New Suicide Squad trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Re: New Suicide Squad trailer

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I assume it ranks somewhere below The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I enjoyed the parts that didn't feel like a desperate attempt by studio execs to stuff 'edginess' (which I guess is the natural evolution of grimdark) down your throat. Deadshot had some fantastic scenes. The beginning and the end were mostly excellent, but the second act is a trainwreck.

I don't know what the HELL they were doing with Joker. Some moments felt like Leto was owning it, but other times he was just fucking bizarre to watch. Come to think of it, this version of Joker is pretty much the movie distilled into a character - great potential that occasionally surfaces but is overall spoiled by a need to appear artificially wacky and off the chain.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:I assume it ranks somewhere below The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Funnily enough:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/secret ... ter_mitty/
Tomato meter 83%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/trollhunter/
Tomato meter 82%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_se ... itty_2013/
Tomato meter 50%

I guess your list hasn't been updated since 2011. Shame.

---

I didn't like Deadshot's charater. He was too straight. Why hadn't he retired on his investments?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

madd0ct0r wrote:Jesus fuvk guys dont feed the troll.

Im going to go out on a limb and say i liked this version of the joker. It makes sense in a film about harley. The mark hamil version made sense in a film about batman. Harley is a tragic figure defined by her love fir the joker, and for that love to be credible you need a badboy romantic icon joker.
I thought the joker gang costunes were excellent.
Fuck sake, Harley was specifically invented to interact with the Hamill Joker. She came from the animated series.

Hamill's Joker wasn't a badboy romantic, he wasn't even slightly interested in Harley, he was a manipulative asshole who was quite happy to use her fucked up loyalty but didn't care one shit beyond making her useful to him.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Rewatching "Mad Love" recently really hammered home just how off this version of Harley and the Joker were.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Majin Gojira wrote:Rewatching "Mad Love" recently really hammered home just how off this version of Harley and the Joker were.
Off in what way?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Vendetta wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:Jesus fuvk guys dont feed the troll.

Im going to go out on a limb and say i liked this version of the joker. It makes sense in a film about harley. The mark hamil version made sense in a film about batman. Harley is a tragic figure defined by her love fir the joker, and for that love to be credible you need a badboy romantic icon joker.
I thought the joker gang costunes were excellent.
Fuck sake, Harley was specifically invented to interact with the Hamill Joker. She came from the animated series.

Hamill's Joker wasn't a badboy romantic, he wasn't even slightly interested in Harley, he was a manipulative asshole who was quite happy to use her fucked up loyalty but didn't care one shit beyond making her useful to him.

Ah. Sorry. My fuck up. I meant to talk about heath ledger in the dark knight. I shall need to watch a few episodes of the anime i think.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Vendetta wrote:Fuck sake, Harley was specifically invented to interact with the Hamill Joker. She came from the animated series.

Remember that scene where she's crawling all over his desk like a cat while he's working on some new scheme? She's essentially doing a strip-tease for him (in an animated kids show, and I was 11 or so at the time SO I KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON!) and he just pushes her off the desk. That was the day I truly realized just how insane The Joker was. More so than Nicholson Joker because even he couldn't resist Vicky Vale.

No, Hamil Joker is truly the most insane man on Earth. No time for Harley Quinns, only time for Batsy.
madd0ct0r wrote:Out of interest is trollhunter on that list?
I think his post is out there a bit, but I understand the sentiment. Fans have the issue of going both ways when it comes to their IP: "It's shit" or "give it way more credit than they would give off-brand merchandise."

And I have to admit, I'm the same way on certain things: Another shitty MOBA? Pass.
Another shitty MOBA with characters I know like Arthas, Sonya, Raynor, Kerrigan, etc? I'll give it a much more favorable opinion than trash like LoL.

I don't know about you, but I've watched plenty of "bad" movies and enjoyed them a lot more than other people just because of certain actors. One off-hand: Green Lantern. It was basically Van WIlder in a CGI Green suit. I liked it. Had they cast anyone else, and since I have no strong opinion one way or the other about many DC heroes: I would have probably hated it because it was not a good movie. Hated is a strong word though. It was passable enough as a movie: "bored to sleep" fits better.

I'm not saying any of this applies to Suicide Squad because I have little invested in it. But, like I said, I can understand the sentiment.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Fuck sake, Harley was specifically invented to interact with the Hamill Joker. She came from the animated series.

Remember that scene where she's crawling all over his desk like a cat while he's working on some new scheme? She's essentially doing a strip-tease for him (in an animated kids show, and I was 11 or so at the time SO I KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON!) and he just pushes her off the desk. That was the day I truly realized just how insane The Joker was. More so than Nicholson Joker because even he couldn't resist Vicky Vale.

No, Hamil Joker is truly the most insane man on Earth. No time for Harley Quinns, only time for Batsy.
No time for anyone else offing the Bat either. When Harley captured him and was about to dunk him in a tank of piranhas, Joker beat the shit out of her and threw her out of a fifth storey window.

The original Joker/Harley probably could have worked with Ledger's Joker, he was also a manipulative psycho, but his version probably wouldn't have done the "show the barest interest to keep stringing her along" bit.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Gandalf wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote:Rewatching "Mad Love" recently really hammered home just how off this version of Harley and the Joker were.
Off in what way?
The same way all the other DC characters are "off" in these movies: they're not subjectively perfect adaptations of their favorite versions.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I found the movie, I guess middling. Walked out not sure how I felt, didn't really hate anything (well, except the constant out of place music) didn't really love anything.
Enchantress was boring and her Gyrating about looked stupid.
Amanda Waller was an idiot.
The rest I was fine with.
The joker was largely pointless but I was fine with him otherwise. I grew up with him and Harley in the animated series and actually liked the new dinamic between them. What his true performace was like is impossible to say since a lot of his scenes were cut, apparently because test audiences didn't like how sadistic The Joker was.
Other people more attuned then I am have noticed how messed up the editing is, not surprising when Warners apparently hired the comany which edited the trailers to edit the movie, which I believe considering the music.
Of course Warners trotted out Ayers with an executivestanding beside him to say this was definitely his movie and exactly what he intended.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Lost Soal wrote:Of course Warners trotted out Ayers with an executivestanding beside him to say this was definitely his movie and exactly what he intended.
That just means the director's cut will be called an "extended cut" or "special edition."
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

WB has got to be tearing their hair out on the DC movie universe plans. So far, they've had good openings, but will that continue?

Ayes is fine, Suicide Squad is certainly making money off the opening with it's moderate budget, and middling reaction isn't going to sink a career, but three movies in and DCCU still lacks a 'spine,' it's not repairing the damage to goodwill that BvS caused.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Galvatron wrote:
Lost Soal wrote:Of course Warners trotted out Ayers with an executivestanding beside him to say this was definitely his movie and exactly what he intended.
That just means the director's cut will be called an "extended cut" or "special edition."
It doesn't look likely; Snyder had the Ultimate Cut in the can before he was ordered to take off 30mins so they could fit one extra screening a day, but they could 'double speak' it to the public as they wanted to avoid the R rating.

In Ayers case; it appears his movie got killed by edit by committee and that there will be no 'alternate universe edition' in Ayer's own words even though people who saw early screenings are showing that to be a bit of a lie; click for pic.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The movie felt like it was written by 14-year-olds. Everything about it seemed like things that you would think are really awesome, funny, and badass when you're that age, but most of it doesn't translate to a movie that seems to be earnestly trying to appeal to an older audience.

Honestly, I think the soundtrack epitomizes the movie the most. Everything was just so ... on the nose. "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", "Super Freak", "Seven Nation Army", etc. ... ugh. Like the rest of the movie, it isn't BAD, it's just ... kind of lame and uninspired.

(Also, I know that this doesn't really reflect on the performance in the movie in particular, but Jared Leto and the movie's whole stupid publicity campaign around his character have been so grating and obnoxious that it was hard to view it objectively. Like all the "leaked" stories from co-stars talking about him acting crazy, weird behavior in interviews, etc. All of it was a super transparent attempt to drum up publicity by cynically invoking the old rumors about Heath Ledger going crazy playing the character. It made it difficult to actually watch his performance without just thinking about how phony the whole thing is, even by Hollywood standards.)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I saw the film tonight. A full review will have to wait, but bluntly, I despised it. It was twisted, gratuitous, and exploitative, largely lacking in characters I could sympathize with, lacking in emotional weight (which Batman v Superman had for me), and somewhat poorly paced/edited. Although I'll admit to a small amount of bias in that the grimdark/anti-hero thing has never been my preferred style, outside of Batman at least.

The supernatural elements seemed a bit sudden and out of step with the rest of the DCCU thus far. Also, not really having seen much of Waller outside the DCAU (which is ultimately more a children's program), I was a bit surprised by how outright evil she is in this film.

That said, the cast was mostly good, with Smith and Robbie being the obvious standouts, and it had a few good bits that hint at a strong film that might have been (which is always frustrating). Katana was an appealing character, and I wish we'd gotten more of her.

This was definitely one of those "these actors deserve a better film" movies.

I will say that for whatever my personal anecdotes are worth, it seems to be doing fine at the box office. I saw it on a Tuesday night (Tuesdays have discount tickets), and the theatre was fucking packed. Like, they were sending guys around to check if their were any available seats before it started. I don't think it sold out, but it wasn't far short of it. And this is a rather large theatre.

As for Leto's Joker...

His story is very much tied into Harley's, which is problematic for me because Harley is problematic for me. At times they play her as tragic, at times sympathetic, and at other times they're playing what's essentially a brainwashed domestic abuse victim for comedy/sex appeal, and that bothers me. I'm also not sure how I feel about such an overtly sexual incarnation of the Joker, though it could perhaps be seen as just a ploy to manipulate Harley (I don't think so though- his affections seemed genuine, in a very warped and abusive way). I did get the feeling that he was echoing Nicholson's Joker at times- some of his lines sounded like they could almost have come from Nicholson Joker's mouth, and that interpretation was likewise more sexual than Ledger's.

Its not a bad performance, really. Just, like Batman v Superman's Lex, not at all how I'd have portrayed the character.

There's more I could go into, but I'm trying to keep this spoiler-free (beyond stuff that was announced/in trailers pre-release).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

One thing I'll say- for better or worse, Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman both feel like they're trying to capture the feel of the comics more than superhero movies generally do.

They also both evoke the Arkham City game for me at times.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

momochan
Youngling

Post by momochan »

Director Ayers described SS as "Dirty Dozen with supervillains" but it reminded me of Escape from New York. The killer implants, the cynicism-inducing rescuee, the rather slow pacing of walking around a city at night. So for me it was Escape from New York with multiple personality disorder. (Also multiple tattoo disorder).
"If you had fought like a man, you would not have had to die like a dog."
-said the swashbuckling Anne Bonney to her pirate lover "Calico" Jack Rackham, as he was awaiting the gallows in a Nassau jail. Only Bonney and one other crew member were left on deck fighting during a sea battle with authorities in which Rackham surrendered.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:One thing I'll say- for better or worse, Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman both feel like they're trying to capture the feel of the comics more than superhero movies generally do.
They do? Personally I don't feel either of them are nearly as loyal as the Avengers films, or Fox films.

The Romulan Republic wrote: The supernatural elements seemed a bit sudden and out of step with the rest of the DCCU thus far. Also, not really having seen much of Waller outside the DCAU (which is ultimately more a children's program), I was a bit surprised by how outright evil she is in this film.
Comics Waller is much closer to DCAU. EvilWaller is not the norm, normally she's more 'pragmatic, dangerous, often a foe to the heroes, but not a baddie and someone the heroes can work with as well.'
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

The Romulan Republic wrote: The supernatural elements seemed a bit sudden and out of step with the rest of the DCCU thus far. Also, not really having seen much of Waller outside the DCAU (which is ultimately more a children's program), I was a bit surprised by how outright evil she is in this film.
The DCCU so far consists of two other movies and a couple of trailers, one of which explicitly confirms the existence of the Greek Gods, so I don't say how you can really claim its out of step. Its not like its 10 movies in before suddenly saying, Hay MAGIC.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

So saw it in IMAX last night... I'd say it was ok, not great or even good but an enjoyable enough film to watch.

The music was poorly edited in quite a few places, it just kept playing when characters went on to talk about things, likely because they ran out of action before music.
Editing in general was poor with scenes jumping about and the over use of flash backs and sub stories that were of no value.
I got the big impression lots were cut, even scenes from the trailer.
The bad guy henchmen were comically bad, they looked like crap and were all over the place in usability... they go from being immune to heavy rifle fire to being taken down by arm pistols and a baseball bat.

The big bad brother was killed by high explosives... so the military never thought of firing a missile into the building they were in instead of firing at them with guns? There were plenty of missile equipped helicopters about so why the big fuss over having to get seals to apparently kill themselves with explosives under a concrete floor.

Why was Harley in the squad, she isnt a meta human... shes a crazy with a baseball bat.

Apparently the Joker can just take over military helicopters in a war zone... via magic.... the helicopter in question is also magically immune to having a missile hit it head on, leaving the passengers free to chat and have a romantic embrace without even a jolt.

So the world is ending via yet again a giant light in the sky ripped off from the world engine and the Flash, Batman ect are no where to be seen for the 3 days or so this was going on... and yet Batman wants us to leave this sort of thing to him?
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

madd0ct0r wrote:
TithonusSyndrome wrote:I assume it ranks somewhere below The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Funnily enough:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/secret ... ter_mitty/
Tomato meter 83%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/trollhunter/
Tomato meter 82%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_se ... itty_2013/
Tomato meter 50%

I guess your list hasn't been updated since 2011. Shame.

---

I didn't like Deadshot's charater. He was too straight. Why hadn't he retired on his investments?
It was pretty clear in the film that he enjoys killing people. In fact doesn't he even say as much at one point? That comment the soldier guy made to the effect that he's a serial killer who takes money was on the ball.

Love for his daughter (and possibly Harley) aside, he is, like the rest of them, a terrible person.

Edit: corrected grammatical error.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

79% drop

Not looking good for the hold prospects, very much continuing the live-on-opening-weekend trend of the DC films.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Hmm.

I see two possible interpretations of this:

1. The films have a lot of initial enthusiasm, then bad reviews lead to a drop in viewership. If this is the case, then after enough films like this, people will probably lose the "initial enthusiasm", and the franchise is fucked.

2. They have a strong devoted nerd/comics fanbase, which always turns out and will likely keep turning out regardless of reviews for the films' openings, but limited appeal with the larger public.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Probably a bit of both would be my guess though I'd lean a bit more towards the latter.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.