Become your character [RAR]

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Become your character [RAR]

Post by Zwinmar »

By an act an unnamed ROB you have been given the opportunity to gain the abilities, memories, experiences and equipment of one of your characters. This chance will enhance your current state in the modern world.

The rules are as follows:
1. It has to be an original character, meaning that your character on such games as Dragon Age, D&D, and Skyrim are valid, however, characters that were not created by you, i.e. Batman, Geralt, and Sam Fisher, are not valid as you are playing as them.
2. If you have ever DM'ed the character it is invalid, this includes opening the console for any reason other than being stuck.
3. They must have been played under anothers rule set, i.e. someone else has to DM, console or computer counts for this.
4. It may be either your longest running character or your second longest as per time played.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Become your character [RAR]

Post by Solauren »

What if the DMing of the character was part of a campaign with rotating DMs, but the rules are still applied fairly evenly and consistently?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

In terms of actually being useful to society, as I recall my Neverwinter Nights character (HotU/CEP) was a Druid10/Shifter13/Cleric17 wemic (lion-centaur) and could absolutely spam Heal/Mass Heal/Regenerate/Raise Dead/Resurrect, and also turn into a human, dragon or various other interesting things. I guess if I was feeling self-indulgent, my character from Saints Row 4 (like any character that completed that game) had a ridiculous list of superpowers including virtual invulnerability, and the ability to summon UFOs, fighter jets, henchmen and ludicrous weapons with his cell phone. I suppose that's not an awful idea; I could sell/donnate the infinite supply of summoned spacecraft, fusion reactors and laser guns to research labs and space exploration organisations.
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

Can I pick someone other than the three longest running characters (two of them are tied for second in terms of time), or not be subjected to their memories or experiences?
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Starglider wrote:In terms of actually being useful to society, as I recall my Neverwinter Nights character (HotU/CEP) was a Druid10/Shifter13/Cleric17 wemic (lion-centaur) and could absolutely spam Heal/Mass Heal/Regenerate/Raise Dead/Resurrect, and also turn into a human, dragon or various other interesting things. I guess if I was feeling self-indulgent, my character from Saints Row 4 (like any character that completed that game) had a ridiculous list of superpowers including virtual invulnerability, and the ability to summon UFOs, fighter jets, henchmen and ludicrous weapons with his cell phone. I suppose that's not an awful idea; I could sell/donnate the infinite supply of summoned spacecraft, fusion reactors and laser guns to research labs and space exploration organisations.
The summoning vehicles was only possible within the Zin simulation of Steelport though. The superpowers became available in the real world once you found that suit of power armour, so you still have something going for you.

Other than Saints Row IV, the only other characters I've RP'd are ones from several Warhammer RPG's. I somehow doubt a devout yet badass Cleric wielding duel flamethrowers will be all that useful.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Oh god YES!!!
I feel Like I have been waiting for this RAR all my life!! :mrgreen: :luv:
Ok, without even a seconds hesitation, I explode in a shower of sparkles and become...
BISHOTRON!!!

By way of the Anime Tabletop RPG OVA! I become the single longer "OC" creation I've ever had... Existing in various incarnations throughout a multitude of RPG's since the late 1990's!
As BISHOTRON I am able to invoke the "Laws of Anime" for purposes of my Super Super Powers! Fueled by the unlimited power of Fangirls (and fanboys) across all of time and space, once Transformed I can call upon a limitless supply of energy to Fight Crime! Defend the weak and innocent! And protect all things Bishonen and Sparkly!

Also, there is the bonus that, even when "Depowered" without the magic armor... I am still a 6foot, 6inch Japanese Hottie :lol:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Hmm, a choice between Yvonne, a receptionist and Unspeakable horror from the eldritch planes, or Stuffi, a mute ex-slave cabin boy on the ship of the campest pirate to have sailed the ocean...

I'm not sure either of those would be remotely good for the world or for me.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It's going to be weird. Because I'll probably become the longest playtime Shepard I have. Which is likely the Vanguard I played through ME1,2&3 with recently. Which means I gain lots of strength, military knowledge. the ability to biotically generate barriers, explode said barrier. Instantly charge across a battle field. Cause ammo fired from my gun to burn people.

But i gain all the knowledge and remember it all happening as a woman who boinks reptilian aliens. So that's going to be weird.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Would probably be my first RPG character ever, a human wizard from AD&D second edition's Birthright-setting whose group achieved the status of minor gods or the mage I played in the Age of Worms-adventure path. Killing Kyuss by breaking a Staff of Power and surviving it made the world safe again.
Both were played for about 3 to 4 years and would have the usual capabilities and gear of Level 21 wizards.
Never was in a campaign that lasted that many sessions where I played another class.

I reused the latter character and his halforc rogue henchman for my own amusement as NPCs in my recent Savage Tides-campaign, replacing stock NPCs. Was fun acting in character for them once more :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

My Space Marine Devestaor from my Death watch campaign. From the Ravenguard chapter so stealthily daka.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The summoning vehicles was only possible within the Zin simulation of Steelport though.
You could do the same thing in the third game, albeit with the animation of someone delivering the vehicle to you instead of it rezzing into existance, but considering you could get anything in under five seconds it was clearly magic. There were no UFOs but there were VTOL jets and hoverbikes powered by minature fusion reactors. As I recall in the second game you actually had to walk to a garage to retrieve vehicles and the technology was more or less realistic.

Does Frontier: First Encounters count as an RPG? I had a lot of fun with those games, and a big cargo starship with hyperdrive and fuel scoop would be great for kickstarting space colonisation.

I had several fun tabletop characters back in the classic White Wolf and 2nd Ed D&D eras, but their abilities and outlook would be rather less useful/practical. Although my fomori character from Freak Legion (ah, Black Dog Game Factory...) was pretty entertaining.
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

There's an Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage from Dragon Age PnP who is incredibly strong; knows nearly every buff spell in the game; healing magic; can use blood magic to heal, interrogate, or control people; hexes; and really likes to set opponents on fire, explode them, reanimate them, and explode them again in a poisonous cloud. Also swings an 80 lb military fork one handed (with a staff tucked in between the blades) at incredible speed. But, I don't want the memories and experiences that come with that.

A Chaos Sorcerer who knows a wide variety of psyker powers from multiple trees. Also thanks to Cato Sicarius (that stupid jackass) now hungers only for warp energy. Can only speak to psykers, but all they hear is the warp screaming with pain and hunger.

A Tech-Priest who is really good at medicine, talking to machines, and can determine the biology of unknown species from unwilling subjects. Replaced as much flesh as possible in the game with machines. Is also, somehow, the most sociable and charismatic member of the team--guess that just comes form rolling a natural 45 for Fellowship. But, is no longer allowed on Forge Worlds or around sensitive equipment in the presence of other tech-priests.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

That would place me as Banirad Falksen, a 7th level human cleric who's currently working with a team of pirates. His build abuses the hell out of DMM, Knowledge Devotion, and other busted things. He's a chaotic neutral bisexual hedonist with a serious alcohol problem who works for Freya and knows that eventually, he's going to transform himself into an undead to keep serving her forever. Yet he still usually takes a day or two out of his week to do some good and he studies other religions that he encounters in his travels.

The only other Candidate would be a CP2020 runner who was pretty damned good at his job. If his computer skills carry over to RL, his selfish nature and willingness to step over other people for money would be bad news.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

if the rotating DM thing is not an issue, then my choices, in order of favourtism are

D&D (any edition, including Pathfinder)
#1 - Carrs. Started off as a 1st edition Cleric/Magic-User/Psionists. He reached maximum levels, and then some, as an Elf. (House Rules)
He got ported over to the campaign my wife and I rotate on and converted according to the 3.0 Conversion guide.
End result is a Wizard/Sorcerer/Psion (we agreed to change him from Cleric, as his wife was a Cleric, and didn't make sense) with a house rule feat that let's his prestige classes advance all of them. His caster level in each is 39.

#2 - Character from a RIFTS campaign that was based heavily on Samus Arum from Metroid fame. All powers as of Super Metroid duplicated, plus a shitload of tech from RIFTS and various other Palladium supplements, including captured Mechanoid stuff. End result was a character that could go toe to toe with a squadron of Glitterboys and win.

#3 - Artie Ford. Part of the Ford Family. Investigator from a Call of Cthulhu campaign. Very wealthy.

Otherwise, it's pretty much a choice of epic level D&D characters. Including a Werewolf Lord Barbarian 30, with 10 Mythic Ranks. I'd be a werewolf plague on this planet so damn fast.....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

My most /played character of all time was my raiding Blood Elf Rogue, who was wielding Warglaives of Azzinoth and had killed pretty much everything in existence at one point or another.

That's not really aligned with my current career path.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Well my current male characters I play at all are my STO science officer (human thank god), a Warcraft orc warlock and a Pandaren monk, all the rest are female more or less. while a 25th century starfleet medical officer might be able to blend in to modern earth fairly easily, a green skinned 7th monster or antromorphic panda would more issues with that :wink:
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Didn't we do this already? Anyway, longest played characters.

Erudite Enchanter from EQ, I should probably not be trusted with mind control powers. Other than that, mind, speed, and strength buffs would be cool. Also the ability to change forms of myself and others might be fun.

Female Dark Elf Shadow Knight, also EQ. Raid gear makes me insanely tough and enhances my ability to drain the life of people that annoy me. I get a pet skeleton too!

I'm not sure how either of these would enhance my place in the world... I guess I could melt down all the platinum and gold and sell it for a bunch of cash.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

In 'Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker', I'm a female human (for aesthetic reasons, as described here), Level 5 Ranger, Level [everything else] Barbarian, with my grandfather's spirit embodying my magic sword. I'm an experienced mercenary, but I'm also ruler to the City of Cyan, with SOME experience making political deals (I had to for the necessary support to ascend to the throne).

The experience may not be applicable to the real world (the political deals I made were relatively simple, and no one uses firearms in 'Neverwinter Nights'), but the ability to cast healing spells and communicate with animals will be useful in the real world.

Having a female body, however... will take some getting used to.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

As per Op you don't become the character in body You just get "The abilities, memories, experiences and equipment of one of your characters."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I have so many hours in so many characters over the year, it's honestly hard to determine which I've played more. WoW would probably win out.

I'd have to do a /played on my Death Knight vs Paladin. Either way, the Paladin skills and abilities would much more useful for everyday life. Cure Diseases, I could make a mint as an ACTUAL faith healer. And with the equipment and abilities.... well, Protection Paladins already shrug off gunshots and artillery fire. So, anyone trying to coerce me into working for them would have a rough go at it.

Where does "Death Gate" take me? Home? If so, my DK would be a master-criminal, but I can't think that's anything I care to deal with.

My Nord Warrior would be a wash. Yea, cool abilities and equipment, but she was always weak on the magic side. Best case, I now have a few tools to mind screw people to do what I want, but I'm just not that kind of guy.

My Shadowrun Combat mage also had numerous hours put into him. I played him for over 4 years off and on (and manage to survive). Level 3 Initiate, multiple mid-to-high force spells ranging from Combat (duh) to manipulation to healing. College educated in the 21st century. And even spells I don't have, I had a Force 5 library, so researching spells would be easy to cover any gaps.

The amount of just recon I could do would be insane. With access to astral space and watcher spirits (and no one else having access to any of it), I could spy on literally anyone at nearly any time. Anchored bullet/physical barriers would have none of the drawbacks here on real-earth, so I could leave them up all the time with no consequences. Researching the rest of the health spells means my family and I live disease free. They wouldn't even have to know I was diagnosing/healing any ailments they have. Although, being forced to lay hands on them for 10 minutes..... might raise questions.

The "alarm" system my house would have would be insane. Same for any family vehicle. I could easily anchor protection spells to them, not that my family drives bad, but this IS Houston after all.

Definitely would take the Combat Mage. His equipment and skill-set is just too general to pass on and Shadowrun magic is very low-key: no fancy lights, gestures, vocalizations, etc. However, it's hard to gauge if I've played him as long as I've idled my DK in Ironforge.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

A Question to Zwimmer...

How far does our access to our chapters powers go?
In my RPG, my character had access to "Mecha Bishotron" a 65foot tall Mecha that was kept in a small pocket dimension to be summoned when needed. I don't suppose I'd get access to that?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

To the question of rotating DM's; if you ever NPC'ed the character while you were the DM then they do not qualify, if you DM'ed for the party but didn't play the character while doing so, then they would qualify.

If it was your characters gear you would get access to it. For a pnp game like Stargate it would be your gear requisitions.
As for your Mech, I don't see why you wouldn't have access.

You could see this as going two ways:
The first is as stated where you get the characters gear, memories, et. al. Or, at your discretion you would also get their body, though there is some overlap, i.e. you got their abilities so if they saw in the dark so would you. Though I would think there is far more danger of your psyche being absorbed by theirs if you had their body.

My longest running character is easily my Jedi Master, having played him since '98, he is a grandmaster healer, artificer amongst other lesser skills. His ship is a deep space exploration ship with a fully cognizant AI, practically her own entity more in line with Andromeda Ascendant than anything else.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Huh.

My oldest character would be one Sier Tan, from version 1 Dungeons and Dragons, the old pencil-paper-dice game, half-elf magic-user/fighter with a propensity for killing giants. Lots of money, modest keep with horse breeding facilities. Also a variety of pointy and pokey objects for killing enemies. I think I last played her in 1982, but she dates back to 1978. Anyone have any older than that?

Oldest two from a modern MMORPG would be one Nightiris, currently a level 93 undead rogue from WoW, and second oldest Redwarmwind, a level 100 Tauran shaman from WoW. Red has a shitload of money and lots of toys, flying mounts, and various sorts of stuff. Throwing lightning bolts would be fun, as would walking on water. Best of all is the ability both of 'em have to come back from death.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Zwinmar wrote:T
If it was your characters gear you would get access to it. For a pnp game like Stargate it would be your gear requisitions.
As for your Mech, I don't see why you wouldn't have access.
oh yeeaaahhhhh.....
A 65ft tall Vishonen Mecha that usable to Invoke the Laws of Anime, that I can summon forth fro virtually anywhere on the planet...
Seriously this has to be the most awesomely fun RAR for me in ages :lol:
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Second edition AD&D, dual-class fighter(archer)-mage, Fletcher of Hartridge. If the problem couldn't be solved with reason, it would be solved with force of arms augmented by magic. The DM's "threat escalation" led to such ridiculous solutions as "boulder-to-pebble arrows": tiny pebbles (reduced from boulders) in a warded pouch that dispels the magic shrinking them (they'd to-hit with the same mods, and do the spell's other form's damage each), liberal application of Firetrap arrows, and related over-the-top damage-dealing. Couldn't really do too much about the better-and-better armor class of the baddies (after crafting his own magic bows), but their hit points meant less and less....

Had a promising vinyard that always seemed to produce well, even in bad years (metamorphose liquids,) and the second (not DM-controlled) flying ship.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.