Mister Ed with the Venom Symbiote in Fallout

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Mister Ed with the Venom Symbiote in Fallout

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

As nuclear war between China and the United States looms, Wilbur deems it to be in Ed's best interest to sell him to the United States government in exchange for Vault spots for him and his wife, so they may all have a fighting chance of surviving the worst. Although the prospect of breeding sapient, speaking pack animals appeals to the army, they are barely able to relocate him to Massatuchetts for study before it becomes apparent that nuclear exchange is merely days away. Out of time to move forward with the program, the army decides they must stow Ed in MIT satellite campus' cryogenic stasis chamber for retrieval after the conflict; however, they find themselves badly prepared to facilitate a cryogenic chamber for a horse, and their best attempt to jerry-rig one together is a barely passable shambles that sees Ed slowly enter a coma and die, moving further and further from being well enough to be safely woken and creeping towards an inevitable demise alone in an abandoned campus building...

... or so it would have been, had a meteor not directly struck the underground vault holding Ed's chamber and rupturing it enough to admit the Venom Symbiote. Springing back from the brink of death, Ed is outraged by the hubris and the cruelty of the Wasteland, and vows to make it safe for the innocent once again - and the Symbiote is perfectly eager to see what it can make of the situation.

Can Mister Ed, massively engorged by the Symbiote who carries all of the abilities of the Marvel Venom Symbiote but with improved resistance to all but directed sonic attacks, successfully restore anything of the world he knew at the Post's farm in Boston, circa Fallout 4? And if he cannot, will it be because he will fall to the Wasteland or the Symbiote?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mister Ed with the Venom Symbiote in Fallout

Post by FaxModem1 »

:wtf:

On-topic, doesn't the Venom parasite turn you, well, evil? Won't Mr. Ed try to spread the symbiote and build a gate to the Venom's homeworld to bring more of them to Earth?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Who is this Mr. Ed. I would look it up but the name is so generic that I don't even know where to start.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Purple wrote:Who is this Mr. Ed. I would look it up but the name is so generic that I don't even know where to start.
Mister Ed is a horse, a horse, of course, of course.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

FaxModem1 wrote:
Purple wrote:Who is this Mr. Ed. I would look it up but the name is so generic that I don't even know where to start.
Mister Ed is a horse, a horse, of course, of course.

I am split between :wtf: and :mrgreen:
I shall have to investigate this.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

FaxModem1 wrote:On-topic, doesn't the Venom parasite turn you, well, evil? Won't Mr. Ed try to spread the symbiote and build a gate to the Venom's homeworld to bring more of them to Earth?
Not exactly; the Venom Symbiote isn't "evil", it just has a violent personality and it urges the wearer to engage in extremely risky behavior. It fears rejection and is preferential to hosts with terminal illnesses or disabilities who can't afford to discard it casually, hence the need to contrive a coma for Ed in this scenario. Even leaving that aside, it doesn't have any particular scientific acumen to build a portal, the rest of the symbiotes regard Venom as a weirdo and were responsible for his initial imprisonment, and most significantly, Galactus devoured their home world ages ago.

All Venom has in this scenario is Mister Ed, and Mister Ed's ambitions to reassert some version of the life he enjoyed back on the Posts' farm in California. Maybe the Brotherhood or the Minutemen or some other group or groups in th Commonwealth will help him in this, but if he can't keep the symbiote's impulsive behavior in check, Mister Ed might end up even more alone than the game's protagonist.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I can imagine Venom-Ed establishing himself at the Abernathy Farm. It has nice people, good crops, a cat to play with, plenty of open space, and nearby Raiders to kill to satiate the symbiote.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

There is also a question of has this version of Venom bonded with some of it's human hosts yet?

Apparently, it was bonded with Deadpool before it was bonded to Spiderman (yeah, I know), and that's part of Venoms problems. (It also explains it's fixation on Spiderman, rejection or not).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Solauren wrote:There is also a question of has this version of Venom bonded with some of it's human hosts yet?

Apparently, it was bonded with Deadpool before it was bonded to Spiderman (yeah, I know), and that's part of Venoms problems. (It also explains it's fixation on Spiderman, rejection or not).
...I'm pretty sure that's semi-non-canon, happening during the "Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars" miniseries. Secret Wars (2015) basically reset everything back to zero at the end, from what I understand. I could be wrong though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

In other words, Mister Ed now becomes a post-apocolyptic version of Thirty-Thirty, except with Venom instead of cybernetics/robotics.

In answer to the original post, it depends on how far gone the world is, when he returns to it. More than likely, he will fight a valiant but ultimately doomed struggle to fix what was broken during the war, and to maintain his sanity in the wake of the Venom slowly but surely taking him over, and from the insanity of the Wastelands.

Since he knows Wilbur and family managed to secure Vault spots, he's also going to fight an equally valiant, and perhaps doomed, struggle to reunite with them, though it probably will not be like old times there either, as the fight for survival in the hell of post-nuclear war is going to change them, and not for the better.

In closing, remember, a horse is a horse, of course. Even if he's being mutated and taken over by an alien symbiote with an agenda of its own, he's still a horse.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The funny thing is that a talking horse would not be the most absurd thing you could find in the Wasteland.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

FaxModem1 wrote:I can imagine Venom-Ed establishing himself at the Abernathy Farm. It has nice people, good crops, a cat to play with, plenty of open space, and nearby Raiders to kill to satiate the symbiote.
... unfortunately the symbiote has human-level intelligence and it will figure out it is being placated. Canned hunts don't offer much thrill to experienced hunters.

Also, Ed can't get apples at Abernathy Farm, which is sort of a deal-breaker for him.
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:Since he knows Wilbur and family managed to secure Vault spots, he's also going to fight an equally valiant, and perhaps doomed, struggle to reunite with them, though it probably will not be like old times there either, as the fight for survival in the hell of post-nuclear war is going to change them, and not for the better.
Are there any facilities back in California with the cryostasis chambers like the ones near Boston? Because as this is Fallout 4, 210 years will have passed and the Posts will probably be long dead. He might try to reunite with their descendants, assuming they have any, but I wouldn't blame Mister Ed if he didn't feel like he'd have enough in common with them to bother.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Yeah, forgot about that, Tithonous.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

No worries.

Is there anything in the Wasteland that would give Mister Ed serious pause? Could he reliably kill Deathclaws or Behemoths in this state, or overcome a unit of Brotherhood Knights using decent combined-arms tactics, assuming he fell out of their favor? What about Mirelurk Kings and their sonic attacks - would they be instantly fatal to Venom, or simply unrealistic for a horse in a narrow corridor to dodge?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:No worries.

Is there anything in the Wasteland that would give Mister Ed serious pause? Could he reliably kill Deathclaws or Behemoths in this state, or overcome a unit of Brotherhood Knights using decent combined-arms tactics, assuming he fell out of their favor? What about Mirelurk Kings and their sonic attacks - would they be instantly fatal to Venom, or simply unrealistic for a horse in a narrow corridor to dodge?
The Venom Symbiote would probably render him king of the wasteland, he'll be faster, stronger, and more versatile than anything around. Sonic attacks would be a problem, but they wouldn't be immediately fatal to the symbiote, just very painful.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Even things like Brotherhood Helibirds? If they stay at a reasonable altitude even the symbiote can't launch him up into them. That might be the one thing that makes him have to at least exercise some guile.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Purple wrote:I shall have to investigate this.
I watched it kind of a lot as a kid. Like most successful 1960s-era American sitcoms, it's pretty formulaic but generally entertaining. The primary running jokes are that Ed is by far the smartest member of the family, that the horse who played Ed was very good at lip-synching "his" lines, that Ed refuses to talk to anybody but Wilbur, that he has kind of a cruel sense of humor about it, that Wilbur's wife and neighbors never catch on and just think Wilbur is very eccentric or possibly schizophrenic, and that Ed assists Wilbur more out of boredom than compassion and would probably sell every human in his life for a self-maintaining apple orchard.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker