New Suicide Squad trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

New Suicide Squad trailer

Post by ANGELUS »

I don't know about you, but to me it's looking very good:

https://youtu.be/CmRih_VtVAs
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: New Suicide Squad trailer

Post by Batman »

This could be awesome as a standalone. Except it's DC, and as DC, it sucks.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

The choice of Bohemian Rhapsody as a soundtrack definitely pushed this into laughing-like-a-tickled-hyena territory for me. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I'll definitely see it... I just hope that they keep it "fun", without trying to force characters who clearly aren't good into becoming bona fide good guys.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Batman wrote:This could be awesome as a standalone. Except it's DC, and as DC, it sucks.
:?:

It looks like it could be fun. This and the jokes in the BvS trailer make me hopeful DC have learnt the lesson they can be fun.

Still I have to wonder if the implication is they assembled a team of supervillians including Harley Quinn to tackle.... The Joker.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Batman wrote:This could be awesome as a standalone. Except it's DC, and as DC, it sucks.
:?:

It looks like it could be fun. This and the jokes in the BvS trailer make me hopeful DC have learnt the lesson they can be fun.
They look like they're trying to be grimdark and off-beat at the same time with this one.
Still I have to wonder if the implication is they assembled a team of supervillians including Harley Quinn to tackle.... The Joker.
That definitely would fall under "utterly moronic" to anyone who knows the first thing about Harley Quinn.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Still I have to wonder if the implication is they assembled a team of supervillians including Harley Quinn to tackle.... The Joker.
That definitely would fall under "utterly moronic" to anyone who knows the first thing about Harley Quinn.
From the trailer it seems like they are fighting something bigger and more powerful (whatever took down that plane and those military vehicles at 1:07, and is destroying the subway at 1:44 and 1:52).
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Having Harley on the team is kind of what drove the plot, at least in the comics, when Joker got involved... I'm thinking she's put on the team *before* they know anything about Joker's presence. Obviously she would be a liability otherwise.

It looks like a pretty fun movie, actually. I'm not 100% sold on Smith as Deadshot and I can't quite identify all of the other characters (though Killer Croc is pretty easy, obviously), but it looks like a good Suicide Squad movie. That comic always had a different tone and attitude from the rest of the DCU, so I don't have an issue with its flavour.

Jared Leto's Joker... well... is different. What we're seeing here looks better than what we've seen in the teasers so far, though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I trust Will Smith to do as well with the character as writing allows. He's a genuinely good actor, and he can play anywhere between loud-mouthed know-it-all to reserved. If the script gives him something decent, he can make it work.

As to the script, I'm not going to hold my breath. Comedy being present doesn't make the grimdark go away all on its own.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

It looks fun, which is something the DC cinematic universe desperately needs.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

ANGELUS wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Still I have to wonder if the implication is they assembled a team of supervillians including Harley Quinn to tackle.... The Joker.
From the trailer it seems like they are fighting something bigger and more powerful (whatever took down that plane and those military vehicles at 1:07, and is destroying the subway at 1:44 and 1:52).
We see something that looks like a sci-fi-chic nanomachine cloud, a vine-projectile-come-tentacle-monster, and the soldiers they are fighting are certainly humanoid but don't look very human.
FaxModem1 wrote:It looks fun, which is something the DC cinematic universe desperately needs.
Given how utterly dark the first Suicide Squad and BvS trailers were, I wonder if there was an internal upheaval at DC that resulted in trying to not be brooding and horrible all the time. Maybe someone checked the box office numbers for Guardians?
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

If its fun and not bland and grimdark I'll give it a watch. The problem with DC movies so far is they all have been so goddamn serious. The only one that wasn't was Green Lantern and that just sucked.

Marvel has had its grimdark movies too but those movies were atleast fairly colorfu whereas the DC movies all seemed really washed out and dull, especially Man of Steal. Plus the Marvel movies tend to have a funny light movie in between the heavies. Ultron and Winter Soldier were pretty heavy movies but had things like Ant-Mang and I Am Groot between them to give the audience some relief.

But anyway, this looks decent so far. I'm still far more excited for Deadpool but I actually read his comic where SS I only really know Harley and only from the comics.

One thing I read about somewhere else is it looks like Harley is using the New 52 origin rather then her original. In the original she feel in love with the Joker and threw on the white paint whereas in the New 52 she was apparently tortured and tossed into a tank of chemicals. Apparently the former is considered more feminist and the latter just plain sucks like all of the New 52.....ALL OF IT!!!!!!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

What DC movies? Post-Burton/Schumacher there's been 'Superman Returns' which wasn't all that serious, 'Green Lantern' which also wasn't, the Nolan trilogy which was (Batman movies being serious and grimdark-who would've seen that coming) and 'Man of Steel' (which admittely completely blew it, but have fun trying to find a quote of me saying otherwise). So far there 'is' no DC movie universe. None of the others tie into 'Man of Steel'.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Pretty much just your Nolan movies and Man of Steel, really anything after Batman Begins with the exception of GL. Superman Returns was brighter in color mostly but tried to be more serious then the Reeves movies, Super Asthma Boy and Kevin Spacey eating the scenery at times notwithstanding (and this isn't a criticism of Supes Returns, while it was fairly melancholy it was atleast to me a still enjoyable movie despite the plot being kinda stupid and Superman being a baby daddy, how exactly does one go about getting child support from superman anyway? Or for that matter how did he knock Lois up in the first place? Krytonian sperm vs a human women, it'd be like firing a machine gun at a piece of cardboard).

I didn't say they were part of the same universe though just all DC and all part of the DC mission statement of not being Marvel.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Joun_Lord wrote:..... Or for that matter how did he knock Lois up in the first place? Krytonian sperm vs a human women, it'd be like firing a machine gun at a piece of cardboard)
IIRC it ties in to Superman 2 at the time when Superman was stripped of his powers, but I'm not sure that's the official explanation.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Joun_Lord wrote:Or for that matter how did he knock Lois up in the first place? Krytonian sperm vs a human women, it'd be like firing a machine gun at a piece of cardboard).
There are a few suggestions (and slightly gory gotchas for him to avoid) in Larry Niven's old scholarly treatise on the subject, Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I really really hate that 'Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex' garbage. Now if you want to argue biological incompatibility sure, why not? He's an alien afterall. That means him ejaculating will kill a human woman why? Clark routinely manages to not kill humans with everything else he does so it's not like 'everything' he does is automatically superpowered. Why do People believe him having an orgasm will inevitably be?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Batman wrote:I really really hate that 'Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex' garbage. Now if you want to argue biological incompatibility sure, why not? He's an alien afterall. That means him ejaculating will kill a human woman why? Clark routinely manages to not kill humans with everything else he does so it's not like 'everything' he does is automatically superpowered. Why do People believe him having an orgasm will inevitably be?
How much control do you have of exactly how forcefully you ejaculate? Especially when having really amazing sex after years of, presumed, celibacy.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Joun_Lord wrote:If its fun and not bland and grimdark I'll give it a watch. The problem with DC movies so far is they all have been so goddamn serious. The only one that wasn't was Green Lantern and that just sucked.

Marvel has had its grimdark movies too but those movies were atleast fairly colorfu whereas the DC movies all seemed really washed out and dull, especially Man of Steal. Plus the Marvel movies tend to have a funny light movie in between the heavies. Ultron and Winter Soldier were pretty heavy movies but had things like Ant-Mang and I Am Groot between them to give the audience some relief.

But anyway, this looks decent so far. I'm still far more excited for Deadpool but I actually read his comic where SS I only really know Harley and only from the comics.

One thing I read about somewhere else is it looks like Harley is using the New 52 origin rather then her original. In the original she feel in love with the Joker and threw on the white paint whereas in the New 52 she was apparently tortured and tossed into a tank of chemicals. Apparently the former is considered more feminist and the latter just plain sucks like all of the New 52.....ALL OF IT!!!!!!

I don't mind dark if its done well.

I hate dark for the sake of dark, and I hate cynical.

Take Nolan's Batman films- they were dark, but their was often a point to the darkness, it wasn't terribly gratuitous/wallowing in darkness and violence, and the films were, on the whole, fairly optimistic in their outlook, despite some bleak and cynical patches. The stand out examples being the people refusing to blow up the boats in The Dark Knight and the fact that I can't think of any other version of Batman where he retires and lives happily ever after with his true love.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think the problem is the notion that dark=intresting, with a lot of people not realizing that if done poorly a dark character or story is even more limited then an optimistic one.

It's said that a hero needs a good villain to work, well the same works in reverse too an effective antagonist needs well done hero to play of from. Generally in a dramatic work you'll some sort of counterpoint some that the main theme will shine. With the problem with a lot the recent "grimdark" works is that they lack the counterpoint to the darkness making the darkness seem bland and gratuitous rather then an organic part of the story.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I have a nagging suspicion that Suicide Squad is going to be an enjoyable movie that has almost no bearing on the material it's based on aside from some passing resemblance to the characters they're inspired by.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Batman wrote:I really really hate that 'Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex' garbage. Now if you want to argue biological incompatibility sure, why not? He's an alien afterall. That means him ejaculating will kill a human woman why? Clark routinely manages to not kill humans with everything else he does so it's not like 'everything' he does is automatically superpowered. Why do People believe him having an orgasm will inevitably be?
Let's go with biological incompatibility.

first-time-is-always-awkward Pretty much NSFW
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Venator wrote:We see something that looks like a sci-fi-chic nanomachine cloud, a vine-projectile-come-tentacle-monster, and the soldiers they are fighting are certainly humanoid but don't look very human.

I'm guessing the threat they are facing might be supernatural. We get to see the Enchantress on the trailer, but not even once with the team. I have a hunch that she might be the antagonist for the film. We also get to see her acting all scary and stuff in what might be the White House (1:26).

Regarding the Joker, I think he might just show up in flashbacks or to come at Harley's aid when she's in trouble.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

So as someone completely unfamiliar with the source material, someone thought putting Batman's rogue's gallery together and turning them loose on a problem was a good idea, why? :wtf:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Because as villains they're a) expendable and b) as they're available presumably in custody and thus not in a position to say 'no' without risking even 'worse' consequences.