The Hundred Season Three (The 100)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The Hundred Season Three (The 100)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Hopefully there's not a thread about this series, but as both halves of the name are just 3 letters long it doesn't show up in the search function! :banghead: Does anyone here watch the show?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Hundred Season Three (The 100)

Post by Iroscato »

I saw the trailers when it was first getting going. It didn't really grab me. Is it worth checking out? A lot of classic shows were fairly awful in their first seasons, to be fair.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Isn't it yet another young adult dystopian stetting? What separates it from The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I've been watching it, and while it does have a bit of the relationship stuff, it mostly focused on the politics and relations between a society growing up on a space station and the tribal nations of those who exist after a nuclear war. The first season focuses on the teen juvenile penal colonists warring against the locals while station politics on who can go to Earth.

The second season deals with tribal/grounder relations with 'Skycrew'/the spacers who have come to settle Earth. While it's also revealed that the descendants of the US government is in a bunker, and the relations with them as well as the lead up to a war between the three parties.

The third, so far, has focused on Skycrew and the Grounders, with people on both sides wanting war, and people on both sides trying to make peace.

There's also the major revelation that: Spoiler
the AI Alie, met in the season 2 finale, was the one who caused the nuclear war, dye to her flawed programming to lessen human pain and protect humanity, and had the problem 'too many people', so she solved overpopulation with nuclear fire.
So, the third season is people of various factions trying to keep the peace while also dealing with a cult worshipping the AI Alie, who 'takes away their pain' and had a place for them in the 'City of Light'.

Honestly, it's probably the best show on the CW, though that might be considered damning by feint praise.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

There used to be a thread about it back when it first came around, and why is this in FAN when 'The 100' is clearly a SciFi topic?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Batman wrote:There used to be a thread about it back when it first came around, and why is this in FAN when 'The 100' is clearly a SciFi topic?
No idea, especially since Agents of SHIELD is in Scifi, and it's much more fantastic than the 100 when it comes to science.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I watch it and I think it is good. They've made a steady progression from just the kids in season one, to current situation. It is not complicated and you can see exactly where it is going, but the characters are solid and you care about them.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

FaxModem1 wrote:
Batman wrote:There used to be a thread about it back when it first came around, and why is this in FAN when 'The 100' is clearly a SciFi topic?
No idea, especially since Agents of SHIELD is in Scifi, and it's much more fantastic than the 100 when it comes to science.
I was in two minds about that, I guess that because it spans five genres I dropped the ball on that one. If need be we can ask a mod to move it... :oops: To be fair, the first season was set both in space and the surface, and subsequent seasons are set on the ground.
A lot of classic shows were fairly awful in their first seasons, to be fair.
It's a long-recognised phenomenon, best described here:
Early installment weirdness
Spoiler
Skycrew made a bad move in electing a bloodthirsty maniac in the form of Pike as a leader, who has already carried out several acts of war. It didn't escape my notice that the guy who played Felix Gaeta in nBSG (Alessandro Juliani) is one of three dissenters who were condemned to death but managed to escape with help of the others. As if slaughtering 300 grounders wasn't messed up enough, Pike blowing Lincoln's brains out was him crossing the moral event horizon. Killing off Lexa was a controvertial move, which they seemed to balance by revealing a male gay couple at around the same time. Not to mention her potential successor had most of the other potential leaders beheaded.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: Spoiler
Skycrew made a bad move in electing a bloodthirsty maniac in the form of Pike as a leader, who has already carried out several acts of war. It didn't escape my notice that the guy who played Felix Gaeta in nBSG (Alessandro Juliani) is one of three dissenters who were condemned to death but managed to escape with help of the others. As if slaughtering 300 grounders wasn't messed up enough, Pike blowing Lincoln's brains out was him crossing the moral event horizon. Killing off Lexa was a controvertial move, which they seemed to balance by revealing a male gay couple at around the same time. Not to mention her potential successor had most of the other potential leaders beheaded.
To be fair to Skycrew, just the previous season, the Grounders betrayed them in their hour of need. And while Lexa grew to trust them, other Grounders on the council seemed to despise them.

Doesn't matter though, Pyke is a clear example of a bad populist leader being elected.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

FaxModem1 wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: Spoiler
To be fair to Skycrew, just the previous season, the Grounders betrayed them in their hour of need. And while Lexa grew to trust them, other Grounders on the council seemed to despise them.

Doesn't matter though, Pyke is a clear example of a bad populist leader being elected.
Thank mt. weather for that one, offering to release grounder hostages in exchange.

Well it looks like Pyke is in the hands of the grounders, thanks to a Batman Gambit on the insurgents part. Now that Arcadia has fallen to the City of Light, with only Abby worth saving they're as vulnerable as they're going to get. And if the woman who killed most of the other heirs (I forget her name) gets her way, wiping them out is going to be top of her agenda.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Pike is a distraction while the religious nuts gain a hold and Clarke positions herself as both Ground Kru and Sky Kru savior with the second AI. The only question is how far they take the meme and if Clark survives? It's quite possible that Bellamy will pick up the slack of Supreme Chancellor/Commander with the AI after Clarke takes on and kills the AI and her genocidal plan.

And not to be picky, but it's Kru from the subtitles.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, revelations this episode:

Everyone in Polis is now either a follower of Alie, rotting in a dungeon, or hanging on a cross. Meanwhile, we have a new faction, one that lives on an oil rig. I wonder how technological they are.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I have gotten into this series just now and there is one thing I really like about it: This shows follow through. Deus ex machina? Nope, you go die now. I really like it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I like the characters and the world building. Some times the plot is iffy and it can be corny as fuck but all and all I like it.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, revelations this episode:

Everyone in Polis is now either a follower of Alie, rotting in a dungeon, or hanging on a cross. Meanwhile, we have a new faction, one that lives on an oil rig. I wonder how technological they are.
The follower thing was revealed at the end of the previous ep. Looks like the UK is 2 eps behind as we've only just seen the oil rig part. I did notice it was alluded to in the opening credits so it wasn't a total surprise.

It was quite a few eps since we saw Pyke's fate, and it was fitting the warrior woman got to cut him up- couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. It's probably better in the long term that Murphy stopped her- Pyke would have been dead from blood loss long before she got to the 300 mark, and she'd have been at it a long time! :twisted:

The whole crucifixion of Kane was pretty weird, and the whole "threaten someone he cares about" is as clichéd as it gets, just to get him to take the key. It didn't escape my notice that it was the exact same way that Abby herself was turned- they're getting more and more like the Borg Collective. It's just as well that Kane didn't know where the others were going- right now they're the only hope.

Of course it was never going to be that easy to convince the one surviving heir to take command, at least she didn't do something stupid like destroy the AI chip 8)
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Well this week's episode couldn't have gone any worse- everything that could have gone wrong, did. Skycrewc fell for the oldest trick in the book twice by allowing an entity under the the control of the Bitch In The Red Dress to distract them and stall for time and they fell for it hook line and sinker.

The oil rig crew turned out to be a dead end, clearly they're going to be no help whatsoever. The few humans not under AI control escaping is the only good news.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

The had me hook, line, and sinker until they crashed the space station and most of the main cast survived. After that, The 100 and I were not friends anymore.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Watching the season finale on Hulu. I always wondered how a Shadowrun campaign would look in real life.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

FaxModem1 wrote:Watching the season finale on Hulu. I always wondered how a Shadowrun campaign would look in real life.
Was quite a good ending- it was a given that regardless of what actions Pyke took to redeem himself, that guy crossed the moral event horizon the moment he massacred the grounder peacekeepers. Him blowing Lincoln's brains out was the icing on the cake. One thing I wasn't sure of, did the black warrior woman die in the explosion in the penultimate episode? She was last seen saving ZombieKane.

The reasons the AI gave to stall for time had me confused, was she referring to some prewar nuclear power plants that were in the process of meltdown and only she could prevent such a disaster?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Watching the season finale on Hulu. I always wondered how a Shadowrun campaign would look in real life.
Was quite a good ending- it was a given that regardless of what actions Pyke took to redeem himself, that guy crossed the moral event horizon the moment he massacred the grounder peacekeepers. Him blowing Lincoln's brains out was the icing on the cake. One thing I wasn't sure of, did the black warrior woman die in the explosion in the penultimate episode? She was last seen saving ZombieKane.

The reasons the AI gave to stall for time had me confused, was she referring to some prewar nuclear power plants that were in the process of meltdown and only she could prevent such a disaster?
No, her plan boiled down to preserving humanity's consciousness in the City of Light servers due to all humans dying in six months due to the nuclear meltdowns worldwide making it impossible for any humans to survive anywhere on Earth. In the 100 future, nuclear power facilities are apparently on every populated continent before humanity was killed by nuclear missiles. A century of neglect and nuclear war damage is enough to make them go boom, apparently. Assuming that Alie wasn't lying, of course.