Steve Rogers is now a Nazi

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Re: Steve Rogers is now a Nazi

Post by Sidewinder »

jwl wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote:
jwl wrote:Oh come on, of course this isn't going to be real. If this wasn't over the internet, I'd bet a lot more than 50p on that. Even if it was intended to be real originally, the next writer is going to retcon it into being mind control or whatever.

I mean, look at those two other examples I gave from DC. Batgirl was drugged by Deathstroke and Green Lantern was possessed by the yellow lantern Parallax entity.
Well, to Originality, the Red Skull brainwashed Steve to be a Nazi back in Tales of Suspense #66-68 in a story by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby no less, back when multi-part stories were rare.

And yeah, if you read Avengers Standoff, it's deep/sublte Mind Control done by the Red Skull (because he has the powers of Charles Xavier thanks to a combination of grave robing and brain surgery). It's definitely temporary and for a deliberate reason.

But that Batgirl incident is a terrible example to use. Deathstroke was NOT the "Plan" in that incident. Not by a longshot. And the writing by comparison was far, far worse.
My point was "even if it was intended to be real originally, the next writer is going to retcon it into being mind control or whatever". Green Lantern wasn't originally supposed to be possessed by the Parallax entity either.
Ah, the infamous "reset button" which Chuck Sonnenburg REPEATEDLY criticized in his reviews of 'Star Trek: Voyager'. This will ensure NOTHING GETS RESOLVED, NO ONE LEARNS ANYTHING, and the TRAGEDY WILL BE REPEATED.

I'm morbidly certain that, after the "Steve Rogers is a Nazi" storyline is resolved, another talentless hack will do a "Steve Rogers is a Communist" story- just to be "edgy," rousing controversy for its own sake- followed by ANOTHER reset, followed by a "Steve Rogers is a Communist Nazi" story, followed by...
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

jwl wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote:
jwl wrote:Oh come on, of course this isn't going to be real. If this wasn't over the internet, I'd bet a lot more than 50p on that. Even if it was intended to be real originally, the next writer is going to retcon it into being mind control or whatever.

I mean, look at those two other examples I gave from DC. Batgirl was drugged by Deathstroke and Green Lantern was possessed by the yellow lantern Parallax entity.
Well, to Originality, the Red Skull brainwashed Steve to be a Nazi back in Tales of Suspense #66-68 in a story by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby no less, back when multi-part stories were rare.

And yeah, if you read Avengers Standoff, it's deep/sublte Mind Control done by the Red Skull (because he has the powers of Charles Xavier thanks to a combination of grave robing and brain surgery). It's definitely temporary and for a deliberate reason.

But that Batgirl incident is a terrible example to use. Deathstroke was NOT the "Plan" in that incident. Not by a longshot. And the writing by comparison was far, far worse.
My point was "even if it was intended to be real originally, the next writer is going to retcon it into being mind control or whatever". Green Lantern wasn't originally supposed to be possessed by the Parallax entity either.
And my point was that such a thing is already in the works without a writer change, at least as near as I can tell.

I could be wrong, Marvel has pulled off similar BS moves before.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Well, that was quick. :mrgreen:

I figured we'd get another two or three issues of Marvel seeing if it'll turn around, but they backed off on the very next issue.

Also, when and how did we get a Korean Hulk?

Oh, it's Cho. Nevermind. I totally see that happening. I figure that'll get changed back sooner or later, but I hope Amadeus gets to keep some Gamma by the time it's over.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Even though I and everyone else already knew they were going to change it back, the question was really how long they run with it, I'm still making a slightly wheezy sigh of relief.

I'm fine with characters changing, getting new traits, even having new people step into the roles. Not a problems with the Miles Morales Spiderman save the fact I get annoyed when he's referred to as the "black" Spiderman both because thats insultingly stupid and he's not black anyway (the "one drop rule" thing annoys the shit out of me, by its logic I'm black and while I wouldn't mind be black considering I'm the palest white bread person ever I'm clearly not black but thats whole other tangent). Female Thor is fine if weird considering the fact Thor is the name of a person and not really a superhero name really, it would be like Miles taking the name of Peter Parker. Hulk that is asian is cool even if I hate his stupid hair.

But a Nazi Steve Rogers is stupid and insulting. Also stupid. Did I mention stupid? It might be vaguely interesting as a "what if" side story or something, Cap so disgusted by the modern world and its chaos that he sees Hydra as the only solution to save the world.

But actual Cap as a Nazi? Nah, that stupid. And it was done stupidly. Despite the fact they said it wasn't mind control, that this was the really Cap and he's been this all along, nope it was just mind control, sorry FALSE MEMORIES by a Cosmic Cube.........that turned into a woman.......what? Well thats stupid.

How is the Marvel cinematic universe and tv shows knocking it our of the park but the comics sucking so terribly? Did like all the talent in the comics be drained vampire style to animate the unholy but entertaining creature that is the MCU?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Nah the talent from comics seemed to been drained long before MCU was a thing or more correctly it's not that don't got good writers but things like these reek of editorial mandate, where some executive said "wouldn't this be a cool idea" without thinking at all about if it's was a good idea.

The funny thing is that "cap is duped into thinking he was a hydra sleeper agent" isn't a bad idea per say but you need to plan and execute it carefully or backlash will be massive and will cost you more then you gained by a rather large margin and everything about this reads like it wasn't planned at all, and execution rather sub par.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Marvel, your audience isn't that stupid. You say it isn't mind-control, but nobody has to believe you. Word of God isn't absolute; even gods can lie. Even Stan Lee can have bad ideas.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong