Doctor Strange Teaser

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Strange Teaser

Post by FSTargetDrone »

It was just put out a few hours ago:

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Strange Teaser

Post by Elheru Aran »

Oh... Shit.

That looks *awesome*. What little they show, anyway.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The teaser doesn't really impress me, but its interesting that Marvel's getting into more outright magical stuff.

Is it strange, though, that I'm more excited about the fact that Chiwetel Ejiofor is in this than the fact that Cumberbatch is starring in it?
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

As a teaser it works really well, lets you see the direction their going without spoiling anything, like Winter Soldier showing the ending.
The only problem is I now have to make it to November without seeing any more.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

The Romulan Republic wrote:The teaser doesn't really impress me, but its interesting that Marvel's getting into more outright magical stuff.

Is it strange, though, that I'm more excited about the fact that Chiwetel Ejiofor is in this than the fact that Cumberbatch is starring in it?
Yes. Yes it is.

Oh god, I couldn't help myself, I'm so sorry :(
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Get out.

On a serious note, I'm quite excited by this, even though I know precisely nothing about the character it looks fun. Plus, Cumberbatch is usually awesome, and he does a remarkably convincing American accent.

At the least I can reassure myself by remembering that the MCU hasn't yet produced a film I didn't at least enjoy watching.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

What I'm waiting is what sorcerer supreme outfit will look in proper lighting and from the front aka how will they make it that looks sort of like the comics but at same time doesn't look like a cheap "wizard" halloween costume.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Lord Revan wrote:What I'm waiting is what sorcerer supreme outfit will look in proper lighting and from the front aka how will they make it that looks sort of like the comics but at same time doesn't look like a cheap "wizard" halloween costume.
Might just be the bad lighting in that brief clip, but it doesn't seem to have the massive collar that ought to do the wearer a mischief if he turns his head too quickly.

OK, I'm sufficiently intrigued. The teaser seems to hit all the origin elements I can remember from what little I've read of the character; I wonder, though, is this going to be all origin story, or will there be more than that?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Lord Revan wrote:What I'm waiting is what sorcerer supreme outfit will look in proper lighting and from the front aka how will they make it that looks sort of like the comics but at same time doesn't look like a cheap "wizard" halloween costume.
You mean a shot like this?

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Broomstick wrote:
You mean a shot like this?

*snip Pic*
that does look like a nice blend of the classic look and the need to not look totally silly. Admitbly MCU has been quite good at replicating the basic look of the characters in a way that doesn't look totally goofy and out of place in a "realistic" setting and isn't monochrome or so dark it might as well be.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: On a serious note, I'm quite excited by this, even though I know precisely nothing about the character it looks fun. Plus, Cumberbatch is usually awesome, and he does a remarkably convincing American accent.
Almost unrecognisably so. I do hope the role gives him room to work and show acting beyond 'aloof (most often evil) British guy' which he is well capable of.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I would like to see more of the fractal backgrounds before I make a judgement. I'm no Strange fan but I do know that making some white guy's idea of occult postures in front of panels and panels of trippy Lovecraft-meets-McKenna tracer orgies is the comics' visual bread and butter, and probably the single most interesting thing that would distinguish it from the other Marvel films.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Crazedwraith:

"Saturnine wizard" does make a good stepping stone between "playing the bad guy" and "playing the good guy." You need a lot of the style and mannerisms used by a cultured, dignified bad guy to do the role properly.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Simon_Jester wrote:Crazedwraith:

"Saturnine wizard" does make a good stepping stone between "playing the bad guy" and "playing the good guy." You need a lot of the style and mannerisms used by a cultured, dignified bad guy to do the role properly.

Yeah I thought afterwards, he'll probably still by playing cultured, dignified for a lot of it. He'll start of the aloof arrogant surgeon. Damage his hands, be a bit more human for a bit and get rebuilt as an aloof saturnine wizard. Just hope they didn't hire him to play Sherlock with magic powers and an American accent.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Some blatant Nolan rip off going on in this Teaser ... and I'm fine with it. What is interesting is that Disney/Marvel are putting this up against WB's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them which is brave.

For clarity; I will be seeing both in the cinema.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Box office wizards' duel! :D
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Box office wizards' duel! :D
Kinda wish they spaced them out, people's money is going to be tight around the holidays and this could hurt one of the movies (which could have been entirely avoided). Not that Disney and WB want to do each other any favours mind, but think of the people! :lol:
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Crown wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Box office wizards' duel! :D
Kinda wish they spaced them out, people's money is going to be tight around the holidays and this could hurt one of the movies (which could have been entirely avoided). Not that Disney and WB want to do each other any favours mind, but think of the people! :lol:
I imagine both will have plenty of momentum to breeze past half a billion each, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I'm really liking the look of this - once again, I was wondering how they were going to translate the costume of a character to film, and once again I have been pleasantly surprised :)

Plus the weird, trippy shit looks to be handled well also...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Looks like they've cast Tilda Swinton, possibly the second-whitest person on the planet, as the Tibetan Ancient One, mentor of Dr. Strange. #ofcourse
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Terralthra wrote:Looks like they've cast Tilda Swinton, possibly the second-whitest person on the planet, as the Tibetan Ancient One, mentor of Dr. Strange. #ofcourse
You're not serious are you :?:
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

A-ha! Perhaps the Tibetan Ancient One only looks like that because of your narrow perceptions! (j/k)

I have no idea why they would do this: I'm hoping the Ancient One's appearance is a reflection of Strange's self-concept, and is eventually revealed to be a 500 year-old Tibetan man.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Terralthra wrote:Looks like they've cast Tilda Swinton, possibly the second-whitest person on the planet, as the Tibetan Ancient One, mentor of Dr. Strange. #ofcourse
It's not like Marvel isn't used to racebending. Mordo isn't an English black person of Nigerian derivation in the comics, after all, and there's the whole thing with Heimdall.

One suspects there aren't a lot of pruney Tibetian actors readily available to their casting department... they're concerned more with performance than race. They're gender-bending as it is to start with. Suggests that they're taking a different approach with the cinematic version of the Ancient One than the comics did.

EDIT: Hell, they even hired a racially appropriate actor for the character of Wong:

They seem to have put some thought into casting, so I wouldn't be too quick to disparage their choice.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Racially appropriate? They hired a guy named "Wong" to play Wong.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Broomstick wrote:Racially appropriate? They hired a guy named "Wong" to play Wong.
Ain't that a hell of a thing, yeah. One hopes the name didn't have that much to do with their selection of the actor.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Given Marvel's track record I doubt it, it's just that Wong is a fairly common surname among certain ethnic groups. Sort of like Smith or Patel or Kowalski.