1970s America or Zootopia (RAR!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Where would you live?

1970s US
61%
Zootopia
39%

Total votes: 18

Zor
Sith Acolyte

1970s America or Zootopia (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

In this scenario you are given a choice by ROB: either be sent back in time to live in the 1970 United States or be sent to the city of Zootopia as of right after the events of the aforesaid movie.

1970s US pros
  • You are not the only Human on the planet
  • Everything is built to human scale
  • Wider dietary selection
1970s US cons
  • More racism, homophobia and similar bullshit
  • Inferior technology
  • You'll be a cultural outsider
Zootopia Pros
  • Interesting city to explore
  • Modern Technology
  • Culture is broadly speaking more modern
Zootopia Cons
  • You are the one and only human on the planet, though given that their are thousands of sapient species in Zootopia this is not as big a deal as it could have been
  • No meat besides fish and birds
  • You have to be careful in Zootopia due to things such as the scale difference
Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: 1970s America or Zootopia (RAR!)

Post by Jub »

Would I be able to cash out my bank account in 1970's or earlier US currency before going back to 1970, or am I basically zapped back as I am and into a similar set of living conditions? If the former going back to the 70's would be tempting, I could see lots great of bands live and in their prime, make a few sports bets, play some stocks, and generally do well for myself. If the later I think I'd choose Zootopia.

Zootopia seems like a place I could learn to live with. Sure there aren't any humans around and that would take some getting used to, but it seems like a place I could carve out a niche. Being literally one of a kind, I could probably make a living just by doing the talk show circuit and participating in some scientific studies. Plus, while I'm not a furry so any sex would probably be out, I could find companionship, maybe even adopt a kid and have a pretty fulfilling life. Certainly a life I'm better suited to than any 1970's life where I can't use loopholes to get reasonably wealthy in short order.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

No meat besides fish and birds
Toss in protein bug-buggers.

I also suspect that available cuisine is varied, since there's so many species with different tastes (though... probably not much in the way of hot peppers, capsaicin is something mammals other than humans avoid. Possibly- it wouldn't shock me if some Zootopia species learned tolerance for it too). So, I can give up red meat in exchange for living in a new, relatable, society that's none the less full of cultural stuff I've never seen before, and which is used to accommodating a wide variety of peoples.

70s is only tempting in a 'what can I do to improve the world with my future knowledge' angle, I'd actually want to live in Zootopia.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

70's america all the way. If for no other reason than the music. And the meat. Fuck the animal people, nobody will force me into giving up meat. Oh, wait! I can't. Not biologically compatible. As I said, just give me the 70's.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Purple wrote:70's america all the way. If for no other reason than the music. And the meat. Fuck the animal people, nobody will force me into giving up meat. Oh, wait! I can't. Not biologically compatible. As I said, just give me the 70's.
Only mammal meat. Everything else is fair game. And, with a large population of predators, very readily available.

Btw, Zootopia has, aside from the current trends, 'Rat pack,' music and presumably other equivalents to older styles. Plus smartphones, so you can load up a playlist of thousands.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Q99 wrote:Only mammal meat. Everything else is fair game. And, with a large population of predators, very readily available.
Yea... I can't live without my mammal meat.
Btw, Zootopia has, aside from the current trends, 'Rat pack,' music and presumably other equivalents to older styles. Plus smartphones, so you can load up a playlist of thousands.
And all that fades when compared with the chance to see Black Sabbath and the ilk at their absolute prime.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

1970s America.

Sorry, I'm not a furry, and couldn't give up sex.

All I need to do to get out of 1970s america is head north and cross the border.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

If I choose the USA, what happens when I travel back in time? Am I actually registered as a US citizen, with a social insurance number, bank account, passport, driver's license, birth certificate etc? Alternatively since I am Canadian, would I go back in time with Canadian credentials, which would at least allow me to go back and live at home? Or would I be stuck with nothing but my clothes and whatever I was wearing at the time?

The first two options I could deal with, but the last one poses some... issues. I'd be back in time in 1970's America with no money, no credentials, a funny accent and very limited knowledge of the US geography, history and 1970s culture. I'd essentially be an illegal immigrant with no money during the Cold War... wouldn't that be fun?

Also, are historical events "fixed" or can they be changed?

Note that I'm not talking about Zootopia because... well, I'd still want sex, and I'm not a furry. So no interest in going there, even though it is technically closer to my "native" culture. IMO it's better to be poor in 1970s USA with the chance of getting a girlfriend than be stuck for several decades with only my right hand for company, jus sayin'.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

70s America. It ain't perfect and the women are nearly as hairy as the women in Zootopia but I think I could adapt better. Plus the 70s had all dem cheap muscle cars and the ability to drop money in future monster companies before they got big (invest in or buy stocks in Microsoft, Google, and Apple when they are created). Yeah the music would suck balls but atleast I could find some old vinyl records of 50s-ish artists I enjoy. My main problem other then music being just......terrible would be having to stand idly by while some pretty fucked up shit happens to gay people and minorities so as to not fuck up the time line.

Zootopia would be too different for me. Plus with the fact I can't eat cow or pig because they'd be my neighbors I'd definitely not have a fun time, probably wind up being a serial killer or something after a decade or two without a burger or bacon. That doesn't even get into the sex problem. Even if I wanted to have sex with a furry chick (which I don't but probably after years on the world I might change my mind), alot of perspective partners are going to have problems size wise. I'm not sure what species would be relatively human sized, most seem really tiny or really huge. Not going to help your love life if you fall for a woman who is a hamster or an elephant. Doesn't matter how great her personality is, when there is a good chance your dangle is larger then your partner or she weighs several tons there is little chance of it working.

I just wonder how the furries of Zootopia would react to a human. Would they try to classify one as a bald ape or a new species? Would they even be welcoming to a brand new species of that looks considerably different from any other species? Probably would be very mad if the person accidentally slipped out they ate members of quite a few of the species and others they used as pets.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

For me the decision is simple. I like modern conveniences that the 70s won't have, but Zootopia will. I don't like the attitudes people had towards minorities and LGBT in that time. There is nothing that would make me want to live in the 70s, knowing which companies will make it big isn't much of an incentive if I've got to wait decades for the payoff.

Zootopia is going to be something different. The downsides are manageable:
- Being the only human also means less diseases that can infect me.
- No mammal meat is manageable. At least chicken remains an option. Though getting a healthy mix of meat and veg could be difficult when most species aren't omnivores.
- Size difference just means areas of the city I avoid.
Joun_Lord wrote: alot of perspective partners are going to have problems size wise.
Fortunately that's a problem that a lot of interspecies couples would have in Zootopia. Information on which species can safely have sex with each other in what ways is bound to be publicly available. So it shouldn't take too much work to get a list of the species you can have sex with.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I'm sure you'd get over your ""but I'm not a furry" preconception in a month or two. We are talking about ordinary people with a moderately different morphology, not a specific human Internet/costuming subculture that you don't want to be identified with.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Personally, 70s racism/sexism/etc. would infuriate me. I'm adjusted to modern levels. A timeframe when a lot more people are openly angry about the civil rights movement? *Shiver* Pass.
bilateralrope wrote: - No mammal meat is manageable. At least chicken remains an option. Though getting a healthy mix of meat and veg could be difficult when most species aren't omnivores.
Bear and racoon eateries seem like the places to go. Or just alternate restaurants.

Joun_Lord wrote: I just wonder how the furries of Zootopia would react to a human. Would they try to classify one as a bald ape or a new species? Would they even be welcoming to a brand new species of that looks considerably different from any other species? Probably would be very mad if the person accidentally slipped out they ate members of quite a few of the species and others they used as pets.
New species- there's no primate of any kind (on the logic that, well, an evolved primate is *already* a human, so trying to evolve them just made them too human-like).

Size-wise, humans seem somewhere around the low-end of the large scale. Like, tigers and big cats are bigger than you but not by a ton, you're probably a bit bigger than the wolves, gazelles and similar may be about your height but less massive, waterbuffalo and such are larger than you.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'd find being stranded in the '70s irritating, but less so than being literally the only member of my species on the planet.

Of course, I really don't get into the spirit of RARs like this anymore when I don't get to take my wife with me in the hypothetical scenario.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Simon_Jester wrote:I'd find being stranded in the '70s irritating, but less so than being literally the only member of my species on the planet.

Of course, I really don't get into the spirit of RARs like this anymore when I don't get to take my wife with me in the hypothetical scenario.
^Ditto.

That said, I've been watching a lot of "That 70s Show" lately, so I could totally get by as long as I'm in Wisconsin and required to be an immature shit :P

Seriously though: I would be screwed. Zootopia, while I'd be the only human, at least seems (from what I have heard; haven't seen it yet) to be a reasonably modern society with most of our modern conveniences. I could get by with fish and chicken as my only meats, though I would miss bacon and ham. Perhaps they have a "turkey ham"? I don't have enough technical knowledge to be able to illustrate most of our modern conveniences, and the 70s are close enough-ish to the present that a lot of stuff that we have now was starting to be in development at the time anyway. So it's questionable how much you could actually profit from foreknowledge about stuff like personal computers, the Internet, and what not.

Now if you could rope your way into getting a decent job and making some investments, you could make a killing by buying the appropriate stocks. It's getting there to start with that's the trick.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Assuming I keep my credentials and so on that's not really a problem for me; I have degrees that are rare enough I'm fairly sure I'd find something. And, well... real per capita income was about the same then as it is now; setting some aside for stock investments wouldn't be so hard as all that.

It'd be a problem if I appear as a penniless refugee with no birth certificate and a social security number that won't be issued for ten years, but that is pretty obviously NOT the intent of the original post.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

As someone who has actually seen Zootopia, I pick 1970s Earth. Sure, Zootopia is more advanced, but they are dealing with their own prejudiced society that discriminates against predators/meat eaters. Seeing as how we witness an actual hate crime in the movie, I choose 1970s Earth. It's flawed, but at least I won't be the odd freak there.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Simon_Jester wrote:Assuming I keep my credentials and so on that's not really a problem for me; I have degrees that are rare enough I'm fairly sure I'd find something. And, well... real per capita income was about the same then as it is now; setting some aside for stock investments wouldn't be so hard as all that.

It'd be a problem if I appear as a penniless refugee with no birth certificate and a social security number that won't be issued for ten years, but that is pretty obviously NOT the intent of the original post.
Obviously on an individual basis that's probably not an issue for some people, yeah. The question is how do you prove you've got a degree from X university when that university has no record of your graduation on hand, because you've (I'm guessing here, I don't know how old you are) not even been born yet? Certainly you have the knowledge you have now, the problem arises when an employer goes "OK, everything looks good, now do you mind showing me your diploma"...

Now if it's a situation where you pop up with whatever you have now, just appropriately adjusted for the period (that is if you graduated 10 years ago, your diploma bears a date in the late 50s/early 60s, for example), that's another story. And, it does help that it was somewhat easier to get a job back then-- less extensive background checking and all that. And of course if you're a white male, that helps.

Me, though? Not only did I not finish college, I'm deaf. In the 70s, my best prospect for a job probably stem from placement through some charity or government agency-- and the ADA doesn't happen until freaking 1990. Odds are that unless I get lucky, I end up selling pencils on a freaking street corner. I *might* get some kind of extremely low blue collar job like janitor duty, if that. At least in the 1970s, there are more small businesses and more opportunities for individual achievement once you get your foot in the door. So I'm not totally fucked. Just pretty screwed.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

bilateralrope wrote:Fortunately that's a problem that a lot of interspecies couples would have in Zootopia. Information on which species can safely have sex with each other in what ways is bound to be publicly available. So it shouldn't take too much work to get a list of the species you can have sex with.
Thats a good point. A mixed species society would have to have some system in place to deal with inter-species romance, assuming its even considered kosher. There does seem to be alot of prejudice in the Zootopia world (perhaps not as much as the real world 70s) and they are dealing with members of different species rather then different colored members of the same, perhaps inter-species couples are not all that accepted. I don't recall any inter-species couples featured in the movies (though I'll admit I only half watched it while my nieces and nephews watched it, thank Zod it didn't put me to sleep like the first fucking Spongebob movie though) and there is certainly a drive it seems for people to stay with their own kind. The species driven enclaves, the predators-prey divide, the fact smaller animals are looked down all seem indicative of a society with some pretty hefty problems.
Q99 wrote:New species- there's no primate of any kind (on the logic that, well, an evolved primate is *already* a human, so trying to evolve them just made them too human-like).

Size-wise, humans seem somewhere around the low-end of the large scale. Like, tigers and big cats are bigger than you but not by a ton, you're probably a bit bigger than the wolves, gazelles and similar may be about your height but less massive, waterbuffalo and such are larger than you.
Yeah doing a bit of research it seems the creators didn't include primates because they were too close to humans and people would assume they are the smartest, which makes it even harder for a lone human to blend in.

There does seem to be a couple of species that might be similar size but not many. Which would really suck (and not in the good way) if you do some online dating and find out your date is a shrew or a rhino.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

One could always, gasp, date in person :) Or only search profiles of people in size category...
FaxModem1 wrote:As someone who has actually seen Zootopia, I pick 1970s Earth. Sure, Zootopia is more advanced, but they are dealing with their own prejudiced society that discriminates against predators/meat eaters. Seeing as how we witness an actual hate crime in the movie, I choose 1970s Earth. It's flawed, but at least I won't be the odd freak there.
The 70s definitely have some hate crimes. And the movie hate crime seemed very anomalous to them, it's definitely not the norm.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Q99 wrote:One could always, gasp, date in person :) Or only search profiles of people in size category...
What is this the Flintstones age? Nobody dates IRL, its all done through computer screens and anonymous chat rooms as god intended it.

And everyone lies about how they look or what size they are. Go out on at date with what you thought was a sexy doe with them sexy doe eyes and BAM its a literal elephant. Sure the camera might add 10 pounds but not a trunk and a ton bun.

Really though anonymous dating would just be one of many problems that a human would face in the dating world of Zootopia.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Speaking of the 70's what state do we spawn into? Do we get to chose?

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Elheru Aran wrote:you could make a killing by buying the appropriate stocks. It's getting there to start with that's the trick.
Which stocks ?
When do you invest ?
When do you cash out ?

I ask because we have had suggestions of investing in Google. Which doesn't come into existence until 1998. So I'm wondering if anyone has done the research required to pick the right stocks.
Joun_Lord wrote:Thats a good point. A mixed species society would have to have some system in place to deal with inter-species romance, assuming its even considered kosher.
Do they have the internet ?

If so, the information will be on it somewhere.
Joun_Lord wrote:
Q99 wrote:One could always, gasp, date in person :) Or only search profiles of people in size category...
What is this the Flintstones age? Nobody dates IRL, its all done through computer screens and anonymous chat rooms as god intended it.

And everyone lies about how they look or what size they are. Go out on at date with what you thought was a sexy doe with them sexy doe eyes and BAM its a literal elephant. Sure the camera might add 10 pounds but not a trunk and a ton bun.

Really though anonymous dating would just be one of many problems that a human would face in the dating world of Zootopia.
If interspecies relationships are tolerated then the dating services will include a species category you can filter matches by as there will be a large number of people who have species that they don't want to date for various reasons. So just stick to the species you can have sex with.

If they lie about their species, that will become obvious when you first meet them in person.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

bilateralrope wrote:Which stocks ?
When do you invest ?
When do you cash out ?
Microsoft is an easy one that almost everyone knows, although you'd have to wait until 1986 for the IPO.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Granted... most of these are probably late 80s to early 90s... but a lot of tech stuff is worth investing in, at least at early stages-- MS, Apple, etc. Dotcoms, if you remember to sell before they start exploding in the early 00's.

Now, before that, I'm not familiar enough with the economic world to know what you would want to invest in because, well, frankly, it's before my time. I could throw out an offhand comment about car makers, but I doubt they're any great shakes in the 70s as far as that goes. Boeing, maybe.

Home Depot got started in the late 70s, didn't it? (I should know, I work at one) *googles* Well, nah, it barely got started, first store opened in 1978, and then it didn't go public until 1981. Still worth investing in though.

Ooh, Walmart. That one's money for sure. The first store was founded in Arkansas in the 60s. And it becomes a publicly traded company in 1970, stocks selling at 16.50 each. Cheers, you can become part of the corporate exploitation of America's lower classes!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, geez, THAT was a no-brainer!

I actually did live in the 1970's. It wasn't hell, not by a long shot, even if it was far from perfect. So that's my choice. I've already got a skill set, now obsolete, that would guarantee a living wage at the time. Wouldn't have to learn a new culture or adapt to being the only human around.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice