The Most Immoral Character in Harry Potter

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Most Immoral Character in Harry Potter

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm not assuming anything as such, personally.

But the precedents in Harry Potter magic are mostly, broadly speaking in favor of magic being relatively low-cost to use, with a handful of exceptions. Even powerful magical artifacts generally don't involve massive sacrifices, nor do they give up their power slowly and grudgingly to their owners. The exceptions to this rule are usually named explicitly. For instance, we are told on multiple occasions that creating horcruxes requires a deliberate murder as one of the components, and damages the soul with nonspecific but bad side effects. We are explicitly told that consuming the blood of a unicorn brings curses upon oneself. And I can't even think of any other examples of high-price magic in Harry Potter, though there may be a few others.

Since the Philosopher's Stone is not said to have such a price, and since very few magics in Harry Potter have such a price, it is MORE LIKELY that the Stone is relatively easy to use.

But this is not a certainty, and it is surely conceivable that it would be impractical or impossible for Flamel to do any more with the Stone than prolong his own life and that of his wife. At most he might be able to, say, cure one or two diseases or bestow a few extra years of life, once each decade or two... in which case maybe he actually does that and we don't know, or maybe he never does that because in that case, competition for his extremely rare favors would be so intense that it would imperil his happiness if not his life- and I would understand that. Since being constantly harassed for years would be bad enough to disincline a reasonable person from doing a significantly helpful act once every ten to twenty years.

That's possible, and it's certainly more charitable.

But I don't think it's true, simply because very few magics in Harry Potter, including powerful ones, are costly or difficult like that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I can think of 2 legitimate reasons that Mr. Flammel could not be sharing the elixir with others.

#1 - It only works for the person(s) that make it with the stone. Therefore, to make it, you need a Stone.
A Philosopher's Stone is a economy killer. Lead to Gold? That will make everyone rich.
It also may involve nuclear transmutation and radiation.

Even ignoring the possible nuclear implications, that means that for someone to make the Elixir, they'd need to go to Mr. Flammel, and learn how to make it.

So, what's to stop someone from, murdering Mr. Flammel to get his stone instead of making one themselves?

#2 - If it was common, Voldemort would have been out of comission for what, a month? Then he's back to hunting baby-Harry and terrorizing the country.
Odds are, Mr. Flammel would like to prevent stuff like that.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Solauren wrote:I can think of 2 legitimate reasons that Mr. Flammel could not be sharing the elixir with others.

#1 - It only works for the person(s) that make it with the stone. Therefore, to make it, you need a Stone.
A Philosopher's Stone is a economy killer. Lead to Gold? That will make everyone rich.
It also may involve nuclear transmutation and radiation.
Almost no Harry Potter magic has 'physics' side effects of any kind, so the radiation hazard seems unlikely, plus there's no evidence that transmutation of elements is involved in crafting the Elixir of Life.

And frankly, if the only reason to withhold the Philosopher's Stone is that it makes gold cheap, given that the Stone also grants immunity to old age... that's not a good enough reason. Old age is the cause of a great deal of suffering. It would be worth sacrificing the gold standard to get rid of that.
Even ignoring the possible nuclear implications, that means that for someone to make the Elixir, they'd need to go to Mr. Flammel, and learn how to make it.

So, what's to stop someone from, murdering Mr. Flammel to get his stone instead of making one themselves?
He has that problem anyway. That's why he gave the Stone to Dumbledore (one of the mightiest wizards in the world) to keep at Hogwarts (one of the strongest magical fortresses in the world), rather than, say, carrying it around in his hip pocket.
#2 - If it was common, Voldemort would have been out of comission for what, a month? Then he's back to hunting baby-Harry and terrorizing the country.
Odds are, Mr. Flammel would like to prevent stuff like that.
Thing is, there are a lot of other categories of "stuff" that could be prevented by the Elixir, too. For instance, he could have kept Dumbledore in the prime of good health, which might make him more able to oppose Voldemort effectively. He could have preserved the lives of many other skilled and benevolent wizards too, so that they would all be able to gang up on Voldemort at once.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Your point 1 doesn't work either; the Elixir can't work only for whoever made the Stone as Flamel gives the Elixir to his wife.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Your point 1 doesn't work either; the Elixir can't work only for whoever made the Stone as Flamel gives the Elixir to his wife.
Unless his wife helped him make the stone in the first place.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

That is possible, but we have noething to indicate she did, and the statement that Flamel is "the only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone" to suggest she didn't.

Basing an argument on "maybe she helped him" strikes me as being very tenuous.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

If the stone doesn't help people who didn't have a part in making it, wouldn't the whole book be Dumbledore just tossing the stone to Voldemort and saying, "Here you go, have at it, for all the good it will do you."?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

FaxModem1 wrote:If the stone doesn't help people who didn't have a part in making it, wouldn't the whole book be Dumbledore just tossing the stone to Voldemort and saying, "Here you go, have at it, for all the good it will do you."?
...how did I miss that? Excellent point.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

bilateralrope wrote:
Gandalf wrote:I'm thinking it's a cultural thing. The wizards we see have the power to create water, make plants grow, and heal all sorts of wounds. How many hundreds of millions are dying unnecessarily because the wizards are turning a blind eye?

Weirdly, should a wizard step outside the wall to try and help this underclass, they're sent to scary wizard gaol.
Would increasing the number of wizards be good for muggles ?
I'm not sure I follow you here.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Gandalf wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:
Gandalf wrote:I'm thinking it's a cultural thing. The wizards we see have the power to create water, make plants grow, and heal all sorts of wounds. How many hundreds of millions are dying unnecessarily because the wizards are turning a blind eye?

Weirdly, should a wizard step outside the wall to try and help this underclass, they're sent to scary wizard gaol.
Would increasing the number of wizards be good for muggles ?
I'm not sure I follow you here.
If increasing the number of wizards is bad for muggles, then holding back on something that would increase wizard numbers might be a moral act.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

There isn't a lot of evidence that Flamel believes that more wizards would be a bad thing, or that he has reason to believe that, other than the obvious point that he does not act to prolong the lives or health of his fellow wizards. And it would be a circular argument to say that we think he's withholding the Elixir of Life for the 'noble' reason of keeping wizard population down, which we know he believes in because he withholds the Elixir of Life.

And it's debatable whether more wizards would be a bad thing. One of the reasons wizards are so secretive, I think, is the fear that the sheer numbers of muggles present a threat to them. If wizards became known and muggles decided to persecute them (hardly unprecedented), then they would be outnumbered thousands to one and would be in grave danger.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

On the other hand, an increase in population would probably affect their ability to remain hidden long before it would give them numerical parity.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:If the stone doesn't help people who didn't have a part in making it, wouldn't the whole book be Dumbledore just tossing the stone to Voldemort and saying, "Here you go, have at it, for all the good it will do you."?
Perhaps you've never heard of the concept of reverse engineering?

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I am skeptical that it is a concept most wizards would have a good grasp on.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Solauren wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Perhaps you've never heard of the concept of reverse engineering?
Considering how inept wizards are with any logical or rational process, to the point that logic puzzles stump them as a security threat, I think reverse engineering would be a bit beyond them.

And, who in Voldemort's camp is clever enough to actually try and do it?

Maybe Snape. Maybe, and he was working against Quirrell at the time.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

bilateralrope wrote:
Gandalf wrote:I'm not sure I follow you here.
If increasing the number of wizards is bad for muggles, then holding back on something that would increase wizard numbers might be a moral act.
I think we're having a miscommunication here. My concern is that wizards are essentially letting muggles die needlessly by withholding aid.

Also, it's not just that wizards don't help, but that individual wizards aren't allowed beyond the wall separating them from the underclass. How much is the average wizard allowed to do when they see something like the WTC attacks?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually I believe it is explicitly stated that wizards are allowed to break the Statute of Secrecy and the underage wizardry rule in life-threatening situations (i.e. Harry's defence for using a Patronus charm in the middle of a Muggle neighbourhood).

Also, their is no prohibition on wizards entering Muggle communities. Its even mentioned, as I recall, that Squibs (non-magical people born to magical families) were sometimes encouraged to enter the Muggle world, and their are innumerable cases of intermarriage.

According to Rowling, though, wizard America did have a ban on intermarriage and basically no interaction for a while, due to a cluster fuck that happened a few hundred years ago involving a major breach of the Statute of Secrecy that seriously embarrassed the American magical government.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Actually I believe it is explicitly stated that wizards are allowed to break the Statute of Secrecy and the underage wizardry rule in life-threatening situations
There is, but it is understood that it includes the part "to the wizard". As in - they are only getting a waiver if it was their life in peril. They are not supposed to go around and meddle in Muggle life, as this would be too troublesome to hunt down an obliviate all the witnesses if it was to occur often.

As for the main topic - I do believe that the elixir is not something you actively make, but someting that happens when you use the stone in a certain way (That's why it's always said the stone makes the elixir. Same for the gold transmutation.).
I'm pretty sure that it happens at a set speed - e.g. soak the stone in a set amount of unspecified liquid for a certain time - 1 dose of elixir; put it on top of a peice of metal, and watch the metal slowly change to gold... It just happens to make enough for two if constantly soaking in a barrel of the base liquid. Therefore, Flanell just wasn't able to create any stockpiles of that stuff. Which is also the cause why he and his wife will die soon after the destruction.

Why didn't he make more stones? I'm pretty sure making that thing carries a pretty hefty cost - all life prolonging /death trickery methods do in HP verse.

Unicorn blood? You live a cursed life after drinking it - unspecified, but it seems only people like Voldemort are willing to pay that price, for unicorsn are available - you could farm them and drain parts of their blood peridically to prolong lives - but noone seem willing to do that.

Horcruxes - you need to kill, and your soul is damaged, with possibly means you will get even more evil that you have been to even attempt it in the first place.

Resurrection ritual - bone of the father, flesh of a servant, blood of an enemy.

Even the resurrection stone that only lets you see and speak to the deceased will slowly drive you mad.

I am pretty sure that whatever he did 600 years ago to make that stone would see him chucked trough the archway if he would do it today. Probably even back then. That's why he doesn't tell any one about how it' done. I'm thinking that Full Metal Alchemist has it right on how it was made.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

LaCroix wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Actually I believe it is explicitly stated that wizards are allowed to break the Statute of Secrecy and the underage wizardry rule in life-threatening situations
There is, but it is understood that it includes the part "to the wizard". As in - they are only getting a waiver if it was their life in peril. They are not supposed to go around and meddle in Muggle life, as this would be too troublesome to hunt down an obliviate all the witnesses if it was to occur often.
There are cases mentioned in "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" (the book not the new film) where wizards break the statute of secrecy in order to save Muggles from magical threats - the case being a wizarding family on holiday protecting a beach of muggles from a group of dragons.

So I think the waiver applies to life-threatening situations for the wizard (Harry fighting off those Dementors in book 5) or magical threats to muggles, which makes sense since obliviating a bunch of muggles is an easier way of preserving secrecy than coming up with a convincing cover story for a load of dead muggles.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Well, they were on the beach being attacked, so it was a grey area and they weren't complete bastards. Also, it is easier to obliviate survivors than to create compelling stories for lots of dead muggles resembling charcoal on a beach.

But helping in a completely muggle incident just because you can will not be looked upon as positively, I'd bet on that.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
LaCroix wrote:
There are cases mentioned in "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" (the book not the new film) where wizards break the statute of secrecy in order to save Muggles from magical threats - the case being a wizarding family on holiday protecting a beach of muggles from a group of dragons.

So I think the waiver applies to life-threatening situations for the wizard (Harry fighting off those Dementors in book 5) or magical threats to muggles, which makes sense since obliviating a bunch of muggles is an easier way of preserving secrecy than coming up with a convincing cover story for a load of dead muggles.
That's really quite disturbing if you think about it.

- George Carlin
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

It's Harry Potter, there is a huge amount of stuff wizards consider normal that is frankly horrifying if you think about it from a muggle/OOC perspective for a few minutes. This is what got me thinking about Flamel being immoral in the first place.

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Reading up on the various myths about the Philosophers Stone, there's a couple of common points.

Creating the Stone is the culmination of an alchemists life work, his Magnus Opus. Not easy to do then.

Creating the Elixir involves physically cutting off a part of the Stone, dissolving it in a liquid and drinking it.
So there is a very finite supply of the stuff.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, as I noted before, if the Stone cannot feasibly be duplicated and if the Elixir is extremely hard to make, then it becomes understandable that Flamel isn't sharing it out even with his closest friends and family.

However, a lot of magic that in some legends is very difficult becomes very easy in the Harry Potter setting. So it's hard for us to make any definitive statement about the status of the Philosopher's Stone.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, I would say the fact that the stone is so valuable, but only one person has been able to make it and even Voldemort opted to try to steal it from a high security vault over making his own, indicates pretty definitively that it isn't easily made, although why its hard to make is unclear.