Harry Dresden vs Lord Voldemort.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Harry Dresden vs Lord Voldemort.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

In this scenario, the Dark Lord Voldemort, by a twist of fate, finds himself facing off against a different, darker, and rather more formidable (albeit lacking certain magical protections) wizard named Harry.

Scenario One.

Straight-up duel. Harry Dresden stumbles upon Lord Voldemort torturing a Muggle in a back alley in New York (to avoid giving either a home turf advantage), and responds in the manner Harry Dresden does best. :wink:

Harry has his staff, blasting rod, duster, force ring, shield bracelet, pentacle amulet, hand gun, and any other magical paraphernalia he would normally carry.

Voldemort has his wand.

This takes place shortly before Storm Front, for Dresden, and during Deathly Hallows, for Voldemort.

Scenario Two.

As above, except its post-Skin Game Dresden.

Scenario Three.

Dumbledore (as of the start of Half-Blood Prince) hires Harry Dresden, shortly post-Skin Game, to track down and destroy Voldemort's Horcruxes. Yes, I know the timelines don't really fit. Wobbly-Wobbly Timey-Whimey. Mab will permit this because Voldemort insulted her, and she owns Dumbledore a favour.

We will assume, for the purposes of this scenario, that the two stories coexist in the same world, that the magic Potterverse wizards use is not normal mortal magic or that they are somehow not technically human (to avoid the Wardens needing to execute every damn one of them for violating the Laws of Magic with mind control and transfiguration), and that the International Confederation of Warlocks is a signatory to the Unseelie Accords. In all other respects, prior canon remains in effect for both series.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Harry Dresden vs Lord Voldemort.

Post by Zixinus »

It depends entirely on how Harry's magic would interact with Voldemort's or with the Potterverse in general. Harry could be sucker-punched by something he utterly out of his experience. If Harry can't deflect Voldemort's spells, he's done for (at least, earlier versions of Harry).

The same is true in reverse. Voldemort will not expect someone using Harry's kind of magic in the aggressive, down-and-dirty way he does. Or that Harry wouldn't hesitate to simply gun Voldemort down.

So I would say that in the first scenario, Harry has good odds: he has the drop on Voldemort who does not suspect that Harry is a wizard. Donnu about the other two.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zixinus wrote:It depends entirely on how Harry's magic would interact with Voldemort's or with the Potterverse in general. Harry could be sucker-punched by something he utterly out of his experience. If Harry can't deflect Voldemort's spells, he's done for (at least, earlier versions of Harry).
I'm going to presume, barring absence to the contrary, that Harry's shields can block Potterverse magic, although a sufficiently powerful attack could blast through, and a barrage of weaker attacks could wear them down. Same in reverse.

The big question is weather Avada Kedavra could be blocked by Dresden.

Voldemort ought to utterly outclass him in mobility and stealth, regardless. And while a lot of high-end Dresden magic involves rituals and preparation, Voldemort can use almost all his spells simply by waving a wand.
The same is true in reverse. Voldemort will not expect someone using Harry's kind of magic in the aggressive, down-and-dirty way he does. Or that Harry wouldn't hesitate to simply gun Voldemort down.
Voldemort was raised a Muggle for eleven years, and would likely at least recognize a revolver if he saw one, though he might underestimate it.

I'm not sure how effective a gun would be, regardless. Voldemort isn't really fully human, and Potterverse wizards do seem to have some extra physical survivability at times (like Neville's underage magic causing him to bounce when dropped from a window).

And Dresden kind of has to use the gun to kill (First Law of Magic), unless Voldemort counts as not human under the Laws, which is rather unlikely. Otherwise he's down to trying to get close enough to Voldemort to bludgeon him to death with his staff or something. :lol:
So I would say that in the first scenario, Harry has good odds: he has the drop on Voldemort who does not suspect that Harry is a wizard. Donnu about the other two.
Perhaps I gave Harry an edge in the first one (also- he knows the Potter books, so he will know who Voldemort is and what he's capable of). The second one is simply the first one with a more powerful, experienced Harry, so if he wins one, he wins two.

The third one presumes the two worlds are merged, and is more a test of his political and investigative skills than a simple fight.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

My point with the gun is that Voldemort would simply not expect Harry to use one, as Harry is a wizard. If Voldemort has a living body, then the gun will hurt him if not at least partially kill him. The thing about Voldemort is that he may be very powerful but he's arrogant and may actually be stupid enough to monologue over Harry once he takes his weapons away from him.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Honestly, yes.

When we talk about versus comparisons, we often get so wrapped up in the hardware the two sides have that we forget to talk about the people. And in this case, there's a big difference between the two people. Dresden's tough, battle-hardened, and very, very resourceful. Voldemort is kind of a cartoonish man, with a profoundly damaged personality on account of how many pieces he's ripped it into, not that it was very healthy to begin with.

The odds that Voldemort will do something stupid that lets Dresden get the upper hand are fairly high. He did that with Harry Potter a number of times, after all, and Dresden is more likely to seize a tactical advantage when he sees it than Potter.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Dresden is tough, battle-hardened, clever, and resourceful...as of Skin Game. In Storm Front and for at least 3-4 novels hence, he gets routinely outfoxed by villainous ploys. On that basis, while I'm totally on-board with giving it to Dresden as of scenario #2, and even #3 (Dresden is an investigator for a living, after all), #1 is a bit more even, and maybe Voldemort takes it.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

OP is hilariously vague on the force ring bit. We need to know which rings Harry has to pin down where in the series we are short of Changes. In Storm Front I believe it is a single copper ring. In Grave Peril it is a plain silver ring on the right hand. In Small Favor there was one on each finger, but different. "...a band made of three rings woven into a braid."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gaidin wrote:OP is hilariously vague on the force ring bit. We need to know which rings Harry has to pin down where in the series we are short of Changes. In Storm Front I believe it is a single copper ring. In Grave Peril it is a plain silver ring on the right hand. In Small Favor there was one on each finger, but different. "...a band made of three rings woven into a braid."
Scenario one is set as of Storm Front, so the Storm Front ring.

Scenario two and three is the more experienced Dresden, so the full set of rings would be present.

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Gaidin wrote:OP is hilariously vague on the force ring bit. We need to know which rings Harry has to pin down where in the series we are short of Changes. In Storm Front I believe it is a single copper ring. In Grave Peril it is a plain silver ring on the right hand. In Small Favor there was one on each finger, but different. "...a band made of three rings woven into a braid."

Scenario two and three is the more experienced Dresden, so the full set of rings would be present.
Should be noted. Post skin game I think his only artifact is his staff set up to put his set of rings to shame. Cold Days had a sort of theme of him having to get hilariously used to casting spells with no artifacts.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Terralthra wrote:Dresden is tough, battle-hardened, clever, and resourceful...as of Skin Game. In Storm Front and for at least 3-4 novels hence, he gets routinely outfoxed by villainous ploys. On that basis, while I'm totally on-board with giving it to Dresden as of scenario #2, and even #3 (Dresden is an investigator for a living, after all), #1 is a bit more even, and maybe Voldemort takes it.
My impression is that Dresden gets tricked a lot during the investigative phase, lured into traps or fooled into doing something rash. But when it's up-close and personal, an actual direct confrontation, he gets meaner and sneakier.

Whereas Voldemort is good at laying traps and misdirection except when it involves personal confrontation, at which point he starts doing things like laying a second Portkey enchantment that teleports Potter back to safety from the trap he's set for the boy.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, Dresden isn't very careful as a *detective*. When he's actually in *person* with the Bad Guy (TM) that's when he actually pulls out the stops, and he's usually not in person with the Bad Guy until he's had time to set something up.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gaidin wrote:

Should be noted. Post skin game I think his only artifact is his staff set up to put his set of rings to shame. Cold Days had a sort of theme of him having to get hilariously used to casting spells with no artifacts.
Hmm.

I thought it was more of him not having his full range of gear because it all got trashed in Changes, and he hasn't had a good opportunity to rebuild it all yet.

Though its true that he's less reliant on it now.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Elheru Aran wrote:Yeah, Dresden isn't very careful as a *detective*.
I think a lot of that is because his stories owe so much to the pulp detective fiction of the '30s and '40s. Those guys got beaten up, knocked over the head, tricked by some sneaky dame, and generally had their day ruined a lot.

EDIT: To clarify, I mean that a lot of the things that happened to them were 'not their fault' in that they were fooled or betrayed. That's Dresden's problem- he's vulnerable to betrayals and manipulation.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Gaidin wrote:

Hmm.

I thought it was more of him not having his full range of gear because it all got trashed in Changes, and he hasn't had a good opportunity to rebuild it all yet.

Though its true that he's less reliant on it now.
Exactly. It all got trashed in Changes and he hasn't gotten a good opportunity to rebuild it all yet. By Skin Game he's only rebuilt his staff and it's got a totally different function than before.

You want Harry post-Skin Changes...account for it.
Last edited by Gaidin on 2016-09-19 06:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Terralthra wrote:Dresden is tough, battle-hardened, clever, and resourceful...as of Skin Game. In Storm Front and for at least 3-4 novels hence, he gets routinely outfoxed by villainous ploys. On that basis, while I'm totally on-board with giving it to Dresden as of scenario #2, and even #3 (Dresden is an investigator for a living, after all), #1 is a bit more even, and maybe Voldemort takes it.
I think that, while he still gets outmaneuvered at times later, book four, Summer Knight, is where he really starts to come into his own as a plotter, rather than just bumbling through by force, luck, and improvisation.

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Simon_Jester wrote:
My impression is that Dresden gets tricked a lot during the investigative phase, lured into traps or fooled into doing something rash. But when it's up-close and personal, an actual direct confrontation, he gets meaner and sneakier.
Sometimes. Like I said, he gets better in later novels, but he gets totally outfoxed by Bianca in Grave Peril for example. He knows it's a trap, goes in anyway, and gets saved by the intervention of several other parties.
Simon_Jester wrote:Whereas Voldemort is good at laying traps and misdirection except when it involves personal confrontation, at which point he starts doing things like laying a second Portkey enchantment that teleports Potter back to safety from the trap he's set for the boy.
...are there one-way Portkeys? My impression was that all of them were connecting two points, by definition.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Huh. Well, if they don't run on "teleport from here to there," and are invariably two-directional, so much for that. My honest impression was that they were one-way trips normally unless you went out of your way to make them otherwise.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Perhaps the Portkey returning to the maze was intended as a way of making it look like Harry hadn't been abducted, but had just died accidentally or of natural causes, after Voldemort killed him. He wanted his return to be secret, remember.

Edit: It probably didn't occur to him that Potter would be able to escape, due to his arrogance. And to be fair, he wouldn't have if not for the wands having a highly unusual link.

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Perhaps the Portkey returning to the maze was intended as a way of making it look like Harry hadn't been abducted, but had just died accidentally or of natural causes, after Voldemort killed him. He wanted his return to be secret, remember.
In which case the knife wound to his arm would have been a bit of a giveaway. I suspect the original intent of the cup was to portkey the winner to the entrance (which is where Harry ended up, not in the middle of the maze), and Crouch simply layered another portkey over it rather than mess around removing the original.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Captain Seafort wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Perhaps the Portkey returning to the maze was intended as a way of making it look like Harry hadn't been abducted, but had just died accidentally or of natural causes, after Voldemort killed him. He wanted his return to be secret, remember.
In which case the knife wound to his arm would have been a bit of a giveaway. I suspect the original intent of the cup was to portkey the winner to the entrance (which is where Harry ended up, not in the middle of the maze), and Crouch simply layered another portkey over it rather than mess around removing the original.
Considering that the maze for the third task was full of dangerous creatures, the cut could plausibly have been given to him during the tournament.

Aside from that, your explanation makes sense.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I just finished binge-rereading the series.

In scenario two, Harry wins, no hands down. Post Skin-Game, Harry is a force to be reckoned with and he does. Not. Back. Down. That's actually the point of the latest short story. He will not ignore a warlock like Voldemort on his turf. If he can dodge Voldemort's death spell (forgot the name), Voldemort is going to have a very bad day. Voldemort might be even stupid enough to be stunned that his death spell didn't work and give Harry the opportunity to kill him.

In scenario three? With QUEEN MAB angry at him, of all people? Voldemort barely has a prayer. Harry is going to involve the usual allies who already have experience dealing with warlocks and hunting magical threats. Hell, he might pass information down to Marcone who will kill the guy just for being on his own turf. If Voldemort did his usual treatment of children, Marcone might even get involved too. This is not to mention Mab, who does not take insults to her lightly and especially if there is a favor owed. I don't know all the folk stories of her, but Mab is not type that lets that go unpunished.
But really, Harry alone is enough to be Voldemort's personal nightmare made flesh.

The only thing that might stop Harry is his existing troubles and responsibilities (the whole town is in danger every other year). The main investigative problem he'd have is his lack of connection with the other side of the pond. Dumbledore can help him with that.
Credo!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zixinus wrote:I just finished binge-rereading the series.
Must have been quite a ride. :D
In scenario two, Harry wins, no hands down. Post Skin-Game, Harry is a force to be reckoned with and he does. Not. Back. Down. That's actually the point of the latest short story. He will not ignore a warlock like Voldemort on his turf. If he can dodge Voldemort's death spell (forgot the name), Voldemort is going to have a very bad day. Voldemort might be even stupid enough to be stunned that his death spell didn't work and give Harry the opportunity to kill him.
The death spell is "Avada Kedavra", although its implied in book five that Voldemort can cast it non-verbally (during his duel with Dumbledore.

I don't think Voldemort is that slow though, physically or mentally. Good reflexes seem to be a prerequisite for Potterverse-style duelling- I don't think Voldemort would have lasted as long as he did if he was likely to freeze when things didn't go his way.

Otherwise, I agree that Skin Game Harry probably wins, unless Voldemort gets off a lucky shot with Avada Kedavra (and the likelihood of that depends heavily on weather it can pass through Harry's shields, which I consider somewhat uncertain).
In scenario three? With QUEEN MAB angry at him, of all people? Voldemort barely has a prayer. Harry is going to involve the usual allies who already have experience dealing with warlocks and hunting magical threats. Hell, he might pass information down to Marcone who will kill the guy just for being on his own turf. If Voldemort did his usual treatment of children, Marcone might even get involved too. This is not to mention Mab, who does not take insults to her lightly and especially if there is a favor owed. I don't know all the folk stories of her, but Mab is not type that lets that go unpunished.
But really, Harry alone is enough to be Voldemort's personal nightmare made flesh.
Yeah, I guess I stacked scenario three against Voldemort.

My thinking is Mab probably won't act directly, though (I mean, dealing with problematic mortals is a big part of why she has a Knight, and besides, Voldemort is honestly kind of small-fry for her to deal with personally).

I doubt Dresden would opt to have Marcone do his dirty work for him, though. He still doesn't like the guy at all, and he's not a "somebody else's problem" kind of person.

Of course, if we bring allies into it, Dresden could also go to the Council. Most of them might not help him, but you can bet Ebineezer McCoy and Carlos Ramirez would, unless they had a very good reason not to.
The only thing that might stop Harry is his existing troubles and responsibilities (the whole town is in danger every other year). The main investigative problem he'd have is his lack of connection with the other side of the pond. Dumbledore can help him with that.
Well their is that one British warden Dresden seems friendly with. But besides that, yeah.

As to Chicago, its a problem, but I think that if the situation were urgent enough in Britain, he could probably count on Karen, Thomas, Butters, and the Alphas to hold the fort for a few weeks or months. He's been gone longer than that before, and while it wasn't pretty, they held their own. Should be easier now that Butters is a Knight of the Cross, provided he's in town at the time.

Especially if he got Dumbledore to give him the means to return swiftly (Potterverse magic has much better means of rapid long-distance transport than the Ways) if needed.

Edited because fuck the spoiler tags. :)

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

My thinking is Mab probably won't act directly, though (I mean, dealing with problematic mortals is a big part of why she has a Knight, and besides, Voldemort is honestly kind of small-fry for her to deal with personally).
That's not how Mab does things to begin with. I'd be safer sending death threats to the US president with a return address than insulting Mab.

If Voldemort manages to slip out of Harry's grasp, Mab would make sure that Harry has enough clues to find Voldemort's tracks again. Or otherwise engineer things with manipulations to make sure that Voldemort learns very painfully what Mab's displeasure is like. Look what she did to Nicodemus in Skin Game.
I doubt Dresden would opt to have Marcone do his dirty work for him, though. He still doesn't like the guy at all, and he's not a "somebody else's problem" kind of person.
Dresden wouldn't come to him as an ally, but merely inform Marcone about Voldemort. I would imagine that Marcone would keep an eye out for Voldemort if he tries something, thus reducing the possibility of Voldemort managing to hide. If Voldemort starts using children or whatever, Marcone will take an interest.
Although, if Voldemort doesn't get involved in crime or start threatening children, I'd imagine that Marcone wouldn't get involved at all.
Of course, if we bring allies into it, Dresden could also go to the Council. Most of them might not help him, but you can bet Ebineezer McCoy and Carlos Ramirez would, unless they had a very good reason not to.
Post Skin Game, Harry's relationship with the Council is only vaguely known. The Gatekeeper is supposed to be preparing for his return. I'm actually betting that Peace Talks (or maybe the next book) will revolve around this. I'm sort-of hoping that Harry will bring little M to Ebenezer. The Council is busy with the Formor and other things supposedly. Of course, Harry wouldn't turn to them unless Voldemort manage to magically outclass him.
Credo!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zixinus wrote:That's not how Mab does things to begin with. I'd be safer sending death threats to the US president with a return address than insulting Mab.
I mean in the sense that Mab won't try to kill Voldemort personally. She'll go after him via catspaws.
If Voldemort manages to slip out of Harry's grasp, Mab would make sure that Harry has enough clues to find Voldemort's tracks again. Or otherwise engineer things with manipulations to make sure that Voldemort learns very painfully what Mab's displeasure is like. Look what she did to Nicodemus in Skin Game.
See above.
Dresden wouldn't come to him as an ally, but merely inform Marcone about Voldemort. I would imagine that Marcone would keep an eye out for Voldemort if he tries something, thus reducing the possibility of Voldemort managing to hide. If Voldemort starts using children or whatever, Marcone will take an interest.
Although, if Voldemort doesn't get involved in crime or start threatening children, I'd imagine that Marcone wouldn't get involved at all.
They don't really move in the same circles, so unless Voldemort happens to hurt some of Marcone's people, Marcone probably won't much care about him.
Post Skin Game, Harry's relationship with the Council is only vaguely known. The Gatekeeper is supposed to be preparing for his return. I'm actually betting that Peace Talks (or maybe the next book) will revolve around this. I'm sort-of hoping that Harry will bring little M to Ebenezer. The Council is busy with the Formor and other things supposedly. Of course, Harry wouldn't turn to them unless Voldemort manage to magically outclass him.
Peace Talks will certainly be interesting.

As to Voldemort outclassing Harry, I'd argue that he probably does in certain fields where Potterverse magic excels (including transportation, stealth, and mental influence), but in direct combat- only if he can use AK through Dresden's shields, and then its likely a moot point because a dead Dresden won't be calling in backup.

Edits: Forgot transfiguration. Voldemort can literally animate an army of minions if he wishes, most likely. Although that doesn't really seem his style. Voldemort's approach to combat is actually pretty crude. He's evidently fast and has raw power, but he doesn't use much besides apparating and Unforgivable Curses (mostly AK spam) in the books.

Though he did apparently create an undead army to guard one of his horcruxes.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I mean in the sense that Mab won't try to kill Voldemort personally. She'll go after him via catspaws.
I get that's what you are saying but you don't get what I am: it might be catspaws, but it will be Winter Faerie catspaws. Maniac, bloodthirsty, ruthless faries that aren't afraid of using guns and are actually very, very skilled at anti-magic. Mab isn't the type to go and beat someone who offends her with a stick. She probably can't even do that. She is going to manipulate things (as typical of faeries) so that Voldemort is going to be very, very sorry or hurt or even killed.
Credo!