Doctor Strange Teaser

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Strange Teaser

Post by ray245 »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Racially appropriate? They hired a guy named "Wong" to play Wong.
Ain't that a hell of a thing, yeah. One hopes the name didn't have that much to do with their selection of the actor.
It's not like they have a huge list of Asian actors to chose from. Benedict Wong is one of the very few renown Asian actors around.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Or they could have hired a relative unknown with some talent. I'm sure Hollywood has a few of those.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well, from IMDB he's not *that* 'unknown'. Mostly TV work, though he did have a small role in The Martian (JPL guy) and some other films. Certainly not a household name by any means; it would've been rather cliche and a bit of a waste of talent if they hired, say, Jet Li for the role. Not that I know whether Jet Li is greatly talented or not... apart from his martial arts work, I don't recall seeing him do much drama. The role of Wong is more sidekick/bodyguard/attendant than anything else, and it appears that the focus of the film will be Strange, Mordo, and the hitherto unseen villain (unless that's him in some of the more mind-screwy scenes).
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Terralthra wrote:Looks like they've cast Tilda Swinton, possibly the second-whitest person on the planet, as the Tibetan Ancient One, mentor of Dr. Strange. #ofcourse
I thought I saw somewhere that the reason behind this is that China would be kinda ban-happy if they cast an actual Tibetan, but I have no idea if there is any veracity to these claims. I also do not claim that if this is accurate it makes it right to do. But, China is a pretty damn big market so I can at least see logic behind not wanting to lose access.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Elheru Aran wrote:Well, from IMDB he's not *that* 'unknown'. Mostly TV work, though he did have a small role in The Martian (JPL guy) and some other films. Certainly not a household name by any means; it would've been rather cliche and a bit of a waste of talent if they hired, say, Jet Li for the role. Not that I know whether Jet Li is greatly talented or not... apart from his martial arts work, I don't recall seeing him do much drama. The role of Wong is more sidekick/bodyguard/attendant than anything else, and it appears that the focus of the film will be Strange, Mordo, and the hitherto unseen villain (unless that's him in some of the more mind-screwy scenes).
You get a good enough view of his face to see that that is Mads Mikkelsen.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lost Soal wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Well, from IMDB he's not *that* 'unknown'. Mostly TV work, though he did have a small role in The Martian (JPL guy) and some other films. Certainly not a household name by any means; it would've been rather cliche and a bit of a waste of talent if they hired, say, Jet Li for the role. Not that I know whether Jet Li is greatly talented or not... apart from his martial arts work, I don't recall seeing him do much drama. The role of Wong is more sidekick/bodyguard/attendant than anything else, and it appears that the focus of the film will be Strange, Mordo, and the hitherto unseen villain (unless that's him in some of the more mind-screwy scenes).
You get a good enough view of his face to see that that is Mads Mikkelsen.
OK then. I wanted to say he might be a new MCU version of Dormammu, but Wikipedia suggests that he's another sorcerer opposed to the Ancient One (which doesn't mean that he can't be Dormammu in disguise, of course). I suspect that the primary antagonist might be Nicodemus West. More likely, Mordo and West might combine their forces after Mordo attacks the Ancient One, or West is simply going to be a named background character, similar to the evil Senator in Iron Man 2 who had a minor role in Ant-Man.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:
Terralthra wrote:Looks like they've cast Tilda Swinton, possibly the second-whitest person on the planet, as the Tibetan Ancient One, mentor of Dr. Strange. #ofcourse
I thought I saw somewhere that the reason behind this is that China would be kinda ban-happy if they cast an actual Tibetan, but I have no idea if there is any veracity to these claims. I also do not claim that if this is accurate it makes it right to do. But, China is a pretty damn big market so I can at least see logic behind not wanting to lose access.

Confirmation from the writer (sorta)
Screenrant wrote:Marvel’s words come on the heels of Doctor Strange’s co-writer C. Robert Cargill appearing on an episode of the Double Toasted podcast this week where he was asked about The Ancient One’s change in ethnicity. Cargill was asked why the character in the movie is a Celtric white woman instead of a Tibetan man and he explained that this was a decision made before he joined the project, but that it was “Marvel’s Kobayashi Maru,” an unwinnable scenario.

He explained that they couldn’t realistically touch the Tibetan origins – or substitute another Asian background – because of the political issues it could cause with China, the studio’s second largest market, and a region where Disney is building a theme park which will feature a section dedicated to Marvel. So instead they took the opportunity to introduce another major female character, one who just so happens to be white.
Now, I'm not fully read up on the 2016 progressive stack of privilege, but does a borderline albino vajayjay rank higher than a cis gendered male minority? I don't know how to be outraged about this, need someone to tell me. :lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Given the dearth of major comic characters that are either female or non-white I'd say casting either one in the role was fine if "Asian" was no longer acceptable for some reason.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Broomstick wrote:Given the dearth of major comic characters that are either female or non-white I'd say casting either one in the role was fine if "Asian" was no longer acceptable for some reason.
I appreciate you gave my obvious mirth-filled question a thoughtful and reasoned response ... I'm being sincere. :wink:
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

On the one hand, "Racebending! Triggered!" On the other, the horribly X-phobic White Ciscum Hollywood is being subservient to the demands of a PoC country. Call it a wash on the Social Justice meter.

:P

What I'm curious about is which other Marvel character from the MCU will make an appearance, if any, and whether it'll be a simple cameo or play a bit more substantial role in the plot (like Falcon in Ant-Man).
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I think they could have avoided this negative backlash if they went full crazy racebending with the casting and had someone like Aishiwara Rai cast as the Ancient One.

"But the Ancient One is Tibeten!" vs. "Casting a visible minority woman in a prominent role."

The backlash would easily implode.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

China is a more important market than the SJWs anyway. Heck within 1-2 years China is predicted to have a bigger film market than North America (ie US and Canada which tends to be counted together for some reason, but not Mexico).

That being said, it seems to be they are afraid China might react negatively, rather than China actually saying they will react negatively. I can't see how casting a Tibetan in and of itself is a problem for China, since you know, China actually (shock, horror) promotes Tibetan films starring Tibetans who are PRC citizens and have Tibetan celebrities. Now a Tibetan actor who advocates separatism is another matter, but then China will react negatively to anyone advocating that.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

There may have been a problem getting a Tibetan actor, who lives in the West, who ISN'T a separatist.

As for Race-bending Celtics.... if you want to stretch it, they have found Caucasian-ethnic people buried in the Asian steppes. Some of them are very well-preserved, to the point of having red hair and tattoos, which we have heard from Roman historians was something the Celtic tribes did. There are links between Sanskrit and Gaelic, which was the first suggestion of links between the India/Tibet plateau and Celtic tribes. Celtic tribes also gave women equal political and social power as men.
So... as I said, stretch it, and there is an excuse for a "Celtic Matriarch" to be the Ancient One.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

trailer 2 released
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2016-07-26 12:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You have to remove the "s" in https -- Lady Tev
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

No, trailer 2 wasn't released, it ripped the bars out of its cage and escaped. :wink:

I think I might have to watch this one, whether in the cinema or on DVD, just out of curiosity.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'll watch it in theaters because it's a Marvel movie, about one of my favorite characters, with Cummberbund, and the FXs look wicked.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

LadyTevar wrote:I'll watch it in theaters because it's a Marvel movie, about one of my favorite characters, with Cummberbund, and the FXs look wicked.
I'll watch it too, but I'm afraid it's gonna get buried by Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (as per my earlier post).
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crown wrote:I'll watch it too, but I'm afraid it's gonna get buried by Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (as per my earlier post).
The first weekend it will be close, as Marvel and Harry Potter have a lot of cross-over in the fan base. My guess would be parents with children will more likely hit "Beasts", because Potterverse is more kid-friendly. Males between 18-30 will be the main audience for Dr. Strange, and us women will most likely break even between them. The real tie-breaker would be which movie is considered the better "Date Movie" for the 18-25 crowd.

Most likely, I'll be seeing Dr Strange first, then Beasts if I have the money. If I'm damn lucky, one of the drive-ins will see the potential profit and do both as a double-header.