The Hunger games *spoilers included*

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Korgeta
Padawan Learner

The Hunger games *spoilers included*

Post by Korgeta »

Orignally when I first heard about the hunger games I thought the setup was going to lean on twilight, but it was a lot better then I imagined and dark as well,the final film was no exception. I give mockingjay pt2 credit for showing war as an ugly conflict where children are killed, and that trauma is lasting. It stuck by being gritty to the end which I thought was refreshing.

Also the aliens-esque scene in the sewars was surprisingly terrifying and full of tension as I watched to see who would survive.

It does have issues, it does rely on Jennifer Lawrence performance to carry the film, other people due to either acting or the script don'testablish any key memorable performances, and the ending of the film...it just didn't know WHEN to end!!!

Other then that I can forgive it for its faults, I think star wars movie will break records but for preferred storytelling blockbuster I say it's mockingjay so far.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Hunger games *spoilers included*

Post by FaxModem1 »

To me, the treat of those films has been seeing Donald Sutherland act, and he didn't disappoint in this one. He genuinely gave the persona of a cornered dictator who knows his last days are here.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

It was sad when Prim died.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

amigocabal wrote:It was sad when Prim died.
Did the film show her dying in a double tap strike being committed by the rebels that blew up their own side's medics?
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Grumman wrote:
amigocabal wrote:It was sad when Prim died.
Did the film show her dying in a double tap strike being committed by the rebels that blew up their own side's medics?
Yes, that is what happened.
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

Sutherland's mad laughter right before his end was the high point of the entire film for me. Man's a great actor.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Sgt_Artyom wrote:Sutherland's mad laughter right before his end was the high point of the entire film for me. Man's a great actor.
Indeed. While there have been movies that he has been in that I haven't necessarily liked, I haven't found many roles in which I could criticize his acting. Even in minor roles he is always watchable. The length of time over which he has continued to make movies is also impressive.

As for the film itself, I liked that it showed some of the horrors of war in a way that so few films like this do. Especially considering the target audience of teenagers, that is a positive. While it wasn't SPR level of carnage, it was rather impressive for a PG-13 rating. It also was notable in that it killed several major characters that had been previously developed rather nicely and thus gave a greater sense of tragedy with the whole conflict.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Sgt_Artyom wrote:Sutherland's mad laughter right before his end was the high point of the entire film for me. Man's a great actor.
That was great. You could see it coming from a mile away, but it was still a great scene, and Sutherland kills it in the aftermath before being torn apart by the mob.

Overall, I liked this movie a lot more than I was expecting to. Most of the people I knew who had already gone and seen it had been pretty meh on its quality, but I thought it was good once it got rolling in the Capital - it did a better job of stretching that into a movie than the last Hobbit movie did with its material.

One of the best scenes was the "good-bye" to Gale. No real drama or noise, just them both realizing that there's an irreparable divide between them now because of what happened to Prim and children of the Capital and saying good-bye. I've seen some folks criticize Hemsworth's portrayal of Gale, but I thought he did a good job with that under-stated performance.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood