A quartet of God's [rar]

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: A quartet of God's [rar]

Post by bilateralrope »

Quiz is still going to be useless. We are talking about a population who has no idea what Wikipedia is because it didn't exist on the date of the change. All they will see is a website if they meditate. They will be too worried about surviving to start poking around.

Oh, and even with all your changes suicide looks like the best option. I live in a city. There will be mass starvation. No roads to transport the food on. No computers to plan how to effectivly distribute what they do have. No electricity to power fridges or freezers.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I concur with bt here. Not only are we all going to starve horribly as the whole city turns to banditry to survive but we are going to be stuck with a lot of rotting dead pigs who starved off due to having no feed to spread disease. Like the best you could do under these conditions is either kill your self or spend a couple of weeks living out your Mad Max rape-murder-loot fantasy until someone gets you. And somehow I don't prefer #2.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I really do think it would be nice to see the OP rewritten into something more 'balanced,' in the sense that civilization doesn't just utterly collapse.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

GHETTO EDIT:

Sorry, got distracted before putting my edit in.

Basically, the war god and nature god's curses have to be mitigated enough that, one, actually trying to fight to defend yourself isn't likely to turn you into an insane mindless killer. And, two, so that everyone doesn't just starve to death when the infrastructure collapses.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Anything with logic gates?

Well my basement just got filled with pigs. Assuming one pig per device, that's at least 73 pigs in my basement. Which is also my room. Over two hundred when we account for the various ICs in the workbench's drawers.

Now, back in 2000 this wouldn't be as bad in my own situation; as a child, I didn't have a phone, so at most there would be a dozen pigs in my room from Gameboy Color cartridges and the Gameboy itself.

Even back then, though, I'm pretty sure the sheer mass of soon-to-be-rotting pigs would be enough to cause a global climate catastrophe due to the sheer volume of decay gases.

And when you say concrete, does that include Portland cement and ancient concrete? Lots of garages would be destroyed instantly, even if the structural concrete is left intact, as the slab would be useless and for multilevel garages you'd have a large pile of compost/dirt/cars/pigs big enough that the pressure could compromise the structure.

Oh, and in this disaster, I'm pretty sure the various freezers used to contain smallpox samples and other deadly diseases or remnants of bio-warfare programs would fail, possibly causing an incredibly lethal pandemic within months, as the majority of the population no longer has acquired or vaccine-given immunity or resistance to smallpox.

Tens of thousands of ships would be stranded at sea due to the collapse of the GPS network (orbital pigs now) and the failure of their own equipment, including radios. Also, they have to manage to control the pigs. At least they'll have food.

Every oil pipeline that is controlled by a computer will be likely to experience a failure, and will probably need to be shutdown by the survivors to ensure it doesn't burst due to the sudden failure of pressure regulation. Same goes for active oil rigs.

All nuclear power plants that rely on computer safeties for operation will hopefully shutdown. But in the case that they don't (And it will happen, see TEPCO), whoops, and you thought Chernobyl was a disaster. Also unsure if concrete slabs would count as a paved surface here, because if they do, it won't matter if the plants are fail-safe due to the sudden structural compromise. Also the sudden existence of a pig inside of a nuclear warhead's electronics package will probably crack it open and possibly expose radioactive bits. Hell if the pig manifests correctly it may even trigger the arming sequence and detonator. Oops.

Even the youth blessing is a curse in disguise regardless of if the other curses occur at all because the sudden influx of young and healthy people will really fuck up world demographics by itself, especially since now people that would have died in a few years need to be fed for up to sixty or seventy more, and unemployment will skyrocket. And almost all photo IDs become useless overnight, and in some cases even recognizing people by their face, so good luck trying to keep track of your suddenly young population.

Worthy successors to the god of Abraham, to be sure. Don't even need to mention conflict because frankly, I doubt enough people will be alive for it to matter.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Purple wrote:I concur with bt here. Not only are we all going to starve horribly as the whole city turns to banditry to survive but we are going to be stuck with a lot of rotting dead pigs who starved off due to having no feed to spread disease. Like the best you could do under these conditions is either kill your self or spend a couple of weeks living out your Mad Max rape-murder-loot fantasy until someone gets you. And somehow I don't prefer #2.
Not to mention the pigs that don't survive their arrival because the computer was inside something solid.

How many cars will have their fuel tanks breached ?