Joe Manganiello to play Deathstroke in new Batman movie

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Joe Manganiello to play Deathstroke in new Batman movie

Post by Iroscato »

Fack yas.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/09/08/d ... lo-casting
True Blood and Magic Mike star Joe Manganiello will star as Deathstroke in Warner Bros.' upcoming Batman solo film, DC Entertainment chief creative officer Geoff Johns has announced.

In addition to confirming Ben Affleck's previous social-media tease that Deathstroke will appear in the aforementioned standalone film, Johns revealed in an interview with The Wall Street Journal that Manganiello will be taking on the villainous role.

However, the DC executive refused to say whether or not the character will be making an appearance in the upcoming Justice League movie, which opens on November 10, 2017 and is currently filming in London.

Johns also couldn't comment on when fans can expect the new Batman standalone film to hit theaters. Affleck is both directing and starring in the film as the iconic Caped Crusader. The actor is also writing the script alongside Johns.
Totally, totally up for this even after the twin disappointments of BvS and Suicide Squad. Affleck is the best Batman I've ever seen and is a capable director, and Johns has a real shot of pulling the mess of the DCU into cohesion and competence. Bring it.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Joe Manganiello to play Deathstroke in new Batman movie

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Wait, you mean they are still making Batman movies?
Huh...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Joe Who?

And I'm not excited by Geoff Johns. He also did the GL movie.Which while not as bad as the say was still rather mediocre.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Wait, you mean they are still making Batman movies?
Huh...
You mean you missed the one that came out earlier this year?
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2016-09-08 05:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Huh...
Ayup. Apparently after the dumpster fire that was Dark Knight Rises, and the moderate-but-not-awesome success of Batman vs Superman, they decided to let Batfleck have his own shot at directing his own character. Recently there was quite a bit of buzz in the various cosplay forums when he released a Twitter video showcasing a screen test of a Deathstroke costume. Slade is a pretty popular villain, so I'm not too surprised that they'd pull him out, especially with featuring the fairly similar Deadshot in Suicide Squad recently and making decent bank off that.

EDIT:
Joe Mangianello (can never spell that last name) is mostly famous from TV (True Blood mostly) and a few bit pieces in movies (notably Magic Mike). Apparently he played Flash Thompson in the Raimi Spider-Man movies... go figure. Seems he's a fan of the character. I can't recall if he actually voiced him in an Arkham game or something?

It could work though:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

He did Magic Mike and he's Sophia Vergara's husband, so he probably has some pretty strong tabloid pull to supplement the box office draw in case it's another BvS.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Huh...
Ayup. Apparently after the dumpster fire that was Dark Knight Rises
Making more money than it's previous film and having an 87% rating on Rotten Tomatoes is apparently a "dumpster fire" now?

I mean I guess TDK was more critically beloved (94% critic & audience) but 87% critic and 90% audience are hardly the hallmarks of terribly received films. The box office is just a bonus.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Chimaera wrote:Affleck is the best Batman I've ever seen
Why do you say that? It's not that I think Affleck was bad in that movie, but that the movie itself was so terribly written it didn't give him anything TO DO. I can't see how the movie gave him enough to do for anyone to even make a qualified comparison with other Batman movies. I mean, yeah, he had the best CrossFit routine of any Batman we've seen, and he certainly scowled a lot, but other than that they didn't really give Affleck the opportunity to do anything but glower.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Chimaera wrote:Affleck is the best Batman I've ever seen
Why do you say that? It's not that I think Affleck was bad in that movie, but that the movie itself was so terribly written it didn't give him anything TO DO. I can't see how the movie gave him enough to do for anyone to even make a qualified comparison with other Batman movies. I mean, yeah, he had the best CrossFit routine of any Batman we've seen, and he certainly scowled a lot, but other than that they didn't really give Affleck the opportunity to do anything but glower.
I agree with this. Affleck certainly didn't do badly. But I don't remember any amazing acting, or anywhere amazing acting would be required.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I think his Bat-voice is better than any of the other live action attempts have been. Animated Batmen have great voices, though. Not sure what the deal is with the live action movies, though.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight