Wonder Woman

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crown
NARF

Wonder Woman

Post by Crown »

IT'S HERE! COMIC-CON TRAILER;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGoQhFb4NM

I'm DONE. I'm fucking DONE! Give this to me now! :) :D
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: Wonder Woman

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I'm just curious if she was ever mentioned in history books in the DCEU.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm going to enjoy this movie. The inclusion of a proper Etta Candy is cool. Also, it's nice to see a full range of colors in a DC movie.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Seriously? It's 2016 and they have WW in a micro-mini-nano skirt?

:::grump:::
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Broomstick wrote:Seriously? It's 2016 and they have WW in a micro-mini-nano skirt?

While I enjoy a good "but it's current year" argument as much as the next internet geek, I would like to remind you 2004 called and Brad Pitt's micro-mini-nano skirt wasn't much longer.

:P
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Crown wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Seriously? It's 2016 and they have WW in a micro-mini-nano skirt?

While I enjoy a good "but it's current year" argument as much as the next internet geek, I would like to remind you 2004 called and Brad Pitt's micro-mini-nano skirt wasn't much longer.
Honestly, didn't watch that one.

Hey, I married a guy in a kilt, but fan service aside, there's a sort of minimum length for those sorts of things. Sure, there are cultures were everyone runs around with genitalia exposed, and old Scots types used to run into battle naked, but the Greco-Roman types were actually into protective armor that, you know, provided actual protection to bits of the anatomy.

Daisy Dukes would actually be a lot more practical for a fighting woman. Or man.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

WW being parked (at least partially) in WW1 is (I think) a new approach, Barry looks nothing like Barry, both his suit and Vic's body don't look so hot,my hood ears are too short once more, I have my usual problem with Vic being a Leaguer (to me he is and always will be a Titan no matter what DC says) and I was about to comment there's a certain Kryptonian missing from the roster...except that's as it should be, what him being dead for the time being :)
I tend to forget that.
As for Diana's outfit, while it is indeed not all that useful as armour goes, it's still a lot better than the comics, were she usually wore boots and a multicolour bathing suit.
And 'I'm real when it's useful' was SUCH a Batman thing to say.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Wonder Woman looks and sounds a lot better at this point, Justice League seems to be trying too hard to be "fun". Hope they do show a bit of why he's gathering a team and show some bad guys next trailer round.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Crazedwraith wrote:I was talking JL before to clarify. But Wonder Woman looks okay, Not much story in that trailer but lots of asskicking. It's good to see they're keeping that up from her showing in BvS.

Maybe I'm over reading it but is anyone getting a weird MCU wannabe vibe from this? I mean is MoS/BvS are a rough equivilent of Iron Man. This is their Cap film. Taking place mainly in a historical setting. Hero in a patriotic costume and quite of bit of emphasis on her shield in the trailer there. Yes, I know that's a ridiculously tenuous connection to make but still...
For all my friends were loving both trailers my friends were calling them Wonder Woman: The First Avenger and Batman: Agent of SHIELD.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Agreed.

I get they want to have the classic look, but if it were up to me, I'd be inclined to give her either historically accurate attire for a Greek warrior (with maybe some artistic licence taken), or fucking pants.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Justice League stuff split to it's own thread

Something that was pointed out in Facebook: Whomever we see washed up on the beach (assuming Steve Trevor at this point) is wearing a Prussian Medal : The Order of the Pour le Merite. Later, we see him at an airfield, with a Fokker 3 behind him. He is most definitely wearing the uniform of a Prussian airman.

HOWEVER: we see him strafing the airfield later in the clip, and at the end he's got a Very British secretary. So, are we looking at an American spy helping MI6?

Also, in the train station clip, those are Ottoman troops milling around.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Pine is probably a US spy of some sort. Having a hero on the side of the Central Powers might be a bit much for an American audience. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Though if there's any war (pre-Vietnam, anyway) where neither side is generally felt to have been "the good guys", its WW1.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

LadyTevar wrote:Later, we see him at an airfield, with a Fokker 3 behind him.
It's a Fokker Eindecker E.III to be precise, which (assuming at least a bit of historical accuracy) pins it down to the middle years of WW1.
LadyTevar wrote:Also, in the train station clip, those are Ottoman troops milling around.
With British sailors in the foreground, and the station itself is very English, could be any time between 1900-1930 if you stretch it a bit.

Yes, something a bit skewed here; I never did read all that many DC comics, did their WW1 follow more or less the same course as our real one?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I'm actually kind excited for this. It has a kind of Captain America crossed with Thor feel.

I do have one minor worry- isn't WW only a step down from Superman? That is to say do any of those guys she's carving up really pose anything like a threat to her? Great as the imagery of her standing there, shield high deflecting bullets is, couldn't she just sorta, stand there?
Dragon Clan Veritech
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Kojiro wrote:I'm actually kind excited for this. It has a kind of Captain America crossed with Thor feel.

I do have one minor worry- isn't WW only a step down from Superman? That is to say do any of those guys she's carving up really pose anything like a threat to her? Great as the imagery of her standing there, shield high deflecting bullets is, couldn't she just sorta, stand there?
That and its going to be hard to sympathize with her butchering a whole bunch of enemy soldiers who can't possibly hurt her.

Although... maybe she gets a power-up during the film?

Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Well we do see her in the clip literally snap a rifle in half, so she's already vastly beyond human standards, though that's hardly an upper limit for her I expect. Certainly not for BvS WW who could hold Doomsday in check.

Either way, looks bad ass and I'm totally seeing it.
Dragon Clan Veritech
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

As a frequent critic of Snyder's directing, I'm looking forward to both Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman as a first look at what a Snyder-less DCCU can do.

Plus Wonder Woman is finally getting a fucking movie, and Suicide Squad has more Batman plus Harley. :D

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Kojiro wrote:I do have one minor worry- isn't WW only a step down from Superman? That is to say do any of those guys she's carving up really pose anything like a threat to her? Great as the imagery of her standing there, shield high deflecting bullets is, couldn't she just sorta, stand there?
She's not bullet-proof. At least not in any continuity I'm aware of.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Broomstick wrote:
Kojiro wrote:I do have one minor worry- isn't WW only a step down from Superman? That is to say do any of those guys she's carving up really pose anything like a threat to her? Great as the imagery of her standing there, shield high deflecting bullets is, couldn't she just sorta, stand there?
She's not bullet-proof. At least not in any continuity I'm aware of.
She has to be in the movie continuity - she was taking punches from Trollsday throughout the fight and all it did was tick her off. Bullets would be a flea bite compared to that.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This is actually a common issue. Wonder Woman's durability is explicitly described as granting her tremendous resistance to blunt trauma, but reduced resistance to edged weapons, pointy things, and high-speed things.

So yes, she manages to be capable of taking a punch from Superman but needing to parry bullets, even though quite honestly Superman's fists can smash a tank while bullets don't even make a dent. The only explanation that really exists is that Wonder Woman's powers are magical and she is more resistant/vulnerable to certain threats than mere 'physics' would predict or even allow.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

SpottedKitty wrote:Yes, something a bit skewed here; I never did read all that many DC comics, did their WW1 follow more or less the same course as our real one?
As far as I'm aware DC WW1 is about the same as the real world one, although some of their earliest hero's would have fought in it it was almost always in their pre-hero days.

Although interestingly the only major WW1 DC character I can think of is Enemy Ace a German pilot. In modern stories he's normally shown as very moral and rather conflicted about the conflict. Generally it plays on the idea of the WW1 air war being a more noble pursuit compared to the butchery of the ground war. It would be interesting if he were to cameo in the movie.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Bedlam wrote:Although interestingly the only major WW1 DC character I can think of is Enemy Ace a German pilot. In modern stories he's normally shown as very moral and rather conflicted about the conflict. Generally it plays on the idea of the WW1 air war being a more noble pursuit compared to the butchery of the ground war. It would be interesting if he were to cameo in the movie.
Ah, I recognise that name, although I couldn't remember if he was WW1 or WW2.

Heh, wouldn't it be a fun brain-melter if he is there, because the Steve Trevor and Enemy Ace characters have been mixed-and-(mis)matched into the same person...? :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Batman wrote:WW being parked (at least partially) in WW1 is (I think) a new approach, Barry looks nothing like Barry, both his suit and Vic's body don't look so hot,my hood ears are too short once more
I prefer your ears short, actually. Like the way Jim Lee draws you. In fact, a lot of artists seem to draw you that way.