Talespin (recent discussions)?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JamesStaley
Youngling

Talespin (recent discussions)?

Post by JamesStaley »

I see by doing a word search/topic search that there has been some discussion of Talespin on this site, but it seems to have been years ago. Anybody out there feel like talking about it NOW, in 2016?
I do have the Season One DVD set and i'm wondering how many more are available or how much of it has been released that I need to get? I would swear that there's more to it that I remember but I can't find it!?
I do have the Disney Afternoon CD that was released in 1989, which I bought mainly for the Talespin themesong, and I was greatly disappointed that it did not include Don Karnage's "I am a pirate" song. Was the song, "Home is where the heart is" ever used in an episode?
LastShadow
Youngling

Re: Talespin (recent discussions)?

Post by LastShadow »

Like Talespin? Like one of the best cartoons ever made that i would watch all over at 31 if it hit Netflix tommorrow? Yeah i will talk about that all day.

Now that you have mentioned it i am going to have to go in search of it myself...
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

God fuck yes, one of Disneys best from the 1990's, good times.

You know I realized recently after reading an article, that the whole show revolves around one of the worst Puns ever.
The nation that ball and our Heros rest in, is named in the cartoon show, but it is known in official Disney literature as "USLAND" I always took this as a take on "USA" as it was clearly American inspired form the 1940's/
Now for those that remember, one of the main Antagonistic nations in the show was an Obvious Soviet Russia knock off. The way it was said by those on the show, it always sounded like "VEMBRIA" except... the actual name of the nation turns out to be "THEMBRIA"

Usland, vs Thembria...
Us vs Them.

Really Disney? :D :mrgreen: :lol:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Bah. Everyone knows Colonel Spigot and Sergeant Dunder were the true heroes of the show. 8) :wink:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Shere Khan, corporate titan, is always a favorite character of mine from my childhood. Plus Tony Jay did his voice work, which elevates him even higher!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

All I can really say is that I loved that show. Maybe its nostalgia but wouldn't mind watching it again.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Count me in for the chorus of people saying that this show was extremely awesome and if I would love to rewatch it again sometime. Unfortunately doesn't appear to be on any major streaming services ...
JamesStaley
Youngling

Re: Talespin: Don Karnage didn't get the respect he deserved!

Post by JamesStaley »

Thinking back on it now, I've realized that Disney did not give Don Karnage ANY respect as one of their villians: all of it went to that "other" pirate, Capt. Hook! Probably because they "didn't want to confuse audiences" or some stupid BS excuse like that! Really? Captain Hook is HUMAN and sort of has a hook on one hand, while Don Karnage is obviously a FOX and speaks with a French accent. Or maybe the Big Wigs at the Big D just thought of him as one of their "daily" cartoon characters, so "who cares, why bother?" "Not part of our ""Classic"" line up.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Talespin: Don Karnage didn't get the respect he deserved!

Post by Q99 »

I liked that one a lot when I was a kid :D
JamesStaley wrote:Thinking back on it now, I've realized that Disney did not give Don Karnage ANY respect as one of their villians: all of it went to that "other" pirate, Capt. Hook! Probably because they "didn't want to confuse audiences" or some stupid BS excuse like that!
Ah, more like because Hook's from one of the most famous stories in the world that Disney's done a lot with (Movie, TV show, Tinkerbell as a major mascot), and Talespin, while awesome, didn't really get much followup in any form since a show's not as big as a movie and it was, itself, kinda a Jungle Book spinoff.

It's like Gargoyles in the 'awesome but not big enough to get them to do much more stuff,' category.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Which kind of sucks, cause I liked Talespin myself. Cross between Tales Of the Gold Monkey and a little bit of Crimson Skies(though I know the series long predates the game), and an interesting take on The Jungle Book characters, especially the Kit Cloudkicker reboot of Mowgli, Shir Khan, and Don Karnage.

This and Madeline were the only two Disney shows which were worth a damn.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:Which kind of sucks, cause I liked Talespin myself. Cross between Tales Of the Gold Monkey and a little bit of Crimson Skies(though I know the series long predates the game), and an interesting take on The Jungle Book characters, especially the Kit Cloudkicker reboot of Mowgli, Shir Khan, and Don Karnage.

This and Madeline were the only two Disney shows which were worth a damn.
You didn't like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Gooftroop, Aladdin or Chip N'Dale? Those were all 90's cartoon gold as far as I was concerned. Many a Saturday morning glued to the TV watching those. I'd probably even watch any and all of them today.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

I'll be honest, as far as truly creative and "new worlds" go.. "Tailspin" was indeed 'NEW'

Don't get me wrong, as a I kid I did LOVE all those others. And I got a huge kick when they decided that "Duck Tales" and "Darkwing Duck" would take place in the same universe. (yay continuities)

But the vast majority of them were basically "Our world + animal people"
Gooftroop especially on this, and obviously the aforementioned "Duck Tales" and "Darkwing Duck"
But, "Tailspin" however WAS a completely new and different world. Sure it had analogs to the USA and Russia, but thats all they were.
You had a totally different 'backstory' as well as history, myths, legends, etc.

Not sure if Any of that makes sense, but just saying.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, also echoing comment that Don Carnage got NO RESPECT what so ever. Seriously, cannot think of a single episode where he ever "won" inane significant way, OR was not treated as an absolute dunderhead.
But hey, it was the 90's Can't have our villains TOO menacing ;P
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Sgt_Artyom wrote: You didn't like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Gooftroop, Aladdin or Chip N'Dale? Those were all 90's cartoon gold as far as I was concerned. Many a Saturday morning glued to the TV watching those. I'd probably even watch any and all of them today.
With the exception of Talespin, Disney's modern renditions of their classic cartoon characters just...lacked something. It's kinda like seeing Warner do modern intepretations of Bugs, Daffy, et. al, especially with Mel Blanc gone(with the notable exception of Taz-Mania). It's either deriviative of the classic toons or plays out like a bad sitcom.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

NeoGoomba wrote:Shere Khan, corporate titan, is always a favorite character of mine from my childhood. Plus Tony Jay did his voice work, which elevates him even higher!
As a lover of "Jungle Book" movie, seeing all these characters again was a treat, and yes, Shere Khan was extremely well-cast as the corporate titan. Best yet, it was the Voice. That voice that sent cold chills down my spine when he hunted Mowgli, now sent chills down my spine simply from Remembering when he was the Hunter.
Fuck, I've chills now thinking of it.

One thing bugs me -- they had Baloo, Louie, and Shere Khan, but I can't remember if they had Baghera!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

No, I don't think we ever had Bagheera. The closest we got to him was that Shere Khan's pilots were usually black panthers.

And yes, Tony Jay's Shere Khan was awesome.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: Oh yeah, also echoing comment that Don Carnage got NO RESPECT what so ever. Seriously, cannot think of a single episode where he ever "won" inane significant way, OR was not treated as an absolute dunderhead.
But hey, it was the 90's Can't have our villains TOO menacing ;P
Gargoyles managed :)
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Gargoyles happened in the late 90s and seemed to be targeted to a more mature audience. That said I think they did probably about as good as any animated show of that whole decade in terms of good stories and characters.

TailSpin, well let's be honest it was at its heart a great deal of sillyness, which I personally think was part of its charm. Sure, I'd life if I he Sky Pirates were a little less incompetent, but not sure if I'd like to ever see them as "menacing"
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I loved that show and consider it something formative for me, but its also a show I don't think I ever want to see again because all it would do is make me recognize just how silly bad it was. The memories are certain to be better then it actually was.

Except maybe the episode with animal Russia and the toilet bombers. Nothing could not be amazing about this.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Gargoyles happened in the late 90s and seemed to be targeted to a more mature audience. That said I think they did probably about as good as any animated show of that whole decade in terms of good stories and characters.
1994 is considered late 90s?
JamesStaley
Youngling

Post by JamesStaley »

But was the song, "Home is Where the Hear Is" ever actually used in an episode, or did it only somehow find its way onto the CD dispite having never been used in the show? It's a lovely piece and I really like it, but somehow it got used instead of the song I REALLY WANTED, 'I Am A Pirate", the song sung by Don Karnage in the "Plunder & Lightening" pilot episodes.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Youtube knows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4YmDF2cESQ

Look like its implied it was cut in syndication to make the pilot episodes shorter
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956