Implications of mutant creation process from Deadpool (Spoilers!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

biostem
Jedi Master

Implications of mutant creation process from Deadpool (Spoilers!)

Post by biostem »

From what I remember, Ajax/Francis injected Wade with some serum that "did something" to his x-genes, then subjected him to all sorts of traumas to try and awaken or activate some mutation. Given this:

1. Was it ever specified that the subject would need to actually have the x-gene present in the first place, or did the drug take care of that, (maybe everyone actually has at least a few x-genes or the drug contained them)?

2. If this process could create someone as strong and durable as Angel Dust, I can only assume that the majority of patients gained abilities which they could routinely control, (otherwise there'd be too many failures for the process to be profitable).

3. Given that they were basically dealing in human trafficking, I assume that Ajax's group basically only cared about delivering the mutant to the buyer, and it was up to the buyer to keep them under control from that point on - so either the shock collars were really reliable, the mutants they sold were only of modest power, or they just didn't delve into those mutants escaping, being freed, or otherwise improving their situation.

4. It seemed that Wade took a lot more extreme measures to trigger his transformation, given how Ajax reacted. I wonder what kind of turn-around their facility has, in terms of creating mutants. I, of course, assume that there will be some "wash-outs", but Francis at least seemed perturbed that it too so long to change Wade... so it must be a pretty high success rate.

5. Was there any information presented as far as how Francis' organization can avoid having to deal with missing person's reports - they aren't really a government organization, so it's not like they could just say that the person died - even if they could, the lack of any bodies would draw attention to themselves. Perhaps they're just well connected?

6. Lastly - Let's say that you wouldn't be made a slave afterward, and without knowing just how many "sessions" it would take to trigger a transformation, nor knowing what specific powers you'd get, would you subject yourself to the process?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Implications of mutant creation process from Deadpool (Spoilers!)

Post by LadyTevar »

Fuck Yeah I'd submit to the process!

Who doesn't dream of having abilities others don't? Who hasn't dreamed of being able to ignore punches, to lift cars, to be Superman? I know I have. But, there's another side to this: The company were looking at people who were either terminally ill, down on their luck, or otherwise in need of "a miracle", and ready to believe Francis could deliver. With my job situation right now, I'd jump at it too.

Hell, Nitram would have jumped, for the same reasons Wade did, because he wanted to be healthy and spend the rest of his life making me happy
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Unless of course you wind up with an unpleasant power, like Rogue, or your appearance changes to look like Deadpool or Beast.

The idea of potentially being a monster gives me entirely too much pause.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I'd be fine with being like Rogue or Dudepeel. I don't like being touched anyway and if I could get away with it I'd wear a mask all the time right now. Going around all day as a costumed hero, only having to touch people when I slap the shit out of a bad guy (and that would be my primary move, bitch slapping motherfuckers who don't respect my authority) sounds like a dream come true.

My main problem is the fact the procedure seems like a crapshoot, you never know what powers you might get. Could get super strength and invincibility or you could get the ability to command tumble weeds or perhaps the ability to travel through telegraph lines. Or the the hug of death spike powers of that douchebag from X3.

Maybe the abilities going to my head would give me pause but I'd like to think I'm a good enough person that I'd not turn into a monster. I'm an asshole but not enough of an asshole that I'd go around hurting innocent people. Even criminals I'd try not to hurt, I know most criminals aren't bad people but just people through bad circumstances wound up doing bad things.

But goddamn I'd hope I wouldn't get shitty powers. I know I'd get something stupid like the ability to talk to fish and all they say is "eat food" or the power of never getting drunk when I don't drink alcohol.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'd take it. To answer your first question though: I'm fairly sure that Francis said, while explaining the serum that "it would activate any mutant genes you had," so either most people have inactive mutant genes or the organisation has some way of detecting them beforehand.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

biostem wrote:1. Was it ever specified that the subject would need to actually have the x-gene present in the first place, or did the drug take care of that, (maybe everyone actually has at least a few x-genes or the drug contained them)?
I don't recall it being mentioned. The primary motivation for selecting Wade seemed to be his need for the treatment. That he had training was probably a bonus.
2. If this process could create someone as strong and durable as Angel Dust, I can only assume that the majority of patients gained abilities which they could routinely control, (otherwise there'd be too many failures for the process to be profitable).
It's hard to say, but in terms of strength and durability Angel Dust is up there with Colossus, so she's on the higher tiers. Given there's only one of her for an operation that appears to be 24/7- and a patient could mutate at any time like Wade- I'd wager she's more an exception than the rule.
3. Given that they were basically dealing in human trafficking, I assume that Ajax's group basically only cared about delivering the mutant to the buyer, and it was up to the buyer to keep them under control from that point on - so either the shock collars were really reliable, the mutants they sold were only of modest power, or they just didn't delve into those mutants escaping, being freed, or otherwise improving their situation.
Likely true.
4. It seemed that Wade took a lot more extreme measures to trigger his transformation, given how Ajax reacted. I wonder what kind of turn-around their facility has, in terms of creating mutants. I, of course, assume that there will be some "wash-outs", but Francis at least seemed perturbed that it too so long to change Wade... so it must be a pretty high success rate.
You've got to assume that there's an 'expected' timeframe in which most people mutate with outliers on either end. At some point though you would expect that they'd just write someone off, especially if there's some sort of medication or other costly part to the process. But they did persevere with Wade, so it's reasonable to assume they had reason to believe it was inevitable. Perhaps the serum had never failed and Wade was the first to not mutate in a reasonable timeframe?
5. Was there any information presented as far as how Francis' organization can avoid having to deal with missing person's reports - they aren't really a government organization, so it's not like they could just say that the person died - even if they could, the lack of any bodies would draw attention to themselves. Perhaps they're just well connected?
I'd wager it's more about who they choose. Wade wasn't exactly a well connected pillar of the community, he was literally part of a group of people who took bets on which one of them would die next. Such a person going missing could have dozens of plausible explanations.
6. Lastly - Let's say that you wouldn't be made a slave afterward, and without knowing just how many "sessions" it would take to trigger a transformation, nor knowing what specific powers you'd get, would you subject yourself to the process?
I don't know. I'd certainly be tempted but it looked for all intents and purposes like torture. While I'd love powers honestly I don't think I'd be willing to sign up to that degree of possible pain.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Given Francis' attitude to Wade, I suspect they reason they kept going was Francis being a sadistic fuck and wanting to hurt and/or break Wade. He wouldn't be the first guy to get screwed over by his own pride after all.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Given Francis' attitude to Wade, I suspect they reason they kept going was Francis being a sadistic fuck and wanting to hurt and/or break Wade. He wouldn't be the first guy to get screwed over by his own pride after all.
I'd have to go back and re-watch it, but didn't Wade change and then Francis decided to leave him in over the weekend, anyway?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yes he did, but even from the very first meeting Francis was getting visibly annoyed with Wade. He said that one thing that never survives is a sense of humour, which Wade takes as a challenge, so I think it's quite reasonable that Francis just kept hurting him to break him and if that happened to trigger the mutation, good, if it happened to kill him, oh well.

It's also possible that the more spectacular mutations take longer: Angel's strength or Wade's absurdly fast healing may take more time/more serum/more adrenaline/more stress to manifest than, say, a lower-level mutant.