How much is Stan Lee getting for his movie camos"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JamesStaley
Youngling

How much is Stan Lee getting for his movie camos"

Post by JamesStaley »

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know how many $$$'s is Stan Lee getting for 10 seconds of work (if you could call it "work") in all of the Marvel movies? :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2016-05-16 04:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit spelling -- LadyTevar
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Re: ow much is Stan Lee getting for his movie camos"

Post by Dartzap »

12 cans of coke, and a free prostate check up.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

He's so hellishly rich from all his work, he probably does cameos for the hell of it nowadays.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:He's so hellishly rich from all his work, he probably does cameos for the hell of it nowadays.
Largely the situation, from what I understand. He's been doing cameos for a long time, not just Marvel movies-- he even appeared in a Jay and Silent Bob movie (Mallrats, I think). He's got some absurd income from all his Marvel and other comics work, he makes pretty regular appearances at conventions and such (though he announced recently he's going to tone that down as his health is failing), speaking appearances, and all that.

At this point in his life, he pretty much gets to do whatever he wants and just have fun with his remaining years. It's a pretty decent place to be.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:He's so hellishly rich from all his work, he probably does cameos for the hell of it nowadays.
He doesn't need work. Marvel pay him a million dollars a year just to continue existing.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

How much work would he be doing for each of his cameo ?
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I'm guessing he must get paid whatever the minimum union rate is. If only we knew someone whose done work in the extras industry. ....
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Probably just long enough to get in makeup, say his lines a couple times as the cameras get a few useful angles, and then he's out. Probably only on-set for a day.

I do know that he complained he didn't get to stick around for more of the stripper club in Deadpool.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he basically does it as a favour, and the only thing the studio does is cover his costs (driver, any motel stays or flights, meals). The dude is (mostly) a class act, and as noted, he's living large anyway. I could be wrong, of course.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Vendetta wrote:
He doesn't need work. Marvel pay him a million dollars a year just to continue existing.
He was Marvel's chairman of the board at one time, I don't think there's a single current Marvel title that isn't at least partly his intellectual property, and he's probably the company's oldest employee(93 years old?! Fuckin' A!).
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Elheru Aran wrote:I wouldn't be surprised at all if he basically does it as a favour, and the only thing the studio does is cover his costs (driver, any motel stays or flights, meals). The dude is (mostly) a class act, and as noted, he's living large anyway. I could be wrong, of course.
Few times I've seen him at conventions, he's always come off as a class act.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
He was Marvel's chairman of the board at one time, I don't think there's a single current Marvel title that isn't at least partly his intellectual property, and he's probably the company's oldest employee(93 years old?! Fuckin' A!).
He didn't create Angela, the current Captain Marvel, Deadpool, Nova... etc... ;)

But yes, granted, he created a *lot* of stuff for Marvel, and I'm pretty certain he probably still receives residuals from all those.

Kind of shitty what he did to Jack Kirby and a lot of other artists, though (paid them by art done rather than a proper hourly wage, then claimed ownership of the art and characters so they couldn't profit off selling prints, etc). You could say it was a corporate thing by Marvel rather than by Lee personally... but the fact is that Lee was directly in charge at the time and he could've done something about it if he cared, so that ball was in his court at the time and he dropped it. A major blemish on his career which that fellatory graphic-novel biography that came out recently glosses over big-time.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
He's not actually employed by Marvel.

He just has a lifetime million dollar a year salary from them for being Stan Lee.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Vendetta wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
He's not actually employed by Marvel.

He just has a lifetime million dollar a year salary from them for being Stan Lee.
That's one hell of a pension... guess he rates a pretty decent one after everything he did for them, though. The way he tells it sometimes, you'd think he literally brick-and-mortared it from the ground up from the 50s through the 80s...
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: How much is Stan Lee getting for his movie camos"

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Elheru Aran wrote:The way he tells it sometimes, you'd think he literally brick-and-mortared it from the ground up from the 50s through the 80s...
I wouldn't be surprised if he did. :)
Kind of shitty what he did to Jack Kirby and a lot of other artists, though (paid them by art done rather than a proper hourly wage, then claimed ownership of the art and characters so they couldn't profit off selling prints, etc). You could say it was a corporate thing by Marvel rather than by Lee personally... but the fact is that Lee was directly in charge at the time and he could've done something about it if he cared, so that ball was in his court at the time and he dropped it. A major blemish on his career which that fellatory graphic-novel biography that came out recently glosses over big-time.
Unbelievably shitty, and while he wasn't the only one shafting artists and writers like that, it doesn't excuse his actions(or lack thereof), nor do his contributions to both Marvel, and the industry at large balance that out.

I didn't expect the bio to cover that either, when it came out, not as long as Lee was still alive, and still a force at Marvel and the comic-book industry. Perhaps(twenty to thirty years)after he passes, we'll see a more objective biography of him.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Vendetta wrote:He's not actually employed by Marvel.

It makes sense for them to do so. Stan the Man is a living legend, a link to the glory days of comics, the man who invented many of the characters we know and love and influenced plenty of others and really the entire comics book industry.

Lee is a beloved figure head, an icon much in the same way Walt Disney or Colonel Sanders were for their respective brands. You can bet that if either of those men were still alive they'd be given a pretty penny just for existing. Stan is considered a pretty likable guy and isn't exactly stingy about cameoing in movies, tv show, web content, and conventions which probably buys alot of goodwill for Marvel. Even when the comics books are crap, movies and tv shows are rubber eared, green painted shitshows, and the entire company is bankrupt Stan helps show a good public face that people can't really be mad at, maybe helps raise consumer and investor confidence. When things are going well his presence is just icing on the cake.

I just wonder if Hugh Hefner has a similar arrangement with Playboy, if they pay him just to be alive and bang blond bimbos.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I would imagine that part of it is also his and Marvel's desire to kind of "sign" his name on all these MCU projects...
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Elheru Aran wrote: (though he announced recently he's going to tone that down as his health is failing),
According to this link NY Comic-Con will be his final con appearance. Entirely understandable given his age.

I'd really like to see him last until all of the MCU phase 3 movies are done (4 more years give or take). It would be fitting for him to see the entire 'first gen' of the MCU completed and cameo in each. But there's every chance that at some point we'll have to go to a Marvel movie knowing there won't be that cameo in there. :(
Dragon Clan Veritech
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Elheru Aran wrote:Kind of shitty what he did to Jack Kirby and a lot of other artists, though (paid them by art done rather than a proper hourly wage, then claimed ownership of the art and characters so they couldn't profit off selling prints, etc). You could say it was a corporate thing by Marvel rather than by Lee personally... but the fact is that Lee was directly in charge at the time and he could've done something about it if he cared, so that ball was in his court at the time and he dropped it. A major blemish on his career which that fellatory graphic-novel biography that came out recently glosses over big-time.
You know, that WAS the industry standard, and not just at Marvel it was throughout the comic world. Doing the artwork was legally "work-for-hire" and when you do work-for-hire as an artist you do NOT have copyright claim or automatic residuals. Yeah, he could have done things differently but no one else at the time was doing anything different so where was the motivation? Siegel and Schuster went through lawsuit hell from the 1940's onward with DC comics so it was nothing new, and the courts usually sided with the comics industry on ownership rights. That didn't even start to change until the 1970's.

And when I was briefly working in the industry in the 1990's I, too, was paid by the artwork done and not an hourly wage. Again, that is usually how freelance artwork is done (and "independent contractor" was the norm for employment in the industry), and not just in the comics. Unless you're sitting in the company offices with a defined work schedule you aren't an employee in the usual sense of the word, and if you are working a 9-to-5 gig in the company offices you definitely have zero copyright claims under normal circumstances.

It's not that different than all those TV actors who did a gig on a wildly popular series and then got exactly jack from syndication - another thing that didn't start to change until the 1970's, and based on the same principal: the actors were considered work-for-hire with no further claim on what was produced.

While I completely understand the anger and resentment of the artists and writers involved this wasn't some scheme cooked up by Stan Lee and shouldn't be portrayed as such.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Kojiro wrote:But there's every chance that at some point we'll have to go to a Marvel movie knowing there won't be that cameo in there. :(
Either that, or the cameo would be done via picture, as in the Netflix Daredevil where Stan Lee made his appearance as a picture on the wall of the police precinct. In which case his appearances might well continue after his death.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
JamesStaley
Youngling

Post by JamesStaley »

Must be nice, being able to go to work and do a job just for the fun of it and not have to worry about the money! :)

Thought his latest appeareance in Civil Wars where he's a delivery guy looking for "Tony STANK" was funnnn-nyyyyy! :) :)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Dartzap wrote:I'm guessing he must get paid whatever the minimum union rate is. If only we knew someone whose done work in the extras industry. ....
Minimum SAG rates are $150 a day for a non-speaking part, $750 a day if you have a few lines.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

General Zod wrote:
Dartzap wrote:I'm guessing he must get paid whatever the minimum union rate is. If only we knew someone whose done work in the extras industry. ....
Minimum SAG rates are $150 a day for a non-speaking part, $750 a day if you have a few lines.
But since this is Stan Lee we're talking about he might be raking in a few grand per appearance. Or even just doing them for funsies.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
JamesStaley
Youngling

Post by JamesStaley »

Well, it looks like I might actually get the chance to ask him in person! This afternoon (Sunday 5/22/16) my friend Troy called me from Texas & informed that STAN LEE is to be a Guest of Honor at the FanExpoDallas convention in Dallas, Texas in 2 weeks! I was not planning on going to any conventions this summer because I wanted to save the $$$, but since this is close to me (OKC to Dallas - 4 hrs) and it will probably be the only chance in my lifetime to meet him, I'm really thinking of going.

Check out www.fanexpodallas.com for details.

PS: Some "Minor" other guys are supposed to there as well: the guys who played Capt. James Kirk and Chewbacca and Bobba Fett
and R2D2.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

So I may have been off about the wages. I found a SAGAFTRA rate sheet while googling salaries.

http://www.sagaftra.org/files/rate_shee ... a_8_16.pdf