X-Men: Apocalypse (Now with spoilers and plot discussion!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

X-Men: Apocalypse (Now with spoilers and plot discussion!)

Post by amigocabal »

The trailer is great. Apparently, in this movie, Manhattan gets wrecked.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: X-Men: Apocalypse Trailer

Post by Guardsman Bass »

So business as usual?

It looks good.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

amigocabal wrote:Apparently, in this movie, Manhattan gets wrecked.
Again?

In the Marvel universe the NYC building trades are never in recession.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

That's only because London has sunk beneath the Thames repeatedly, and there's nothing left to rebuild :p

Looks pretty good, Ivan Ooze is looking less oozy, thankfully.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Looks good albiet throwing continuity out of the window. Well I guess not really but the whole style of the X1 debates really makes me doubt there were massive mutant attacks before then.

Still Archangel! w00t! No sign of Wolverine, yay!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, Days of Future Past essentially threw away the entire X-men trilogy and said that this is a reboot, with history being rewritten from the 1970s onward.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Crazedwraith wrote:Looks good albiet throwing continuity out of the window. Well I guess not really but the whole style of the X1 debates really makes me doubt there were massive mutant attacks before then.
Perhaps part of this film involves making everyone in the world forget about some of the worst events that happened in it. Which would be completely implausible if they didn't have the world's most powerful telepath on the payroll...
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It would be interesting if the history alterations from DoFP led to an existence where there were no sentinels because Trask wasn't killed, but also no Manhattan because Apocalypse woke up somehow.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, Days of Future Past essentially threw away the entire X-men trilogy and said that this is a reboot, with history being rewritten from the 1970s onward.
I think Singer can basically reserve the right to pick and choose stuff that "happens" because there are stuff from movies he didn't direct that he nor fans possibly didn't care for. But at the same for there to be a Wolverine you all but conveniently set up X-Men 2. So after DOFP he gets to be mischievous.

As for the trailer, maybe its the 90's pop culture, being stuck watching television on weekends, kid in me, but after that description of Apocalypse, Queen's Princes of the Universe started playing in my head as the trailer played through the action... :lol:
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

the Super Bowl TV spot.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Looks as though the Four Horsemen are (Arch)Angel, Storm, Magneto, and Psylocke. Casting details says Havok will be there, and props on casting an actual asian (Vietnamese) actress as the canonically Chinese Jubilee. It's sad that just getting the continent right is somehow a step forward.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Terralthra wrote:Looks as though the Four Horsemen are (Arch)Angel, Storm, Magneto, and Psylocke. Casting details says Havok will be there, and props on casting an actual asian (Vietnamese) actress as the canonically Chinese Jubilee. It's sad that just getting the continent right is somehow a step forward.
Jubilee could could be ethnically Chinese but from Vietnam. I work with a woman whose family describes themselves that way.

They originally did some development work on Archangel for X2. In the DVD there are x-rays of Wolverine and Archangel. It would have been interesting to see how they would have gone about having the Weapon X program make Archangel instead of Apocalypse. I think adamantium would have had to be lighter than they showed it being in X-Men Origins: Wolverine for it to have worked.

I'm not crazy about how they are doing the 4 horsemen. I always kind of liked the way they did it in the comics. For some reason this is kind of reminding me of X-Men Evolution but I can't remember exactly what Apocalypse did as far as his horsemen in that cartoon.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Also just how different looking someone from Southern China and Vietnam really are and isn't Jubilee an american citezen as well meaning there's probably more then a little racial mixing there even if she personally identifies as chinese.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Jubilee is the child of two Chinese immigrants, born in the United States.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Terralthra wrote:Jubilee is the child of two Chinese immigrants, born in the United States.
OK so she's more or less fully chinese then still China is a big place and does have borders with Vietnam so it's not that far fetched that someone from Southern china would look close enough to vietnamese person to pass in this case.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, Days of Future Past essentially threw away the entire X-men trilogy and said that this is a reboot, with history being rewritten from the 1970s onward.
IIRC, in the comics it was the time fuckery that got Apocalypse's attention to begin with.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

this one just got released today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I'm getting more interested in this. I think I spied Havok in there too, near the end in the Cerebro chamber.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

ANGELUS wrote:this one just got released today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk
It does make the movie look better than it had previously.

I'm not a huge enthusiast of Apocalypse as a villain. To me he always seemed like he should be cooler than he ends up being. I do generally like the horsemen thing, just not sure about the execution in this film. I am not liking how the trailer makes the storyline appear to be following the X-Men: Evolution take on Apocalypse and how he selects his horsemen and dominates other mutants. Magneto and Storm do make sense from how destructive they can be but I tended to like the horsemen to be a bit more literal in fitting their Death, War, Famine and Pestilence niches. It was always kind of cool how they came up with them and modified characters to fit. So I'm guessing that Archangel is Death and Psylocke is War, with maybe Storm being Famine because of the weather/crops thing. So I guess that leave Magneto as Pestilence.

Psylocke looks good, as does mohawk Storm. I'm glad they have a version of Archangel in this but I'm hesitant about the way they decided to go with the wings. It seems like they went with what they had worked up for X2 and decided not to use in that film. Which is okay, but the newest clip appears to show that Apocalypse does have some super tech to work with so it would have been nice if Archangel looked more like his comic book self, but then that's been an issue with Singer's version of the X-Men anyway.

The clip is hinting that they are going to be over using Mystique, Wolverine style, due to her or Jennifer Lawrence's popularity. That could be just for the advertisement they don't have the best track record in that regard.

Anyway, this video move things up to the "could be interesting" for me.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

What I'm intrigued by is that there isn't any Wolverine in this movie. I had thought that along with the 3rd solo film, Hugh Jackman was supposed to make this or the second Apocalypse film his last appearance.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

He was busy being captured by whatshisname at the end of DOFP.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Gaidin wrote:He was busy being captured by whatshisname at the end of DOFP.
Ah, yeah. Good point. I guess we can figure that whenever he got Adamantium-ed up happened at this point (roughly) in the late 70s or early 80s, whenever it is. So that's a reasonable explanation for him not being around.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

He was captured by Mystique at the end of DoFP.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

If they bring Wolverine back in a future movie I'd like to see them bust out Alpha Flight.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

AMT wrote:He was captured by Mystique at the end of DoFP.
Playing up his experiments with the military. Not setting him free. Something tells me we've got a perfectly valid reason not to have him.