Deadpool

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crown
NARF

Deadpool

Post by Crown »

I've seen it and it is everything you expect it to be. They did not back down from the source material, Ryan Reynolds hits this character right out of the park.

The fight choreography is amazing, although some of the camera work is a little disappointing (only a little) , but given this is the director's first movie, we can forgive this. The pacing is good, it uses Man of Steel back story woven through the movie rather than all at once technique so we don't get too bogged down in exposition. The comedy is unapologetically crude, rude and hilarious. No one is spared (not even the star of the film) and most especially the studio gets heavily shat on for not providing a big enough budget up front so they can do more X-Men world building.

There are moments during this movie where I was legitimately hunched over with a serious case of the giggles, I really have to emphasise this; it is a comedy movie more than anything else with a character who is so outrageous and plenty of gratuitous violence. Actually, no fuck that. The violence wasn't gratuitous at all; our protagonist is a gun-totting, dual sword wielding mercenary cutting through a swath of bad guys. So this was all warranted violence! And blood, so much blood!

There is a end of credits scene so small (very minor) spoilers;
Spoiler
The end credit scene is an homage to Ferris Bueller's Day Off with Deadpool dressed in a bathrobe (with a full costume underneath of course) admonishing us for still being here and telling us to shoo. But he does admit that there will be a sequel (but that Fox were too much of tight arses to actually green light it in time for them to include a clip in the end credits) and it will be with Cable.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Deadpool

Post by Grumman »

Crown wrote:Spoiler
But he does admit that there will be a sequel (but that Fox were too much of tight arses to actually green light it in time for them to include a clip in the end credits) and it will be with Cable.
I have not seen it but I'm glad that it's good, and I'm especially glad of what you say here.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I have also seen the Movie.

It is a Rom-Com. Heavy on the Comedy, touching with the Romance. And then you get all the nice wonderful Ultra-Violence with added T&A.

What are you waiting for? GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Might see it next Tuesday (local theatre charges significantly less on Tuesday for some reason).

Edit: Question: where does it stand continuity-wise to the other X-Men films? Is it a stand-alone alternate universe story?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote:(local theatre charges significantly less on Tuesday for some reason).
That seems pretty common. All the theatres around here do the same.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

The wife and I are planning on seeing it this Sunday. Yes, Deadpool on fucking Valentine's Day. It looks like it's gonna be dumb in the best possible way.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I might either go see it tonight or Saturday. By myself since my potential date shut me down. :?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

General Zod wrote:I might either go see it tonight or Saturday. By myself since my potential date shut me down. :?
If he/she turned you down because Deadpool, then you're probably better off without mein fruend.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Chimaera wrote:
General Zod wrote:I might either go see it tonight or Saturday. By myself since my potential date shut me down. :?
If he/she turned you down because Deadpool, then you're probably better off without mein fruend.
She apparently was on the fence about the movie and was going to be "really busy" this weekend. So whatever.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Might see it next Tuesday (local theatre charges significantly less on Tuesday for some reason).

Edit: Question: where does it stand continuity-wise to the other X-Men films? Is it a stand-alone alternate universe story?
I don't really know. Deadpool asks which prof X.
If it means anything, Colossus is portrayed vastly different than from the movies so far, other than that no events arementioned.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Lost Soal wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Might see it next Tuesday (local theatre charges significantly less on Tuesday for some reason).

I don't really know. Deadpool asks which prof X.
If it means anything, Colossus is portrayed vastly different than from the movies so far, other than that no events arementioned.
Well the present (ish) version of the X-men just got a time travel based reboot, I think Colossus has only ever appeared in the present so he got rewritten by the wibbly wobbly timy wimy.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

I will echo the general chorus of "go see this movie". Even if you don't know who Deadpool is or understand all the genre-savvy wisecracks he makes, you will still find the movie over-the-top hilarious.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Deadpool needs someone to bounce off - hopefully adding Cable to the next film fixes that. I found it underwhelming, it felt like a rehash of something I'd already seen before.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

went to see it around noon today, they definitely nailed to character. they even managed to get bob!Agent Of Hydra! a cameo.

this was the most laughter i've ever heard out of theater audience.

i had to snicker a bit at parents who drug their kids out during the show due to blood, tits, and dirty jokes. what the hell were they expecting? hadn't they seen any of the trailers? this is not your normal family friendly superhero, and because of that, it's awesome.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You'd think the R rating would have tipped off those parents, except people are too fucking oblivious these days.

I'll have to wait for DVD to see it, which is a shame, because that would be an EPIC Valentine's Day movie for us.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Broomstick wrote:You'd think the R rating would have tipped off those parents, except people are too fucking oblivious these days.

I'll have to wait for DVD to see it, which is a shame, because that would be an EPIC Valentine's Day movie for us.
They did the same with Watchmen.
"Its a superhero movie, that'll keep the kids h.. Oh my god thats a HUUGE dick."
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Broomstick wrote:You'd think the R rating would have tipped off those parents, except people are too fucking oblivious these days.

Parents have always been too fucking stupid to leave the kids at home during violent gorefests that are totally inappropriate for children. It's not the movie's fault they have the IQ of a retarded watermelon but it's the movie that always takes the blame.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

General Zod wrote:

Parents have always been too fucking stupid to leave the kids at home during violent gorefests that are totally inappropriate for children. It's not the movie's fault they have the IQ of a retarded watermelon but it's the movie that always takes the blame.
Well it's the same thing that causes M-Rated (or 18+ here in EU) games to be accused of "corrupting the children" even though children shouldn't be playing those games but some people are just too stupid or lazy to care.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Don't be absurd. It's always the material's fault for existing. Why would it be the parent's responsibility to see their kids aren't exposed to it?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

This might surprise some of you given my "censorship is the evilz!!1!!" posts recently, but I'm blaming the cinema a bit for this. I worked in a cinema all through my uni days, and whenever an instance similar to this would crop up we'd either refuse to issue the 'child' ticket for R rated movies (self explanatory) or if it was MA 15+ we'd get into a conversation with the parents and be specific if they were okay with their child watching glorious blood, tits, ass and dick on a giant screen with rude language.

I'm just wondering if the box office bothered in these instances.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

What you're talking about there isn't censorship, it's informed consent.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

{double post}

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Ozzy Man's review is up; :D

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I think the best word to describe the movie is gratuitous. The violence, the profanity, the nudity, the generally crude humor... And I wouldn't have it any other way. My wife thoroughly enjoyed it, too.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Saw it last night. Holy balls. I have a decent amount to say but I'm not sure how much of it qualifies as spoilers, so hell, I'll just spoiler everything below this point...
Spoiler
There are a ridiculous number of shots at other movies. Hell, in the opening credits, there's a wallet photo of a guy wearing a cheesy Green Lantern costume. A People magazine with Ryan Reynolds. Later, another People magazine with Hugh Jackman. Who DP distinctly references a couple of times, I think. And, an action figure of the shitty Deadpool from the shitty Wolverine movie :D

They definitely weren't shy with the ultra-violence. But one of the funniest parts of the entire movie happens when DP gets annoyed at Colossus and starts... trying... to hit him. Oh my stars and garters. That was fucking hilarious.

They were also not shy with the T&A... or the D, either (you get a distinct eyeful of twig and berries in one bit). The Stan Lee cameo was awesome, though (DJ in the strip club!).

I was not necessarily... impressed by how they changed the way Wade got his powers. I get that for obvious reasons they didn't want to repeat the X-Men Origins: Wolverine story. But in this movie, there's no reference to Weapon X or the Weapon-Plus program at all. On the other hand, it's a distinctly 'modern' movie (reference is made, for example, to Taken 3, which only came out a year or two ago), and the implication is that Wade only underwent the process a few years or so ago. So obviously enough that doesn't really jive with Wolverine undergoing the Weapon X process in the 70s. Still, it stands out to me. The average movie watcher probably wouldn't make the connection. Not a big deal, just slightly annoying.

The villain was also... a bit less than impressive to me. Of course they couldn't use anybody really ridiculous, I get that. MODOK would have been absurd. AIM, with the big yellow biohazard suits, would've been silly. Doctor Bong? Forget it. Zombie-Pool? Somehow I don't think the movies are going to touch the Marvel Zombies line with a 100-foot stick. Still, Francis was... kind of boring. Kind of a generic sadistic bad guy doctor hunk type guy. His only shtick was he couldn't feel pain, and was apparently super-strong and tough as well. Meh? Gina Carano as 'Angel' was a little more interesting, and surprisingly good looking (though that hairdo was a bit absurd IMO). I'm sure I'm not the only one who wished we could have gotten a better look at her little accident ;)

Loose end left hanging: Indian taxi driver with what is now probably a dead body in his boot and a bag full of guns. We never do find out what happens there.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead was fun. And surprisingly powerful. I hope someone calcs her final explosion sometime. Colossus was... this is interesting though, I think we were seeing him the way Deadpool sees him, to a certain extent. Like when DP blows off the bad guy's head and Colossus starts barfing.

What else, what else?

Ooh yeah. HELICARRIER! There was a damn SHIELD Helicarrier in that junk yard that they were fighting on! (And what the hell is a Helicarrier doing in a civilian junk yard anyway?) Still, awesome reference :D

Colossus and NSW head out in the old-style SR-71 Blackbird. Nice :D and I LOVE that they used the original X-Men mansion... but still complained about not being able to have any other X-men in the movie. Wanna bet they'll overdo it in the next one?

That's about it for now. The jokes were mostly all on point and kinda awesome, but you know what one of the best parts of the movie was?

Wade gets the girl. And the girl is alive. And Wade's alive. And she WANTS to be with him.

No bullshit "he wins but the girl dies" ending. No lame "the girl's alive but wants nothing to do with him after she sees his scrotum-head" ending. No stupid "he leaves her alone out of LOVE" conclusion. He fights the bad guy, he saves the girl, he GETS the girl, he WINS. Fuck. Yeah.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.