The Edo Tensi Corp

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Corvus 501
Padawan Learner

The Edo Tensi Corp

Post by Corvus 501 »

Given the fact that Orochimaru was constantly looking for resurrection techniques even before he want off the deep end, how likely would it be for him to perfect Edo Tensi to the point where resurrection was a the standard response to any of Kohana's forces kicking the bucket? Also, given all the ways to generate a working body in the Naruto setting, and with all the ways that Edo Tensi is modified in story, would stuffing a summoned soul into a blood clone or similar permaclone body work better than other methods?
Furthermore, do you think that this process would lead to SOP for bandit extermination missions to become capture, not kill, in order to produce Edo Tensi sacrifices? For that matter, would suicidal techniques (except for things like the Dead Demon Seal, or other soul destroying techniques) become commonly used, and would risk taking become more common?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: The Edo Tensi Corp

Post by Purple »

Didn't everyone who he brought back come back wrong? As in under his control puppet wrong? Is that a bug or a feature in the technique?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Being a puppet is a feature, not a bug.

That being said, it is possible for Edo Tensei zombies to be given free will. It is kind of confusing that a "good guy" would create a technique that basically snags a soul, hijacks a corpse, and enslaves the results to your will. Then again, the running theme throughout the series was that the ninja world was incredibly fucked up. Child soldiers, for Christ's sake! Stuffing demonic entities of pure malice into children!

Except in rare cases, an Edo Tensei zombie is always going to be susceptible to being hijacked by whoever summoned them. I could see a lot of ninjas deciding they'd rather remain alive and not become an undying puppet/slave. The technique also doesn't seem to be highly regarded. As I recall, the inventor wasn't the kindest of the Hokages Konoha had.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Corvus 501
Padawan Learner

Post by Corvus 501 »

That's why the technique would be modified. Your not trying to make a quick corps puppet, you are trying to pull a dead persons soul into a cloned body.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

I suspect anybody who knows about Edo Tensei wouldn't want to risk being brought back as the Slave Version, so stupid risks wouldn't go up that much. Of course, they take a lot of pointless risks as it is so it would actually be hard to increase death via stupid risk.

I'm unaware of any permanent cloning jutsu, and genetic experiments seem to be highly frowned upon.The ninja world is so highly fucked up I suspect it would be more socially acceptable to just hijack corpses, stuffing the soul of some badass into them than it would be to grow them a clone body. And every jutsu we've seen that creates a copy can be dismissed.

I don't see many people being willing to go along with it. The need for super zombies also kind of vanished once Naruto seized power from all the ninja villages, forcing peace upon them. Okay, he technically didn't seize power. He did use his most potent technique, though: Talking no Jutsu
Corvus 501
Padawan Learner

Post by Corvus 501 »

The whole premise of this ice is that Orochimaru would not have defected, and in his rescherch perfected resurrection. This means that getting killed is not permanent. Think about this, someone gets silenced and you want their information? One resurrection and you can have it. You loose a S rank nin? Resurrection. Running low on bloodline users? Resurrect those who died. In this version of Kohona, they probably have every single former hokage serving in some capacity or another, and their aging personnel got resurrected into younger bodies. War is no longer a matter of soldiers lives lost, only a matter of resources.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:It is kind of confusing that a "good guy" would create a technique that basically snags a soul, hijacks a corpse, and enslaves the results to your will. Then again, the running theme throughout the series was that the ninja world was incredibly fucked up. Child soldiers, for Christ's sake! Stuffing demonic entities of pure malice into children!
Edo Tensei doesn't hijack a corpse.

It requires the sacrifice of a living person to house the soul you are stealing from the afterlife. It is a supremely evil technique and the guy who came up with it is at the very least morally fucked up through and through.

Tobirama's good guy credentials aren't at all shiny, to say the least.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Once again, the ninja world is incredibly fucked up. And I sincerely think that was the intention.

If there had never been a version created that would allow enslaving the zombie to your will? I could see the ninja world accepting it just fine, even if you need to sacrifice some poor schmuck. I can't think of any jutsu that create a permanent zombie, though, so it'd require literal cloning, and that shit is why Orochimaru defected at all: His experiments were too much even for a group that sees no problem with sending twelve year old kids on potentially deadly missions and expects them to be willing to kill someone.