Horcruxes-how do they work exactly?(Harry Potter)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Horcruxes-how do they work exactly?(Harry Potter)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Say you capture one Tom Riddle, and shoot him in the head. What happens?

Does the body heal it's wounds, and Tom Riddle is down one horcrux? Does his body rematerialize where a horcrux is located? Does he have to go through another ceremony, with a bone from his father, flesh from his followers, and blood from his enemy? Does the bullet bounce off because of his horcrux protection?

Just what happens?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Horcruxes-how do they work exactly?(Harry Potter)

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

IIRC, the Horcruxes work to keep your soul in this reality, so if your body is destroyed or you otherwise die your soul doesn't pass over. Kinda like a ghost but with a few more abilities, like possession. You then need a ritual to restore your body.

You don't apparently lose a horcrux after "respawning" as Voldie never made a replacement one.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

We see what happens. He gets ghostified and is in need of dark ritual to get a new body. All Horcruxes are fine unless they specifically are harmed by something especially destructified.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Actually, IIRC from readings, Voldemort was supposed to be unkillable. He would eventually heal from any injury, as his soul would not pass over and 'die'.

He didn't anticipate there might be a way for his entire body to be destroyed.

Otherwise, he would have had the needed set up for the ritual on stand-by, and had a few trusted lieutenants know about it.

Because he didn't, it took years to recover, when, quite frankly, if he'd been prepared, Wormtail could have went to him after he was initially destroyed, taken what was needed to the graveyard, and kidnapp a random Auror to complete the ritual.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.