Deadpool

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LastShadow
Youngling

Re: Deadpool

Post by LastShadow »

I am utterly disappointing in the reviews some people have been giving this movie, as a fairly decent fan of deadpool myself, they pretty much nailed him spot on, sure i had my problems with little things here and there, but it was all i could have expected and more. People if you did not like the movie because of the humor or the 4th wall breaking parts, do your research.

Honestly i would not be surprised if before they do the DVD release they update some of the topical humor that has no actual impact on the story to more current snide comments and jokes, if they dont i wont be too disappointed, but if they do, oh man they would end up being gods of the movie realm in my eyes. They will have made a antihero movie, with great humor, and evolved it past just a base movie.

The only problem i had with Deadpool was there wasnt more of it, and the fact that you really had to watch the movie if you wanted to catch everything, as there were little visual easter eggs everywhere.

Do some research folks you will appreciate him so so much more, he is the nicest, sweetest most deadly asshole of an antihero you will ever come across.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

i had to snicker a bit at parents who drug their kids out during the show due to blood, tits, and dirty jokes. what the hell were they expecting? hadn't they seen any of the trailers? this is not your normal family friendly superhero, and because of that, it's awesome.
My favourite part was the mother with two ten year olds in the front row. They didn't make it past the UK "15" age rated trailers.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LastShadow wrote:I am utterly disappointing in the reviews some people have been giving this movie, as a fairly decent fan of deadpool myself, they pretty much nailed him spot on, sure i had my problems with little things here and there, but it was all i could have expected and more. People if you did not like the movie because of the humor or the 4th wall breaking parts, do your research.

Honestly i would not be surprised if before they do the DVD release they update some of the topical humor that has no actual impact on the story to more current snide comments and jokes, if they dont i wont be too disappointed, but if they do, oh man they would end up being gods of the movie realm in my eyes. They will have made a antihero movie, with great humor, and evolved it past just a base movie.

The only problem i had with Deadpool was there wasnt more of it, and the fact that you really had to watch the movie if you wanted to catch everything, as there were little visual easter eggs everywhere.

Do some research folks you will appreciate him so so much more, he is the nicest, sweetest most deadly asshole of an antihero you will ever come across.
well it's possible to know that having practically no 4th wall and crude humor is the point and still not like the movie for most people that mean not going to see the movie but reviewers might not have that luxury, personally I'm probably gonna wait for it come to DvD but that's more of question of money then quality.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

So, there is a small chance you may have to waita long time to see Deadpool on DVD. Two companies are arguing over who ownsthe rights to the facial animation tech used in the film.
ArsTechnica wrote:
Deadpool face animation tech now embroiled in Hollywood legal battle
Rearden is hoping to block distribution of films using Mova, a tech it claims to own.

Mova is not a name that many might have heard of, but the facial animation technology has been used extensively in many blockbuster movies, most recently the record-breaking Deadpool. And according to The New York Times, Mova is now sitting in the middle of a legal battle.

Californian technology incubator Rearden has countersued Shenzhenshi Haitiecheng Science and Technology Company, after the Chinese company sued Rearden the February before. Both entities are claiming ownership over Mova, which has been used in movies like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and even Gravity.

The New York Times goes into some detail about the convoluted history of the technology. Steve Perlman, who founded Rearden, had also founded a gaming start-up called OnLive, which he merged with Mova. After leaving OnLive in 2012, he attempted to acquire Mova from the company’s controlling investor. Here is where it gets complicated. As Perlman explained in the legal suit, he asked an employee named Greg LaSalle to manage the process, only to have the latter sell the assets to Digital Domain, which is in turn associated with Shenzhenshi.

The Chinese company had a different story to tell, stating that LaSalle had legitimately sold the assets to them. They also claimed that Perlman had “encouraged Mr. LaSalle to try and salvage” Mova on his own, after failing to make a business of the technology. Neither company has responded to requests for comments.

In a curious twist, Rearden has asked a judge to not only award financial damages but also to block the distribution of media made with Mova, which seems unlikely given the popularity of the properties involved. Deadpool, for example, stunned the world with its performance in theatres. It is on its way to becoming Fox's most lucrative Marvel property, grossing £204 million worldwide over its three-day opening weekend (which, incidentally, makes it the highest ever opening for an R-rated movie in the US).
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I caught a matinee of the movie today. The only thing that's really bugging me is just what the hell Francis intended to do once he got Deadpool to the junkyard. He alluded to there being nothing left for him to grow back from, but once the trap was sprung he just seemed to go with bullets and blades, the kinds of things that leave parts for him to grow back from. Did I miss an incinerator or something?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It takes a while for his limbs to grow back, so maybe once he lost enough parts and couldn't really resist, they could then take him to an incinerator or something.

There had to be something like that in the helicarrier.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Or... they were going to cut enough off that he's helpless (Like when he'd broken almost everything punching Colossus.) that they could strap a collar to him, pump him full of drugs and clamp him in a box for shipping/sale.

Heck it took, what? A day for just a hand to grow back. Plus seeming pain of it doing so?

I can imagine Francis almost giggling like a loon (Welll, doing lots of villainous gloating) as Deadpool-torso writhes and groans in regrowth pain, all the while making amusing/snide comments about said pain.. and collar... and drugs... all while being probably conscious (As Deadpool-torso easily fights the drugs effects, at least) while being locked back into an almost sensory deprivation box with nothing BUT his regrowth pain.....

What they might have been thinking about having Colossus and Nega-sonic turn up? Yah... maybe two more boxes for shipping if the bad guys win?
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I was discussing this last night with friends, and pointed out that for the first time in ages I didn't have any complaints, or even nitpicks. That Deadpool was a great film. Then one of my friends, just to ruin it, pointed out a tiny, trivial flaw. Spoiler
Colossus should not be able to be choked out, since in his metal form it is long established he doesn't breathe. I collected X-man from 1990-2001 and I didn't even pick that until it was pointed out.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Well...it is an adaptation, which means some things might be different.

For example: Spoiler
Deadpool is often shown to have a severe case of multiple personality disorder, but I don't think they alluded to it in this one.
But be sure to punch your friend in the dick, purely on principle :mrgreen:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Oh it's a minor, minor thing to be sure. It really doesn't matter unless they later show this aspect, at which point it's an inconsistency. But the film was so good it doesn't even bother me. My friend just took delight in ruining the perfection with the tiniest smudge.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Thought it was a bit over-rated, was chuckles but not laugh out load to me. Hope they get a bigger budget next time around, could tell they only had 1-2 set pieces. Only read his initial incarnation but didn't mind his lighter style. Was like Star Wars for me, fun and good all around but not must see again or understand why it's owning the box office. More excited that this is going to make R-rated movies make a big come back, not just in the superhero category (though Wolverine 3 rumours are already talking about R rated Old Man Logan style is great).
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

Chimaera wrote:Well...it is an adaptation, which means some things might be different.

Deadpool is often shown to have a severe case of multiple personality disorder, but I don't think they alluded to it in this one.
He does talk to himself a few times, maybe its an inner monologue? In comics its often depicted as a narrative box as opposed to a thought bubble or physical speech bubble, might be one of those things that just cannot be translated properly to film? Especailly if its in his own voice it might have been confusing on screen.

But honestly i didnt even notice, it was one of those things i kind of glossed over cause they got so much else right.
Kojiro wrote:I was discussing this last night with friends, and pointed out that for the first time in ages I didn't have any complaints, or even nitpicks. That Deadpool was a great film. Then one of my friends, just to ruin it, pointed out a tiny, trivial flaw. Spoiler
Colossus should not be able to be choked out, since in his metal form it is long established he doesn't breathe. I collected X-man from 1990-2001 and I didn't even pick that until it was pointed out.
Maybe its cause ive seen so many people choked on screen in action movies, i didnt even really register it that she was choking him, i assumed she was attempting to separate his head from his shoulders, and he didnt want to have any of that. And, bonus if you think of it that way, no nitpick!
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Is it also long established in the comics that
Spoiler
the sight of someone shot in the head will cause Colossus to lose his lunch :lol:
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Chimaera wrote:Well...it is an adaptation, which means some things might be different.

It's not necessarily that he has multiple personality disorder, it's part of his medium awareness.

In some of the comics there would be yellow thought boxes for Deadpool and white ones which represented the narrator/writer. They would frequently argue about things.

Deadpool is aware of the way his thought processes are represented in comic form as well.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Finally saw it (though I missed the beginning).

Okay, that was... different.

At the risk of sounding like a prude, I did find some of the humour off-putting (particularly when they started getting into rape joke territory), and gratuitous violence and vulgarity isn't generally my thing. But I knew what kind of movie it was going in (though I admit I was still surprised to see full frontal nudity in a superhero film).

Also, the film came off as something of a vanity project for Ryan Reynolds; and rather predictable, cliche love story aside, it didn't feel like it had much heart to it, though maybe that's just me.

Still, their were some genuinely funny jokes (like the Wolverine's balls bit at the beginning), and some of the fight scenes were well-done, even though I am not a fan of heavy use of slow motion.

I don't know if it has long-term viability as a franchise, because this is a film that relies on pushing boundaries and being outrageous for a lot of its humour and appeal, and that means they'll be under a lot of pressure to keep one-upping themselves. And stylistically, it doesn't really fit with the other X-men or Marvel films (though that might be a good thing, for the sake of variety). However, as a one-off stand alone film, it was alright. And the references to the X-men are limited and non-specific enough that it works as that, for the most part.

Nonetheless, I also think that because of that, and because of Marvel references they included in the film, it could be fit fairly well into the MCU, Deadpool's meta-jokes/fourth wall stuff and the tonal differences notwithstanding. In fact, I get the feeling that the film makers wanted people to feel like this was a Marvel film, as much as they could without actually making it official.

I'm also rather embarrassed that I got through the whole film without recognizing Morena Baccarin. Still, nice to see one of the old Firefly alumni gracing the screen again.

So, I'll give it a six out of ten, maybe, and it makes a nice break from both the Marvel films (which have gotten rather monotonous in their tone) and the grimdark tendencies of DC.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'll add that while strong character development was probably not this film's top priority, I did note that Deadpool doesn't really change much during the film (except, perhaps, that he becomes a more extreme version of what he was before). He was a wise-ass asshole with a chivalrous streak before his transformation, and he was an even bigger wise-ass asshole with a chivalrous streak afterward.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

GuppyShark wrote:Is it also long established in the comics that
Spoiler
the sight of someone shot in the head will cause Colossus to lose his lunch :lol:
Spoiler
Personalities of characters are far more elastic than their powers, if only because we accept that environment affects personality. In fact many comic book readers not only have no problem with these changes (such as myself) but enjoy them immensely- just look at Age of Apocalypse or the changes made to characters in the Ultimates version. Powers are more consistent.

There's a version of Colossus that will refuse to fight for Xavier. There's a version who will actively betray the X-Men and sucker punch a team mate in battle. There's a version who will crush enemies heads like grapes and will crush the love of his life to death in a rage. I have no problem with the DP version they made, even if it does need to breathe because they got so very much right about him (and the film in general). As I said, it's the tiniest smudge of what I consider to be nearly perfect- don't mistake it for a real complaint.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The spoiler tags are still shot to shit, I see :P

Maybe a mod can change the thread title to include (spoilers)?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Given how insane Deadpool is, it also wouldn't exactly be unbelievable to assume that a lot of the dialog that we saw was really what Deadpool filtered through his brain. Especially considering how Colossus was practically begging him to be an X-Man.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

GuppyShark wrote:Is it also long established in the comics that
Spoiler
I Did Not Know That! I had wondered.

And I also did not recognize Anora from Firefly. I should turn in my Browncoat. It was only pointed out to me today, and I was in total shock.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

If you mean Morena Baccarin, I'm afraid its "Inara".
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I envy the tailoring ability of all these nascent superheroes! :wink:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

biostem wrote:I envy the tailoring ability of all these nascent superheroes! :wink:
Yeah. They never really showed how Deadpool made the suite, did they?
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
biostem wrote:I envy the tailoring ability of all these nascent superheroes! :wink:
Yeah. They never really showed how Deadpool made the suite, did they?

There was one scene where he starts with a hoodie and ski mask, then switches to a sort of patchwork hoodie and proto-mask, (both were white and black), then you see him running some red and black material through a sewing machine to end up with his signature outfit.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Chimaera wrote:The spoiler tags are still shot to shit, I see :P

Maybe a mod can change the thread title to include (spoilers)?

The point I was trying to make in there (which worked in the preview) was simply an observation. Namely that when it comes to comic book character depictions, powers seem to be one of the more consistent traits while personalities are one of the most varied. Hell, one of the most fun aspect of comics are the alternate reality/reboots where you get a new version of a favorite character.

This particular version of Colossus I quite like, mostly because they got his metal form dead fucking right. He's huge, he's got the crew cut, a Russian accent and looks 100% how I imagine he should. I don't really care about a small error with his power, or that he's particularly gentlemanly or has a weak stomach. But not caring isn't the same as not noticing.
Dragon Clan Veritech