U.S. Marines VS mythical beings

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: U.S. Marines VS mythical beings

Post by Lord Revan »

Swindle1984 wrote:Are obvious 12 year olds allowed to post on this forum?
I think 12 is the age limit, I'm not sure it's been ages since that's been at all relevant to me so I can't say for sure.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Swindle1984 wrote:Are obvious 12 year olds allowed to post on this forum?
Seriously? If you don't like the scenario, just don't reply. If you want to disassemble a post, do so with actual substance.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The scenario is a bizarre ramble of nonsense, and I for one object to how evasive Archinist got when we tried to figure out why they were rambling bizarrely. I have repeatedly tried to offer constructive criticism to Archinist and all I get for my effort is to be ignored or evaded.

I'd suggest checking Archinist against some of the crazier past trolls. This one's reminding me of avianmosquito, only with less supersoldier wank and (so far) obscenity, and more Keystone Kops obsession.
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Archinist, you didn't address anything I said, you just tried to evade the questions and concerns I raised.

Please stop trying to pretend. At this point there are three options:
1) You are very young (or have led a sheltered life), and as a result you have little practical experience of how people behave.
2) You are very, very foolish, or mentally ill, or both.
3) You are trolling us, and spending a lot more of your time than necessary to do it.

So, which is it?
At this point, I'm leaning toward #3.
Honestly, I'm thinking it's mostly #2 with a side order of #3; really weird trolls almost HAVE to be stupid enough to think what they're doing is fun. It's too hard for sane, sensible people to duplicate the stupidity.

I was prepared to believe #1 if they'd just admitted it instead of trying to keep up the pretense that everything was fine and we should just relax while they go on sounding like a babbling druggie. But at this point, if they're twelve and acting like this, they're going to grow up into a stupid person. So while I don't blame the child for their youth, I do blame them for their gross stupidity and unwillingness to listen.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Simon_Jester wrote:The scenario is a bizarre ramble of nonsense, and I for one object to how evasive Archinist got when we tried to figure out why they were rambling bizarrely. I have repeatedly tried to offer constructive criticism to Archinist and all I get for my effort is to be ignored or evaded.

I'd suggest checking Archinist against some of the crazier past trolls. This one's reminding me of avianmosquito, only with less supersoldier wank and (so far) obscenity, and more Keystone Kops obsession.
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Archinist, you didn't address anything I said, you just tried to evade the questions and concerns I raised.

Please stop trying to pretend. At this point there are three options:
1) You are very young (or have led a sheltered life), and as a result you have little practical experience of how people behave.
2) You are very, very foolish, or mentally ill, or both.
3) You are trolling us, and spending a lot more of your time than necessary to do it.

So, which is it?
At this point, I'm leaning toward #3.
Honestly, I'm thinking it's mostly #2 with a side order of #3; really weird trolls almost HAVE to be stupid enough to think what they're doing is fun. It's too hard for sane, sensible people to duplicate the stupidity.

I was prepared to believe #1 if they'd just admitted it instead of trying to keep up the pretense that everything was fine and we should just relax while they go on sounding like a babbling druggie. But at this point, if they're twelve and acting like this, they're going to grow up into a stupid person. So while I don't blame the child for their youth, I do blame them for their gross stupidity and unwillingness to listen.
Most 12 year olds don't listen to people, so that is reasonably normal.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

One option is that you're a real twelve year old. In which case you are way too arrogant. And I say this as someone who has worked with twelve year olds. There are lots of twelve year olds year olds who grow up healthy. They are the ones who ask questions and try to learn. They don't just randomly dump nonsense all over the place and then expect everyone else to like it.

The other option is that you're a fake twelve year old, which is just sick and disturbed.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Archinist wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Archinist wrote:-snip-
Calm down, it's just a FANTASY. It's not supposed to represent the actions of any real life organizations in any way. The town is completely fictional, the marine unit is fictional, and the characters are all fantasy.

HOWEVER! The characters in the vs debate use their IRL rulesets, meaning that the marines are sentient creatures and so are the beasts.

Oh, and as for the stove, well either a. he hasn't hooked it up yet, or b. it ran out of gas when the man had it in all night in his house, or c. the police thought it too dangerous to have a gas stove on for heating OR didn't notice it. (the man was careless)

So, yeah, you're mainly supposed to ignore the story. There is also a hidden clue as to the real identity of the demons and why they (in-story) they only attack when people are inside the cabin, but I doubt anyone could ever notice.
Blah, blah, blah, it's fantasy, it's fantasy, it's fantasy, it's an excuse for things not making sense and a shitty story no one cares about, because it's shit, and makes no sense. Gotcha.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Simon_Jester wrote:One option is that you're a real twelve year old. In which case you are way too arrogant. And I say this as someone who has worked with twelve year olds. There are lots of twelve year olds year olds who grow up healthy. They are the ones who ask questions and try to learn. They don't just randomly dump nonsense all over the place and then expect everyone else to like it.

The other option is that you're a fake twelve year old, which is just sick and disturbed.
I never said what age I am, I was merely stating that IMO most twelve year olds will usually be a bit arrogant. Also it's not "sick and disturbed" to lie about your age unless you take everything way, way out of context.

I'm not expecting everyone or even anyone to like the flavour stories I write. They're simply there just for flavour. I honestly don't know why all you people are taking it so seriously.
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Archinist wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Calm down, it's just a FANTASY. It's not supposed to represent the actions of any real life organizations in any way. The town is completely fictional, the marine unit is fictional, and the characters are all fantasy.

HOWEVER! The characters in the vs debate use their IRL rulesets, meaning that the marines are sentient creatures and so are the beasts.

Oh, and as for the stove, well either a. he hasn't hooked it up yet, or b. it ran out of gas when the man had it in all night in his house, or c. the police thought it too dangerous to have a gas stove on for heating OR didn't notice it. (the man was careless)

So, yeah, you're mainly supposed to ignore the story. There is also a hidden clue as to the real identity of the demons and why they (in-story) they only attack when people are inside the cabin, but I doubt anyone could ever notice.
Blah, blah, blah, it's fantasy, it's fantasy, it's fantasy, it's an excuse for things not making sense and a shitty story no one cares about, because it's shit, and makes no sense. Gotcha.
That's right. The story is only there for flavour. You seemed to care a little about it, seeing as you criticized multiple bits of the story.

The vs debate itself is supposed to be the real meat, while the story is the salt and pepper.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

One last time, Archinist. The story is the sales pitch, the vs. is the product.

If no one's buying the sales pitch, because you made a bad sales pitch, no one's going to buy your product.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Archinist wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:One option is that you're a real twelve year old. In which case you are way too arrogant. And I say this as someone who has worked with twelve year olds. There are lots of twelve year olds year olds who grow up healthy. They are the ones who ask questions and try to learn. They don't just randomly dump nonsense all over the place and then expect everyone else to like it.

I never said what age I am, I was merely stating that IMO most twelve year olds will usually be a bit arrogant. Also it's not "sick and disturbed" to lie about your age unless you take everything way, way out of context.
Again, you're either a child on a forum with an age limit, and who is more arrogant than normal and much more arrogant than is good for them...

Or you are a person of greater physical age, who is acting as though they were thirteen. Since you're clearly capable of writing at an adult level of grammar and word usage, this indicates a total disconnect with reality or severe immaturity, which are signs of illness and disturbance.

Your call. Are you young and immature, or old and immature?
I'm not expecting everyone or even anyone to like the flavour stories I write. They're simply there just for flavour. I honestly don't know why all you people are taking it so seriously.
Because if you're going to put something of yourself out there in the public view, you should take some pride in what you do, and have some self-respect, and not babble like an idiot. Other people who actually try to read the silly nonsensical gibberish you write are wasting time from their lives that they can never get back.

Unless of course that is the entire point of what you're doing (which seems likely). If so, and if you are intentionally wasting people's time, then you can go play hopscotch in a minefield.
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:Blah, blah, blah, it's fantasy, it's fantasy, it's fantasy, it's an excuse for things not making sense and a shitty story no one cares about, because it's shit, and makes no sense. Gotcha.
That's right. The story is only there for flavour. You seemed to care a little about it, seeing as you criticized multiple bits of the story.

The vs debate itself is supposed to be the real meat, while the story is the salt and pepper.
Thing is, instead of salt and pepper you used a pile of burning dog poop. When you take meat that might otherwise be flavorful and good, and cover it in burning dog poop, people get upset. You can't say "lol just scrape off the dog poop." That's not how it works.

Real cooks think intelligently about which seasoning goes with which food. And about which seasoning goes with NO food and should never be used in the context of any food for any reason.

Real writers and fans and just people who talk to each other think intelligently about which ideas go with which situations.

And all this random nonsense about people behaving totally stupidly and unrealistically goes with NO situation and should never be used in the context of any situation for any reason.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

I think I will just leave it here, since the concept of a just-for-fun, silly little flavouring story on an already extremely unlikely and unrealistic scenario doesn't seem to work here at all, not even in the 'Fantasy' board.

In the future I will try to refrain from making very long flavouring stories.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Archinist wrote:I think I will just leave it here, since the concept of a just-for-fun, silly little flavouring story on an already extremely unlikely and unrealistic scenario doesn't seem to work here at all, not even in the 'Fantasy' board.

In the future I will try to refrain from making very long flavouring stories.
Don't throw a tantrum. Look, you are misunderstanding the reason people are criticizing you, here.

NOBODY is criticizing you for coming up with just-for-fun, silly little stories for these scenarios. Look through these forums: there are plenty of examples of silly RARs that are given a decent amount of thorough backstory. That in and of itself is NOT a problem.

The problem is ... well, let's quote an earlier post of yours (bolding added by me):
The town is completely fictional, the marine unit is fictional, and the characters are all fantasy.

The problem is that this (the bolded segment) is a LIE. The rules you set for your scenarios, and the characteristics you forcibly apply to all of its participants, are so far removed from "IRL rulesets" (or basic logical consistency, either internal or external) that it takes all of the fun out of participating in a fun vs. scenario. That's what you don't seem to understand: you keep acting like your background is just "fluff" for a normal versus scenario, but you keep adding all of these increasingly specific and contradictory traits or constraints on the scenario that it literally makes it impossible for anyone to talk about the scenario itself! How are we supposed to ignore the story and just talk about U.S. Marines vs a bunch of mythical beings when you keep changing the rules of what the Marines have or don't have access to (you've already changed your mind multiple times on the reason the Marine helicopter ran out of fuel ... first it was just by fiat, then it was because the ground crew was lazy, then it was because the Marines were there in secret, then because the government was just in a hurry to get them there)? How are we supposed to discuss the scenario when it is impossible for us to even know what the scenario is?

If you want to write a long detailed backstory that's fun and silly, go ahead and do so! But this doesn't mean you have to make the story so convoluted that it becomes impossible to understand what the story even is to begin with. Like in your last scenario, with the monster that attacks New York, it was literally impossible to figure out what your story was, because within the space of about three paragraphs you kept changing your mind what the story was! First it was a dinosaur, then it was a magical floating centipede thing, and then, etc. etc. etc. If you want to write a story for a scenario, go for it, BUT STICK TO THE SAME STORY. Don't keep CHANGING the story, even within the same post.

All of your posts read like streams of consciousness that you haven't taken the time to re-read and edit to make them more coherent. And if you are too lazy to try and make your scenarios coherent, why is it on us to take the time to parse the scenario enough for us to make a reasonable response? The onus is on you as the story-teller to write it in a way that makes sense.