Wonder Woman

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Wonder Woman

Post by Galvatron »

Crown wrote:
Kojiro wrote:Well I don't know what it'll turn out to be but after seeing her in BvS it would be downright confusing to have her getting hurt by bullets.
It could be they still hurt to some degree or that as a trained warrior she's just doing the sensible thing and minimising the risk to herself (even Clark dodged at A-10 cannon fire in MoS).
WW might be closer to the Wolverine or even Hulk end of the invulnerability spectrum. While Superman can shrug off pretty much anything short of a nuke, WW might actually get hurt or temporarily injured if cut or shot. Likewise, she probably feels the pain of blunt force trauma, but it doesn't actually harm her unless it's extremely powerful.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

It's worth nothing when Doomsday does his big energy nova, our three heroes have different responses. Batman hide because he knows he'll be annihilated by the blast. It does after all smash concrete and destroy buildings (just not the little bit he hid under :P). But both Supes and WW stand and take it. Both WW's shield and Supe's arms show signs of energy absorption- that is they have glowing portions, edges, as if they've heated up. They rapidly cool back to normal though in a few seconds. WWs legs (and leg armour) display no such signs. She takes that nova as well as if not better than Suerpman.

But we never see her injured. Her legs display no ill effects from being exposed to the nova, nor does she seem remotely upset by being slammed 50 meters through debris and into a large concrete block or any other hit from Doomsday. She's far closer to Hulk than Wolverine.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I don't like the Hulk/Logan comparison. Hulk is invulnerable/hurting him requires so much damage applied the collateral probably means you really don't want to do it with people around. For miles. Possibly on the planet.
Logan? You can drop him fairly easily (compared to the likes of Thor or the green guy at any rate). A 30mm head-hit should do him in just fine.
The problem is he'll be back an hour later to cut your tonkers off.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Batman wrote:I don't like the Hulk/Logan comparison. Hulk is invulnerable/hurting him requires so much damage applied the collateral probably means you really don't want to do it with people around. For miles. Possibly on the planet.
Logan? You can drop him fairly easily (compared to the likes of Thor or the green guy at any rate). A 30mm head-hit should do him in just fine.
The problem is he'll be back an hour later to cut your tonkers off.
I was thinking just that. Logan's got a hard skeleton, but the rest of him is fairly squishy. His gimmick is regeneration, not toughness-- Deadpool is basically him with brain damage and no adamantium, and Deadpool isn't noted for being particularly difficult to defeat (by physical damage anyway, in the long run his screwiness and healing abilities do combine to make him a bit of a tough nut, but you can totally blow him to bits and walk away... you'll just have to keep your eyes open after a while). Hulk on the other hand is just hard all around, and I'd say WW falls into that weight class with ease.

I'd say the Sentry, but he's more on Superman's level.

WW is pretty easily comparable to Thor, actually. Demigod, supernatural-ish "tech-magic" toys, very tough/strong, likes cosplay...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'd say if we're going for Marvel comparisons, WW seems to be a three for one as far as the films are concerned:

She covers Black Widow's token female plus cynic with a tragic past, Thor's ancient demigod hero with magic powers/weapons and durability (and while she hasn't been shown flying, her jumping almost counts in Batman v Superman), and Cap's person from another time who had (and presumably lost) a love interest during a World War. Plus the shield. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Since Steve Trevor is most likely long dead, I wonder if Catwoman will show up or if we'll get the Batman/Wonder Woman ship that the DCAU teased us all with.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I thought that between Batman v Superman and the trailer for Justice League, it looks very much like they're heading toward Batman/Wonder Woman.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I thought that between Batman v Superman and the trailer for Justice League, it looks very much like they're heading toward Batman/Wonder Woman.
Well, future-Flash's warning indicates that Lois might be doomed. If so, that'll put Superman back on the market if they can keep him from going all Injustice-y on the world.

It'll be interesting if they go the Kingdom Come route too.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Kojiro wrote:It's worth nothing when Doomsday does his big energy nova, our three heroes have different responses. Batman hide because he knows he'll be annihilated by the blast. It does after all smash concrete and destroy buildings (just not the little bit he hid under :P). But both Supes and WW stand and take it. Both WW's shield and Supe's arms show signs of energy absorption- that is they have glowing portions, edges, as if they've heated up. They rapidly cool back to normal though in a few seconds. WWs legs (and leg armour) display no such signs. She takes that nova as well as if not better than Suerpman.

But we never see her injured. Her legs display no ill effects from being exposed to the nova, nor does she seem remotely upset by being slammed 50 meters through debris and into a large concrete block or any other hit from Doomsday. She's far closer to Hulk than Wolverine.
It's not like the piece he hid under was a standing wall taking a direct hit from a shock wave. Don't they usually put armor at an angle for a legit reason?
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Watch the nova again. Look at the sheer destruction caused, the buildings entirely annihilated. Then look at the piece of debris Batman hides behind. It looks- comparatively- undamaged. In addition, despite being unattached to the ground, the blast doesn't dislodge or move the small chunk even though we see a literal storm of debris being picked up and flung through the air. It's like hiding under a car in a hurricane but that one car doesn't get picked up or even moved because the hero is under it.

And yeah, armour is sloped for a reason but I'm not sure that's an applicable analogy against an all consuming wave of energy. I doubt the nova deals damage in the same manner as a projectile.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Kojiro wrote:It's worth nothing when Doomsday does his big energy nova, our three heroes have different responses. Batman hide because he knows he'll be annihilated by the blast. It does after all smash concrete and destroy buildings (just not the little bit he hid under :P).
To be fair, that piece was pretty thick and heavy; the sort of thing that might very well not move under blast overpressure, and frankly quite a lot thicker than most normal buildings.

An attack that knocks down buildings with a wall of reinforced concrete a few inches thick might not even budge a slab two or three feet thick.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

There's the bit of debris he hides behind.
That's the initial blast from a distance.
That's it a second later.
And a fraction later.

That blast isn't just knocking buildings down, it's completely sweeping them away. Granted Batman's survival isn't impossible but that cover is convenient.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

My main point is, Lois hides in a standing building and it gets knocked down on her. Literally. We kinda see the difference in deflecting it as opposed to trying to hold it off here, don't we?
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Elheru Aran wrote: WW is pretty easily comparable to Thor, actually. Demigod, supernatural-ish "tech-magic" toys, very tough/strong, likes cosplay...
Yea, very similar, they even use their toys for blocking attacks.

Both of them have at one point had a silly 'bullets can hurt them, that's why they use their item defense,' thing too. Though I think in both cases that's largely been forgotten- WW being shot nowadays is more like being you or I being hit with a rubber band.

It is definitely the case that, say, her skeleton is more cutting resistant than her flesh though, so when facing other mythic/high power types with swords, she gets cut up pretty often and that's where bracers come in handy.

One way of putting it is the godly types here are same 'toughness' league as Superman- has a high 'hit point' total so to speak- but in a lower 'invulnerability' league. It's a bit easier to hurt them in the first place. Course, having a way to just block damage totally if they can defend with their fear arguably makes up for that.

And WW does have a degree of healing/rapid recovery too. After the big 'Sacrifice' storyline where she had a knock-out, drag-down, broken-bones, both-sides-badly-wounded fight with mind controlled Superman, an hour or so later she was back operating at something resembling full power.