Geralt the Witcher VS Demon Primarch (WH:40K + Witcher series)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Archinist
Padawan Learner

Geralt the Witcher VS Demon Primarch (WH:40K + Witcher series)

Post by Archinist »

A ROB flies past a planet, causing terrible shockwaves which devastate the local terrain at first but then this causes massive dust clouds in which the chemicals mix around a bit and then it is perfect luck that they just happen to combine and form a powerful witcher called Geralt with all of his abilities, and a unnamed demon primarch, while another dust cloud forms a powerful local Warp presence.

Then the same dust clouds swirl around the three entities and throw them to a new planet, which is identical to earth but without humans and the continents are mushed around a bit. They start 1,000 meters away from each other, each has his standard loadout.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Geralt the Witcher VS Demon Primarch (WH:40K + Witcher series)

Post by Lord Revan »

I assume you mean Daemon Prince as "Primarch" is Space Marine title referring to the leader of Space Marine Legion , thus technically there isn't an "unnamed deamon primarch" if you use one of the 2 primarchs of the lost legions you're essentially using a "generic" deamon prince anyway. The Deamon Primarchs are as follows
  1. Fulgrim, Deamon Prince of Slaanesh and Primarch of the Emperor's Children legion
  2. Peturbo, Deamon Prince of Chaos Undivided and Primarch of the Iron Warriors legion
  3. Angron, Deamon Prince of Khorne and Primarch of the World Eaters legion
  4. Mortarion, Deamon Prince of Nurgle and Primarch of the Death Guard legion
  5. Magnus the Red Deamon Prince of Tzeentch and Primarch of the Thousand Sons legion
  6. Lorgar Aurelian Deamon Prince of Chaos Undivided and Primarch of the Word Bearers legion
Each and everyone of these is powerful greater deamon (daemon Prince to be exact), even a generic Daemon Prince is nothing to be careless about as Daemon Princes are mortals who have accended thru deeds great enough to gain notice and favor or one or more of the dark gods no small feat
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Geralt goes splat, at least based on the books I've read. He *might* be able to take down a powerful lesser daemon, like a Herald of Khorne. Against someone like Angron or Perturabo? No.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Lord Revan wrote:I assume you mean Daemon Prince as "Primarch" is Space Marine title referring to the leader of Space Marine Legion , thus technically there isn't an "unnamed deamon primarch" if you use one of the 2 primarchs of the lost legions you're essentially using a "generic" deamon prince anyway. The Deamon Primarchs are as follows
  1. Fulgrim, Deamon Prince of Slaanesh and Primarch of the Emperor's Children legion
  2. Peturbo, Deamon Prince of Chaos Undivided and Primarch of the Iron Warriors legion
  5. Magnus the Red Deamon Prince of Tzeentch and Primarch of the Thousand Sons legion
  6. Lorgar Aurelian Deamon Prince of Chaos Undivided and Primarch of the Word Bearers legion
Each and everyone of these is powerful greater deamon (daemon Prince to be exact), even a generic Daemon Prince is nothing to be careless about as Daemon Princes are mortals who have accended thru deeds great enough to gain notice and favor or one or more of the dark gods no small feat
Okay, I was thinking of something more like this idea:

All of the above primarchs are pasted by giant god hands and rolled into a smooth rod, with many imperfections on its texture. The god hands then use a pair of scissors to snip the imperfections off, and then roll the imperfections back onto the original mould, until it forms a slightly neater rod. Then this process would be repeated over and over until there were no imperfections and only a perfectly smooth rod which is then cut down to shape and served. So basically just all of the demons mashed into a single demon but with all their unique identities taken away and molded into something bland.

I don't think that was a good way to word that, but okay.
Elheru Aran wrote:Geralt goes splat, at least based on the books I've read. He *might* be able to take down a powerful lesser daemon, like a Herald of Khorne. Against someone like Angron or Perturabo? No.
Geralt could probably take down a less demon relatively easily. I have also not read any of the books and only played one of the games.

The swamp women Geralt kills in W3 would probably be a bit above a lesser demon, as they are shown to teleport, warp reality, summon great beasts out of thin air and do generally minor god-like things.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Double post. My mistake.
Last edited by Archinist on 2016-07-12 10:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Archinist
Padawan Learner

Post by Archinist »

Accidentally tripled the posts thinking I was editing them instead. NOTE: This post originally contained edited messages to the previous replies, but I edited them out to save space.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Archinist wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:I assume you mean Daemon Prince as "Primarch" is Space Marine title referring to the leader of Space Marine Legion , thus technically there isn't an "unnamed deamon primarch" if you use one of the 2 primarchs of the lost legions you're essentially using a "generic" deamon prince anyway. The Deamon Primarchs are as follows
Okay, I was thinking of something more like this idea:

All of the above primarchs are pasted by giant god hands and rolled into a smooth rod, with many imperfections on its texture. The god hands then use a pair of scissors to snip the imperfections off, and then roll the imperfections back onto the original mould, until it forms a slightly neater rod. Then this process would be repeated over and over until there were no imperfections and only a perfectly smooth rod which is then cut down to shape and served. So basically just all of the demons mashed into a single demon but with all their unique identities taken away and molded into something bland.
Then that's useless. When we know specific Primarchs, then we have some idea of their specific capabilities. Mashing them all together like that basically gives us a generic Greater Daemon-- strong, vaguely magical, but nothing much to write home about.

The fact is that Geralt basically rates a medium Inquisitor with some low level psyker skills. And one of those would never confront a Daemon Primarch by choice because they would lose hard. Magnus, for example, would be able to casually kill them with his sorcery; Angron is the supreme exemplar of Khorne, and it took almost a hundred Grey Knights to banish him back into the Warp on Armageddon. We'll leave Kaldor Draigo out of the discussion...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

You don't seem to get just how well chaotic the Chaos powers are combining the favor of the all 4 chaos gods is something only 2 people in the entire WH40k-verse have been able to do, Warmaster Horus and Abbadon the Dispoiler. combining daemons of the seperate gods is simply not possible as the daemons are literally part of the god who granted them life(or daemonhood) the first place. Closest thing to what you're after would a generic Daemon Prince of Chaos Undivided.

Even generic Daemon Princes are quite powerful though as they had to reach Daemonhood without giving themselves to a single patron (no small feat) and still are greater daemons.

OK technically a Daemon Prince of Chaos Accendent would closest to what you're after but anyone capable of becoming that would so powerful that the White Wolf would have no chance in hell, probably quite literally as creature of that power would be able to drag the world into the Warp. Just to give an idea just how powerful such a creature is the Mark of Chaos Accendent is so rare there's only 1 in the whole milky way and making a mark meaning all 4 Gods agree "this person is kind of cool guy", making a Daemon of Chaos Accendent would mean that all 4 Chaos Gods would call a truce to the enternal war (practically unheard of) and willingly create a being with a piece of the power of all 4 (totally unheard of and strongly in counter to established personalities of the Chaos Gods)
Last edited by Lord Revan on 2016-07-12 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The 'roll into a rod' thing did not make a lot of sense. :(

Anyway.

Even Daemon Princes come at a variety of different levels of strength and magical/mental powers. The Daemon Princes who were once the Primarchs that fell to Chaos...

[Wow that is a lot of Gratuitous Capitalization]

...Anyway. Sorry, haven't finished my coffee, not focusing well.

The point is, the former Primarchs are really strong. If one of them shows up on your planet, your planet is screwed, unless dozens of psychic holy supersoldiers show up to save you. Like, a hundred of them. Or more. And we're talking guys who specialize in fighting daemons, to the point where literally all their weapons are optimized to take down daemons that are totally immune to normal weapons and can only be damaged by powerful holy relics. Guys with advanced power armor, some with literal deflector shields who have something like a hundred years on average of experience fighting daemons, and routinely kill daemons that are themselves capable of killing whole platoons of normal soldiers.

Gerault of Rivia is, when all's said and done, only one man. He's fast and strong, more so than any normal human from what I understand, but so is a Space Marine. And the fallen Primarchs are far beyond what any lone Space Marine could hope to kill. Especially if at least some of their equipment is likely to be unenchanted, unmodified medieval weapons and armor.

Gerault is just plain out of his weight class here.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah.

I mean, look. There was a Chaos Lord in the 'Space Marine' game, Nemeroth. He *almost* became a Daemon Prince... but even before that, he was capable of summoning Lesser Daemons (Bloodletters), unleashing a powerful psychic attack, and attempting to open a warp gate for an entire *fleet* to come through (he didn't succeed, but not for lack of trying).

That wasn't even a Daemon Prince, though pretty close. Daemon Primarchs are a step above a Daemon Prince to some degree (depends on who you ask). Geralt would have practically zero chance, especially without knowing specific things that work on the Warhammer Universe's daemons-- he tends to use a lot of tricks and gadgets which are specifically made to counter his world's creatures.

Now if you want to pit Geralt against, say, a Chaos Space Marine, or a Lesser Daemon? Then he's got a chance.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Most sources I've seen put the Daemon Primarchs on upper levels of power for a Daemon Prince, but still Daemon Princes
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Lord Revan wrote:You don't seem to get just how well chaotic the Chaos powers are combining the favor of the all 4 chaos gods is something only 2 people in the entire WH40k-verse have been able to do, Warmaster Horus and Abbadon the Dispoiler. combining daemons of the seperate gods is simply not possible as the daemons are literally part of the god who granted them life(or daemonhood) the first place. Closest thing to what you're after would a generic Daemon Prince of Chaos Undivided.

Even generic Daemon Princes are quite powerful though as they had to reach Daemonhood without giving themselves to a single patron (no small feat) and still are greater daemons.

OK technically a Daemon Prince of Chaos Accendent would closest to what you're after but anyone capable of becoming that would so powerful that the White Wolf would have no chance in hell, probably quite literally as creature of that power would be able to drag the world into the Warp. Just to give an idea just how powerful such a creature is the Mark of Chaos Accendent is so rare there's only 1 in the whole milky way and making a mark meaning all 4 Gods agree "this person is kind of cool guy", making a Daemon of Chaos Accendent would mean that all 4 Chaos Gods would call a truce to the enternal war (practically unheard of) and willingly create a being with a piece of the power of all 4 (totally unheard of and strongly in counter to established personalities of the Chaos Gods)
Undivided Daemon Princes exist. There's two undivided chaos primarchs even!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

NecronLord wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:You don't seem to get just how well chaotic the Chaos powers are combining the favor of the all 4 chaos gods is something only 2 people in the entire WH40k-verse have been able to do, Warmaster Horus and Abbadon the Despoiler. combining daemons of the seperate gods is simply not possible as the daemons are literally part of the god who granted them life(or daemonhood) the first place. Closest thing to what you're after would a generic Daemon Prince of Chaos Undivided.

Undivided Daemon Princes exist. There's two undivided chaos primarchs even!
I know they exist I even named them earlier. I was speaking of Chaos Accendent which atm exist solely as special Mark of Chaos unique to Abbadon the Despoiler

I case wasn't clear enough Daemon Princes of Chaos Undivided do exit and they have to be really badass as they gained Daemonhood without giving themselves to single patron.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Keep in mind if you didn't read the books the book Witcher comes off as weaker then the game Witcher, if not radically. But he also has some powers he seldom uses and are hard to gauge since he can mostly sword slice his human enemies and seldom fights monsters anymore.

The proper comparison would be against the Wizards of the Witcher universe, which are vastly more powerful then Witchers. Witchers have a speed advantage and just enough magic power to gain an advantage in combat, and manipulate normal humans. They were engineered for a purpose, and in no way represent a maximum. Geralt is simply very good at his job, and got the same death camp training and mutations as everyone else.

The actual Wizards can do stuff like teleport and transmute people into animals in ranged combat, make large explosions and even craft pocket dimensions. However all of this takes physical effort, their ability to employ large amounts of magic powers on the spot is limited.

In a book battle we get only a recounting of IIRC it was about ~10 of said Wizards deployed on the battlefield could only hold off a very large Medieval Army, they were not powerful enough to negate the existence of such a force and had the support of their own army to win. I would reckon the most powerful are likely to have any chance at all against high ranking Chaos anything and probably not even then. A Witcher in 40K would have lots of use and jobs, but he would just be what he is in the books, an exterminator on crack.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Annatar Giftbringer
Youngling

Post by Annatar Giftbringer »

If memory serves, Be'Lakor (sp?) was one of very few 'unmarked' demon princes. He's insanely powerful, in great part thanks to his greater freedom of will (none of the gods can claim absolute control over him due to him being undivided) and IIRC the chaos gods more or less decided 'never again'
Ash nazg durbatulûk,
Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk
Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Be'lakor (no capital L) is a bit different, being apparently the very first Daemon Prince, he's had a long enough time to become quite the thorn in the Chaos Gods' side given that he's got enough ambition to want to become one in his own right. That's mostly why they don't want to make another.

Lorgar and Perturabo do also count as Daemon Princes of Chaos Undivided, particularly Lorgar; Pertuabo is slightly debatable. They're Primarchs though so they're special snowflakes.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I'm not too familiar with Geralt's capabilities, but perhaps I can suggest some match-ups that might help us figure this one out. It'd need to be analysed and answered by someone with familiarity with both Witcher and WH40k though.

- How would Geralt fare against a Chaos Space Marine who's a veteran of the Long War (10,000 years old)?
- How would Geralt fare against a Primarch, such as Fulgrim, during a Great Crusade era (before he falls to Chaos)?

The Astartes are already superhuman warriors, and the Primarchs are demigods capable of laying low superhuman armies, so perhaps we can work our way up from there.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sea Skimmer wrote:The actual Wizards can do stuff like teleport and transmute people into animals in ranged combat, make large explosions and even craft pocket dimensions. However all of this takes physical effort, their ability to employ large amounts of magic powers on the spot is limited.

In a book battle we get only a recounting of IIRC it was about ~10 of said Wizards deployed on the battlefield could only hold off a very large Medieval Army, they were not powerful enough to negate the existence of such a force and had the support of their own army to win.
They were also opposed by several enemy wizards and spent most of their fighting vs those. Not saying your overall point is wrong, just that the battle of Sodden Hill is not the best estimate of their power.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Geralt's a well trained, moderately augmented human with medieval weaponry, handy potions, and some very good and very intensive training. For him to win against a naked Space Marine (a superhumanely fast, tough being that can kill him in one blow) is just possible. If he has prep time, his odds improve a little. If the Marine has armor and weapons then he's got no chance. Against a Primarch it's even more ridiculous. Why don't we try putting him against something more his speed, like say a monster from a medieval level fantasy setting? Or perhaps a Warhammer Fantasy Warrior of Chaos?
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Cykeisme wrote:- How would Geralt fare against a Chaos Space Marine who's a veteran of the Long War (10,000 years old)?
Most have not improved notably with age, though sometimes they seem to think they have.

Can he dodge bullets? The basic marine fights with his bolter.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I don't even understand why people are asking the question.

I've had only limited exposure to The Witcher in its various forms, but I gather that one important point of the entire setting is that Gerault and men like him are still human in a meaningful sense. They have human strengths and weaknesses, they can be injured the way humans can be injured, they struggle with the same things humans struggle with. A witcher may be exceptionally fast and strong and have some magical abilities, but the feats they are capable of are NOT generally things that are totally beyond the limits of what we can imagine humans doing.

They're "strong men." They're heroes. But they're not demigods.

Whereas 40k explicitly makes many of its more powerful characters into demigods, and then arms them with weapons that make the typical medieval weaponry wielded by fantasy-setting warriors look like toothpicks and wiffle bats by comparison.

It's not a reasonable contest.

I remember when people were saying "what if Iron Man in a Hulkbuster suit fought a Bloodthirster from 40k," and while it was generally agreed the Bloodthirster would win, that at least made sense, because a comic book hero character like Iron Man operates on the right general sense of scale.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

He's certainly still human as far as taking physical damage and outright strength go. In other respects he's evil rouge wizard killer created mutant state is fairly important, and only a few percent of children survive the drugs once used to mutate them. The reflex is from the mutation, but can be further enhanced The mutation is vital to letting them then survive the potions they use. They also gain an inherent resistance to magic. He'd run through a bunch of normal human champions and can mind control people for short periods.

Anything like a chaos space marine though is just no contest. Go put Geralt in that kind of armor and weapon and he'd be very powerful. The bigger Chaos forms are just no comparison. Demigods and possibly the size of buildings.

As far as Sodden Hill goes the Wizards seemed to have to fight in a group to be capable of fighting at all. It doesn't matter how powerful they are at notional speeds if its not operationally effective in combat. They were opposed by Wizards, but victory also did not mean they for example, vaporized the entire opposing army, more an artillery duel in nature then total domination. The point of the political saga after all was simply that money wins wars, and the old world was already dead.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Geralt is poorly matched against any opponent he has no understanding of and no time to prepare. The games make it rather clear that Geralt likes to stack the deck in his favour through investigation and knowledge of his enemies so that IF he has to fight them he has a decent chance of doing so.

Dumping him up against an enemy from another universe is 100% going to get him killed because he has no chance to gather intelligence on what he is up against and without time to make his potions etc. he is starting off at a severe handicap. I would fully expect Geralt to either try and talk his way out or run because it wont take much intelligence to realise that anything from the WH40K is not something he is prepared or equipped to fight.

Even at the height of Geralt's power in Witcher 3 - Most of the folks he is running around with could kill him rather easily.
I do not even imagine Ciri being able to cope well against WH40K beasts even with her super-powers. Unless you get extremely favourable by playing the game mechanics components as being entirely true.
I.E Geralt / Ciri running around with super mastercrafted magically enchanted gear that can be brokenly stacked so high their abilities become godlike.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Isn't Ciri a goddess for all intents and purposes as far as her power level is, IIRC she's actually more powerful in the books then in the game but with less control over her abilities, that's the impression I got from secondary sources I've not read the short stories themselves.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Lord Revan wrote:Isn't Ciri a goddess for all intents and purposes as far as her power level is, IIRC she's actually more powerful in the books then in the game but with less control over her abilities, that's the impression I got from secondary sources I've not read the short stories themselves.
She can travel through space and to alternate dimensions approximately at will, is an excellent fighter, and has some command of magic (her education was cut somewhat short), but she's not a goddess.