You get an Archinist-style Dwarf!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: You get an Archinist-style Dwarf!

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think a TARDIS, specifically, might be difficult because it seems like Archinist's magic dwarves can't actually do engineering, they just slavishly copy things people show them pictures of. A total lack of creativity might help to explain why they're easily enslaved by random barbarians despite having superpowers and the ability to make anything from anything. Once a dwarf is under your control, they may not even be imaginative enough to do anything other than obey you and (presumably) occasionally remember to feed themselves.

So if you copy a TARDIS, you get... a TARDIS. A generic TARDIS, mind you, not a specific one. But even a generic TARDIS has security measures designed by superintelligent aliens to stop anyone from using it even if they succeed in duplicating it.

By contrast, a 'generic' Galaxy-class starship probably doesn't have such features, because no one's specifically worrying about it being stolen by random people fresh out of the dock.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

If I'm reading the OP correctly, this little dude can craft anything I can imagine. All I need to do is draw a picture, label it, describe what it does, and how it works and, BAM, my magical omnipotence maker can crap it out for me. So I start by having it make me a single use omnipotence/omniscience machine which happens to take the form of whatever I have on hand at the moment, runs on nothing, and grants the first person to use it limitless power without any drawbacks. I then proceed to grant the little fellow his every wish before walking away as a literal god.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Just have him make something that does everything a Tardis does, but isn't a Tardis.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Solauren wrote:Just have him make something that does everything a Tardis does, but isn't a Tardis.
That's like saying having the Dwarf build something that does everything that a Dune ship does, but isn't a Dune Ship, so the navigational issues and requirement to have a Navigator to use it safely need not apply. If you can do that, then this scenario is... well, even more pointless than it was before. You might as well do what Jub suggested while you're at it:
If I'm reading the OP correctly, this little dude can craft anything I can imagine. All I need to do is draw a picture, label it, describe what it does, and how it works and, BAM, my magical omnipotence maker can crap it out for me. So I start by having it make me a single use omnipotence/omniscience machine which happens to take the form of whatever I have on hand at the moment, runs on nothing, and grants the first person to use it limitless power without any drawbacks. I then proceed to grant the little fellow his every wish before walking away as a literal god
Why not just draw yourself up a "turn me into a literal god" machine instead?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

My desires are pretty simple. I bring the dwarf to a forest, show him a hundred dollar bill, and tell him to replicate me a few million of those.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Tribble wrote: Why not just draw yourself up a "turn me into a literal god" machine instead?
Cause where is the fun in THAT?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

A few million 100 dollar bills with the exact same serial number are bound to raise questions sooner or later.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Tribble wrote:Why not just draw yourself up a "turn me into a literal god" machine instead?
Technically, the dwarf still needs material as well as plans, that, and ensuring that the dwarf and myself don't have different ideas of what 'literal god' means. These dwarves seem pretty safe, but it never pays to take chances.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Why is this subject still under discussion? Hasn't anyone got anything better to do?
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

KraytKing wrote:Why is this subject still under discussion? Hasn't anyone got anything better to do?
Why did you make that post? Didn't you have anything better to do?
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Point taken.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Batman wrote:A few million 100 dollar bills with the exact same serial number are bound to raise questions sooner or later.
That's why God invented money laundering.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

Tribble wrote:Perhaps we need an OP ruling here. The way I interpreted it, the "Dwarf" is able to make things in our universe that are physically impossible...
Correct so far
So for example a Star Wars ship would still use a hyper drive, hyper matter and hyperspace to travel because that's how SW FTL works.
Since those things don't exist in our universe, the Dwarf will make something that fills in that gap. He'll make the ship function as it appears it should from what you've given him, with what material he has.

However, there are some caveats implied, but not outlined, in the OP.

Here they are:
It is capable of building just about anything
First just about anything. It's up to you how far to stretch this: the intent was that impossible tech is at the outer reaches of possible and that for possible stuff this guy is basically a replicator.
, given raw materials and time...it can filter bulk material and forge/mix/etc. materials to create the needed alloy or mixture or whatever. It will make its own tooling....Assume it can work through a few to a dozen tons of material a day; less for more complex stuff and more for less complex stuff.
Second, you need to give it materials, and in a year you can only do one super complex thing at less than 1,000 tons. And you'd need to feed it 1,000 tons of bulk highly processed material in a year. You want your starship made from Duranium? You've got to either give him 3000 tons of duranium for the project or accept a lower yeild. Non-complex things and things that exist he can do faster; let's say a dwarven-style fortification under ground could be finished in the year and use up/displace 10,000 tons of material.
It can look at a drawing or image of a thing and build a good nearly-100% accurate three-dimensional model of the thing.
Third, just an image results in a nice 3d model - not necessarily functional in any way. If you didn't provide a scale, he'll build it the size of the pic. In the case of a Tardis, if you show him a picture of it with no further reference, he'll basically build you a blue telephone box. at whatever scale seems appropriate based on the picture.
If shown moving images or given a good description before building, it can make the thing work as it should - even things that don't work or are impossible IRL.
This just requires you to give it as much information as possible. If the information you give is conflicted or flawed, he'll build it with the conflicts and flaws in place as he has seen them. The intent didn't account for 5th-dimensional spaces like the Tardis or most hollywood/video game interior/exterior objects, but I'll say that they're allowed, just keep in mind that the material cost is going to be vastly higher for something than it seems like it should be if it has extra space inside vs. outside. Mostly, this and the above are just to prevent you using some obscure thing that can't be envisioned or isn't technically well flushed out. You guys can determine how much or how little works.
Yes, it makes up the parts that aren't in the information given it from nothing as if by magic.
This is a catch-all for complaints in Archinist's prior scenario. The 'Dwarf' will make parts no real blueprint or image would show accurately. It doesn't magic up the parts from nothing, just the information about the parts.
It will work with the materials given it, not the materials required,
If you give it dirt, and tell it to use that, it'll use it and build you a Tardis out of dirt. It'll have more space on the inside than the outside. It'll be able to traverse time. It'll just be made out of dirt, with all the problems that should cause.
though it can filter bulk material and forge/mix/etc. materials to create the needed alloy or mixture or whatever.
It can also screen the dirt to build a proper tardis. Doing so eats up your daily material allotment: He is either filtering what you give him for what he wants/needs to make what he wants, or using it to (from your perspective) transmute the material into something else. Assume you get 1 ton of good, real-world, material for each day of work when feeding plain earth/dirt. Much less for fictional materials. So for the Tardis, undoubtedly made up of something fictional, you'd either need to give him higher quality feed stock (aluminum, steel, titanium) to get a ton or so of Tardis-material, or accept a sub-standard tardis made up of non-fictional materials.
It will make its own tooling.
You don't need to make tools for it. Tools may require materials, but you can ignore this if it's inconvenient.
In the case of the Tardis its more than just a matter of command codes, its a fundemental nature of how its physics operates. Its sort of like building a hyperdrive without any way to get hyper matter for it (IIRC hyper drives can only run on hyper matter). The Dwarf has not been stated to be able to create people so it wouldn't be able to create the Timelord needed to get the Tardis working. "Fooling" a Tardis wouldn't work - you'd have to be turned into a Timelord first.
It'd make the thing operate as it appears it should based on information provided it. If you told it the Tardis needs command codes, it'll require them. If not, you walk in and operate the thing. Same with hypermatter - you may need the fuel, but it can build you more fuel if you ask.