What would YOU do in these hypothetical scenarios?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: What would YOU do in these hypothetical scenarios?

Post by Simon_Jester »

Archinist wrote:Of course I understand the point....
If you understand my point, what is your response to my point? Your real response, not some random cloud of nonsense you post to avoid actually addressing what I said?

I'm saying, quite simply, that your scenarios are made inferior by the random unrealistic stupidity that happens in the setup for the scenario. I made an analogy. You have been playing silly games in an attempt to deflect the analogy.

But what is your actual response to my point that your scenarios are being made inferior by the random stupidity you put in the setup?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Simon_Jester wrote:But what is your actual response to my point that your scenarios are being made inferior by the random stupidity you put in the setup?
They are really, really funny.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Archinist wrote:But plenty of food is coated in useless matter (for consumption). Expensive food is usually coated in fancy wines, gold, gems, etc.
Elheru Aran wrote:...where the hell have you been eating, kiddo?

That kind of food you're talking about is the stuff they serve in the restaurants that the ultra-super-mega-rich go to, and even *they* think that's going overboard a bit.
Huh. Not even all the mega-rich - we're spending the week at the home of a guy in the top 5% of the 1% and the food here is... well, not that different from what we eat at home. First night was baked chicken, butternut squash, beets, onions, and a brown rice pilaf. No wine, no gold, no gems...

OK, so the steak we had tonight was tender enough to cut with a butter knife (yes, really) so the quality of some of the ingredients is better than what I can afford to serve at home, but really, the super wealthy don't each much different, if at all, from the rest of the us. I mean, the spices and condiments in this guy's kitchen are all Costco housebrand. The bananas are Chiquita brand, which you can find everywhere including Wal-Mart and Aldi. The box of Triscut crackers are no different than the Triscuts you'd buy anywhere. Why would the super-wealthy eat that differently? They're people with the same needs as people anywhere. A lot of items available in any first-world grocery store are already high quality, there doesn't need to be a second tier above them.

It's statements like that, Archinist, that make the rest of us think you haven't been outside of mama's basement in far too long a time.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Archinist thinks we live in a cartoon. This steak needs more diamonds! Would you like another slice of emerald pie?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Ralin wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:But what is your actual response to my point that your scenarios are being made inferior by the random stupidity you put in the setup?
They are really, really funny.
I gotta hand it to the kid - he's taken "failure to understand how reality works on a fundamental level" to glorious new heights :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

... you mean glorious new depths, don't you?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok, this has gone on long enough. Page Lock
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet