. I really enjoyed the ending of DoFP and it's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow if they now want to say "jk, they all actually died five minutes later."
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Dread Not wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:There have been a few timelines where Mutants didn't last beyond a few generations. In the "good" ones the mutant genes just didn't carry on strongly enough for there to be Mutants.

It certainly isn't that the mutant genes just naturally didn't carry on. This takes place shortly after the newly established timeline in DoFP where we see pretty much everyone is alive and well, so mutants clearly didn't stop propagating and die out naturally in the space of a year. A disease wiping them out is the most likely explanation, since even with the Sentinels hunting down mutants with extreme prejudice there were still more than three of them sticking together. I've also seen suggestions of the disease disabling the mutant genes, which would explain why Logan's healing factor isn't working properly (scars all over his back). But even if they were merely depowered I highly doubt Jean and Scott and the rest of the gang would abandon Xavier in his extremely vulnerable state. It's a shame. I really enjoyed the ending of DoFP and it's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow if they now want to say "jk, they all actually died five minutes later."
Yes, this film does make the ending of DoFP rather pointless eh? For all we know the Professor and Wolverine went outside to have a nice chat about how history changed, the future is now brighter than ever etc etc and while they were out someone dropped a bomb on the mansion and killed everyone. More likely they died from some kind oh virus a couple of years later. Judging from the post-apocalyptic look so, a good chunk of humanity might have been wiped out again as well.

It kind of reminds me of how the Terminator movies played out:

T1: The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
T2: The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
T3: LOLZ Just kiddings! Judgement Day is happenin', bitches!

I mean, I'm sure Logan is going to be a pretty awesome film, but still...
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I was assuming it wasn't the same timeline as DoFP good ending for those reasons. Though I'd guess it'd lose soem punch if it was unconnected to the other movies.

eta: Nitpick; T1 taken alone was a time-loop so it subscribed to the 'can't be changed' aspect as well. T2 fucked that up but did it so well nobody cared.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

eta: Nitpick; T1 taken alone was a time-loop so it subscribed to the 'can't be changed' aspect as well. T2 fucked that up but did it so well nobody cared.
Off topic - IMO while T1 can be taken as a closed timeloop depending on how you look at it, YMMV. I always assumed based on the dialog that alternate timelines were in play in T1 as well:
Kyle: Pay attention! I gotta ditch this car. [parks car] The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy. But these are new, they look human. Sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot. I had to wait till he moved on you before I could zero him.
Sarah: Look, I am not stupid, you know. They cannot make things like that yet!
Kyle: Not yet, not for about 40 years.
Sarah: [disbelieving] Are you saying it's from the future?
Kyle: One possible future. From your point of view...I don't know tech stuff.
Kyle: Your son gave me a message to give to you. [recites message] Thank you, Sarah, for your courage through the dark years. I can't help you with what you must soon face, except to say that the future is not set. You must be stronger than you imagine you can be. You must survive, or I will never exist.
I have to make a correction as the "no fate but what we make for ourselves" part of the speech was part of the screenplay in T1 but it never made it to film. I guess Cameron forgot, which is why John stated the whole thing in in T2.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Whatever happened to his healing factor, Logan is suffering some sort of degeneration, possibly of the nervous or muscular system, as we see by the shakiness of his hands. He is also walking extremely stiffly, as if he can't bend his joints properly, which also suggests muscular degeneration.
IIRC in the comics there was once a theory that the adamantium was poisoning him, but his healing factor kept it at bay. We may be seeing the result of that heavy-metal poisoning... or there may be another cause entirely. There's not enough information in the trailer to make a clear call as yet.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

LadyTevar wrote:Whatever happened to his healing factor, Logan is suffering some sort of degeneration, possibly of the nervous or muscular system, as we see by the shakiness of his hands. He is also walking extremely stiffly, as if he can't bend his joints properly, which also suggests muscular degeneration.
IIRC in the comics there was once a theory that the adamantium was poisoning him, but his healing factor kept it at bay. We may be seeing the result of that heavy-metal poisoning... or there may be another cause entirely. There's not enough information in the trailer to make a clear call as yet.
Well I imagine that having a virtually indestructible metal skeleton that weighs significantly more than human bones would not be good for his joints, espeically if his healing factor has been significantly reduced.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

It could also be a sign of alcoholism, it's a classic telltale sign. Just one part of his increasing lack of giving a shit, with hix body packing up on him at long last
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The only way I see this working is if this is a really gratuitous effort to shift the series from the late 90s to modern / future while giving the FINAL chapter to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman playing their characters. I am going to be optimistic and assume this is going back to the land of depressing bleakness because they need to find a way to justify why the other actors that played mutants do not reprise their roles because they would logically look the same if Xavier still looks like Patrick Stewart. I would further expect this film to either story kill Xavier and Wolverine unless they do something extremely stupid like try to make them body jump into younger actors...

That said... I would bury this franchise at this point because the only future movies would require less iconic X-Men. No Storm, Cyclops, Wolverine, Rogue. Xavier, Magneto...

The alternative is this film is yet another flip-flop in the ongoing saga of X-Men timeline. As if the franchise was not insanely convoluted enough as it is with the reboot that was required because they made an awful movie that needed to be dumped. The only reason I really give a shit about X-Men at this point is because Deadpool kinda tied itself to this ship so if it goes down... Deadpool may get dragged down too.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

I don't think it's actually possible to stitch together a coherent narrative from these films by this point. It's probably best to see each one after the first three as a standalone in it's own continuity.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

LadyTevar wrote:Whatever happened to his healing factor, Logan is suffering some sort of degeneration, possibly of the nervous or muscular system, as we see by the shakiness of his hands. He is also walking extremely stiffly, as if he can't bend his joints properly, which also suggests muscular degeneration.
We also see visible scar tissue on him in a couple of scenes- I'm pretty sure Wolverine normally heals without scars even in the movie continuity.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Simon_Jester wrote:
We also see visible scar tissue on him in a couple of scenes- I'm pretty sure Wolverine normally heals without scars even in the movie continuity.
He does. Take the claws-- on any normal person (setting aside the whole issue of ramming three razor-sharp foot-long lengths of adamantium through one's wrist bones between the phalanges), where they come out would be grotesquely scar-tissued gaping wounds between the fingers. On Logan, they heal nearly instantly without any marks.

Hell, man took a *nuclear blast* to his entire body-- BEFORE the adamantium-- and grew it all back, hair even, within a matter of minutes.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

From talking to my comic nerd friends years back, Wolverine's Adamantium skeleton was actually holding back his healing factor due to his body constantly fighting the foreign object and something-something-heavy-metal-poisoning. Once Magneto ripped it out, his healing factor went into overdrive. I think this also lead to him becoming much more feral in his look and would possibly lead him to losing his mind and becoming an animal.

This does not explain how he lived long enough to get the Adamantium without losing his mind, but maybe he would just live a really long time before that happened and the removal of the Adamantium, his mutation was making up for lost time.

But, you know, comics....

Supposedly, the metal is about the only reason he's really aging past his prime. While, obviously the ACTOR is getting older, Wolverine and Sabertooth survive decades in their physical peak, but he started to age at a much more normal rate since the operation. Though, I have no idea what explanation, if any, they'll give in the next movie.

Maybe I'm talking out my ass here, but I swear I recall a story-line where Wolvy has lived so long, he just up and forgot who he was even though he was still in his physical prime.