What would YOU do in these hypothetical scenarios?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Archinist
Padawan Learner

What would YOU do in these hypothetical scenarios?

Post by Archinist »

First one. You are doing nothing, posting useless and also useful things on an internet forum, when suddenly your phones beeps and upon checking it, you discover your best mate has texted you, telling that he had broken down in the middle of the bush. You quickly drive out to his GPS position and see a trashed Holden Accord, rolled several times down a hill, 20 beer bottles smashed everywhere, a laptop and tablet are dangling from the trees by metal cables. A strange red inky liquid is splashed on the ground is trailing deeper into the forest with small splashes.

Second scenario. You are in bed, resting and humming, but then your neighbors drive up and down the road revving their V8 cars to their maximum extents and doing wheelies and burnouts on the street, while crowds of drunken mates yell "OI OI OI" over and over again at the top of their lungs, throwing beer bottles everywhere, some even at houses. You have a major exam the next day.

Third scenario. Your mate is mounting a generator in his shed, and tells you how quiet it is through a text on your phone. He then says he will put it under his staircase, in his house, since it is so quiet, and won't disturb his sleep. He reports back his success and tells you he will shut off his power for this day and rely on the generator only for today. Then he leaves a text saying that he is tired, and will rest on his couch watching TV for half an hour or so. 10 minutes later, you text back asking if it's okay to join him, but he never replies. Several hours and 14 texts pass, but still no response.

Fourth scenario. You are at work, doing things in an office, when your wife rings and tells you that she will clean the house up, and get rid of all those terrible moldy things on the bathroom walls. She says a nice lad on 4chan told her to mix two powerful cleaning solutions together in great quantities in a small, enclosed room to create a super-chemical that will erase any mold in microseconds! She is very excited and hangs up to do the cleaning, saying that she will call you back soon, but strangely she never calls you back nor picks up the phone when you call her. How mysterious.

Fifth scenario: You are visiting your best friend's house, and parking your car in the garage, making sure the automatic door doesn't crush your car upon closing, when all of a sudden your girlfriend calls you and begins making a massive argument over a major issue. You argue and argue over the phone, until the arguments are so awful you feel physically unwell and lacking proper judgement, smash the phone into small bits on the ground. Your mate's garage connects to his house, and is normally locked, but you have the key inside your car. However, you feel quite ill at this point, so you close and lock your car doors with both garage and car keys still inside, while the car is still running. If you yell a lot, your mate might hear you, but maybe you could rest to clear your head for a little while, there is a comfortable bed in the garage..?

6th scenario: You are eating some dodgey fish with your mates, who joke about accidentally getting SALMONella. That night, you awaken with a terrible pain in your right abdomen, but decide to ignore it and call a doctor later. You are planning to go camping with your wife that day, and even the pain has increased dramatically by that time, and you have some vomiting, but you go anyway, thinking you just have some minor food poisoning. But when you arrive at the campsite and there is no cellphone coverage in the area, and the nearest town is 100 miles away and you can hardly walk. You quickly get a book of common diseases and injuries, but have barely started reading when the appendix of the book ruptures, (hahaha) spilling rotten paper and stuff everywhere, so you drop it into a deep lake underneath you. You are now in so much pain that you pass out every 5 minutes and physically cannot move, but your wife thinks you just have a slight cold and ignores you.

Scenarios are mostly open-ended, meaning that they can go either way, as long as they still vaguely cling to the text.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: What would YOU do in these hypothetical scenarios?

Post by Simon_Jester »

1) Call the cops.

2) Call the cops.

3) This can't happen because no friend of mine would be stupid enough to give themselves carbon monoxide poisoning that way. It's not that I hate people that stupid, but I don't stay their friend for any length of time.

4) Are you calling my wife stupid? Go to hell.

5) While I have never in my life done so, I suppose I am capable of throwing a phone in a fit of anger. Moreover, unlike a childish immature little shit, I am capable of restraining my anger, especially if anything related to my wife is involved (I'm substituting her for 'girlfriend'). That said, my phone is practically indestructible and does not smash readily, even when it hits a concrete floor. Moreover, I am not dumb enough to give myself carbon monoxide poisoning.

6) I get in the car and start driving, planning a lovely camping trip with my wife, because I was not dumb enough to eat the dodgey fish, nor are my friends. The pain in my appendix alerts me that something is highly wrong and I go to the doctor immediately. My wife does not ignore me because she is not a stupid callous piece of shit and are you calling my wife stupid? Go to hell. The special hell, with the dullest tridents and the most annoying muzak.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Simon_Jester wrote:1) Call the cops.

2) Call the cops.

3) This can't happen because no friend of mine would be stupid enough to give themselves carbon monoxide poisoning that way. It's not that I hate people that stupid, but I don't stay their friend for any length of time.

4) Are you calling my wife stupid? Go to hell.

5) While I have never in my life done so, I suppose I am capable of throwing a phone in a fit of anger. That said, my phone is practically indestructible and does not smash readily, even when it hits a concrete floor. Moreover, I am not dumb enough to give myself carbon monoxide poisoning.

6) I get in the car and start driving, planning a lovely camping trip with my wife, because I was not dumb enough to eat the dodgey fish, nor are my friends. The pain in my appendix alerts me that something is highly wrong and I go to the doctor immediately. My wife does not ignore me because she is not a stupid callous piece of shit and are you calling my wife stupid? Go to hell.
Okay, it is important to not actually take "your mate" or "your wife" too seriously, and not take offense at any ignorance they might have in the story. Of course I'm not calling your wife or your friends stupid, nor anyone else's for that matter. They are simply generic 'filler' characters that are made to represent a role in the scenarios, and you could replace them with any other person, as long as they do the same role. For example "your mate" could be substituted with "your work colleague who is not really a friend but fun to hang out with sometimes".

Also, for the 5th scenario, the CO impaired your judgement and caused you to smash your phone, or something like that I guess.

Also, there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Archinist wrote:First one. You are doing nothing, posting useless and also useful things on an internet forum, when suddenly your phones beeps and upon checking it, you discover your best mate has texted you,
I phone him back. Voice call.

When I receive no answer, I wait 5 minutes. Then call the police.
Second scenario. You are in bed, resting and humming, but then your neighbors drive up and down the road revving their V8 cars to their maximum extents and doing wheelies and burnouts on the street, while crowds of drunken mates yell "OI OI OI" over and over again at the top of their lungs, throwing beer bottles everywhere, some even at houses. You have a major exam the next day.
Calling police. They will deal with this swiftly.

Next day I'm going to the exam. Then applying for compassionate consideration. Probably a trip to the police station to get proof that this happened.
Third scenario. Your mate is mounting a generator in his shed, and tells you how quiet it is through a text on your phone. He then says he will put it under his staircase, in his house, since it is so quiet, and won't disturb his sleep. He reports back his success and tells you he will shut off his power for this day and rely on the generator only for today. Then he leaves a text saying that he is tired, and will rest on his couch watching TV for half an hour or so. 10 minutes later, you text back asking if it's okay to join him, but he never replies. Several hours and 14 texts pass, but still no response.
I'd have questioned him about carbon monoxide when he suggested moving it. Then made a voice call the moment he mentioned feeling tired. If that didn't go through, ambulance.
Fourth scenario. You are at work, doing things in an office, when your wife rings and tells you that she will clean the house up, and get rid of all those terrible moldy things on the bathroom walls. She says a nice lad on 4chan told her to mix two powerful cleaning solutions together in great quantities in a small, enclosed room to create a super-chemical that will erase any mold in microseconds! She is very excited and hangs up to do the cleaning, saying that she will call you back soon, but strangely she never calls you back nor picks up the phone when you call her. How mysterious.
I call the police because I got a really worrying wrong number. I'm not married.

But if I had a wife, I'd have started asking questions the moment she mentioned 4chan. Then called an ambulance when there was no reply.

How terrible are the emergency services in your country that you're expecting any other answer ?
Fifth scenario: You are visiting your best friend's house, and parking your car in the garage, making sure the automatic door doesn't crush your car upon closing, when all of a sudden your girlfriend calls you
I don't answer the phone while driving. I will stop and shut off the engine before calling back. Anyone who calls me knows this. Anyone who doesn't accept this won't stay a friend of mine for long. End of scenario.

Did you just learn about carbon monoxide poisoning today ?

6th scenario: You are eating some dodgey fish with your mates, who joke about accidentally getting SALMONella. That night, you awaken with a terrible pain in your right abdomen, but decide to ignore it and call a doctor later. You are planning to go camping with your wife that day,
Putting off the call to the doctor is how I'd likely do things. But the camping plans would be cancelled due to illness. End of scenario.
Scenarios are mostly open-ended, meaning that they can go either way, as long as they still vaguely cling to the text.
I will not act like an idiot in your scenarios just because you demand it.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

bilateralrope wrote:
Archinist wrote:First one. ,
Fifth scenario: You are visiting your best friend's house, and parking your car in the garage, making sure the automatic door doesn't crush your car upon closing, when all of a sudden your girlfriend calls you
I don't answer the phone while driving. I will stop and shut off the engine before calling back. Anyone who calls me knows this. Anyone who doesn't accept this won't stay a friend of mine for long. End of scenario.
You have stopped the car in the garage, and the door is closed. What is the harm of running the engine while checking the phone quickly, just for a few seconds, right? That is what I would probably do, along with lots of people. I mean, you're not actually driving...

I will not act like an idiot in your scenarios just because you demand it.
[/quote]

Even intelligent albeit ignorant people could make mistakes in scenarios such as these..
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Archinist, when you say "my mate," I translate that as "my friend." Or even "my acquaintance I hang out with."

I don't hang out with people for a pile of dog manure in place of their brains. You THINK people who are "intelligent but ignorant" can make mistakes like this. The thing is, people who are ACTUALLY intelligent learn about things like carbon monoxide poisoning early in their lives. Only people who think they are smart, but are in fact as dumb as a parrot, don't learn about this until later in life.

So yes, people who are not stupid know not to give themselves carbon monoxide poisoning.

The HANDFUL of exceptions to this rule are kids. Literal kids- teenagers at the oldest.

But see, I am what we call a grown-up. And accordingly, I don't hang out with a bunch of adolescents who are too young and ignorant to know not to take lungfuls of car exhaust. I certainly don't date them. And I doubly-certainly would never have married one of them.

Grown-up generally don't socialize with children, outside the context of raising them and caring for them, precisely because children are deeply, deeply ignorant and cannot understand and cope with the adult world. Especially not without supervision to make sure they don't do dumb, immature things like smashing phones or giving themselves carbon monoxide poisoning by moving a fuel-burning generator inside their home.

When grown-ups assure you that a grown-up would have to be deeply, profoundly, unbelievably stupid to do the things in your scenarios... believe them.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Archinist wrote:Even intelligent albeit ignorant people could make mistakes in scenarios such as these..
Ignorance is when someone doesn't know something. You are telling me to ignore things that I know. That is telling me to act stupid.

At least tabletop RPGs have a separation of in-character and out of character knowledge. So there are times when the GM can say that the character doesn't know x. That separation doesn't exist when we are the character in the scenario.

Also, remember how I said you were acting like a terrible GM in one of your other threads ?

I stand by that. You're coming across like you write these with an expected outcome in mind that you want us to come to. Save us all the frustration and just tell us what those outcomes are.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

No, you can do whatever you want, actually as long as it vaguely follows the original direction! If you go "hmmm" and realise that you might have appendicitis, you are free to end the scenario as going to the hospital and getting it removed. However, you just can't do completely irrelevant things like this:
Example Scenario: You are shopping at Walmart for oranges but there are only apples.
Answer: Well, I obviously devour everyone there and stick their heads on sticks and then fly to Mexico and have a barbie with my best friend, Dingus! Haha!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

1) Call the law.

2) Call the law.

3) People in the real world have the goddamned common sense to know that putting a generator which produces carbon monoxide fumes inside their houses is a stupid, and lethal idea, even the dumbest people I know. This scenario doesn't happen.

4) Even if I were married, most women I know would have the goddamned common sense to hire a professional to rid the house of mold, or we would just simply move if the mold problem is too bad. Major mold infestations are not a DIY project and never will be.

Besides, most people have the goddamned common sense to ignore 90% of what's on the internet.

5) I wouldn't pull into my best friend's garage, because either his car or his crap have taken it over. That is the way it goes with most people who have a carport/garage. I'd either park in the driveway or in the street, as most guests would.

6) If it's dodgey, I don't put it in my mouth. Most people wouldn't, because they have common fucking sense. End of scenario.
Dumber Than Parrots wrote:Okay, it is important to not actually take "your mate" or "your wife" too seriously, and not take offense at any ignorance they might have in the story.
If I didn't take the ones I care about too seriously, they wouldn't be the people I care about. So, fuck you with a rusty razor.
Of course I'm not calling your wife or your friends stupid, nor anyone else's for that matter.
You are by implication.
They are simply generic 'filler' characters that are made to represent a role in the scenarios, and you could replace them with any other person, as long as they do the same role. For example "your mate" could be substituted with "your work colleague who is not really a friend but fun to hang out with sometimes".
Maybe what few friends you have, and your inflatable girlfriend are that to you in the real world, but the people real people care about are not that to them. Which is why Simon rightfully took offense at your implication that his wife and friends are morons would clean mold with some concocction suggested to them by random people on the Internet or knowingly put dodgey fish into their bodies.

Hell, I bet you'd even have real people washing and re-using ziploc bags, if given half a chance.
Also, for the 5th scenario, the CO impaired your judgement and caused you to smash your phone, or something like that I guess.
No, it really wouldn't, because I wouldn't have parked my vehicle in someone else's garage/carport for the reasons given above, and I turn my car off after I've parked it somewhere. Most people do.
Also, there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.
Well, no shit, Dick Tracy. Not that it's relevant to you having real people do things that so utterly fly in the face of common sense, that even Broomstick's parrots know not to do them.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

More Idiotic Than Beretta's Bird wrote:No, you can do whatever you want, actually as long as it vaguely follows the original direction!
I had a best friend who GMed using that precise mentality. He's still my best friend, love him like a brother, but I don't play any games where he GMs anymore. Nor does he get too many offers from our mutual gaming friends to gamemaster.

I do wonder why...

If you go "hmmm" and realise that you might have appendicitis, you are free to end the scenario as going to the hospital and getting it removed. However, you just can't do completely irrelevant things like this:
Example Scenario: You are shopping at Walmart for oranges but there are only apples.

Answer: Well, I obviously devour everyone there and stick their heads on sticks and then fly to Mexico and have a barbie with my best friend, Dingus! Haha!
That's odd, because that's exactly what you'd have people doing if this was one of your scenarios.

And, having the goddamned common sense to avoid the situation which sets up any of your Ridiculous Six Scenarios is not irrelevant.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

OK, OK, these are not quite as bad as some of what you've offered up in the past... I suppose there is some progress here...
Archinist wrote:First one. You are doing nothing, posting useless and also useful things on an internet forum, when suddenly your phones beeps and upon checking it, you discover your best mate has texted you, telling that he had broken down in the middle of the bush. You quickly drive out to his GPS position and see a trashed Holden Accord, rolled several times down a hill, 20 beer bottles smashed everywhere, a laptop and tablet are dangling from the trees by metal cables. A strange red inky liquid is splashed on the ground is trailing deeper into the forest with small splashes.
I call 911 and get professional help, after which I try to locate any wounded on the ground and render first aid until the pros actually get there.

Hypothetical Parrot Reaction (HPR): probably hiding, as they understand chaos can be a Bad Thing, but if not hiding generating alarm calls.
Archinist wrote:Second scenario. You are in bed, resting and humming, but then your neighbors drive up and down the road revving their V8 cars to their maximum extents and doing wheelies and burnouts on the street, while crowds of drunken mates yell "OI OI OI" over and over again at the top of their lungs, throwing beer bottles everywhere, some even at houses. You have a major exam the next day.
I live next to a bar. This, to me, is a normal Saturday night. Beer bottles? I've had fistfights on the front lawn, people vomiting in the driveway, and once an honest-to-god shoot-out at said bar. I ignore it. Did I mention I occasionally used to fall asleep during my spouse's band practice? It was a bagpipe and drum band. Really, I seem to have a higher than normal tolerance for loud noise (and getting higher as my hearing isn't what it used to be). Worst case, I get out my old aviation headset with 30 db of noise protection and use it to cover my ears.

Bottom line - as long as no one is actually getting maimed or killed I can probably ignore it.

HPR: They live next to a bar, too. Either they ignore it, or they're contributing to the party noise themselves.
Archinist wrote:Third scenario. Your mate is mounting a generator in his shed, and tells you how quiet it is through a text on your phone. He then says he will put it under his staircase, in his house, since it is so quiet, and won't disturb his sleep. He reports back his success and tells you he will shut off his power for this day and rely on the generator only for today. Then he leaves a text saying that he is tired, and will rest on his couch watching TV for half an hour or so. 10 minutes later, you text back asking if it's okay to join him, but he never replies. Several hours and 14 texts pass, but still no response.
I wouldn't wait fucking "hours". As soon as he starts talking about putting a generator in the house and reports tiredness I contact 911 and request a wellness check.

Then again, just over 25 years ago I buried my sister after CO killed her so I'm a bit hyperaware of these things.

HPR: They don't know jack about CO poisoning, and are also more vulnerable to it than humans. They'll collapse and die even faster than humans, see "canary in the coal mine" effect.
Archinist wrote:Fourth scenario. You are at work, doing things in an office, when your wife rings and tells you that she will clean the house up, and get rid of all those terrible moldy things on the bathroom walls. She says a nice lad on 4chan told her to mix two powerful cleaning solutions together in great quantities in a small, enclosed room to create a super-chemical that will erase any mold in microseconds! She is very excited and hangs up to do the cleaning, saying that she will call you back soon, but strangely she never calls you back nor picks up the phone when you call her. How mysterious.
First, I'm really really puzzled at having a "wife" as I definitely prefer men and in fact am married to one. So I'm going to assume you really meant "spouse". First of all, my spouse is not fucking stupid about chemicals, and neither am I - among other things, I used to mix my own cyanotype emulsion which, if not done properly, will generate hydrogen cyanide and will fucking kill you. Sort of like mixing household bleach and ammonia can fucking kill you. Among other fun things. My spouse has likewise utilized potentially dangerous chemistry. This has resulted in the two of us being extremely cautious about mixing shit.

I used plain old household bleach on mold, good old sodium hypochlorite, which is really all you need.

But let's say I do get a phone call from someone claiming to be my "wife" - I use caller ID to note the number, then call 911, give them the number, suggest they do a reverse look up and and wellness check on the address given the content of the phone call. I don't fuck around with calling/leaving messages.

HPR: Again, more vulnerable than humans to this sort of shit, they probably collapse and die.
Archinist wrote:Fifth scenario: You are visiting your best friend's house, and parking your car in the garage, making sure the automatic door doesn't crush your car upon closing, when all of a sudden your girlfriend calls you and begins making a massive argument over a major issue. You argue and argue over the phone, until the arguments are so awful you feel physically unwell and lacking proper judgement, smash the phone into small bits on the ground. Your mate's garage connects to his house, and is normally locked, but you have the key inside your car. However, you feel quite ill at this point, so you close and lock your car doors with both garage and car keys still inside, while the car is still running. If you yell a lot, your mate might hear you, but maybe you could rest to clear your head for a little while, there is a comfortable bed in the garage..?
See reference above to burying a loved one due to CO poisoning. Which, by the way, occured due to running car in a closed garage. This is just not going to happen in my case. I am totally fucking paranoid about running engines in close quarters.

HPR: Again, more vulnerable than humans, poor things. RIP.
Archinist wrote:6th scenario: You are eating some dodgey fish with your mates, who joke about accidentally getting SALMONella. That night, you awaken with a terrible pain in your right abdomen, but decide to ignore it and call a doctor later. You are planning to go camping with your wife that day, and even the pain has increased dramatically by that time, and you have some vomiting, but you go anyway, thinking you just have some minor food poisoning. But when you arrive at the campsite and there is no cellphone coverage in the area, and the nearest town is 100 miles away and you can hardly walk. You quickly get a book of common diseases and injuries, but have barely started reading when the appendix of the book ruptures, (hahaha) spilling rotten paper and stuff everywhere, so you drop it into a deep lake underneath you. You are now in so much pain that you pass out every 5 minutes and physically cannot move, but your wife thinks you just have a slight cold and ignores you.
>sigh<

If I waken with a "terrible pain" I might wait until morning office hours to call the doctor, but I WILL see one that day, and may just go straight to the ER. If I'm vomiting I'm not going fucking camping. If I have severe pain in the right side of my belly and vomiting I am going to an ER.

And if I'm in that much pain my spouse is NOT going to think I have "a slight cold"

HPR: Unlike you, they have empathy for others. My birds get distressed when some other member of the flock is in pain or ill, especially since birds don't show such things until they are nearly dead so they get VERY upset when the humans are sick. The conure, in particular, will sit on your shoulder and say "It's OK! It's OK!" in what I believe is an attempt to reassure either you or himself or both. Alarm calls are also a feature of such a scenario. In other words, the average parrot will recognize this is serious and attempt to alert others to a problem.

Do you actually know any adult human beings?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Honestly, I think that in your Scenario Four, the parrot (and their mate) would escape death by being smart enough not to look up advice on how to mix lethal chemicals 4chan.

Also, it occurs to me that Archinist's viewing "your friends" and "your spouse" as generic filler characters rather than specific human beings is a symptom of his overall problem. He doesn't really get that other people have brains and don't mindlessly rush into obviously self-destructive things. Because they think ahead a little, or if they're dealing with situations they don't understand, they know they don't understand and act accordingly. There's little or no sign that he comprehends how people relate to each other or interact with each other.

In other words, Archinist viewing "your spouse" as a generic filler character, to whom he can attribute incredible stupidity, and whom he can just assert you will fail to look out for, and whom he can assert will fail to look out for you...

All of that makes it very obvious that Archinist does not have a spouse. Or a girlfriend. Or, realistically, friends of any kind.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Simon_Jester wrote:Honestly, I think that in your Scenario Four, the parrot (and their mate) would escape death by being smart enough not to look 4

Also, it occurs to me that Archinist's viewing "your friends" and "your spouse" as generic filler characters rather than specific human beings is a 3
All of that makes it very obvious that Archinist does not have a spouse. Or a girlfriend. Or, realistically, friends of any kind.
No, it's just so that the characters make sense, so you are properly concerned, and not just think they are trolling or high. If a random person rang you up and started talking about their generator, you'd probably just think they had the wrong number and hang up. However, if your best m`
There are plenty of people who are ignorant of basic safety information, and there are a good amount of people who die from easily preventable safety-related reasons every year. I mean, not all people even know what a computer is.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thing is, that doesn't make sense. You claim you are talking about events happening to those we are close to so that we will be "properly concerned." But you describe people (both the other people the scenarios, and us personally) acting as though they are NOT "properly concerned."

"Your wife thinks you just have a minor cold," when you're throwing up and complaining of severe internal pain. That is not "properly concerned." Anyone callous and ignorant enough to behave like that, I would not have married.

In scenario four, you describe my wife performing a sequence of events that is utterly unrealistic. I would not have married someone that stupid. I made the deliberate choice to marry someone who was sensible, level-headed, and who had enough life experience NOT to run off on someone else's say-so and go mix chemicals that would create poison gas.

Moreover, I myself am not so incredibly brick-stupid an excuse for a parrot human being that I would just go "uh-huh, whatever" when a friend told me they were going to move a fuel-burning generator into their home, or when my wife tells me they're going to mix household chemicals to 'magically' remove mold. Because I am not so ignorant or unmotivated that I would ignore these things, rather than going "that sounds incredibly unsafe, please do not do that."

Therefore, the very act of writing this scenario in the second person "you do this dumb thing, your wife does that dumb thing, you ignore that this is dumb and don't warn her about an obvious danger, then you do another dumb thing and ignore the problem for five hours, what do you do now?" is insulting. You are implying that you actually think we are this stupid.

And it's irrelevant that yes, a few people die this way each year. While a few people die from ignoring basic safety information every year, they are a tiny, tiny minority, and the vast majority of those people are unusually reckless with their safety.

Most people are not like that. The people who die that way are not merely unlucky. They are unusual. Either because they're stupid, or because they're actively suicidal.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The thing is that when I'm dealing with people (hell even children like those of my brother's) in a real life context and not over the internet you assume "not trolling" as a default, since most things you've stated WILL KILL YOU in a short time frame if not dealt with and I or probably no one else here besides you wants to attend a funeral of a loved one or friend because they didn't act fast enough because they assumed said person was just joking.

You know in real life you can load a saved game or redo a session, once someone is dead they're dead and WILL NEVER COME BACK, that is why real people with actual emotions and intelligence react very seriously to things like possible CO poisoning nor do intelligent people mix chemicals according to random formulas they found in a webforum.

Simon made a really good point that while people do die of rather stupid every year they're far from the norm and actually most people aren't either suicidally stupid or just plain old suicidal.

I have a family history of heart problems (in fact my 65 year old uncle died of heart failure this year), any hypothetical friend or spouce would know this and as result would know that if I complained about pain to take it dead seriously as not doing so might end with me dead and as I stated before in the real world dead means dead and there's no take backs.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Dumber Than Parrots wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Honestly, I think that in your Scenario Four, the parrot (and their mate) would escape death by being smart enough not to look 4

Also, it occurs to me that Archinist's viewing "your friends" and "your spouse" as generic filler characters rather than specific human beings is a 3
No, it's just so that the characters make sense, so you are properly concerned, and not just think they are trolling or high. If a random person rang you up and started talking about their generator, you'd probably just think they had the wrong number and hang up. However, if your best m`
There are plenty of people who are ignorant of basic safety information, and there are a good amount of people who die from easily preventable safety-related reasons every year. I mean, not all people even know what a computer is.

Scenario 1:

First thing I do is call him and call emergency services. I mean, did you seriously think that people would look at a scene like that and just stand there with a stupid expression on their face for several hours?

Scenario 2:

As I do not live next to a bar, I call the police.

Scenario 3:

I immediately tell my friend to stop because I know how dangerous it is to have a generator running inside the house. In fact, most small generators I've come across even come with warnings on them not to use them inside your house. This shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Scenario 4: I tell my (theoretical) spouse to stop immediately before she does anything? Not that most adults would have this kind of problem; most cleaning agents have specific warning labels on them telling you not to mix them with other cleaning agents for that very reason. You don't have to have a masters in chemistry to know "mixing two chemicals with unknown effect= bad idea".

Scenario 5:

I am not stupid enough to leave my car on in an enclosed space for any length of time, I would have turned it off when I first came in. Hell, they even teach you not to do that in driver's school.

Scenario 6:

Apart from the fact that I wouldn't eat the dodgy fish to begin with, I am the type of person that would not go camping if I were in significant pain, and would go to a Doctor if the pain continued. Besides which, when someone is in obvious pain most people's first reaction is "you should see a Doctor" not "meh you just have a cold, walk it off" Also, why would my hypothetical spouse confuse "having a slight cold" with "such severe pain that I cannot move and pass out every 5 mintues"? How stupid does someone have to be to confuse those two? Oh wait, you would literally have to be Dumber Than Parrots according to Broomstick.

Congrats, you've evolved from making the characters in your scenarios act Dumber Than Parrots to trying to make us and/or our friends/loved ones act Dumber Than Parrots! That takes a real special kind of trolling and / or level of stupidity on your part. Well done.

Your asking us what we do in a situation, but some of your scenarios here are so stupid we and/ or the people we associate with wouldn't get ourselves into that situation in the first place. What you are saying, basically is "for some inexplicable reason you did something incredibly stupid and out of character, so what do you do now?" Your railroading attempts are kinda getting annoying.

You really should use this as your avatar, I think it suits you.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Archinist, I've got a question for you. A question you should have thought up answers to before posting. What would YOU do in these hypothetical scenarios?

Would you really reach the end of what you wrote in every scenario ?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think his problem is that he wants a certain reaction but he's not skilled to "hide the rails" so to speak, you can have good story that's essentially "on rails" but a talented writer makes it so that you don't question the rails because doing so seems the most logical/sensible way of doing things.

Lets take Bioshock for example, the writers use the expectations of the players regarding the gendre and clever writing to have the player not question it when they say "would you kindly follow these rails" as far as the story is conserned and only after a late game spoiler so realize that there was really just 1 path. Archinist on the other hand is so blatant and obvious that he draws constant attention to the fact that there's not even an illusion of choice, we're only suppose to guess what he wants us to say and say that, that's why his RARs are so boring, there's nothing to discuss really.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

bilateralrope wrote:Archinist, I've got a question for you. A question you should have thought up answers to before posting. What would YOU do in these hypothetical scenarios?

I have no idea, but I'm sure I wouldn't survive each scenario the first time I attempted one. If there was a 3-life respawn system that kept your memories, then I probably would.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Is parking your car in a friends garage when you go to visit them normal behaviour for anyone here ?
Archinist wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:Archinist, I've got a question for you. A question you should have thought up answers to before posting. What would YOU do in these hypothetical scenarios?

I have no idea, but I'm sure I wouldn't survive each scenario the first time I attempted one. If there was a 3-life respawn system that kept your memories, then I probably would.
That settles questions about your intelligence.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yep. Broomstick's parrots would survive at least, oh... three or four of these scenarios through their superior intellect.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Why is this in Fantasy?
Archinist wrote:First one. You are doing nothing, posting useless and also useful things on an internet forum, when suddenly your phones beeps and upon checking it, you discover your best mate has texted you, telling that he had broken down in the middle of the bush. You quickly drive out to his GPS position and see a trashed Holden Accord, rolled several times down a hill, 20 beer bottles smashed everywhere, a laptop and tablet are dangling from the trees by metal cables. A strange red inky liquid is splashed on the ground is trailing deeper into the forest with small splashes.
Okay, I call an ambulance, and try to administer first aid. I have no idea who this person is, as none of my friends drive a Honda Accord or a 'Holden Accord', whatever that is, but clearly there's someone hurt, if not dead here.
I've lived in neighborhoods like this, best you can do is either call the cops, or try to ignore it and get some sleep. Maybe take photos of the cars with my phone so that I can give them to the cops as proof.
Why is he doing this? Assuming this is a gas powered generator, why is he trying to give himself carbon monoxide poisoning? If it's not(because this is a Fantasy thread), and it's some sort of secret government generator, or powered by unicorn blood or something, go over and call the cops, if not investigate myself, since he's now wrapped up in a conspiracy.
Well, I'm both single and gay, so I try to explain to this woman that she has the wrong number, and that that is a bad idea. Try to get her address and get one of my coworkers to call an ambulance to get to her before she dies or burns the house down or something.
Fifth scenario: You are visiting your best friend's house, and parking your car in the garage, making sure the automatic door doesn't crush your car upon closing, when all of a sudden your girlfriend calls you and begins making a massive argument over a major issue. You argue and argue over the phone, until the arguments are so awful you feel physically unwell and lacking proper judgement, smash the phone into small bits on the ground. Your mate's garage connects to his house, and is normally locked, but you have the key inside your car. However, you feel quite ill at this point, so you close and lock your car doors with both garage and car keys still inside, while the car is still running. If you yell a lot, your mate might hear you, but maybe you could rest to clear your head for a little while, there is a comfortable bed in the garage..?
Consider I live on a budget, this is rather out of character for me. I'd shut off my vehicle to try and save gas, as well as not poisoning the room I'm breathing the air in. I also quite like my phone, and don't want it smashed, since I'd have to pay for the new one. And if I'm not worrying about carbon monoxide poisoning, I still shut it off as it's a natural habit. Is this one of those unicorn blood car engines that have come about, justifying why this is in Fantasy? If that's the case, I still turn my vehicle off, as that unicorn blood is pricy and I don't want to spend more of my paycheck filling up the tank.
6th scenario: You are eating some dodgey fish with your mates, who joke about accidentally getting SALMONella. That night, you awaken with a terrible pain in your right abdomen, but decide to ignore it and call a doctor later. You are planning to go camping with your wife that day, and even the pain has increased dramatically by that time, and you have some vomiting, but you go anyway, thinking you just have some minor food poisoning. But when you arrive at the campsite and there is no cellphone coverage in the area, and the nearest town is 100 miles away and you can hardly walk. You quickly get a book of common diseases and injuries, but have barely started reading when the appendix of the book ruptures, (hahaha) spilling rotten paper and stuff everywhere, so you drop it into a deep lake underneath you. You are now in so much pain that you pass out every 5 minutes and physically cannot move, but your wife thinks you just have a slight cold and ignores you.
Still single, still gay. I'm not going camping with this strange woman who thinks I'm her husband, even if I was healthy. Currently, I call in sick for work, and either get an appointment with the doctor, rest, or if it's this life threatening, go to the hospital. Must have been the fumes from that unicorn blood engine,
Archinist wrote:

How do you die in the first four scenarios, when you're dealing with A. people needing emergency assistance, B. rowdy drunk neighbors keeping you awake, and C. some nitwit calling you telling you that they're committing death by carbon monoxide poisoning, D. some hypothetical spouse calling you telling you that they're about to kill themselves via dangerous chemistry? This isn't a video game, where there are mission objectives, and if you fail them, it's a game over, and you have to restart the mission.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Archinist wrote:No, it's just so that the characters make sense, so you are properly concerned, and not just think they are trolling or high. If a random person rang you up and started talking about their generator, you'd probably just think they had the wrong number and hang up.
No, actually, I probably wouldn't. Because I actually give a little bit of a fuck about even random strangers.
And who are "those people"? Even my Amish neighbors know what a computer is even if they don't use them.

Yes, there ARE a lot of ignorant people. When it comes to normal social emotions and understanding of social interactions you appear to be one of them.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:Honestly, I think that in your Scenario Four, the parrot (and their mate) would escape death by being smart enough not to look up advice on how to mix lethal chemicals 4chan.
Well, actually, my parrots haven't learned to read (yet) although I have had one that learned to manipulate a mousepad pretty well (he used to target and kill things in Unreal Tournament) so they would succumb as the primary actor in that scenario for the simple reason they'd never read the instructions on how to lethally mix household chemicals. Also, they can't get into the bleach and other bottles. I was sort of assuming they were innocent bystanders in the scenario while some idiot did something stupid in the vicinity.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

FaxModem1 wrote:How do you die in the first four scenarios, when you're dealing with
My guess is that he doesn't trust and/or doesn't know about his local emergency services.
A. people needing emergency assistance,
Not trusting/not knowing about his local emergency services, he tries to help on his own. Due to his stupidity he does it so badly that whoever stumbled away from the crash realises that Archinist will only make things worse. But he keeps insisting, forcing the survivor to have to physically fight him off. Archinist dies in the fight when the drunk shoves him over a hill.

The court rules it a clear case of self-defence.
B. rowdy drunk neighbors keeping you awake,
Not trusting/not knowing about his local emergency services, he goes out and tries to make them stop by standing in the street. It's dark, they are travelling too fast, and he's standing on the road. You can guess the rest.
and C. some nitwit calling you telling you that they're committing death by carbon monoxide poisoning, D. some hypothetical spouse calling you telling you that they're about to kill themselves via dangerous chemistry?
Not trusting/not knowing about his local emergency services, he rushes over there to attempt to assist, getting himself killed by the same gasses that killed whoever he was trying to help.