RAR! Nigh omnipotence!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: RAR! Nigh omnipotence!

Post by Solauren »

Idea:

Can I create a life sized r2-d2, loyal to me, and able to interface with modern computers, that contains the entirty of the Star wars tech database?
And a half-size version of Data for Star Trek?
etc.

or.

Genesis Device, working perfectly and already programmed
Iron Man armor
And go fly out to see, Ceres, and make my own monster space station/ship?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Borgholio wrote:
You could simply will someone mortally wounded to live (or more prevent them dying) no matter what state their body was in, but they'd die as soon as you stepped away.
But being alive doesn't violate the laws of physics any more than possessing an arm.
What I meant was that say someone was horrifically wounded- an IED went on a few feet from them and they were an absolute mess. You could simply keep them alive, despite being ripped in half and suffering catastrophic injuries. Keeping them alive with pure magic, but as soon as you moved off.. death. Of course there's no reason you wouldn't simply heal them but that's an example of a proximity based 'reality violation'.
Can I create a life sized r2-d2, loyal to me, and able to interface with modern computers, that contains the entirty of the Star wars tech database? And a half-size version of Data for Star Trek?
You can certainly create any physical object lik a droid/android. I'm confident AI wouldn't violate reality in and of itself but I don't know if that's true of SW/ST tech. Certainly some of it you could, but any of that you could simply will into existence anyway.

As for the Genesis device, again depends if what it does is scientifically possible. As with the Iron Man armour, you could certainly create a suit and while wearing it (because it's within the bubble) it would absolutely work. But unless there's a metal in reality that is only a few millimeters thick that can actually stop a tank round and not transfer any energy to the man wearing it the suit will be nowhere near as effective as on screen unless you're wearing it.

You can absolutely go flying about the cosmos. You could zip up to the moon and begin construction of a Luna base. You could create a domed rainforest with a little flying about, right down to the microbiology. Enhanced to produce more oxygen of course. Working with NASA could make colonising Mars trivially easy, since you could zip up there at a moments notice to resupply or repair anything required.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Chris Parr
Padawan Learner

Post by Chris Parr »

Just a small question—five feet from where exactly? Is it a five foot sphere from the center of my body? Because if it is, I'd just have to say "forget it" since I'm six feet tall and therefore my head and feet would be out of the bubble and unable to affect anything within. Sorry.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Chris Parr wrote:Just a small question—five feet from where exactly? Is it a five foot sphere from the center of my body? Because if it is, I'd just have to say "forget it" since I'm six feet tall and therefore my head and feet would be out of the bubble and unable to affect anything within. Sorry.
The sphere has a five foot radius. Not a five foot diameter. You'd be fine.

ETA: The op specifies five feet in every direction from your centre of gravity. Unless that's very low or very high, you're fine.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crazedwraith wrote:ETA: The op specifies five feet in every direction from your centre of gravity. Unless that's very low or very high, you're fine.
So... if you shapeshift, that would change your center of gravity, which would change the shape/size of the bubble.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

It would only change the location the bubble projects from, not the size of shape. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm construing a center of gravity as a point in space within your mass.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

What if, within the bubble, I created an sized indestructible device to increase the size of my bubble out to infinity?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Probably wouldn't work. Since the bubble extends five feet from your centre of gravity and not from the surface and that's only ever one point, you might wind up with a 5 foot radius indestructible sphere but no more.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Well, if I'm omnipotent I should be able to create a device that creates omnipotence in a larger area within my field. Then I simply make it so the device always stays centered within my 5ft. bubble and bam, complete omnipotence without range limits.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

The OP specifies you cannot duplicate the power in any way. You cannot give someone else the power, nor can you give it to a machine.

Essentially the power is supposed to be a very limited range, manual use power. You can do whatever you want but you have to go do it.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Jub wrote:Well, if I'm omnipotent I should be able to create a device that creates omnipotence in a larger area within my field. Then I simply make it so the device always stays centered within my 5ft. bubble and bam, complete omnipotence without range limits.
The range limit is a nonsense anyway. You're omnipotent, you can move infinitely fast.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Vendetta wrote:The range limit is a nonsense anyway. You're omnipotent, you can move infinitely fast.
It's more for continued effects, it would be nice to have my wackiest creations keep running long after I've left the area. Plus, while you could pause time, smear your bubble across all of it, unpause for the shortest unit length of time the universe recognizes, rinse repeat that would still take mental effort. Given that we explicitly cannot modify our minds to keep up, that would be tedious to say the least.
Kojiro wrote:The OP specifies you cannot duplicate the power in any way. You cannot give someone else the power, nor can you give it to a machine.
None of which is being done by my machine. The machine doesn't have the power, nor does it duplicate it, nor does it give it to any other being, it simply extends the area which the OP never stated couldn't be done. It breaks the spirit of the OP, but so does making a machine that perfectly downloads all knowledge into your head instantly and that's viable.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

For clarity then, the bubble's size and the omnipotent effect is hard capped at the immediate area of the bubble. Through no means may is be extended, stretched or otherwise increased. You're right, technically but we'll say that whatever is granting the power wants to limit you in very specific ways.

The limit on upgrading your mind is specifically to avoid operating at insane speeds, to make each action a deliberate, chosen action in real time. I don't like the machine that uploads to your brain but a machine/brain interface (of sufficient ability) may well exist one day. I suppose you could just say that the power doesn't allow you to circumvent it's conditions. You can create the interface but it doesn't work for you, even if scientifically sound, because the power prevents direct causal links between itself and mind upgrades or something.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

So the point is that we are stuck being ourselves rather than just wish a better version of ourselves?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Zixinus wrote:So the point is that we are stuck being ourselves rather than just wish a better version of ourselves?
I get the impression that if the scenario allowed us to change ourselves to that magnitude, the next of what "we" would do is so far removed from our current understanding as to be moot.

The scenario presented does allow for you to improve yourself, just in very human ways; small movements.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Zixinus wrote:So the point is that we are stuck being ourselves rather than just wish a better version of ourselves?
Well, the extent specified in the OP is that we can't modify our minds with the power, however our minds are also explicitly no longer reliant on meatbrains. Which means that the limitations of neurophysiology, brain plasticity, etc no longer apply. You can now potentially learn infinitely due to not running into those limits. You'll just have to do it the hard way.
The limit on upgrading your mind is specifically to avoid operating at insane speeds, to make each action a deliberate, chosen action in real time.
On the other hand our minds are no longer bound by the speed of electrochemical signalling, so you've inherently upgraded them in specifying the scenario.

Also, executing a planned pattern of events wouldn't require constant decisionmaking anyway, as again any physiological limits that might have prevented accurate implementation are also eliminated because the body is no longer necessary and can be disincarnated and reincarnated if necessary.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Kojiro wrote:I suppose you could just say that the power doesn't allow you to circumvent it's conditions. You can create the interface but it doesn't work for you, even if scientifically sound, because the power prevents direct causal links between itself and mind upgrades or something.
Given that the mass knowledge machine works, by inference, you could design a post infinite knowledge machine that has an imprint of your personality but with vastly upgraded speed, connect it to your meat brain, have it make choices for you, and use it to bypass the speed of a human mind limitation. Or, if that doesn't work, you could just slow your subjective time enough so that you achieve the same effect.
Death Zebra
Redshirt

Post by Death Zebra »

How about mind control? Can we issue commands, set objectives, or instill loyalty that applies even after the person in question leaves the sphere of omnipotence? If so we can just become secret hands off leader of the entire human race and bring whoever we want into the fold to get whatever expertise and enlightened counsel is needed especially with regards to the most ethical uses of said mind control.
"There was also a scene later in the film where some big guy was beating a chained up woman and then walked up some stairs. It turns out he was leaving the room and not, as I thought, to get to a high place from which to perform a flying elbow drop." - Death Zebra on Martyrs
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

You could certainly alter people's minds. The control would be absolute only within the bubble but so long as you live up to the expectation you set the person as loyal to it should hold. That is to say if you instill in people that you are the president, or you are an honourable, righteous person deserving of loyalty and trust (or some variation there of) and you behave in such a way they'll die for you. Instill that then act like an asshole and they will, in time, come to see you for what you are (or at least some will). That's assuming you want to keep their minds/personalities intact.

Alternately you can simply destroy/overwrite their minds into some sort of hard wired, insect like loyalty. Of course you'll be destroying some part of who they are, if not all of it, and it's tantamount to murder but you can create your own loyal drones.

That's my interpretation at least. The brain is a tricky piece of hardware though and someone with more expertise may be able to make an argument for something in between.
Dragon Clan Veritech
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I'm not terribly imaginative.