How to portray time control in pre-clock/hourglass eras?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

biostem
Jedi Master

How to portray time control in pre-clock/hourglass eras?

Post by biostem »

In many media, they depict a clock or hourglass as a representation of time control. If a story was taking place in an era or setting that hadn't developed clocks or even hourglasses, how would you visually represent such a power as time manipulation?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: How to portray time control in pre-clock/hourglass eras?

Post by Crazedwraith »

sundials? Or just the rising and setting of the sun.
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

Crazedwraith wrote:sundials? Or just the rising and setting of the sun.
Beat me to it. Movement of the sun/moon/stars, it's what people used to tell time.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Me2005 wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:sundials? Or just the rising and setting of the sun.
Beat me to it. Movement of the sun/moon/stars, it's what people used to tell time.

Would you use a sun and star in the same sky or something? I thinking in terms of a still image, here...
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Only works for time manipulation upwards of a few hours or so. How do you depict time manipulation on the minute/second level?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

water clock

So old their true origin is lost in prehistory. They predate writing.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Broomstick wrote:water clock

So old their true origin is lost in prehistory. They predate writing.

I'm just picturing someone seeing a cup that looks like it's peeing and cracking up, instead of taking the chronomacer seriously.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I just noticed that the article describes 2 types of water clocks - the ones where water flows into the vessel wouldn't fit the description from my previous post.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Exactly what do you have in mind in terms of "portraying" time control? Do you need a purely abstract symbol to represent power over time? Do you need to represent some fixed, known amount of time passing?

Is this a purely realistic setting, or fantastic? Is it really prior to the invention of glassware?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Simon_Jester wrote:Exactly what do you have in mind in terms of "portraying" time control? Do you need a purely abstract symbol to represent power over time? Do you need to represent some fixed, known amount of time passing?

Is this a purely realistic setting, or fantastic? Is it really prior to the invention of glassware?

I'm thinking in terms of:

Fire magic = flame symbol
Ice = snowflake
Water = water droplet or some sort of wave pattern
Earth = a rock/ground pattern
Air = cloud or tornado
Death magic/necromancy = skull
nature/plant magic = leaf/tree/seed

You can portray most "schools" of magic in a pretty simple manner, but some are too abstract for such an easy depiction. How would you portray gravity manipulation in a symbol or seal? How about metal manipulation or, like I mentioned, time?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Point... but is the technology level of the world below that of, oh, ancient Rome?
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Simon_Jester wrote:Point... but is the technology level of the world below that of, oh, ancient Rome?
Well, I'm thinking of an alternate setting where timekeeping isn't really developed. I see your point, but I'm also trying to think of symbolism that doesn't rely on pieces of technology for their portrayal.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Candle burning down?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I seriously doubt candles predate hourglasses leave alone waterclocks.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Why? Candles only require the use of fat or wax or other natural substances, plus a piece of string.

Hourglasses require a fairly precise exercise in glassblowing.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Simon_Jester wrote:Why? Candles only require the use of fat or wax or other natural substances, plus a piece of string.

Hourglasses require a fairly precise exercise in glassblowing.

I think it's more that water clocks are older. I did a real quick search, and it seems candles as we know them came about in ancient China, but the bowl-with-a-hole-in-it style of water clock is older...
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Is there a particular reason time-keeping never developed in this setting?
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Display phases of the sun and/or moon. A waterclock may exist but not be a familiar thing to most people.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

An ourobouros, maybe? Something something control over ends and behinnings?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

A half sun/ half moon symbol. Or just invent a rune and say it stands for "Time " in this culture's language.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Hmm. Early society and small time units only?
Difficult when precise timing tends not to be something that matters much outside of cooking at this level of tech and trade.

I'd go with a drum, or equivalent used for marking the beat.
possibly a heartbeat or an animal associated with stoping and speddibg time. Something like a hummingbird or viper.

For the other two you said. Gravity and metal. Upside down pyramid and hammer respectively
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I like the ouroboros idea.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

madd0ct0r wrote:Hmm. Early society and small time units only?
Difficult when precise timing tends not to be something that matters much outside of cooking at this level of tech and trade.

I'd go with a drum, or equivalent used for marking the beat.
possibly a heartbeat or an animal associated with stoping and speddibg time. Something like a hummingbird or viper.

For the other two you said. Gravity and metal. Upside down pyramid and hammer respectively

Why I appreciate the input, I'm specifically trying to avoid depictions which rely upon using pieces of technology - I can depict fire without needing to go to a candle or lantern, that sort of thing.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The three phases of the moon could work for you, showing a progression through time of the moon in the sky.

IIRC, a lot of ancient civilizations used the moon cycles for a time keeper in that one full cycle would be a 'month' type thing.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Either the Moon's Phases, or a variation on the Seasons. Perhaps a tree with buds, flowers, and fruit at the same time?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet