David Xanatos (of Gargoyles) vs. Iron Man.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

David Xanatos (of Gargoyles) vs. Iron Man.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Thought up another Gargoyles scenario while considering the similarities between one David Xanatos, corporate super villain and scientific mastermind, and Tony Stark.

Essentially, the way I see it, Xanatos is like Stark without the epiphany and with a bit more self-discipline.

So, who comes out on top in a fight?

Scenario one: Xanatos has his gargoyle suite as of season one of Gargoyles. Tony Stark has his suite as of the end of Iron Man (the first film).

Scenario two: As above, except its season two Xanatos just before "The Gathering" and he has the latest models of the Steel Clan robots and Coyote, and its Age of Ultron Tony with his suite from the start of the film and his flock of support robots.

No calling in allies. Both have powerful support they can call in, so let's not level New York ;) (though I think that, short of Owen/Puck getting to unleash his full power or some major time to prepare new tech./magic, Xanatos doesn't have anything that can match the Avengers and SHIELD).
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Re: David Xanatos (of Gargoyles) vs. Iron Man.

Post by FTeik »

In a direct, surprising confrontation, when it comes to fighting against each other in their suites Tony Stark would probably win, since he has the superior suite, although Xanatos might pull a victory since I estimate him to be the better combatant overall.
If he has enough forewarning, that a confrontation with Iron Man is on the horizon Xanatos would devise a/several scenario(s), that would allow him to win before the actual fighting starts.

If Stark and Xanatos can bring in their allies, the confrontation would probably also go to Tony Stark. Xanatos Iluminati-connections might even out SHIELD and his robots and allies from the Pack could deal with the more human members of the Avengers (Hawkeye/Black Widow), but what can he do about the Hulk and Thor (although since Odin is a member of the Third Race in Gargoyles, Thor is probably, too - hello weakness to Iron and Alexander Fox will give his assistance to Daddy, too)?
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Mmm. movie Starks weakness here is his ego, his instinct that he is the best solution. The kibd of man that puts a hulk cage un orbit to slow the hulk and let tony put on a bigger suit to ' solve' the hulk by getting in a fight with him.

Xanato's weakness is love. No. Its intellectual ego, the desire to show off by herding people into complex and expensive plots. So in a straight up fistfight Xanatos feels like he is likely to disengage since theres no plot fun, while Stark wont let him. Should Xanatos then realise that, i see him baiting stark through evermore dangerous situations. Im not sure he'd get to the point of dangling buses of nuns off bridges, he seems to be more Lawful Evil with a little light piracy on the side.

Does his suit get an edge in water?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Iron Man will win Scenario 1.

While the Gargoyle suit is awesome looking, the Mark 3 is faster and has longer flight capabilities.
The Gargoyle suit has 2 wrist blasters IIRC. The Mark 3 has a variety of weapons, and can tank shots from a tank without a problem. It also has anti-tank weapons, and probably a laser blaster.

Scenario 2 goes much the same way. The AOU suit definately has laser weapons on it. I can see Iron Man doing the 'area sweep' on the Steel Clan ala Iron Man 2 vs the Hammeroids.

AOU suits are also post Avengers, meaning they are built with fighting an alien invasion.

It will still go to Iron Man, but he'll have to work for it.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

It seems like Xanatos has better fighting skill in general, but his suit is simply far below what Stark can bring to bear.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Gargolyes wiki on Xanatos's suit:
Xanatos' armor is equipped with rockets on the back and feet which allow him to fly at extremely high speeds, and he maneuvers with razor-sharp wings. There is a particle beam cannon located on the right arm and on one occasion he fired a device from his right shoulder designed to overload and destroy a Steel Clan robot.

Xanatos is able to operate the suit through a combination of an options scroll on his internal visor and internal sensors. He trained a long time to use the suit proficiently, and it's tailored to him specifically.

Xanatos also had an Iron Clan variant of the armor made specifically to combat Oberon. ("The Gathering")

Xanatos also owns a more compact suit of armor that he can conceal beneath an overcoat. This suit allows him enhanced strength, limited flight via a jet-pack on his back and armored talons on his hands. ("Double Jeopardy")
That said, the gargoyles wiki also notes the Steel Clan robots are stupid enough to be tricked into flying into buildings, so I don't think Xanatos has the edge in either fight.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

To quote How It Should Have Ended, "Tank missile!"

Xanatos has way more firepower at his disposal. Shy of Puck being able to work his bullshit, Xanatos doesn't have enough in his armory to do shit. If Puck is allowed to cut loose? Tony doesn't have any friends at that level.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

That said, the gargoyles wiki also notes the Steel Clan robots are stupid enough to be tricked into flying into buildings, so I don't think Xanatos has the edge in either fight.
That only speaks to the poor coding of their AI, and not necessarily any failings in their flight characteristics and/or their flight capabilities are not up to the same level as Xanatos' own suit.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I meant that the Grey Legion would very quickly outwit them :)
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

madd0ct0r wrote:I meant that the Grey Legion would very quickly outwit them :)

I did a quick search, but couldn't find any info about this "Grey Legion" you're talking about.. can you please elaborate. Thanks!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think he meant the Iron Legion.

The point is that the Iron Legion suits, animated by the Jarvis AI, seem intelligent enough to handle themselves autonomously in situations a lot more complicated than "not fly into a brick wall."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Simon_Jester wrote:I think he meant the Iron Legion.

The point is that the Iron Legion suits, animated by the Jarvis AI, seem intelligent enough to handle themselves autonomously in situations a lot more complicated than "not fly into a brick wall."

Oh no doubt. The key, IMO, is that, while not touted as much as the suits, Tony's AIs are a huge part of his genius as well...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

FTeik wrote:In a direct, surprising confrontation, when it comes to fighting against each other in their suites Tony Stark would probably win, since he has the superior suite, although Xanatos might pull a victory since I estimate him to be the better combatant overall.
If he has enough forewarning, that a confrontation with Iron Man is on the horizon Xanatos would devise a/several scenario(s), that would allow him to win before the actual fighting starts.
Xanatos's best chance in a straight fight would be to force Stark to fight him in close quarters, like the fight between Cap. and Iron Man at the end of Civil War, where the maneuverability advantages of his suit are mostly neutralized. Stark's suit will still have superhuman strength, but so does Goliath (that gargoyle can rip through a steel door or stone wall in a matter of seconds with his bare hands), who is also a far more experienced hand to hand combatant than early-series Tony, and Xanatos can match him in hand to hand in the suite (as can the Coyote robots). He'll also have superior weaponry, likely, which is the one technological advantage I think Xanatos can't readily neutralize, though forcing Stark to fight in a confined area (especially one with innocent bystanders around) may force him to hold back and pull his heaviest punches.

If Xanatos can draw Stark into a fight indoors and keep it there, say in a subway or basement, things start looking very bad for Stark, unless (in scenario two) his bots can quickly get the upper hand on Xanatos' bots in such an environment. And Xanatos is definitely clever enough to figure that out, even with little time to do so, and lure Stark into such an environment (like by threatening innocent bystanders).

If you simply had them duel in open air, yeah, Tony almost certainly takes it. But Xanatos would need only basic knowledge of Tony's suite to know that and move the fight to more favourable ground.
If Stark and Xanatos can bring in their allies, the confrontation would probably also go to Tony Stark. Xanatos Iluminati-connections might even out SHIELD and his robots and allies from the Pack could deal with the more human members of the Avengers (Hawkeye/Black Widow), but what can he do about the Hulk and Thor (although since Odin is a member of the Third Race in Gargoyles, Thor is probably, too - hello weakness to Iron and Alexander Fox will give his assistance to Daddy, too)?
I set this pre-Alexander.

The Xanatos tower force field (something even Stark doesn't have around his tower) could likely stall an Avengers assault, it can be bypassed (assaulting from beneath ground, through the basement), and Tony, Hulk, Thor, and hell, possibly Cap. could probably mop the floor with Xanatos's bots and security. For later Avengers, the list gets even longer.

The only serious threat, then, would be if Owen/Puck unleashed his full power. As "The Mirror" showed, he's able to warp reality on a city-wide scale given the right circumstances. Puck vs. all of the Avengers would actually be an interesting fight.