Steve Rogers is now a Nazi

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Steve Rogers is now a Nazi

Post by FaxModem1 »

USA Today

LIFE
'Captain America' reveals a dark secret 75 years in the making

Brian Truitt, USA TODAY
8 hours ago

Marvel Comics
Steve Rogers says two jarring words for every comics fan in the debut issue of "Captain America: Steve Rogers."
SPOILERS: The following contains important plot points from Captain America: Steve Rogers No. 1.

Benedict Arnold may have some unlikely new competition for America’s biggest turncoat.
In the debut issue of Marvel Comics’ Captain America: Steve Rogers out today, the star-spangled superhero of comic books and movies is revealed to be — and always has been — an agent of the evil organization Hydra, a ruthless bunch that Cap’s been fighting since World War II.
It’s a flooring disclosure for the popular character who celebrated his 75th anniversary this year and is currently on the big screen in Captain America: Civil War. But Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort confirms that it’s really Steve Rogers and not some clone, shapeshifting Skrull, Life Model Decoy or a Cap from an alternate universe.

USA TODAY
Has Captain America replaced Superman as the USA's superhero symbol?

In the aftermath of a battle with Baron Zemo in the issue, written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Jesus Saiz, Steve Rogers betrays a fellow hero and says two jarring words: “Hail Hydra.” “We knew it would be like slapping people in the face,” says Brevoort.
And this new status quo might mean turning on others considered friends. “His mission is to further the goals and beliefs of Hydra,” Brevoort says. “If that involves taking down the Marvel universe, sure. (But) it may not be as simple as that. It’s not like he’s exchanged his white hat for a black hat — it’s a green hat.”

Hydra is shown in the new issue as a nefarious group led by the Red Skull that is attracting the disaffected and disenfranchised, especially youth — both in the current day and in the 1920s, when Steve and his mother are recruited.

Marvel Comics
Captain America has been fighting Hydra for most of his 75 years in comics.
While Spencer is definitely “politically aware,” Brevoort says that when they started working on the story, the zeitgeist wasn’t quite what it is today. “Having this go on in the middle of this odd and offbeat and contentious presidential primary process — and all of the stuff going on in the world right now — we guessed right. This in a sense feels more relevant right now than it would have a year ago.”
But the Hydra reveal is part of a much bigger story that began with Sam Wilson being handed the Cap mantle and Steve’s recent rejuvenation via Cosmic Cube. “It will go to some scary and shocking places if it hasn’t already,” Brevoort promises. The second issue of the new comic will lay out a better understanding of what’s happened and how Cap’s worked as this undercover operative, and subsequent chapters will dig into new sides of who Steve Rogers is.

Right now, only readers are in on the secret, and the fact that the most trusted and respected Marvel hero is in Hydra will inform every interaction Cap has in various series, whether it’s with Iron Man or a supervillain.

“Suddenly there’s a whole other wrinkle to all of it,” Brevoort says. “Any cover with Steve Rogers takes on a slightly different dimension because you have information that no one else in that picture has.”
Brevoort’s already receiving passionate emails from fans along the lines of the notes received nine years ago when Steve Rogers was assassinated as part of the Civil War story line.
“The idea of Captain America means something very primal and very strong to the people of this nation, and they have a very visceral reaction when you get to something like that,” Brevoort explains. “You want people to feel and react to your story. So far, so good
Copyright Gannett 2016

Okay Marvel, just what are you doing? Do you even know?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Steve Rogers is now a Nazi

Post by The Romulan Republic »

See, this kind of shit is part of why I don't read a lot of comics and just stick to the relatively safe ground of movies and TV.

Comics continuity is a vast, unwieldy mess with more of an emphasis, it seems, on lame twists, shock value, and exploitation than writing coherent stories. As a some-time writer and someone who places a premium on the narrative, this is highly off-putting to me.

I mean, who the fuck thinks its a good idea to make Captain America a Hydra member? Okay, I suppose I could see it as some sort of likely ham-fisted critique of American imperialism or something, but really? And even that would be crediting this with more intelligence than I'd expect from it.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yes, like the next writer won't reverse this in an instant. Or it will revealed it was meant as infiltration plot all along.

Stupid headline grabbing stuff, not worth considering.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

This will get dealt with in less then 1 year, and be a big twist or something similar, as already stated.

After all, the movies are bigger money makers then the comics. Can't have a massive box office draw turn traitor, can we?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Yeah... there are like a million continuities where characters act contrary to what we've seen for their entire previous histories, so this isn't that surprising. I mean, isn't Jubilee a vampire in the current continuity?
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Stupid headline grabbing boneheaded completely pants on head retarded full retard shit like this is why I and apparently alot of other people have long since stopped reading comics.

This is stupid for some many goddamn reasons including the fact Cap had been Hydra's number 1 enemy that thwarted them at every turn. I guess they meant to get their ass kicked continuously, it was all part of some long convoluted plan 70 years in the making.

Jesus fucking Christ, this would be like someone making a book where Abraham Lincoln or General Sherman was a Confederate despite the former fighting them from its inception and responsible for their downfall (well beyond what the Confederates did to themselves) and the latter having kicked the Confederates ass six ways to South Carolina.

Good damn this is stupid.

I hope Stan Lee marches into the Marvel office and in the name of Jack Kirby slaps the shit out of Nick Spencer and whatever idiot editor approved this.

Also I am way too butthurt about this then I should be.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

...or it could just be a panel where a Hydra agent was mind controlling Cap...
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

No, he is supposed to be a long time Hydra agent. He was supposed to join Hydra in the 20s after his mommy went to a meeting.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

MUTHERFUCKERS! :finger:

This Is BULLSHIT
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

:banghead:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I learned about this from a comment on this picture on DeviantArt. The facepalming Spider-Man is depressingly appropriate for this.

Hopefully, later issues will reveal a Hydra telepath implanted false memories into Steve Rogers' head.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

You know what the most funny thing is? Just earlier today I was contemplating how all the dumbos who were in favor of the avengers being independent of of social/government oversight (captain America side in the civil war movie) would react if captain America or someone else on the team turned against the 'good guys' , or infiltrated the team as a double agent, or as a result did something else stupidly outrageous.

Thanks marvel for the support!

Perhaps marvel is making a statement regarding blind support in the absence of oversight is a dangerous bet.

I am still projecting that the response would be 'na ah!'
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Btw... I don't read the comic books but this appears to be related to captain Americas resurrection, which is how they are getting around the past actions against hydra.

The article states that captain America being a hydra double agent has been planned since his resurrection, so this story line does not appear to just be random headline grab (instead, a planned out headline grab)
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

So don't buy into this and so don't care. The only question is how long until it's revealed to be cosmic cube/skrulls/whatever.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Exactly. I'm not worried. Whatever it is- mind control, clone, alien replacement- it's not the *real* Cap.
Dragon Clan Veritech
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

This shit is why I stopped reading Marvel. Only DC now, which is a shame, because I was a Marvel Zombie back in the 90s.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

Well, Marvel, um... congratulations, or something.

Maximum effort!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

"Captain America is a Nazi sleeper agent" is the kind of high concept premise that I could certainly imagine appeals to executives. Unfortunately for them, being easy to explain does not mean it's not fucking stupid. This is nonsense from a story perspective, it is offensive that a character made by couple of Jewish cartoonists as a "Fuck you" to the Nazis is now being dragged through the mud by this shit-for-brains, and it adds another couple of layers to the problem of comics continuity being an incomprehensible mess because egotists refuse to limit themselves to plotlines that flow naturally from the character and their development.

I still wish that they'd given him a proper send-off when they decided to retire Steve Rogers in favour of Sam Wilson. Steve Rogers did not enlist to fight an eternal war, he signed up to fight the Nazis. After 75 years I think he's entitled to retire from the Avengers and pass the Captain America torch to a worthy successor even if he's still an ubermensch, don't you?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Comic books over the past decades have mastered the tactic of "IN THIS ISSUE, we do something SHOCKING!" and coming up with ridiculous plot twists to justify it. They seem to think it sells comics. In the short run they might actually be correct, but I really doubt it's doing them long-term good.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

“We knew it would be like slapping people in the face,”

YA THINK?

Christ, I remember the shitstorm over Doc Ock secretly being Spiderman a few years back. This makes that look tame and well-thought out in comparison.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And the funny thing is, they never, ever fucking learn. They just keep pulling this shit again and again and again.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

mr friendly guy wrote:This shit is why I stopped reading Marvel. Only DC now, which is a shame, because I was a Marvel Zombie back in the 90s.
DC do exactly the same thing. Look at Batgirl becoming the head of the League of Assassins or Green Lantern going insane in Zero Hour.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Honestly, I think the Marvel and DC executives (and in at least some cases, the writers) should be purged top to bottom. Fire them and replace them.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

jwl wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:This shit is why I stopped reading Marvel. Only DC now, which is a shame, because I was a Marvel Zombie back in the 90s.
DC do exactly the same thing. Look at Batgirl becoming the head of the League of Assassins or Green Lantern going insane in Zero Hour.
I don't read Batgirl. Zero hour was in the 90s. Currently I am mainly into Green Lantern related stuff, Wonder Woman, and Justice League stuff.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

And, this was why I stuck with Grimjack all these years.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford