Battle of the Chosen Ones.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Battle of the Chosen Ones.

Post by Elheru Aran »

True; up to ~6ish (when he starts really connecting with Lews Therin and learning some tricks from him), he's a rookie. The training with Asmodean helped considerably, but he didn't really settle into the Power until then. Unfortunately, after the whole being locked up in a box for a week thing (or was it just a few days?), he's kind of not in his right mind for a while there...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

And while he's in touch with Lews Therin, he's not yet outright to the point of evil as far as what he thinks goes as far as defeating the Dark One. Though, seizing and letting go of Saidin may make him nauseous at this point if I have my timeline right.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Also, I know we're shifting Rand's point in time. But I want to clear up some confusion. The Beginning of Towers of Midnight is RIGHT AFTER Rand is cured of his madness. He would be one BADASS motherfucker. Both on pattern probability(if it so determined), and sheer power. This can be confirmed by looking up Chapter 3: The Amyrlin's Anger when he walks right into Tar Valon and tells Egwene what he's going to do in the next book; the last one.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The madness thing is definitely important when it comes to a versus, because it's basically a straight-up limitation on his power. He lashes out a few times entirely too powerfully because of it, so when he regains sanity he's afraid to actually let loose again. So that would make things more interesting.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Well, when he regains sanity he more knows his cause than anything. But there's a few points where he's like "screw it, I'm doing it anyway" like the Battle of Maradon.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

True. I'm mainly thinking in terms of a versus scenario now though. Mid-period Rand (at least after book 6 or so) would be rather interesting because he'd be more unpredictable. Either he'll stand around pouting, brooding about how he can't do shit because people are stupid, or he'll go 'screw it let's fuck some shit up'. About the only thing that really gives him purpose for awhile is chasing Forsaken and trying to find a cure for his madness.

If he thinks that the Macguffin is some kind of cure, that could be a pretty decent motivation... or someone could give him the notion that all the others are Forsaken.

Yeah, no, I think he's still powerful enough to give everybody else a pretty damn good challenge...