New Suicide Squad trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Suicide Squad trailer

Post by FaxModem1 »

Rogue 9 wrote:So as someone completely unfamiliar with the source material, someone thought putting Batman's rogue's gallery together and turning them loose on a problem was a good idea, why? :wtf:
Task Force X(unofficially known as the Suicide Squad) is composed of 'supervillains'(not just Batman villains) who are in US custody. Instead of having them waste government money having them rot there, they have them depose dictators, fight terrorists, or other problems that threaten the US government that the US government personally can't get involved in due to the possible backlash. The criminals all have explosives in the back of their necks so that if they don't play ball, they lose their heads. They also usually have two babysitters in Colonel Rick Flagg and whatever hero agrees to work for the US government.

In exchange for doing this, the bad guys get years taken off their sentence at whatever supermax they were at.

Essentially, it's an excuse to have books about the morally gray of the DC universe fighting against an even worse evil. It's blown up in their faces just as much as its worked in the comics.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

FaxModem1 wrote:It's blown up in their faces just as much as its worked in the comics.

:roll:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Also, the US government of the DC universe is a lot less...civilized than the Marvel or real world US government. It's sort of the exchange for how high paragon the heroes are, the government is much worse.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The thing is, classic superheroes don't really work in a setting where the government is functional. Said "heroes" are, by definition, vigilantes. People who take the law into their own hands. Which can only really be justified in a setting where the government is either 1. corrupt, 2. incompetent, 3. overwhelmed, or 4. a combination of the preceding.

A while ago, I posted a thread in which I suggested that the superhero genre is predisposed towards Right wing politics. I got a lot of flack for that, but the fact is, classic superheroes don't really work in a setting where the government works. And while negative depictions of the government are not inherently Right wing, I think we can all agree that their is significant ideological overlap.

Take Batman- in a society where the police and courts were doing their job, their would not only be no need for Batman to catch criminals, but he would be an active menace to the public (unless he retired). Batman only works as a concept because law enforcement in Gotham is a clusterfuck.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Rogue 9 wrote:So as someone completely unfamiliar with the source material, someone thought putting Batman's rogue's gallery together and turning them loose on a problem was a good idea, why? :wtf:
I'm going to toss in a "because they're goddamned idiots" as another reason for it.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

New new trailer.

Yeah. But more Joker a hint of Batfleck. Bit more of everyone. Strangely not excited.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

It's not just from Batman's rogue gallery - it's supposed to be more baseline villains from all over DC - there isn't just 1 "Suicide Squad". Check out the animated movie "Assault on Arkham". There's also Task Force X from Justice League Unlimited, which is a very good episode.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Croc and Harley are bat rogues but IIRC Deadshot isn't and I've not even heard of that pyrokinectic guy so I don't know he belongs and boomerang was a Flash rogue IIRC.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Boomerang's definitely Barry/Wally but Deadshot IS a Me villain. No idea who that pyrokinetic is. All the flamers that come immediately to mind are tech-based, unless they went with the nu52 idiocy of having the Rogue's gadgets turned into superpowers.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Deadshot kinda spreads across the supers a bit, though he is noted for going up against Batman-- he's gone up against Green Arrow and Flash before IIRC. The Suicide Squad has included such interesting members in the past as Catman... *that* would be an interesting move, but I doubt they would have such an obvious Batman expy in the movies.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Given that this trailer used Ballroom Blitz, and the last one used Bohemian Rhapsody, I wonder which part of the Wayne's World soundtrack they'll be using next?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Elheru Aran wrote:Deadshot kinda spreads across the supers a bit, though he is noted for going up against Batman-- he's gone up against Green Arrow and Flash before IIRC. The Suicide Squad has included such interesting members in the past as Catman... *that* would be an interesting move, but I doubt they would have such an obvious Batman expy in the movies.
Assault on Arkham has Black Spider, who is basically a Batman that kills, (and not in that "I won't kill you, but I won't save you either" sort of way).
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Usually the problem itself is one the powers at be want to keep secret from Batman et al. But they still need overpowered individuals to deal with that problem.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, from the new trailer it seems to be yet another "Gentlemen, how do we kill Superman?" plot. So I guess that explains that.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Crazedwraith wrote:New new trailer.

[youtube]<snip>[/youtube]

Yeah. But more Joker a hint of Batfleck. Bit more of everyone. Strangely not excited.
I'm diagnosing myself as having officially drunk the WB/DC Kool-Aid (and that's really a horrible reference when I think about it), because I'm fucking ready for this like right now. I'm ready for this, Wonder Woman, Justice League Pt 1 & 2 and everything else they've got in the pipeline. Give it to me WB/DC ... give it to me right now!
Rogue 9 wrote:Well, from the new trailer it seems to be yet another "Gentlemen, how do we kill Superman?" plot. So I guess that explains that.
Not really; Amanda Waller is remarkably gifted at getting other people to work against their best interests for her!

(also have you seen BvS?)
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Crown wrote:

I'm diagnosing myself as having officially drunk the WB/DC Kool-Aid (and that's really a horrible reference when I think about it), because I'm fucking ready for this like right now. I'm ready for this, Wonder Woman, Justice League Pt 1 & 2 and everything else they've got in the pipeline. Give it to me WB/DC ... give it to me right now!
I'm the opposite. BvS put me off everything but Wonder Woman.
Rogue 9 wrote:Well, from the new trailer it seems to be yet another "Gentlemen, how do we kill Superman?" plot. So I guess that explains that.
Not really; Amanda Waller is remarkably gifted at getting other people to work against their best interests for her!

(also have you seen BvS?)
BvS Spoilers Spoiler
Like It's going to stick. IMDB Is already crediting Cavil for Justice League.

Though tbf Waller's speech seemed past tense to me.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Spoiler
We all know that, Cavill is in training for JL right now. What I was getting at is that this takes place after BvS, so in universe Superman is still dead at this point, and they're discussing him in past tense "what if Superman had, what could we have done" etc.
Crazedwraith wrote:
Crown wrote:

Well not to be patronising, but that sucks. I'm like balls-deep in love with what they're making (even with all the flaws). :D
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, calling Deadshot a Batman villain is rather disingenuous, due to his appearing in a wide spectrum of comics. You might as well say that the Punisher is still just a Spider-man villain if you're going to be that pedantic about it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

What I'm more interested in than the team of antiheroes is who exactly they're fighting. Will Joker be just a series of extended flashbacks? Are they going up against a New God? Is Enchantress up to serious magic-whammying mojo? And does that imply that there is actual magic in the new DCCU?

And, I keep seeing a guy wearing a massive eyeball helmet. Is Brother Eye or OMAC going to make an appearance?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Elheru Aran wrote:And, I keep seeing a guy wearing a massive eyeball helmet. Is Brother Eye or OMAC going to make an appearance?
It's a member of Joker's gang. Others are wearing a Batman Halloween costume, a panda costume, and other weird crap.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Elheru Aran wrote:What I'm more interested in than the team of antiheroes is who exactly they're fighting. Will Joker be just a series of extended flashbacks? Are they going up against a New God? Is Enchantress up to serious magic-whammying mojo? And does that imply that there is actual magic in the new DCCU?
Well they've announced Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Black Adam in the Shazam movie (he would have made an excellent Shazam as well), so yeah, magic is confirmed for the DCCU.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

FaxModem1 wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:And, I keep seeing a guy wearing a massive eyeball helmet. Is Brother Eye or OMAC going to make an appearance?
It's a member of Joker's gang. Others are wearing a Batman Halloween costume, a panda costume, and other weird crap.
Missed that... the whole trailer doesn't really dwell on the action sequences long enough to give you a real idea of what's happening. Which may not be a good thing.

Given how much time was devoted to flashbacks in Batman v Superman, and given how apparently they drew a decent amount of inspiration from Deadpool necessitating reshoots... I'm starting to suspect that most of the Joker sequences are going to be flashbacks. Especially since the Batmobile shows up, even though it was destroyed in BvS. Not impossible for Batman to have a few, of course, or fixing up his original.

But frankly, since I can't hear any narration going on in the trailers, it's hard to say for sure what the storyline is going to be like. The only certain thing is that the Suicide Squad is put together to go after *someone*.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Crown wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
Crown wrote:
Well not to be patronising, but that sucks. I'm like balls-deep in love with what they're making (even with all the flaws). :D
Well I'm happy you're happy.

I'm not hyped about a lot of the upcoming stuff. Before BvS there were Suicide Squad, X-Men and Civil War trailers. Not hyped for any of them.

But maybe I'm just a kill joy.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I don't know if this is new news but...

Suicide Squad to be PG-13

The article is sardonic, but really I don't actually care. Movies can be fun without dropping f-bombs all over the place.