Monkey D. Luffy VS Mr. Bean with the Mask

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Monkey D. Luffy VS Mr. Bean with the Mask

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Mr. Bean comes upon an old discarded wooden mask lying on the ground in a storage area of London's National Gallery, where he works. At the same time Luffy D. Monkey arrives sailing down the Thames, his ship having arrived there in our world via means unknown, in direct pursuit of this fabulous relic. He pulls up to Embankment Pier with his map in hand, tethers the Thousand Sunny to the dock with instructions that all the rest of the Straw Hat Pirates remain on board to guard it, and storms up Northumberland Avenue where he finds a *very* strange man causing pandemonium in Trafalgar Square with the Mask firmly affixed to his face.

Who wins?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Monkey D. Luffy VS Mr. Bean with the Mask

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm. To what extent does the Mask override the personality of its wearer? The Mask persona itself is as different from Ipkiss as can be imagined. Would it even matter that the guy who put the mask on is Mr. Bean, or would the childish, reckless personality of Mr. Bean just be overridden by the (differently) childish, reckless persona of the Mask?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Mr. Bean is already pretty well uninhibited, so that aspect of the Mask is substantially less relevant than the powers it grants.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Sure this is silly now lets take it seriously (ha ha)

I assume the Luffy is the most current Monkey D Luffy post timeskip?

The Mask is powerful and seems to render the user all but invisible but how would it handle Haoshoku Haki? AKA The don't bother me kid superpower which Straw Hat and other One Piece Haki users can simply knock unconscious via shear force of will those without the mental strength to stand up to them. If Mr Bean can't stand up to it (And based on his personality I don't think he can) he will get knocked out instantly fights over.

But lets say he can weather that... does Luffy "win" if he Gomu Gomu no blast Mr Bean off again like Team Rocket into the sunset?

Lets leave that aside, what does Haki do to the wearer of the The Mask since the several things that Haki lets you do is hurt things you normally can't hurt. We see stone arrows breaking apart bricks like they were .50cals thanks to Haki and people using Haki to punch people who are literally lava. Does the Mask wears normal invulnerability apply to something that is based around defeating said invulnerability?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Full disclosure; I know very, very little about One Piece.
Mr Bean wrote:The Mask is powerful and seems to render the user all but invisible but how would it handle Haoshoku Haki?
Haoshoku Haki doesn't appear to affect solid objects very well AFAIK, at least it doesn't blast the earth away underneath it. All the Mask would need to do is rapidly build a brick wall with Looney-Tunes speed in front of himself.
But lets say he can weather that... does Luffy "win" if he Gomu Gomu no blast Mr Bean off again like Team Rocket into the sunset?
Luffy needs to take the Mask off Mr Bean's face AND leave with it to win. Assuming he did get blown into the sunset, and assuming this did take the Mask off of him, Luffy needs to find him before he comes to again, which may not be very long.
Lets leave that aside, what does Haki do to the wearer of the The Mask since the several things that Haki lets you do is hurt things you normally can't hurt. We see stone arrows breaking apart bricks like they were .50cals thanks to Haki and people using Haki to punch people who are literally lava. Does the Mask wears normal invulnerability apply to something that is based around defeating said invulnerability?
A lot of the Mask's power appears to be ex nihilo-ing solid objects into the path of the wearer or simply dodging them with cartoon swiftness. Even if one did connect with him, the only real answer anyone can offer as to whether or not an "invulnerability-defeating" device from one setting can defeat the specific kind of invulnerability from another is "insufficient data."
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

And, does the Mask take the form of a rather large Christmas goose when stuck on Bean's head?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Important question: Is this Movie Mask or Comics Mask? Huge difference in behavior there, in that Comics Mask is a homicidal maniac who can heal from a shotgun blast to the chest without issue and summon all manner of firearms.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

The Mask itself has no personality or agency, it's not the One Ring; it simply removes all of the wearer's inhibitions and arguably magnifies the inhibited character traits in doing so. Part of the reason why I picked Mr. Bean is because while he can be impish and selfish, he doesn't have a murderous bone in his body and we already know what kind of person he'd be if he had no inhibitions.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

1) The Mask - empowered Mr Bean will probably win this due to being basically invincible and a warper of reality.

2) This is the weirdest, most obscure, most batshit Vs. I've ever seen.

3) I now have me a powerful urge to see it realised in the form of fan art. Oh, to be a painter!
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Chimaera wrote:1) The Mask - empowered Mr Bean will probably win this due to being basically invincible and a warper of reality.
The Mask can warp reality, but it is limited by the ambitions and imagination of the wearer, and Mr. Bean doesn't dream of utter domination. He's quite inventive and determined when he needs to be and he detests bullies, so he would have no qualms about using force of some kind to stop and humiliate Luffy, but he will probably fail to take advantage of any opportunity to strike a fatal blow to him. This fight could go on for quite some time due to the limitations both sides have - Luffy in needing to specifically recover the Mask, Mr. Bean in terms of lacking any killer instinct.
2) This is the weirdest, most obscure, most batshit Vs. I've ever seen.
Flattery doesn't work on me. :P
3) I now have me a powerful urge to see it realised in the form of fan art. Oh, to be a painter!
You know where to find me if you ever manage to commission it.