Game of Thrones Season 6 [Discussion of most-recently aired episodes]

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Re: Game of Thrones Season 6 [Discussion of most-recently aired episodes]

Post by ArmorPierce »

Crazedwraith wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
While I agree it's unlikely Tyrion is a Targaryen bastard. I think it more likely that if R+L=J is true that Lyanna wasn't kidnapped or raped. It would seriously cheapen the twist if Robert was basically right about Rheagar except that his rapings got Lyanna pregnant.

Literally everyone who knew Rheagar in the books other than Robert presents a very different picture of him. And the books have Lyanna be disillusioned with marrying Robert as well.

There's no indication she knew what would happen in the war afterwards. The deaths of her father and brother especially wouldn't have been predictable. (Again, unless the show differed greatly from the books here)
It can be contended that it would cheapen the plot twist but it also can be contended that her willingly running off cheapens the war,the lives of her family, and thousands of others who died trying to save her. It would make her a horrible person... and the entire events that transpired could have been avoided.

You keep saying that as if it logically follows. But it does not. There's no reason to hold Lyanna responsible for the rebellion, she probably didn't expect it to start. Even knowing Robert. And even if it ruins the character for you. It's not like ASoIaF doesn't have plenty of other characters doing things with massive consequences without thinking.

There's likely even more to the situation than we know. In flashback Rheagar indicates he thinks his first son is the Prince that was Promised. It seems likely that this actually Jon, his son by Lyanna. (or Dany) So this and other stories indicate a certain amount of 'because prophecy says so' that Lyanna may or may not have bought into.

Sorry for book stuff but aside from S1+2 of GoT its all I've got.
It certainly does logically flow. It is irresponsible to run off and allow everyone to think that you are abducted as a daughter of a high lord. It is foolish to believe that there would be no rpercussions for doing so and not to exert any effort to communicate her intentions once conflict began. It would conflict with the depiction of her as an honorable stark. Actions have consequences.

It's not that it would ruin the character for me, it's that it doesn't make sense based on what we do know of the character and the supposed evidence not supporting it. It does not match with what I've observed as the intent of the author for the nature of this character. Additionally, it doesn't really matter to the story whether it was rape. It matters less than Jon being a bastard if forced marriages is a thing.

Rheager believing in a prphecy does not support lyanna willingly running off with him. If anything it lends motivation for Rheager to abduct lyanna due to him genuinely believing he had good reason to do so.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Simon_Jester wrote:I was more thinking in terms of Aerys being, well... insane, and it being totally in character for him to demand that Tywin keep baby Tyrion alive as a way of screwing him over. Since this is essentially the same thing Aerys did by recruiting Jaime into the Kingsguard.
Frankly, I can't imagine that Tywin wouldn't raise his banners and go for Aerys's head if Aerys really did rape his wife and Tywin knew about it. That's the sort of thing Tywin wouldn't be able to tolerate on multiple levels.
Pelranius wrote:I always thought that if Aerys did have kids with Joanna, it'd be Jaime and Cersei.
I've heard that theory and even liked it for awhile, but people have checked the dates and the timeline just doesn't work for Aerys to be Jaime and Cersei's father.

It is at least logistically possible for Tyrion to be a secret Targ, but see above for my opinion on that.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Rheagar is called the perfect knight by people who knew him, yet he's also the guy who won a tournament and gave the crown to Lyanna instead of his own wife. He is clearly not the perfect knight where Lyanna is concerned. Did he abduct her or did she they run away together? Did she go willingly, resist, or want to go but objected out of duty? Did she love him, hate him, both or something in between? Plenty of room for argument about that.

What we do know is that the people who liked Rheagar have nice things to say about him that don't take into account his very public obsessive interest in a woman who wasn't his wife. Lancelot wasn't the perfect knight either.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

NecronLord wrote:Additional: that I could get behind, because there's dialogue for that. ("In their iron suits!")
https://youtu.be/xAibbSOlGZ4?t=37s

Nother scene as well
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.