Rar: 4 horsemen vs 6 bikers vs 8 knights

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Rar: 4 horsemen vs 6 bikers vs 8 knights

Post by madd0ct0r »

Chronus, the vast being who's skin we live on, has decided our time is up.
The original 4 horsemen, Death, War, Pestilence and Famine have ridden out in Asia. Their goal is to return humanity to the stone age. They are normal humans, with the following abilities:

The Four horsemen

Death: Does not need to eat, sleep, breathe or drink. His scythe has a blade length of 1m, will pass through anything (without removing material), and will kill anyone it touches. He is in telepathic communication with the other four horsemen. If killed or destroyed, he will appear at the opposite point on the Earth's surface with his scythe.

War: Anyone seeing her for x amount of time is consumed with murderous rage against 'the other' for 10 times that time (one hour is ten hours for example). Unless she wills it, they will not see other ragers as 'other'. Their brain will go through mental contortions to provide reasons to define 'us and them', from territory or beliefs down to earlobes or 'they started it'. Ragers are not zombies. They will use weapons, tactics and will cooperate.
War is also immune to the effects of anything designed as a weapon. Drop a piano on her and she's dead, drop an ICBM and she's unaffected.

Pestilence: Pestilence may choose to infect himself with any existing disease at will, suffering all effects from it without actually dying. These diseases are as infectious as normal. He may also at any time emit a disease that controls a single species of non-human, with an effective range of 2km.

Famine: She may teleport to any location where there is more than two thousand kcal of human food located within a 2m diameter sphere, destroying everything within that sphere in the process. She may do this 2 times an hour.

The Horses.
The horses are normal horses with the following abilities: they are winged, summonable to any location, and capable of carrying their masters at Mach One. When seated on their horse, the number in their master's power (1m, 10 times, 2km, 2m, 2 times) is multiplied by ten.

The Six Bikers

They are in competition with the horsemen and will not ally. The Bikers are normal humans who only have their powers when seated on their motorbike. The motorbikes can fly at up to Mach 1, and do not require fuel. All six motorbikes have radios tuned to contact each other. They seek to destroy all humans.

Pollution: Pollution may at anytime emit a jet from their mouth of any one substance at a time: Crude oil@ 10,000 litres a minute, reaching up to ten meters, a dust cloud of lead and iron oxide powder, reaching up to 20m or a dustcloud of americium and uranium, reaching up to 20m.

Isolation: Isolation may make themselves invisible to all (sound, radio, xrays, the lot). They may instead create a black cloud 1km wide around them, Within this cloud, people can only sense another person is there by touch.

Depravity: Anytime Depravity enters your field of vision, you suffer a jolt of eupohoria. When he leaves your field of vision, you feel a crushing sense of loss. The effect is incredibly addictive, and generally once addicted you will think of nothing but how to please it and get it back into your vision. It takes the same number of occurrences as number of years a person has been alive to totally over-ride their self control. So a 19 year old mya see him 18 times and just be shaky, but after the nineteenth she will not recover under her own willpower.

Conquest: Anyone hearing this biker speak feels compelled to follow the orders to the best of their ability. The effect does not wear off. If this biker is killed, the longest controlled person is promoted to Conquest and the bike will start moving towards them at top speed.

Fear: Fear is surrounded by an aura 1km wide. Inside that aura, people experience each other as horrible mutated things. They see flickering hallucinations and are unable to sleep.

Santa Claus: If he judges you to be bad, you will be slayed and fed to cannibal monsters. If he judges you to be good, you will be promoted to an 'Elf' - a slavering cannibal monster. You will crave only carrots and human flesh of those who are 'bad'. Good and bad is defined as being over 100kg in weight or below, respectively. Santa and his bike may pass through material objects. The range of his judgement is 15m

The Eight Knights

The eight knights manifest in Africa. They have a duty to protect as much of humanity as possible, and stop the other two groups from succeeding in their missions. Any poster may specify a knight, based on an anthropomorphic personification of any abstract idea. They may have any reasonable power that ties into their abstract nature. No Knight alone shall be more powerful than any of the existing beings, they must win this through teamwork.
The knight is only added to the roster after a second poster seconds it. Be careful in your choice, not only do the knights have to defeat the 4 horsemen and the 6 bikers, they will define the world that comes after.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Rar: 4 horsemen vs 6 bikers vs 8 knights

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Knight: Mercy.

He is based on the concept of Compassion.
He possesses empathic ability (think roughly equivalent to Betazeds from "Star Trek").
He can free others from mental influence with a touch, but is not immune to mind control himself.
He can remove all physical pain from someone with a touch for one hour.
He can heal injuries with a touch as well, but at a cost of draining an equivalent amount of his own life force/health. Thus, he cannot instantly heal a moral gunshot wound, for example, without killing himself. At most, he could speed up the patient's recover at a cost to his own health.
If Mercy intentionally kills a sapient being directly, Mercy will lose his powers.

How's that?

Edit: To paraphrase Firefly, the no killing limitation is a mite fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps. :D Meaning Mercy may cause non-lethal damage in battle, at the price of having to feel whatever pain they inflict on their enemy.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

That's fantastic. I'd second it, but not sure if that's a conflict of interest as the op. Heavily reccommended to be added to the roster for style.

The mental influence shield is done on touch only? so he can't really shield more than just the 8 knights, and they have to put up with him ranting and raving/ trying to kill them himself? Let's hope another kinght can help there, else Compassion is going wrapped in duct tape for most of the fight.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thanks. I was a bit iffy about it myself, and I still think the concept could stand some refinement/tweaks/fleshing out, but I like the idea of a less dark character who would play a support role rather than being a direct combatant.

He couldn't actively shield effectively based on my description though, no. He could remove an influence after the fact, but he couldn't block it from being inflicted in the first place, or re-inflicted, unless he was touching the person in question at the time, which would put him in range and allow him to be turned himself.

Keep in mind, though, that's he's not just useful as a healer and counter to mind control. The empath stuff has decided intelligence/counterintelligence applications.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It occurs to me that the great majority of these wandering apocalpytic menaces are dangerous largely because of their psychological effects on those nearby. For this reason, attacking them with an army is pointless, and attacking them in single combat equally pointless, unless one has a mechanism of defense.

This is arguably redundant with Compassion in some ways, but it's an urgent necessity so I think that is justified.

If power level is deemed excessive, we can hopefully discuss that and modify as appropriate.

Truth.

The knight of Truth's sole power is that of clarity.

Her spoken word is sufficient to rupture illusions, break compulsions, and permit the bewitched to re-examine their motivations. All who hear her will feel a strong impulse to pay attention to her words, and will instinctively know where she is and what she is doing. She cannot misdirect, trick, or mislead anyone, intentionally or unintentionally- and anyone listening to her instinctively knows this, as well.

This effect is limited to those who could hear her speak in the absence of any supernatural impulses. It can be transmitted by electronic or mechanical means, but its supernatural effects cannot be recorded. She can stop a crowd that is fooled by illusions using a loudspeaker. She could free you from mind control over the telephone or a live radio broadcast. But viewing a DVD of her giving a speech would just be watching a DVD of a woman giving a speech.

In all other respects, Truth has no abilities beyond the common run of whatever is normal for the equipment and physical prowess of the knights.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Knights come with no special equipment and are a baseline human (unless their powers override that, or they are able to get better equipment somehow).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'll second Simon_Jester's.

And if its alright, I'll throw out another, just to keep this thread moving:

Valour.
-The underlying concept should be self-evident. ;)
-She has the power to inspire courage in all who see or hear her (I'm inspired somewhat by Gandalf the White's ability to counteract the fear and despair aura of the Nazgul in The Lord of the Rings). This does not mean that they will become oblivious to danger or completely immune to fear, and she cannot override free will. However, it will make others less likely to succumb to irrational terror.
-She tires or succumbs to injuries at only one fifth the rate she would as a normal human being. She will also heal five times faster.
-She has five times the strength and speed she would as a normal human being.
-Valour is gifted (presumably by whatever force gives the Knights their power- I'm not clear on that) with a very unique sword and shield. The sword has properties roughly similar to Adamantium. The shield has properties roughly equivalent to Captain America's. However, they will possess these properties only when wielded by Valour herself. In the hands of anyone else, they will be merely be an ordinary sword and shield.
-Valour's powers are active only when she if fighting on behalf of the Knights' cause, or to protect herself or another. At all other times, she is an ordinary human woman, albeit a skilled and courageous fighter.
-If Valour uses her powers for self-interested or cowardly purposes, she will lose them, but not permanently.

This is, obviously, much more of a direct combatant than the other two, but I figured that we should have someone who would fill that role, and could serve as a combat leader and champion. Basically, a Knight who better fits the classical image of the heroic knight, aside from the gender flip.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Why a sword and shield? I mean, if you want this girl to be fighting people flying around on motorbikes and flying horses and zapping hordes of people with their evil powers why not give her a magical rifle or something? Like an assault weapon that has no recoil, always hits but can harm no innocents.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Honestly yes; swords make lovely symbolism but for fighting supernatural creatures, you need either really impressive supernatural support... or firepower.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Purple wrote:Why a sword and shield? I mean, if you want this girl to be fighting people flying around on motorbikes and flying horses and zapping hordes of people with their evil powers why not give her a magical rifle or something? Like an assault weapon that has no recoil, always hits but can harm no innocents.
Sounds like the starter for Justice, the blind sniper...

And Truth as radio dj, echoed by broadcaster trucks and planes should keep most of the bikers stymied, at least until they wise up and deafen their followers.
Three of the four horsemen are unopposed.

Still not seconded yet.
Compasdion
Valour
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:Honestly yes; swords make lovely symbolism but for fighting supernatural creatures, you need either really impressive supernatural support... or firepower.
Eh... their'd be nothing stopping her from picking up a gun and using it as effectively as anyone else (probably more so, since the superhuman speed I gave her could extend to superhuman reflexes/coordination).
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Eh... their'd be nothing stopping her from picking up a gun and using it as effectively as anyone else (probably more so, since the superhuman speed I gave her could extend to superhuman reflexes/coordination).
Except the part where these guys fly at the speed of sound.
The Romulan Republic wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Honestly yes; swords make lovely symbolism but for fighting supernatural creatures, you need either really impressive supernatural support... or firepower.
Eh... their'd be nothing stopping her from picking up a gun and using it as effectively as anyone else (probably more so, since the superhuman speed I gave her could extend to superhuman reflexes/coordination).
The issue is more that you are taking this whole effort to create an awesome set of magical weapons that are going to be essentially useless. It's kind of like... why? It's wasted potential on part of the character by having a major aspect be underutilized.

Than again, honestly, the best weapon for fighting these would be something like a 9K22. I mean they are essentially evil fighter jets. So an AA brigade lead by a motivated commander with nullifying/shielding superpowers might be best. So having this girl command an actual military unit might be our best bet.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

How do you intend for her to take commsnd of a unit?
I can see one possible route, but it relies on people mot being beauraxratic assholes.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

madd0ct0r wrote:How do you intend for her to take commsnd of a unit?
I can see one possible route, but it relies on people mot being beauraxratic assholes.
I figure that we'd need some sort of character whose powers are to make people cooperate. Maybe like someone whose main power is to get people to realize they aren't different after all and subtly mold their minds into making their differences look smaller and their similarities larger.

That or take a trip to what ever Soviet success state, 3rd world nation or what ever has access to some AA and a grudge at the guys trying to destroy the world large enough to allow us to lend a single unit of their military during the time it takes to avert a world apocalypse.

Your pick.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

For the latter, id note the knights do not cone with supersonic horses or bikes.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

madd0ct0r wrote:For the latter, id note the knights do not cone with supersonic horses or bikes.
Hence the AA battery. In general I imagine that being able to plant one of those down in the path of the 4 or 6 would be a decent force equalizer. Especially given the sheer amount of AA kicking around the 3rd world. Like, seriously. There is more post Soviet hardware out there than you could eat if each gun was a single rice grain.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Pestilance is the only horseman theyd effect, and im not sure if he would need to fly, except possibly to move between cities.

For the bikers, conquest is inconvieneced, and perhaps pollution would stopped from poisoning farmland at high speed , but widespread aa will only keep them out of the sky, and maybe get a lucky kill before the others realise. Who wpuld you seek to kill first?
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

madd0ct0r wrote:Pestilance is the only horseman theyd effect, and im not sure if he would need to fly, except possibly to move between cities.

For the bikers, conquest is inconvieneced, and perhaps pollution would stopped from poisoning farmland at high speed , but widespread aa will only keep them out of the sky, and maybe get a lucky kill before the others realise. Who wpuld you seek to kill first?
Probably the one that has the most potential to cause massive starvation forever. So pollution. Either that or who ever is closest since being close has its benefit of convincing who ever I loaned these guys from that it was a good investment.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The real question is, is it even going to be possible to localize these guys? If they don't need to eat or sleep they're very mobile. The only one of the enemies who is explicitly described as not having those needs is Death, however.

Trying to intercept their flying vehicles may well be the only way to stop them because they never get off the vehicles. This is especially true for the Bikers, who lose their powers if they get off the bikes, thus removing any real incentive for them to do so if they can avoid it.

That may be another thing we need one or more specialist knights for- just finding these enemies or taking away their mobility so they can be confronted.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Simon_Jester wrote:The real question is, is it even going to be possible to localize these guys? If they don't need to eat or sleep they're very mobile. The only one of the enemies who is explicitly described as not having those needs is Death, however.

Trying to intercept their flying vehicles may well be the only way to stop them because they never get off the vehicles. This is especially true for the Bikers, who lose their powers if they get off the bikes, thus removing any real incentive for them to do so if they can avoid it.

That may be another thing we need one or more specialist knights for- just finding these enemies or taking away their mobility so they can be confronted.
yup, Death ís the only one who does not need to eat and sleep. The others are still humans(unless explicitly otherwise) that require eating, sleeping and toilet breaks. Likewise, the horses are still horses, the bikes are still bikes. Should Famine teleport into the base of a grainsilo, she's probably crushed by the building dropping on hẻr.

Death's combination òf powers actually have given him a huge weakenss. On most of the planet, destroy him and he will reappear on the opposite side ò the planet = falling straight into the sea and having a LONG walk/swim back to shore. Is it overpowered to allow him to use his scythe on himself to trigger a teleport back?
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Not really. Frankly death is not as unkillable as he sounds. Sure he might seem scary but in reality he can be taken down once you figure out just what "other side of the world" means in terms of more or less exact location. All you have to do is kill him and plant a mine field for him to revive into on both sides trapping him in a newer ending revive - blow up - revive loop.

And whilst this will admittedly be much more difficult than it sounds its certainly doable.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm.

If they are essentially mortal creatures, then things get a bit simpler- they need secure bases of operation, which are a vulnerability. Conquest can secure one for the bikers without difficulty, but things are a little trickier for the horsemen.

Also, their horses can be injured, their bikes can be damaged, and it is not obvious that they can be easily healed, repaired, or replaced.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Basically the entirety of this thread before I walked in was focused on trying to undo their effects. But with a lot of these people they can apply evil faster than we can undo it. So I think that instead we should focus on thinning their numbers the best we can either by murdering them or by pining them down somehow and only fixing the damage once they are no longer a factor. Within reasonable limits of course.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The problem has two sides. One is hurting the horsemen and bikers- which is not necessarily that hard. By and large, they have no special supernatural immunity.

The other is even being able to organize an attack on them when half of them have powers like "instantly mind control everyone within line of sight to do XYZ insane things to people."

So you need, at a bare minimum, two or three knights whose only job is to negate mind control, dispel illusions, and so on. One would theoretically be enough but that's a single point of failure, and War and Conquest at least have presumably heard of sniper rifles so it wouldn't be safe relying entirely on one person.

That's where people went first- because there are a lot of ways to hurt bad guys, assuming you can get a shot at them at all. The real trick is being able to defend yourself so it doesn't just turn into a "see who shoots first" situation.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Timeline 0000+1

Pollution cackled. He coasted along at the speed of a light aircraft, great clouds of dust billowing out behind him. 138 miles west of Washington,
almost half way across West Virginia, leaving a trail of poisoned fields and slicked up roads in his wake. The aim wasn't even to ruin all of the fields, or streams. Let them panic, and search and scrape about while the toxins worked their way up the food chain. Ah, he loved the smell of bio-accumulation in the morning. A screech on the road behind him signalled another crash and he circled around to pour oil on the flames.

Colonel Purple stared dubiously at the phone in his hand. "You've been contacted from Nigeria, and you think I need to take this call? Boy, if this is a windup you'll be peeling potatoes from here to Doomsday! WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT'S ALREADY HAPPENED?"

Click. Baldrick's voice was replaced by a different one. Warm and clear and trustworthy, yet with echos of a thunderstorm he'd once seen tear down a canyon. A voice that was friendly, but spoke of the threat should this friendliness be tested. "Colonel, I'm afraid doomsday has indeed started. At this moment, across America, there are six small aircraft flying at the speed of sound, or thereabouts. They may be targeting resources or they may be targeting population centres. If you can bring them down, you will save many lives." The Colonel nodded, he accepted this was his reality. "I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, we will try to save who we can at this end. Good luck Colonel."

A few minutes later an old radar dome, barely dusted since the cold war, creaked out a tale into the ear of an AA missile array that lumbered around, sighing, as it calibrated and readied itself. The base commander was on the phone with the colonel, and after the briefest of arguments, flipped several catches and pressed one red button.

Pollution was gazing over his shoulder (the better to expulse radioactive dust through his own jetstream) when he saw that angry streak in the sky following his looping trail. He barely had time to scream a warning to his brethren before he, and his comet trail of matter, burst into brilliant purple flames. Only two of the other five had been airborn at that moment, and all got to ground safely. Radios roared above their bike engines, as they mourned their brother at the hand of the insolent humans and discussed the form of revenge most suited...