[rar] civilsations vs a shower of shit

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

[rar] civilsations vs a shower of shit

Post by madd0ct0r »

Passing through between her Venus hothouse and the Europa waterfeature, Gaia notices the mess we're making on Earth and decides to prove a point.

That night, a large portal appears in space above earth. It's approximately two meters in diameter, and when observed though a telescope looks like the viewer's own face, mouth open in a perpetual stream of vomit. When observed indirectly, it will appear as a crude, blurred face.
Shit, taken as an average of human faeces composition from around the globe, spews forth from this portal at a rate of 1m3 per second.

The portal is in a polar orbit at a higher altitude then typical. The stream of shit provides the additional momentum needed to keep the portal at that level. It completes an orbit every 120 minutes. The country's don't know this at that start, but should the portal be disrupted or damaged, it will close. It will reopen again 24 hours later.

How to people adapt to this? what happens?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: [rar] civilsations vs a shower of shit

Post by LadyTevar »

One Archinist is enough. :banghead:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Is that a polite request to knock it off?
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Aw.... did someone have a bad day?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Broomstick wrote:Aw.... did someone have a bad day?
I'd gamble he'd suffered Archinist Overload.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

A little, but i think the rar has a few cool implications. Does the shit burn up or freeze in reentry? Is it scattered so fine to be neutralised or is disease a real issue? Does this solve our potassium soil fertility problems or is the shit better used for methane generation? Will umbrellas be common or hats come back into fashion? So many questions
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

madd0ct0r wrote:Passing through between her Venus hothouse and the Europa waterfeature, Gaia notices the mess we're making on Earth and decides to prove a point.
Someone didn't like their free Geo-Cruiser. :cry:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

madd0ct0r wrote:Is that a polite request to knock it off?
It can be taken that way, yes.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

madd0ct0r wrote:what happens?
Shit happens, obviously.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

So, let me practice my poor math skills here... 1m3 per second = 3,600m3 per hour, or 86,400m3 per day... which is 86.4 km3 per day? 31,536km3 per year? That's a lot of shit we're dealing with here, especially as it will already be starting in orbit.

How much of that would plummet to the ground as opposed to remaining in orbit or dispersing throughout the atmosphere? Could we have a mass-extinction event as all that shit literally blots out the sun?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Raw Shark wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:what happens?
Shit happens, obviously.
That's a bad Shark! No necroposting!
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Chimaera wrote:That's a bad Shark! No necroposting!
Crap, I missed the date. Sorry about that shit. ;)

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Hmm. I smell bullshit :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Whoops I missed that too. Must have been blinded by all the shit raining everywhere :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Shit's about to hit the fan when the mods see this...

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[deleted, sorry]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Chimaera wrote:Shit's about to hit the fan when the mods see this...
I guess we'll be up shit's creek without a paddle...
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Welp, I never like to shit where I eat anyway.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Cut this shit out!

:angelic: