The Magnificent Seven Remake

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

The Magnificent Seven Remake

Post by Zaune »

So, yeah... This is my impressed face: :|

It's nice to see a Western not just bother to have a black character but a black protagonist for a change, but I can't help feeling they're calling this a remake because nobody noticed it was a blatant rip-off until it was too late to get their money back. And I'm sure I remember Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen having an Establishing Character Moment, as TV Tropes would put it, that didn't revolve around their ability to shoot people and make witty quips about it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Re: The Magnificent Seven Remake

Post by Kingmaker »

Obviously it's a little hard to say from just a trailer, but they don't appear to be taking much in the way of thematic or character cues from either the original Magnificent Seven or from the Seven Samurai. Sounds pretty much like a remake in name only.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Meh, I'll just watch my Seven Samurai dvd again.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Yeah. Looks like this will be an entertaining but forgettable generic action romp that happens to share a name with a better movie.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Me, I'm just wondering why a western is in the Fantasy forum. Does it have wizards or something in the remake?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Me, I'm just wondering why a western is in the Fantasy forum. Does it have wizards or something in the remake?
*shrugs* I'm sure he was just unsure where to put it. It happens. If a mod cares, they'll punt it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Me, I'm just wondering why a western is in the Fantasy forum. Does it have wizards or something in the remake?
Eli Wallach is playing the villain again.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Elheru Aran wrote:*shrugs* I'm sure he was just unsure where to put it. It happens. If a mod cares, they'll punt it.
Pretty much. Though maybe that token Native American guy who got almost no screentime and no lines in the trailer will end up going on a vision quest or doing a raindance or something equally stereotypical and badly-researched.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zaune wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:*shrugs* I'm sure he was just unsure where to put it. It happens. If a mod cares, they'll punt it.
Pretty much. Though maybe that token Native American guy who got almost no screentime and no lines in the trailer will end up going on a vision quest or doing a raindance or something equally stereotypical and badly-researched.
Hopefully not.

Though now that I think of it, The Magnificent Seven Sorcerers could make a pretty good movie. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Or the best Dresden Files short story never written.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, I read somewhere recently that a short Dresden Files western is in the works, starring Luccio, but I don't have a good source for that (I think it was on TV Tropes).

Not a Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven variation though.