1970s America or Zootopia (RAR!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Where would you live?

1970s US
61%
Zootopia
39%

Total votes: 18

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: 1970s America or Zootopia (RAR!)

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm.

One thing I remember to buy... Chrysler. Wait a few years for it to tank, then buy up a bunch at a low price. Between the feds bailing them out and Lee Iacocca kicking in some time around 1980, they had something of a boom, and one could make a tidy little sum that way.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

bilateralrope wrote: Do they have the internet ?

If so, the information will be on it somewhere.
Pretty sure they do. They didn't show much of it, but hey, they have smartphones that let you download apps.

Broomstick wrote:Well, geez, THAT was a no-brainer!

I actually did live in the 1970's. It wasn't hell, not by a long shot, even if it was far from perfect. So that's my choice. I've already got a skill set, now obsolete, that would guarantee a living wage at the time. Wouldn't have to learn a new culture or adapt to being the only human around.
Even if it's no living hell (*I* wouldn't like it, but obviously people lived), you'd still be eating a big hit in tech level compared to what you're used to. And there will be *no* new pop culture. Every big hit that people are raving about is old hat to you. Science fiction? Visual, you're limited to Star Wars and 2001- and *not* on VHS or DVD, only if it's at theaters- writing, well I hope you like the classics.

And hey, I wanna point out Zootopia isn't just 'not going back,' it's adding a bunch of stuff you've never seen. Do herd animals make different assumptions on alien life? There'll be novels with actual different points of view. Movies? Ones you will have never watched, and lots of them. Even cheap TV SF will have *way* more variety than 'rubber forehead humans'- think about it, you can have tiny-scale suit actors manipulating parts within a larger suit, so much more complex costuming can be done cheap.

And, additionally? *You* will have points of view they lack. You'll probably be able to make a lot of money telling people about our stories you know, about our culture and world. Talking to their scientists if you wanna keep down low, TV shows and movies if you don't- hey, you'd be a great actor to play 'the alien' in a movie!

It won't be a stock cheat, but employment will be really easy.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Personally, since I enjoy reading books and have just plain not seen a huge number of "oh my god how can you not have seen this movie" movies that came out in the '70s and '80s, I'm not too worried about the pop culture element. ;)
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Simon_Jester wrote:Personally, since I enjoy reading books and have just plain not seen a huge number of "oh my god how can you not have seen this movie" movies that came out in the '70s and '80s, I'm not too worried about the pop culture element. ;)

I enjoy reading books too, and there's some old ones I haven't gotten around to, but once I'm done with Skylark and Lensmen, there's not a lot of old big space opera series I haven't read- and even the ones I like won't have the variety of characters I'm used to.

Cyberpunk, transhumanism? Don't get to read any new novels of those for decades, even when the genres appear they'll be at the base level.

Finding stuff that pushes my boundaries and shows me things I haven't seen is going to be hard, when I'm use to reading things that built on what was around back then.

Meanwhile on the other side, I can find their versions of stories I love and spot the differences, find completely new stuff, etc.. As a SF lover, I'll be plunged into a variety of selection of new stuff I can't get even in the modern era. Find a new author that I like? Happens occasionally, but there'll be dozens of greats just waiting for me!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Q99 wrote:Even if it's no living hell (*I* wouldn't like it, but obviously people lived), you'd still be eating a big hit in tech level compared to what you're used to. And there will be *no* new pop culture. Every big hit that people are raving about is old hat to you. Science fiction? Visual, you're limited to Star Wars and 2001- and *not* on VHS or DVD, only if it's at theaters- writing, well I hope you like the classics.
Yeah, I actually do like classics. You're also completely forgetting all the other SF movie and series: Space 1999, Logan's Run, Alien, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Andromeda Strain, The Planet of the Apes series, Soylent Green, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Superman, and a bunch of others. There are a ton of movies, TV shows, and books from the 1970's I still haven't seen or read, in fact, I acquire one or two of them a year even now, 40 years later. And, by the way - going to the movies was a lot cheaper back then.

Also, the consumer-level VCR debuted about mid-decade. Very expensive at that point, but obtainable if I really want it.

Again, I am aware of the "tech level hit" - I'll miss the internet and my small computers, but since I'm not the sort glued 24/7 to a smart phone I'll do just fine. I still remember how to operate a tree book. I don't require a constant infusion of new stuff to keep me happy.

Honestly, you're acting like I don't remember how things were back then.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Maybe he doesn't? I know a lot of people who were born in the late 90's and grew up in the 2000's who sound like that.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Oh, I'm pretty sure he wasn't there, he just doesn't seem to grasp that I'm an old fart who actually lived through the entire 1970's decade.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Q99 wrote:Finding stuff that pushes my boundaries and shows me things I haven't seen is going to be hard, when I'm use to reading things that built on what was around back then.
You might be surprised. There was quite a bit of exploration of the strange, the weird, the unknown, in '70s SF because the sense of the limits of the possible was in some ways wider, not narrower.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Broomstick wrote: Yeah, I actually do like classics. You're also completely forgetting all the other SF movie and series: Space 1999, Logan's Run, Alien, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Andromeda Strain, The Planet of the Apes series, Soylent Green, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Superman, and a bunch of others.
It's not that I'm forgetting them, more that I've seen a good portion of the big ones from them (all but two of that list, iirc), and haven't forgotten them. Even the ones from back then I haven't seen as a kid, well, only the most obscure have gone unspoiled.
Honestly, you're acting like I don't remember how things were back then.
That you remember is exactly it- we know the stuff, only a fraction will be original. It's not like seeing the 70s the first time, complete fresh.

I'm not 70s, but I am 80s, and saw a ton of 70s stuff as a result, TV was full of it. The further away from my experience, the better in my book.

Oh, and to clarify- If this stuff isn't a problem with you, that's fine. We're different people, after all. If you're big into retro pop culture, then it's definitely better for you than me, the neophile, who doesn't want to re-do any decade I've been in or ones close enough to them for me to have eaten much of their pop culture. And it'd be less of a problem for a younger person IMO- though they'd still have to deal with the variety of stories coming out at any one time being less than now.

Heck, if I did get thrown back into the 70s, I think my answer would be to move to a different country, learn the language, and get their stuff of the time... because that's me.

Plus, well, it's not just stacked up against neutral, it's stacked up against a world that will have, among other things, it's own equivalent of 70s SF.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Like the "acrology" vs rural world thread we had a while back, my decision here is primarily motivated by the conveniences of the technology that only one of the options has.

But I do have a medical condition that is a secondary concern. One that I've been tried several different medications before finding one that worked. While the medication was available in the 1970s*, I don't want to go through the process of getting the doctors going through the other medications and seeing why they don't work before they prescribe the medication I'm currently on. Not when one of those medications that was tried caused me some serious problems. But I don't see any way to convince the doctors to go straight to what I'm on, instead of starting with the medications least likely to cause problems and working down the list.
Then there is the matter of affording it and the regular blood tests to make sure this medication isn't causing problems. I have no idea what it would cost me if I was living in the US today, let alone the 1970s.

*Though I don't know if it was used to treat my medical condition back then.

Sure, getting the medication will be more difficult, if not impossible, in Zootopia. But all this condition does is affect my appearance. With no other humans around, I can probably get by with letting it go untreated.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

bilateralrope wrote: But I do have a medical condition that is a secondary concern. One that I've been tried several different medications before finding one that worked. While the medication was available in the 1970s*, I don't want to go through the process of getting the doctors going through the other medications and seeing why they don't work before they prescribe the medication I'm currently on. Not when one of those medications that was tried caused me some serious problems. But I don't see any way to convince the doctors to go straight to what I'm on, instead of starting with the medications least likely to cause problems and working down the list.
Then there is the matter of affording it and the regular blood tests to make sure this medication isn't causing problems. I have no idea what it would cost me if I was living in the US today, let alone the 1970s.

*Though I don't know if it was used to treat my medical condition back then.

Sure, getting the medication will be more difficult, if not impossible, in Zootopia. But all this condition does is affect my appearance. With no other humans around, I can probably get by with letting it go untreated.
Oh, huh, medicine will be interesting.

In Zootopia, they will have a more advanced medical establishment used to working with a wide variety of species, but nothing specifically for you. Some medicines will apply to most mammals and those'll be fine, but some that are mostly for humans may be out or not exist. So you may have an oddly unbalanced mix of medical care. Which I don't know if it's a plus or minus.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Hmmm. A chance to see Queen or the Boomtown Rats or a bunch of other 70s/80s acts I enjoy play live, or actual catgirls?

Tough call.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Do keep in mind that the "cat girls" you are referring to have the physical body of an actual house cat.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Purple wrote:Do keep in mind that the "cat girls" you are referring to have the physical body of an actual house cat.
That is not correct. The denizens of Zootopia do have bodies different from that of (using the example given), a housecat.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Zootopia is on the more anthropomorphic end of furry art, as the characters have plantigrade stance, human eye configuration (binocular and eyeball structure) and wear clothing. The morphology is basically human with species variation concentrated in head shape, tail, body fur length/colour, and total size.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Still it's a far cry of what's normally understood under the term catgirl. As in a human (typically anime) female of regular human size with minor cat like features such as ears and a tail and limited cat like mannerisms.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Here's a lineup, you can see a tiger-girl towards the left.

And of course there's the Snow Leopard reporter

The heads, of course, are the main difference.