Deadpool

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Re: Deadpool

Post by Marko Dash »

isn't vanessa the one supposed to be copycat?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Marko Dash wrote:isn't vanessa the one supposed to be copycat?
Different characters, same name.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Saw the movie enjoyed it greatly. As soon as I saw the giant bag of weapons I knew they were going to repeat the joke.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Saw it last night. I have no knowledge of any of the backstory of the character, and frankly I don't care, because this film was too fucking hilarious to care about not getting the odd reference.

MY mate and I started laughing at the fake opening credits (Starring God's Perfect Idiot, a Hot Chick, a British Villain, a Gratuitous Cameo and an Emo Teenager to name a few) and kept going for pretty much all of it.
Spoiler
Also, what the fuck was that wrecked Helicarrier doing there? Maybe it's one of the second-generation ones that got trashed in Winter Soldier.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Mr Bean wrote:Saw the movie enjoyed it greatly. As soon as I saw the giant bag of weapons I knew they were going to repeat the joke.
It wasn't supposed to be though. Fox cut 7 million from the budget before shooting so they repeated the gag as a way of cutting what was supposed to be a big ass shoot out.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Wait, so this film is Spoiler
part of the same Marvel universe as Avengers, etc.?

I thought Marvel didn't have the film rights for X-Men and that Deadpool was an X-Men character.
Or is it just a one-off gag that's not meant to be taken seriously?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Wait, so this film is

Fox owns the rights, so it has no place in the existing MCU as things currently stand.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I saw it a few days ago. It was fun and I'm probably going to see it again this Tuesday to spot more easter eggs, have another good laugh, and to support more R rated movies.
Spoiler
Did anybody else notice that Deadpool had eyelashes even though he was hairless everywhere else?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

General Zod wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Wait, so this film is

Fox owns the rights, so it has no place in the existing MCU as things currently stand.
The MCU is strictly a Paramount show from what I understand.

Fox has the rights to X-Men and many derivative characters thereof, including Deadpool. They also have the rights to Fantastic Four, not that that's going to do them any good right now.

Sony has Spider-Man and Blade (IIRC?) but Blade isn't going anywhere without Wesley Snipes and Spider-Man is also probably not going to have another movie for awhile after the flop that was ASM2. Sony is letting Marvel have Spider-Man in a few movies, though.
Spoiler
I'm pretty sure the Helicarrier is supposed to be strictly an in-joke. It appears proportionally off from those in the Marvel movies, and doesn't quite appear to have the same design, but come on. It's a straight-up Helicarrier. That said, like hell will they actually acknowledge the MCU proper apart from snide references like Deadpool's little jokes about Samuel L Jackson or Captain America.

Could they quietly agree to let Marvel have Wolverine and Deadpool and maybe some of the X-Men for the big tentpole event that Infinity War is going to be? Sure. But I don't really see it happening.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Now that I've actually seen the movie . . . it was just about as perfect as you can expect it to get under the circumstances. The bad guy was mediocre but Reynolds really pulls it together and the writing was spot on.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Well that was underwhelming. It feels like an attempt at a superhero version of a Zucker brothers film. The jokes which poked fun at the current superhero film genre and wider pop culture were decent, but will likely feel pretty dated by the time this is on home release. (Mama June and Jared from Subway references, ouch.)

I understand the characters enough to get what the film was trying to do, and there were great moments, but they were suspended in a lot of mediocrity.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

What I liked about it was that Deadpool's badass posturing actually harmed him. If he'd actually cooperated with the X-men from the start, he would have captured the villain much sooner, or at least he wouldn't have escaped, and been able to unravel his whole organization once the professor got to root around inside his head.

In a lot of films about badass characters, there's the fiction that reasonable people get nothing done; in this Deadpool would have gotten a lot more done if he was mature enough to work with others from the start.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Wait, so this film is Spoiler
part of the same Marvel universe as Avengers, etc.?

I thought Marvel didn't have the film rights for X-Men and that Deadpool was an X-Men character.

I think it was kind of a gag. From what I saw of it I thought it resembled the classic comic book version much more so than any that have appeared in the other Marvel movies. I'm basing that partly on how it looked and because the director was pretty vocal about making Colossus look like he looks in the comics. I could just see him throwing in a gag about how he thought it should look.

It could also be a gag that could be used to retcon the two "universes" back into one combined Marvel Universe.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Tsyroc wrote: I think it was kind of a gag. From what I saw of it I thought it resembled the classic comic book version much more so than any that have appeared in the other Marvel movies. I'm basing that partly on how it looked and because the director was pretty vocal about making Colossus look like he looks in the comics. I could just see him throwing in a gag about how he thought it should look.

It could also be a gag that could be used to retcon the two "universes" back into one combined Marvel Universe.
Don't expect any sort of combination as long as Fox has their stranglehold on the X-Men stuff. Almost everything referencing the MCU in Deadpool was a nudge nudge wink wink kind of thing.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Why not... Deadpool was done by Fox too?

I enjoyed it although I didn't get a lot of the references due to presumably not being American and that not a big comic fan... however it was overall funny and action orientated enough not to matter, probably wouldn't watch it again though and imagine it will date horribly. The wife enjoyed it too which is rare for a super hero film... she usually doesn’t stay away for them!
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Darth Tanner wrote:Why not... Deadpool was done by Fox too?

I enjoyed it although I didn't get a lot of the references due to presumably not being American and that not a big comic fan... however it was overall funny and action orientated enough not to matter, probably wouldn't watch it again though and imagine it will date horribly. The wife enjoyed it too which is rare for a super hero film... she usually doesn’t stay away for them!
The Marvel Cinematic Universe proper is a Paramount show, not Fox. Different studio. Deadpool can cross over with X-Men, but X-Men and Deadpool can't cross over with the MCU without some serious wrangling between the two studios.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Isn't MCU a disney show now, still not fox though.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:Isn't MCU a disney show now, still not fox though.
Well, Disney owns Paramount (I think?). Never mind-- Wikipedia notes that the relationship between Marvel and Paramount ended ~2012. After that point, they've been distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, formerly Buena Vista.

WDSMP distributes the MCU films, which are actually produced and made by Marvel Studios, which is bankrolled by Disney.

Paramount was a mistake on my part, though they did distribute the earlier Marvel Studios films.
LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

Rarely can i say this about something, but it was actually better than i was expecting it to be, and i had fairly high expectations.

From the little things, which in deadpool are important, to the bigger things it was primarily spot on.

All the little easter eggs, the nods to this or that, were really great. The crude types of humor were also spot on.

Overall a fantastic experience, and the first movie in several years i would go see a second time in theaters, i may even shell out for Imax.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Two thumbs-up from me.
Was very pleasantly surprised.

A lot of the time, the fourth-wall breaking wasn't pointless and gratuitous.. I loved how they lampshaded a lot of meaningful things.
There are several, but the best one was when I started forming the thought about how it was peculiar that the X-Mansion is a location that shows up several times, but only two X-Men ever appear (for obvious out-of-universe production reasons).. and then he outright goes and says exactly what's already obvious to the audience :D

I believe the phrase "Stewart or McAvoy?" also pops up somewhere.. and if you actually think about him saying it in-universe, it would just sound like some random babbling to dismiss as absolute nonsense. Obviously Colossus has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.. and that makes it even more hilarious.

Edit: This got me thinking, actually.. does the movie Deadpool know he's in a work of fiction? He does mention Ryan Reynolds at some point.. but does he consciously know it?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Loved it - I haven't had that much fun in the cinema since GOTG. They seriously pulled it off with this movie, and I couldn't be happier that it's been as successful as it has.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Edit: Question: where does it stand continuity-wise to the other X-Men films? Is it a stand-alone alternate universe story?
Post (Days of Future Past) Reboot 'present day'

Kind of straddles into MCU territory aswell, The final battle is set at the site of a wrecked "definitely NOT a SHIELD" Helicarrier, with Francis' "definitely NOT Hydra STRIKE" Commandos...featuring "most definitely NOT an agent of Hydra" Bob.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

FedRebel wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: Edit: Question: where does it stand continuity-wise to the other X-Men films? Is it a stand-alone alternate universe story?

Kind of straddles into MCU territory aswell, The final battle is set at the site of a wrecked "definitely NOT a SHIELD" Helicarrier, with Francis' "definitely NOT Hydra STRIKE" Commandos...featuring "most definitely NOT an agent of Hydra" Bob.
There's no official tie-in with the MCU but they make as many references as they can legally get away with.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

FedRebel wrote:
Did everyone catch the joke?

Colossus: Come Deadpool, I will take you to see the Professor.

Deadpool: Stewart or McAvoy? I'm so confused!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

General Zod wrote:
FedRebel wrote:

There's no official tie-in with the MCU but they make as many references as they can legally get away with.
Well, it has the nice benefit of laying the ground work if they ever do get the legal go ahead to merge the two continuities.

Although the X-Men films are kind of their own thing (or things, given the continuity changes), and I think any merger without starting X-Men over from scratch would be awkward.